Name: The Willows
Type:restaurant
Street:901 Hausten Street
City:Honolulu
State:HI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
We had dinner here about three years ago and much of the tiki decor is gone such as the floats and some of the thatch after a remodel. It is still worth seeing if you are in Honolulu.

O

That place is still there? It looks cool as hell. Too bad they got rid of the thatch and tikis though :(

I will still check it out on my next trip to da islands!

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I'm glad to see someone else knows about this place. My Grandparents lived in Waikiki in the 60's & 70's & the Willows was one of their favorite spots. My wife & I went for the 1st time in 1982 while on our honeymoon. The place was definately for the locals as it was in the middle of a neighborhood & you defintely had to know where it was to find it.

The place was so original, beautiful, so incredibly authentic & un-touristy. When we visited again in 1989, we ran into Joe Penny & his girlfriend as they were filming their TV show. Anyway, the food was great & you could not get any better atmosphere as it was like eating in the most wonderful hawaiian gardens.

Unfortunately, we went back last year to show our kids and found a mere shadow of what used to be. The original had gone out of business, was sold to another who tried to fix it up but took out most of the plants, turned it into a buffet, and I was sad I could not have just remembered it for what it once was. I will never go back but instead cherish the memories. I still have the original menu and a matchbook somewhere...

Thanks for the memories!

Aloha,
Kahuna

I have a brochure from The Willows, it is one of my favorite Hawaii brochures.

The artwork on the renderings is awesome, love the tree through the roof.

Now this is style, the Luau Pavillion:

Some info on the owner and the place and some great interior photos:

Finally a couple more postcards. I like the one with the giant clam shell fountain.

DC

Forgot the matchbook.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-10-31 22:38 ]

UT

Here's another matchbook.

Trav,

Nice matchbook, I like the photo of the entrance. Does not look like the palm tree is growing through the roof as shown in the brochure rendering.

Here is another rendering from the Ford recipe book.

DC

L
Luki posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2011 4:24 PM

Postcard on eBay:

Three fold brochure... the middle back panel is glued down to the scrapbook page...but here are the other pages...

Pages: 1 9 replies