Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Egg Nog: Yay! or Nay!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

Egg nog for me is like desert. If I can't get my chocolate fix then I'll drink it. I tasted egg nog ice cream recently, what a waste of ice cream. Never again, YUCK! GAG ME WITH A SPOON.

Heck yes!
Try this from Sunset mag. It's very good

Time: 20 minutes, plus 4 hours to steep and chill.

Yield: Serves 12
Ingredients

• 1 pt. half-and-half
  • 4 cinnamon sticks (3 1/2 in. long)
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
  • 1 1/4 cups light or dark rum (optional)
  • Ground cinnamon

Preparation

1. Heat half-and-half, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a saucepan, stirring, until boiling. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour. Strain and return to pan.

2. Whisk egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk into half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture reaches 160° (don't boil). Stir in coconut milk. Let cool, then chill at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.

3. Buzz half of mixture at a time in a blender until frothy. Pour into a bowl and stir in rum if you like. Ladle into glasses and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
    Elaine Johnson, Sunset, DECEMBER 2009

W

Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump...

A big Yay to the Nog.

You just need some Brandy and the right glass for the holidays:

Don Ho, Ho, Ho,

DC

UB

On 2007-12-12 12:15, Unga Bunga wrote:

Goofy hip hop ode to the 'nog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IP9qACgvMM

UT

Egg nog? love it but it has to be ice cold for me. I used to buy it in a metal can which was the best but haven't found it that way for years.

I think we used to sell metal cans of egg not and hot choclate when I worked at the drive-in theater. We kept them hot in the hotdog bun warming cabinette.

its egg snott season already?!?

Homemade egg nog with rum... YAY! Canned egg nog... the worst of the worst!

Egg-nog related from the Food & Drinks forum

On 2010-12-05 17:53, VampiressRN wrote:
Now I normally don't like pre-mixed bottle drinks, but I have had a couple that aren't too bad...please don't shoot me, I know this is not tiki-politically correct. My friend brought over an eggnog that was actually really good. I know a home-made egg nog is best, but if you had a few of these in reserve, I think it would be worthy to serve guests. I had it over ice.

Made with real dairy cream, rum, brandy, and blended whiskey. 14.75% alcohol.

W

Every year the liquor store gets bottled egg nog and other premixed special holiday stuffs in and every year there's always a lotta it on clearance in January. I've wondered if any of it is drinkable and have always assumed it isn't. I figured this Penn. Dutch stuff would taste like Milk of Eggnogsia.

Yeah, egg nogg good. As a non-usual rum drinker, it's a good excuse to have a rum drink.

W

I'm given this thread a seasonal dash of bump-meg.

UB

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2011-12-07 14:07 ]

How things change! My 2008 post in this thread noted how my passion for egg nog resulted in a seasonal 10 pound gain, which I mostly lost, once 'the precious' became unavailable, in January.
I went low-carb, last year, and lost the 30-odd pounds I'd gained after high school. But I still love egg nog, and it is very high carb, in store-bought form.
So, this year, I have gone the homemade route, but with Splenda (or equivalent). I've learned to pasteurize my own eggs, too. Diabetics and low-carbers, take note:
Low-carb Homemade Egg Nog

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-12-11 22:50 ]

HJ

Just bought a big bottle of cheap rum for egg nog, today.

Just picked up some Egg Nog, already got the Rum!
Merry X-Mas TC.

Yay!

Some Rhum Barbancourt, Egg Nog & a dust of nutmeg, outstanding!

I'm going to make a traditional egg nog for a holiday party. What's the best rum to ad, light or dark?

On 2011-12-24 23:05, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Some Rhum Barbancourt, Egg Nog & a dust of nutmeg, outstanding!

Here you go Tigerlily.

thank you...i don't know that rum but will give it a try!

H

I say yey to eggnog.
I do a Christmas Holiday luncheon party for the ladies once a year. Here is the recipe and I know it is just wrong but they all love it and ask for seconds and thirds every time. The calories alone probably will kill you on a good day I'm sure.

Santa Sleigh Cocktail
serves 4 to 6

2 cups eggnog
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup Amaretto
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 scoops vanilla ice cream

dampen rim of glass with sugar.
use cinnamon sticks for stirring

When it's good it's good. When it's bad it's horrid! I like it wit a couple of tamales hot outta the steamer.
Merry Christmas!

Jungle Ginger & I are enjoying some right now!

The Devil's White Egg Gnog...

1/3 glass mixture of light, dark and coconut-flavored rum
splash of cinnamon syrup
two splashes of coconut liqueur
1/3 glass store-bought eggnog
1/3 glass crushed ice

mix and quaff

Tried it last night, and later dreamed I was pissing blood. Tasty, though.

[ Edited by: White Devil 2012-12-21 05:47 ]

I was a solid 'Nay' until a friend suggested I add a tablespoon of orange juice to the egg nog - it turned this nay-sayer into a believer.

I don't know what it is, but I can't find the right combination of eggnog and alcohol to please my palate. I like both individually, but when I try them together, it just doesn't seem right. A few days ago I tried some Appleton's in egg-nog. Didn't do it for me. So, I then tried some Smith & Cross. Still didn't do it. Maybe I was just hardwired as a youngster to like egg-nog by itself. Not sure. I'll try some of the suggestions here and see if I come up with something I like. It's certainly a worthy experiment.

[ Edited by: Trader Tom 2012-12-20 17:36 ]

Best use for eggnogg,
dip bread in it for making french toast.

French toast sounds fantastic. I've been wanting to make some holiday french toast using slices of Panettone. Using eggnog is brilliant, though. Maybe I'll combine the two. Hmmmm....

As much as I love rum, I often prefer bourbon in my egg nog. I also sometimes drink the egg nog plain, with a sipping-shot of rum or bourbon on the side.

TG

Five years ago I posted a recipe for traditional New England eggnog. Since I'm making lots of the stuff this season I decided to go back and see what I had posted. It had a few errors, unfortunately, so I corrected them. Sorry it took me so long. Now that it's corrected, true eggnog aficionados will enjoy it.

Here is a link to the post located on Page 3 of this thread.

T

On 2012-12-20 23:37, bigtikidude wrote:
Best use for eggnogg,
dip bread in it for making french toast.

That sounds awesome. Definitely going to try this!

UB

W

I popped on here to give this thread it's traditional seasonal bump in the pants...

Wait, that sounds wrong...Uhm...

Popped on to bump up this thread and it had already been done for me. Now I can spend the time I saved on drinkin!

TM

woofmutt, if luvin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZoUa0MgQMo

W

Last night in the cheap Christmas decor section of Target I saw a decorative sign that said OH OH OH. I have no idea what that has to do with Christmas, but y'know what does have to do with Christmas? Peppermint circus peanuts!

Circus peanuts are great cuz they're like eating something that's not meant to be eaten, memory foam or maybe some sort of sculpting material.Plus the original orange circus peanuts taste like baby aspirin and who doesn't love candy that tastes like medicine?

Now you can eat circus peanuts and feel Christmasy at the same time...Especially if you wash down the peppermint circus peanuts with an ice cold glass of egg nog.

Recipe for my Eggnog Cocktail:

Fill a cocktail shaker 1/4 full of ice
Add 8 ounces Eggnog
1 ounce Rhum Barbancourt (if you like it stronger add 2 ounces)
Shake very well

using the strainer top of the shaker
pore into a highball glass
top it off with a pinch of Nutmeg (get really fancy and add one whole cinnamon stick)

You end up with a frothy Rum & Eggnog milkshake cocktail

It's hard to find around these parts, but Rice Nog [made from rice milk] is actually pretty good with rum. And has zero cholesterol. Don't be hatin'.

Pages: 1 2 87 replies