Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Show your vintage Christmas and retro holiday decor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

Love that coaster.

OK! Here's what it looks like this year.:

C'mon folks! Let's see what you've got.

L

Nice decor BK!

Awesome display BK. That color wheel is the best. I'd like to see more of that room also.

OGR

Great decor and collectibles. Did you steal my "what i collect list"?

Maybe you should show us what you collect....hmmmm? :D

One last bump!

Well this is as retro as we got this year. Everyone I know hates our white tree and that's why we love it and a Christmas card pic from our photo shoot that didn't make the cut but was my favorite of the lot. Mrs. uncle trav picked another photo for the card. Merry Christmas.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-12-24 04:42 ]

Here is my girlfriend's childhood tree that we put up in the new house for our first Christmas.

It's a Holi-Gay tree that her mother bought in 1960. Her mom told me it caused the first fight in her marriage. He was very upset she spent $25 on a tree when she only made around 220 to 250 a month. :)

I am glad she bought it and we can enjoy it. I hope to find a color wheel to pair up with it next time we put it up. All but three of the ornaments are from the tree I grew up with by way of the tree that my mother grew up with, so it's great to mesh the families like this.

The train is my sisters that my dad bought for her when she was a kid. It's an LGB Circus train and even plays a few tunes. My friends 4-year old daughter absolutely loved it.

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu 2009-12-26 23:49 ]

Nice tree & a great story. Merry Christmas!

Here is my vintage pom tree. About half are vintage ornaments. Yes all of the packages are color coordinated.

I'm loving all the vintage displays.

Darilyn

That is a killer tree. Where were you at Christmas time? Is it still set up? Mine is?

On 2009-12-20 07:59, uncle trav wrote:
I'd like to see more of that room also.

Yeah, c'mon Rick, show us your room!!!! In fact, show everyone your bathroom too!! Pin Ups, Hot Rods, Tiki and Custom Cars.....doesn't get any better!

Tis the season folks. Any new additions?

TZ

Back in the early 70's my dad and our neighbor gradually escalated an undeclared Christmas decoration war. Each vied to see how many lights they could hang from their houses. I think my dad actually had to jumper around the fuse box to add extra electrical circuits.

Then one year my dad bought a plastic, lighted Frosty the Snow Man. The neighbor responded in force with a light-up Santa and THREE reindeer, which went up on the roof. I don't think we ever took the lead again. Eventually Santa was retired to their attic, where he slumbered for decades. The neighbors recently sold their house, and nostalga led me to ask if they would consider selling the set. They graciously gave it to me. I expected to have to do a lot of work on a 30+ year old set, but a good bath and a little wiring repair put Santa back in business.

Whoa, cool!!!

Great story & great set!

Ho, Ho, Ho! BUMP

this is usn's for this year -

TZ

A bit earlier in this string I posted photos of the 40 year old Santa and reindeer, relics of a long-past decoration war between my father and our neighbor. It turns out my sister still had the first salvo in that war - a light-up Frosty The Snow Man, tucked back in the attic. Now, at long last, the two adversaries are now compatriots.

Love it!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

As for the fake fireplace...we live in Florida, sunny and 65 degrees today...we do what we can :)

Santa's lost his ribbon bow tie, but these have been my favorite Christmas decorations for pretty much my entire life. I remember having to insist to my family more than one year that they were NOT going to be thrown out or left hidden away in a box. I'm very happy that they've now come to live with me!

T

Found this Pom Pom tree at a yard sale this summer in it's original box.. The box was pretty chewed up but I managed to save a piece of it with its original sticker purchased from Woolworths on Broadway, Newburgh NY.. :D

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2011-08-06 16:33 ]

That's a great tree!

T

Every summer when yard sale season starts and I find the occasional vintage ornament or piece, I stick them in a box and the box sits in the corner of the dinning room until Christmas time and that box is pretty damn full right now.

Well on top of what we've already picked up this spring & summer, today I found these.. Not a bad haul for a day.. :)

And yard sale season isn't over yet! Merry Christmas in August!

BK

Nice score!

BK

BUMP

Well here ya go. This was a gift from my sister this year. She found the deer a few years back in Florida and couldn't bring herself to get rid of them. She had them stuck with another sleigh. Now my brother-n-law found the sleigh at a job here in Michigan a couple of months ago. A little on line research showed that the two came together as a set originally. A little beat up but that makes it all the better in my book. Altogether about two feet long and Santa lights up.

Atta boy, Trav. I was beginning to think this thread was dead. I have that same piece. I first saw it in the book "Kitschmasland" by Travis Smith & was able to snag one on e-bay. I gotta tell ya, though, I haven't found anything new this year. The pickins are really slim. I'm going out, again today, for another search. I'll be sure to post if I find anything.

Any new old stuff out there ??????

Well I can't leave well enough alone on this thread. This large vintage beauty was found and saved by my brother-n-law at a garage sale for a quarter. Built by the seller's family member in the late fifties as the story goes. Large, over the top, tacky and it even lights up. A true holiday classic!

8T

That's horribly gaudy and I love it; the price was right too! Have a very Merry Christmas Uncle Trav

Thanks 8FT Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Found this 8” Santa at a yard sale years ago. The original box was in sad condition but as you can see Santa is in pristine shape. He is battery operated although he has an open in his circuit which I'll fix when I get a round tuit.The previous owner got it as a kid in the early sixties and he hung on to it til I came along..

Great pictures! Maybe blowmold Christmas decorations will be manufactured again. They seem quite popular on the over the top homes they show decorated for Christmas on TV.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Blow mold decorations are alive and well. Many are made from the vintage molds here in America. Even a big Santa's sleigh complete with eight reindeer. Maybe it's just a Michigan thing as they hold up well year after year in the snow.

Uncle T, I luv em but most of the ones I see for sale here are very faded and brittle from our bright California sun ( in the 80’s this Christmas).
I have my eye on a pristine six ft, Santa that a local restaurant put’s up every year indoors). He is illuminated and looks like he was modeled after the 50’a-60’s Coca- Cola Santa ads. Might have to get in line though.
Cheers to you.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-12-26 14:46 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-01-03 21:19 ]

T

Great thread!
I like the old Christmas gift tags.
Like these.
Got some juke box song tags as well.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:**:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

Great stuff, Skip! Trav, that piece is amazing! I love it! I scored absolutely nothing new, this year, but I'm going out, again, this weekend. Maybe I'll find something discounted!

You're right, Uncle Trav, you can still buy new blow mold Christmas decorations.
There are quite a few online sources and several of them are having half-off sales.

Picked up two “nutcracker’s and the penguin in the mid-seventie’s.
The colors look pretty good when the pieces are illuminated but are barely perceptible during the day. The surfaces are not as smooth as the older 60’s blowmold product’s. Tried to toss em a couple of times but the wife won’t have it.

G

That penguin is great! Also, those holiday juke strips a few posts up are interesting. I helped a friend sort through old jukebox stock so I saw a lot of those song tags but no holiday themed ones.

gabbahey

T

It's that time of year.......
Just got the snowman and Penguin blow molds for $20.00 and $30.00 dollars not bad.
Show yer décor.

Not mine.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••**•
MERRY CHRISTMAS from TIKISKIP!

Merry Christmas back to you Skip! I’m intrigued by your house #’s at the top right of your blow mold’s. Are they resin? Would you post a close-up please?
Cheers

T

Here is a thread that may help you.
They were made by Luckydesigns, he is the singer in the 'world famous' Hula Girls.
Made of wood, and he may be able to make some for you.
We love ours.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42065&forum=17&vpost=673749

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

I noticed Spike's work right away!

My Wife and I were compelled to stop at a yard sale in San Marino, an upscale suburb N/E of L A. It looked like a waste of time till doggone it, my wife saw the beat up Blow Mold snowman. I knew she would buy it so I suggested that it was not worth more than 10 bucks. I was sure they wanted double that and we would not take him home with us. She walked away with this guy for 3 dollars. He’s missing his nose and the cord and light but that’s an easy fix. He’s about 4 ft tall.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies