Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Bowana's Other Crafts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 856 replies

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 8:57 AM

Yeah, Bowie...wow man!! Great stuff as usual :)

T

So good! I love the faux texture you apply as well. That's gotta take some time. Nice, nice work.

B

Awwww, Sir B :) You is just "it" dude!

Folks, we are damn lucky here on TC to have Sir B playing with us...he is truly a masterful sculptor! It has been a joy watching him throw these works together, and have him kick it with me over in my studio. For you ceramicists: Sir B is pinching these figures up into shape with small pieces of clay, working the piece hollow as he goes. This new tiki is case in point...he worked it from the bottom up - first the base - added legs (solid) - then he began working (pinching) small bits of clays up-words, letting the clay set up, and bracing the figure as he works. The body and the head area on this tiki are hollow (thin walled). For those of you who have worked in clay, you know, this sh#t ain't easy to do. Sir B makes it look easy.

Sure, that's all great and all, but what really impresses me about this latest tiki is how, like crashing atoms, it explodes classic sculpture, the fierceness of Alien, "Tiki", and the functional aspects of a drinking vessel together in a sonic booom! The "S" curve shown in this figure is very classic take on the figure, and adds a "full tilt boogie" movement feeling to what is really just standing still. Certainly, something you don't see in Tiki everyday. Very nice....

I agree with Master Toe Dave, I would go solid black with this guy too, but I'm not sure if I would go with a gloss or, a shiny satin type of mantra ray skin type of black instead of glossy??...I don't know...I would suggest glazing the inside a different glossy color perhaps...it would scream "I am a mug" if you did that. At any rate, the sculpture part of this mug is so strong that it speaks for it's self...you don't need to get all tricky with the glazing. I'll baby him over here for you while he dries, and get him through a successful firing for ya boss...and, oh yeah, I almost forgot...'git a rope!' :lol: You nut! :lol:

Damn, Dav, that guy is ready to kick ASS!

I like how it's so classic and new at the same time!

I agree with the black glaze, not glossy.

What's next? :P

L

oups...

[ Edited by: laojia 2010-04-14 20:51 ]

L

As before, I am extremely impressed by the dynamics of your sculptures ... It gives me much to think about ...

Keep posting!

And thank's to Babalu for the story telling.

J.

L

wow really get a good idea for size.

I'm with the Toe...black glaze all the way!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-04-14 21:53 ]

B

On 2010-04-14 11:36, Babalu wrote:

I just can't believe my eyes :o
This piece is outstandingly awesome.

I love it,

Bravo Sir B.

B.

T

Whoa.

I mean... Whoa...

I mean... like whoa... I'm speechless at the amazing amount of talent on display here!!!

AWESOME, AWESOME work! The Ali'i mug and the Li'l Tuff Guy (is that the name of it?) are incredible enough... then you blow us away with your wahine mug (love the top!) and then you clobber us with that last piece... in-friggin-credible!!!!

And they're all mugs! Outstanding!!!

Some of those tikis have reminded my of aliens, especially the ones with the big triangle eyes, 'cos are those really supposed to be eyes, or do they not have eyes, like the aliens don't have eyes, and then I don't like to think about it too much, 'cos it starts to creep me out... (guess i got over my speechlessness)

But KILLER WORK!!!

T

Great design, very dynamic, awesome!!!

FUNKY BUTT-LOVIN'!!!!! :o

IT'S A PINCH POT!!! That's like Leonardo da Vinci painting the Mona Lisa with a TOOTHBRUSH!!!

Amazing techniques and double amazing results, beautiful work Dave

B

Alien Aloha now waits at the House of Babalu to be fired. In the mean time, here's a sneak preview of Plain Jane before the glaze fire. I used underglazes on this piece. The colors will change dramatically after the firing. They're going to get darker and more vibrant. Last thing to do will be to put a clear gloss coat on top.

leleliz- Thank you, my good woman!
seeksurf-Thanks, bud! Right back at cha!
jab tiki- Hey Johnny! Where ya been? Thanks for checking in, bro.
GROG- Thanks. Yep, Bowana sick monkey.
mp- Thanks Mike!
Creative Chimp- Oops! Need some TP? Thanks for the comps!
LLT- You butt-looker! Thanks for stopping by, ya weirdo!
BigToe- Black glaze it is! Deity, huh? Takes one to know one, bub! Thanks for looking!
TikiG- Thanks for visiting, Greg!
TheBigT- Putting on that texture is only fun for the first 5 minutes. It gets old reeealy fast!
Babalu- Thanks for the history, my friend! (saved me from doing it!) I'm gonna have to spend a good long time studying in the black glaze department.
4WD- I was gonna call it "The Ambassador of Kick-Yer-Assador" but I think that name has already been taken. :P What's next? Well, you'll see...
laojia- Merci for your visit!
leleliz- Hey, you're back!
benella-Merci, Benjamin! Merci!
tobunga- You said a lot for being speechless! You are correct, the triangle shapes are eyes. They look like part of a headdress but they're not. The Giger Xenomorphs had no eyes, but then they were freaky aliens, right?! Thanks for the complements, Sir October!
Tahitiki- Thanks for stopping by!
MadDogMike- Thanks Mike! Yeppers, it's a pinch pot!!

More later. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Bowie

L

she looks great!

you have a way with women... even if they are ceramic ;p

WOW, Bowie!

PLEASE make a Limited Run of that "Alien Ku"!

PPPPPPLEASE!!!!!

S

Nice!

Dave,sick work as usual, plane Jane is fantastic,can't wait to see her after firing,you continue to astound and amaze with your detail, Peace, Kustomtiki.

Dave, we're carving here at my pad this Saturday and I would be blessed if you were able to make it. PM me for the addy if you can come.

L

Bowana did you glaze the alien/tiki/Aloha mug yet????

B

Holy Cow Bowz,, You are about to get to Portrait sculpting mugs.
Incredible stuff!

B

Oh Yeah,, and THIS One is totally Off the WAll, you are just higher than Amazing with your skillz.

M
mijaba posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 3:27 PM

simply incredible. Does she have a sister?

H
harro posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 5:39 AM

ah........................................

I'm speechless..............

unbelievable!!!

its been a while but you've been a busy Bowie!!!!!!!

when are you gonna make some production line pieces so we can all drink out of one of these masterpieces??

B

leleliz-Haha, thanks! Yes, maybe I have a way with ceramic women, but with real women...well, that's another story. :wink:

Tiki Lee-Thanks, Lee. A limited run of the Aloha Alien would be nice. The mold making would be a nighmare though!!

seeksurf-Thanks for your visit, bro!

kustomtiki-Hey John! Thanks for stopping by. Say hello to the family for me!

Billy- Sorry I couldn't make the Chop. How did your freshly sharpened knife work out?

Benz-Portrait sculpting mugs, hmm..I like that!

mijaba-No sister yet. But give me some time and there will be!

harro-Hey, were ya been? Nice to hear from you. Hope Jolly ol' England is treating you right!

Plain Jane is glazed, but not finished being fired yet. She's being difficult. :)
On the other hand, The Aloha Alien came out quite well.

The pictures give it a bit of a brownish hue, but it's really a dark charcoal grey.

Thanks for your visit!

Bowie

T

Bowie, sir!

Congrats to you for creating the latest Polypop icon - the Aloha Alien!!

This bad boy is spectacular...I, like many to follow, will want one of these in thier collection.

Thanks for posting this morning and please keep us posted if any brothers come up for sale, will ya?

Cheers! G

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 11, 2010 12:03 PM

Another one GROG gotta have, but can't afford. Damn you, Bowie!

Turns out "Bowana" is Pukapukan for "badass crazy white dude who makes rad stuff from mud" :lol:

B

On 2010-05-11 10:48, Bowana wrote:

Great job Sir B! This is one for the history books here!

oh yeah, 'git a rope' :wink:

B

I think this will start a whole new branding of Alien tiki, though it has been hovering for awhile.
Incredible piece going down into the History books for sure.

C

yes yes very cool mug really.

B

TikiG, GROG, Maddogmike, Babalu, Benzart, and Clarita, thanks and gracias for visiting!

Here is the Plain Jane Mug with the final glaze:

I used underglazes and a clear gloss over it. The black on the hair wanted to burn off which left gray streaks (Oh no! Not gray hair already!) I had to do some touching up and re-fired it, so Plain Jane is looking good.

Here's a preview of a coming attraction:

Thanks for looking! :)

Bowie

I saw Jane the other day at the Babalu Center of the Clay Universe and she is anything but plain! I tried to "accidentally" take her instead of my mug but Babalu had your back B'wana :lol:

She's gorgeous, Dav. Almost alive! I think she blinked!

L

Many will fall in love...

Awesome work!

Outstading! looks so GOOD.

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 27, 2010 12:25 AM

On 2010-05-26 20:10, Bowana wrote:
Here's a preview of a coming attraction:

So, you're going to do a self-portrait next.

Nice job on Plain Jane Bowie. Yet another winner.

That "Plain Jane" is going to be worth every penny of the $2000 plus she fetches!!! You're amazing, Dave. I got $800 for my knife on Ebay because I posted that you were the last one to sharpen it. Do I owe you royalies?

T

HAHA Self portriat

Love the monkey biz

B

Bows, Totally Off the Wall Incredible piece and I'm sure she will win way more hearts than she can handle. She's a Heartbreaker for sure and You're the Man!

B

Thanks for the comments, guys! Billy, where's my royalties for the knife?! :)

Here's some shots of my "self portrait" (thanks GROG)

The Funky Mug Monkey is dying to sell YOU a Tiki Mug!
Would you buy a mug from this guy? Hmm...

I've seen a few Fez Monkeys here on TC and have been wanting to
make one myself for a long time. So I finally went ahead and did it
using a mirror for reference. Ha ha ha...

BTW, check out my new gallery thread! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37290&forum=21&0

Thanks for your visit!

Bowie

Hell of a nice job on the monkey, Dave!!!

Dave seems your materpieces are far between but always worth the wait! Rockin' monkey!

B

On 2010-07-25 21:04, Bowana wrote:
Thanks for the comments, guys! Billy, where's my royalties for the knife?! :)

Here's some shots of my "self portrait" (thanks GROG)

The Funky Mug Monkey is dying to sell YOU a Tiki Mug!
Would you buy a mug from this guy? Hmm...

I've seen a few Fez Monkeys here on TC and have been wanting to
make one myself for a long time. So I finally went ahead and did it
using a mirror for reference. Ha ha ha...

BTW, check out my new gallery thread! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37290&forum=21&0

Thanks for your visit!

Bowie

damn fine DAVE!!! He needs a leach and a bigger tiki beside him playing and organ grinder. hehe...

(git-a-rope) :)

Really cool work Babalu. Gotta love fez monkeys, especially
when they look like Grog.

B

Aww, Quit Monkeying around and do some Real work for a change....:o
Plain Jane,, Yeah, RightEvery woman would Love to be so Plain.
Awesome stuff Sir!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 26, 2010 1:12 PM

On 2010-07-26 12:13, congatiki wrote:
Really cool work Babalu. Gotta love fez monkeys, especially
when they look like Grog.

NOT Babalu's monkey, this Bowana's monkey and it look alot better than GROG. ( Maybe when GROG was 15 years younger.)

Wow...now I'm really embarrased. Great fez monkey Bowana....sorry for
giving earlier props to that other ceramics guy. You are both so great that
it confuses me.

Thanks for setting me straight Grog!

S

Outstanding!

E

Amazing mug - very well done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 856 replies