Show your vintage Christmas and retro holiday decor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

H

Some more vintage stuff.

T

Very cool.
I like those flocked candle thingys.

Always get a laugh out of "sorry your kitty died Santa"

A bit late but I thought I would share this. I found this traditional Polish Christmas scene. Pottery figures mounted on a 16” board. A fun mix of traditional Christian and pagan goodness. The tallest figure is about 5 1/2”. I’m not Polish but it has a new home in my house for next Christmas.

Nice find uncle T. Izzat Father time or Death lurking behind The King? This scene needs some researching.I’ll pass on anything I learn
Cheers

UT

On 2017-12-31 19:52, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Nice find uncle T. Izzat Father time or Death lurking behind The King? This scene needs some researching.I’ll pass on anything I learn
Cheers

Yep. It’s the jolly old grim reaper. All part of the pagan traditions that still hang on as is the goat head on a stick and other elements. The child holding the Christmas star on a stick used to be a sun in honor of the winter solstice before being taken over by a higher authority. I like the old world traditions.

UT

Not really a vintage Christmas decoration but a big vintage piece with a bit of Christmas added on it. This piece is about five feet long and hangs on our living room wall. Merry Christmas everyone.

Tanks for posting Uncle T. Wish I had sumtin to share. Luv this thread.
Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks Nui. Hey Skip, any new additions to your vintage collection this year?

T

You know I have got a few smalls and will try to post some pics.

For some reason my computer has decided that downloading photos will be harder and I now need to put the disk from the camera into the drive.

Sooo I don't post as many pic's.

I posted last year some stuff I collect and damn this year I could not come close to winning on the ol bay of E.

Show this weekend so I will post soon, Mostly smalls anymore.

We also make small Santa hats for all our tiki mugs as you did on that wall hanging.

Looks great!

This is one of my two vintage aluminum trees. This is a classic 7.5' Evergleam with the pom branches.

My smaller one is a 4' pom, but it's currently awaiting it's tiki papercraft ornaments down in the bar, so there are no pix for that one yet.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 10:09 PM

On 2018-12-11 19:39, Sandbartender wrote:
My smaller one is a 4' pom, but it's currently awaiting it's tiki papercraft ornaments down in the bar, so there are no pix for that one yet.

Please share those tiki papercraft ornaments when you're done....

This is one of my two vintage aluminum trees. This is a classic 7.5' Evergleam with the pom branches.

Can’t wait to see your creations.
\Merry Christmas!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2018-12-11 23:46 ]

T

Cool tree.
Our Aluminum pom tree has green glass balls in the end where the branches flare out.

Those Aluminum trees are getting costly and harder to find.

T

Shell nativity scene, why did I not buy this.
It was so cool, about the size of a softball.

I got these inserts for your post light but had no post light.
So I made a light for them....

Relish tray, with hard to see xmas tree picks..
And Santa wants that drink, also with tree pick!!

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

Not mine but Mr. Disney decorated his house of the future (or was it Monsanto's) really nice for the holidays back in the 1960's

On 2018-12-11 22:09, Hamo wrote:

Please share those tiki papercraft ornaments when you're done....

I'm not entirely finished, but here's what I've got so far.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=53170&forum=18&1

On 2018-12-13 08:59, tikiskip wrote:

Wow, that came out great Skip! I didn't know they made post inserts. How fun! Unfortunately our post was gas lit once upon a time and the underground line is busted. We've talked about running electric to it but never wanted to spend the money. We tried sticking a solar powered light in but it didn't get enough sun to stay properly illuminated. Now I'm inspired to come up with some sort of solution.

T

So Mike you can find these on eBay saw three last time I looked for around 15 20 bucks.
I found mine at an antique show for a bit less.

BUT if you do have an electric line run be sure to have a outlet put in at the base of your pole as well, this will let you plug in other Christmas lights and heck they even make a Pumpkin head for these poles.

So with the outlet you could do garland with lights in it on your pole too.

AND we use the outlet for leave blowers and other uses.
I have outlets all over our yard and they come in handy for sure.

You can also just bury a heavy duty cord and run it out there and just leave it in the ground and plug that cord into an outlet so you don't really need to hared wire it into your elec panel.

Going into the fuse box seams to be the thing that people dread.

Good luck!

On 2018-12-16 06:25, tikiskip wrote:

BUT if you do have an electric line run be sure to have a outlet put in at the base of your pole as well, this will let you plug in other Christmas lights

What a good idea Skip-Mahalo! Now I can really light up my yard. Can I say that you’re uh..brilliant!
Merry Christmas

T

Thanks Nui.

We used to be so creative and make more home made types of things in America.
It's cool and fun to do, lots of times now I see some of these things at antique shows for lots o money.

Here are some cool fun and they look easy too things to make with paper.
And hey what's more retro than that?

Come on start makin $hit again America.

14 SIMPLE PAPER DECORATIONS FOR CHRISTMAS....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe8VrWRHDt0

3D Paper Christmas Tree | How to Make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZAsOQiZMEs

Easy 3D Paper Star for Christmas ⭐ DIY Christmas Decorations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=3Vz7I74pOjk&list=PLrC8vtQpdwIhqLs56ojSbkRxcj4nOLdMD&index=4&t=0s

3D Weihnachtsbaum aus Papier selber machen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9HfeJVNS70

Paper Roses - How to make paper flowers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4oDl6Qs48

Pop Up Card: Heart ❤ DIY Valentine's Day Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJ-Yb1nXyA

On 2018-12-11 13:48, uncle trav wrote:
Thanks Nui. Hey Skip, any new additions to your vintage collection this year?

Ok so here is the new stuff, well most of it.

Man I got about 9 of these lights was going to put them in my restaurant one day but that never happened.

Just got this one for 10 bucks with the box.
Got it from a guy named "Mark"

This came with Auto lite sparkplugs saying they would install them at "your convenience"

I made these out of paper and they are about the size of a quarter.
BUT you can make them any size really, plus add a stick to the end and make drink picks for your tiki xmas drinks.

The link to make them is in one of the links I put above.
I think I made over a dozen of these this year they are fun to make, great for package decorations too.

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

It's a sad day cuz we're starting to break down our Christmas house. Meant to share these photos last week.

We have a few blowmolds. Try to add one or two to the collection each year.

The turquoise aluminum tree is on a spinner with a color wheel pointed up at it.

Some ceramic peg trees plus a wreath and cactus along with some other goodies new and old.

Some old and new (handmade by us) putz houses and festive serving ware.

Some newly acquired barware courtesy of Sippin Santa and Miracle along with some vintage glassware.

Some random stuff.

Snowman village.

Christmas time is our favorite. My wife made my shirt and her skirt.

EDIT: She also quilted the tree skirt!

We have plenty of other odds and ends all over the place but this gives you an idea how crazed we (particularly she) is.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2019-01-01 15:29 ]

Wow Mike! My wife CeCe and I were both watering at the mouth at your treasures.
Mahalo for sharing.
Happy New Year to both of you

H

This would be a dream house to visit for Christmas, love all the decorations specially the huge standing Santa by the window, great job.

Thanks y'all. We started putting things up BEFORE Thanksgiving this year to allow us more time to enjoy it all.

Hilda, the giant santa by the window is a new addition. The wife found him for $100 at a flea market last month which is a great deal for one that size. I do not know where we're going to store him though.

K

Wow mikehooker, an amazing array of Christmas decor! Fantastic to see. Thanks for posting.

It’s almost that time of year for Skip to blowout the neighborhood with retro holiday cheer :D

On 2019-01-02 13:57, mikehooker wrote:
Thanks y'all. We started putting things up BEFORE Thanksgiving this year to allow us more time to enjoy it all.

You running late or what Mike? Reviewing your pix from last year I noticed that you used that large Santa head indoors (pic # 6) I have a similar one (page 10 this thread) that I too will mount indoors this year. our weather here in California is usually mild but my piece is old and fragile and I hope to enjoy it for a few more seasons. thanks for the idea.
Happy Thanksgiving Day and looking forward to you appearance in April.
Dave and CeCe
Btw, I was just teasing bout you running late. I’m usually the last one in my neighborhood to get my stuff out.

T

That mikehooker must be putting stuff up now with all he puts up.

Just got done with what I hope was my last mow with the riding mower, always end up mowing grass on Thanksgiving, it's kinda a nice tradition for me.

Some neighbors think I cut my grass too much so it's really nice on Thanksgiving because they are all gone so I don't feel like they are in their windows cussing me.

"I’m usually the last one in my neighborhood to get my stuff out."
Our neighbors are kinda deadbeats as they don't put much out and heck they are all younger than us.
Wish we lived in one of those crazy we ALL decorate for the holidays neighborhoods.

But the wife is a no Christmas till after Thanksgiving type person, we do have a bit of Thanksgiving décor out.

Damn I'm still painting a Halloween blow mold for next year.

It's coming never fear.

Happy Thanksgiving holiday decorator people you make the world a cheesier fun place!!

Oh, don't you worry, we've been putting Christmas up since the Halloween decor started coming down a few weeks ago. Not sure if I ever posted any Halloween pics but it's starting to rival our Xmas madness. The interior of our house is mostly finished (I'll post pics soon). We just got all the blow molds down from the attic a couple days ago so we'll set them up outside this weekend. Honestly not sure why we decided to put the big Santa inside last year and if that's the plan this year. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

T

The Christmas Story house!
Yep we went in the summer, it was fun.

That's retro right?

My wife fits under the sink where Randy drank his milk

T

Hey check out KFCs new Christmas type stuff.

I think the fire logs go right to eBay as no store sells em far as I can tell, they smell like chicken when you burn them.

Want one very much.

We did get the buckets and they are cool with a Col Sanders tree topper and Chicken drumstick window curtains and stuff like that.

The retro stuff we will look for in the future....

Hey Skip, those KFC buckets are great. My wife got one but not sure if she knew about the fire logs.

Alright, this is a bit late this year, but as the decor is starting to come down my wife took some pics. Lots more added this year.

Til next year...

T

The turquoise aluminum tree is so cool!
Heck it all is your house looks great!

Those aluminum trees are like really pricy now, that color I have never seen.

Like how you used the KFC bucket going to do that one.

We try to find at least a few new Christmas type stuff every year and also make at least a few things.

Will try to post some picks of the new stuff.
Hey break out the Valentines day stuff!

Mike, The pix of your Christmas collection leaves my mouf watering. My wife and I especially like that happy holidays sign/plaque in the middle of pic 7. Happy New year to both of you-see ya in April.
David vand CeCe from L A.

H

Love the pink MCM house with snowman in the front on the middle shelf and everything else all over your house.

T

Ok Mike so you talk about the Putz house and I had never heard of that before.
So I looked it up and wow there is a lot out there on them.

Short for Puzten they were at first filled with candy.
Damn you can find patterns to make your own and even buy new windows and doors for the old ones that are messed up or for the new ones you build.
They even make the "Coconut snow" and other stuff for them.

You need to make a Putz house that is a replica of the house you live in now, this is a project that I want to do some time.

Here are a few sites that have some cool info on them....
Also put these here so I don't forget these sites as well.

The History of the Putz Village
https://goldenglow.org/2014/12/history-putz-village/

Favorite Putz House Sites
http://www.cardboardputzhouses.com/favorites.html

Building a Vintage-Style Cardboard Stone (or Brick) Cottage
https://bigindoortrains.com/primer/buildings/stonecottage/stone_cottage.htm

Building Your Own Putz Houses
http://www.cardboardputzhouses.com/building/index.html

UT

I have a bit of experience with working in miniature and this looks like a fun project.

T

It's been some time since you made a miniature tiki hut Trav.
Maybe a Christmas tiki hut will be next.

Kinda makes me want to try to make a small cardboard Kahiki.

BUT if you look at those sites they have made castles and all sorts of cool buildings.
There is even a Tiki Central type blog site for these houses.
Like I need another hobby.

Thanks for the kind words about our house and decor everyone! I'm sure we'll accumulate more for next year.

David, looking forward to meeting you and CeCe in a few months!

On 2020-01-05 15:36, tikiskip wrote:
The turquoise aluminum tree is so cool!
Those aluminum trees are like really pricy now, that color I have never seen.

I was a little upset when my wife first brought it home and told me she paid like $200 for it. In hindsight though, I'm really glad she did. I love it and I think that's actually a very reasonable price considering how rare the turquoise ones are, especially in this size. I can't even find one on ebay past sales to compare it to. Overall, she's great at finding deals on this stuff. Most of the blowmolds she's gotten over the years were like $5-20 each. She spent $50 on the Santa with the puppies, a personal fave of mine, and $100 on the giant Santa that we keep in doors. Those are the exceptions.

On 2020-01-08 12:38, tikiskip wrote:

You need to make a Putz house that is a replica of the house you live in now, this is a project that I want to do some time.

Ask and you shall receive!!!

I'm not a very crafty person but managed that somewhat likeness seven years ago. Couldn't figure out how to make the additional pitched roof in the front but close enough. We were inspired by this tutorial on Retro Renovation's site:

https://retrorenovation.com/2012/11/09/kate-makes-a-midcentury-modern-putz-house-download-her-free-pattern/

My wife made the mid century home they show there and an A-Frame.

On 2020-01-09 09:19, tikiskip wrote:

Kinda makes me want to try to make a small cardboard Kahiki.

Do it!!!

T

Wow!
Your houses look great!
Now you have a full year to make a lamp post for it and some blow molds for the front yard, C9s on the house.
Sculpey Clay should do the trick.

Hey one more thing do you have the address printed on the bottom of your small house you made?
one day when you are long gone somebody might find it and look up that address to see where it came from.

I like leaving little road maps like that, we won't be here forever.

You should see what I write in some of my tiki lights I make.

sculpey clay Christmas ideas.....
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1575&bih=752&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=R0oZXrCiOdCE9PwP0Lyr0Aw&q=sculpey+clay+christmas+ideas&oq=sculpey+clay+christmas+ideas&gs_l=img.1.0.0.46335.50598..51950...0.0..0.77.788.12......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67j0i7i30j0i5i30j0i8i7i30.Uw41ePuCrNQ

T

This is a picture test, but hey it fits here.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2020-01-16 06:33 ]

T

Bumping this thread for 2022. THIS below was my Christmas card last year. Remember, Christmas is in Summer in Australia. The objects are all mine (I've had Santa for quite a long time) and were montaged in Photoshop. SOME special people got it MINUS that strategically placed seagull!

santaholidayBIRD

[ Edited by TIKIGIKI on 2022-11-05 22:13:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies