B

Thanks, LVG Treg! Glad you like it.

Here's some shots of the Lono mug during it's creation

Bowie

Quite a few of your items at Geckos
Awesome......

Jon

B

Thanks, Jon. Hope you are having/had fun!

Here is a sneak peek at the mug I am working on now.
Making a seahorse is a bit of a departure from my usual
Kona Style and Moai mugs, but I feel one must diversify.

I'll be producing these myself. At this point I have not yet
decided in what quantity. It's 9" tall, but I'm expecting it
to have shrunk some in the castings.
Gotta get busy and prep this beast for molding now!

Thanks for visiting!

Bowie

C
cy posted on Sat, Dec 14, 2013 3:46 PM

What a cool, creative mug this is Bowana!

A continuation of your killer skills.....
Awesome

S

Wow! Could you make it a little less perfect please? :P Nice work, as always, David.

I love that seahorse design

Nice to see you posting some new pieces :)

B

You're the man Sir B!

The new design is most awesome! I can't wait to see where you take it from here.

I'll give you a holler when I get back into town...

B'WANA!!! Well done. May the mold making and casting fairies be with you.

T

Dave, dig the seahorse. Look forward to seeing it multiply....

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Jan 7, 2014 6:24 PM

Thanks for visiting, cy, hang10, swizzle, SandraD, Babalu, MDM, and TikiAno :)

it took longer to get to the moldmaking than I thought, what with the holidays and such. Or was I putting it off due to the fact that I LOOOVE making molds....?

I was at first going to go with a 3 piece (R, L, and bottom), but upon my better judgement I decided to split the left and right sides and make a 5 piece.

De-molding the castings will be much easier. With the extra mold pieces there's less chance of something getting hung up.

Now to let the mold dry and start casting a school of seahorses! (or is it a flock of seahorses?)

Thanks for stopping by!

Bowie

H

Bowie your work is amazing, I am definitely a fan.

B

Thanks, Hilda my ol' carving buddy! I saw you from across the room at the ITMP, but you disappeared. I was anchored to my table so I was unable to chase you down. Haha, maybe next time!

Bowie

B

What the...? Is this Moai going to clown school?

Nope, I placed colored stickers to be used as a mask for
the effect I was looking for.

Then sprayed black underglaze.

Then clear gloss, and Bam! A custom glazed one off mug!

It's named Randy Rhoads.

\m/ Rock on, TikiCentral! \m/

Bowie

Great technique B'wana, I'll have to file that away in my memory bank :wink:

T

Great job!
Wow, the meticulous placement of the dots.
Are your eyes crossed now?

You have joined the MadDogMike experimenters club. This is just so cute. Some day I'm going to try some fun experiments and join the club. Wendy

T

Nice- I saw you post the newest Moai on FB and I had no idea how you achieved that glaze job. Thanks for the step by step- looks amazing, and great idea/ execution. Thanks and hope to see you soon...

V

LOVE IT!!

C

Very interesting glaze, looks complicated!

H

Love it also. I am a fan.

The 1st picture reminded me of something....

Looks great, as always...

Jon

B

MadDogMike- Thanks! Glad to have been able to provide you with that tidbit of knowledge.
tikiskip- My eyes were crossed for a few days, but I got better! Thanks for visiting.
danlovestikis- Wendy! You are the chairperson of the Fun Experimenters Club!
TikiAno- Thanks, Dave! Yeah, I didn't get into how I did the glaze on FB . TC is more inquisitive group so I saved it for here.
VanTiki- Mahalo, my island friend!
Clarita- ¡Hola, amiga! Si, el proceso fue un poco complicado, pero divertido!
hiltiki- Thanks Hilda! And I am YOUR fan!
hang10tiki- Thanks Jon! At first I thought those were something you picked up at Woodstock, but then realized it's candy. Oh my!

Here is the first round of glazed seahorse mugs

I'm making 5 of each of these colors....

...and 5 of each of these colors. Later I'll be doing a few fancy custom one offs.

More are on the way!

Giddyup, lil' doggies!

Thanks for visiting :)

Bowie

I really like the seahorses and everything else you make!

BOWIE!
Awesome new woiks in the woiks here!
Those seahorses are DIVINE!
Beautiful and flawless
i wish all elaborations of long lost mugs
got such splendid updates....
Lovin your brain
especially when it thinks
Polka-dots
and then just commands your body to make it!
RIGHT ON!
:)

C

Oh wow! this are great too, you are doing wonders with the glazes,
so neat, perfect and they look sort of vintage, awesome, felicitaciones great job!

Awesome.........

T

I was working at an event this morning (in Mira Mesa), the designer looks to be a Bowana fan! :wink:

Hope all is well!

V

woah Woah WOAH -

What is this:

Have I missed out - or is this a new piece? über spooky cool!

B

tikilongbeach - Thanks for visiting!
llt- Thanks, Kenny! Yep, when my brain says polka dots, my body OBEYS!
Clarita - Hola! I wanted to make a sea horse in every color in the world, but had to stop myself from going crazy! Gracias!
hang10tiki - Thanks, Jon!
TikiAno - Wow! Now that's my kind of merry-go-round!
VanTiki - I wish that was my design! It was made by a friend of mine, Rob Maya (his real name!) He should make a mug of that.

Here's the latest:

17 sea horses (there's another shelf full underneath) and one Moai in the can! Planning on bisque firing this weekend!
Thanks for all the inquiries on the sea horses. Progress in ceramics is slow.....

Thanks for visiting :)

Bowie

I need a seahorse!!

Those seahorses are fantastic and I love the colors you have used.

• Dale
V

On 2014-03-25 17:27, Bowana wrote:
Progress in ceramics is slow.....

SO painfully true!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 26, 2014 12:50 PM

Especially if you procrastinate like GROG.

B

Thanks for visiting, y'all!
SandraDee: Let me know what color (it's going to be a while now. See below)
littlegiles: Thanks! It was hard to decide which colors to glaze them. There's so many that would be perfect for a seahorse!
VanTiki: yep, it's also dangerous! (see below)
GROG: Quit procrastinating! That's why GROG still caveman!

The horror! The horror! The kiln gods are so merciless sometimes.

I apologize to those on the waiting list for seahorse mugs. Looks like it's going to be an extended wait.
I have already begun casting new ones..

Bowie

S

Wow, that really sucks David. :( I gather they were all from the same firing. Were they all on the same shelf together? Did any other pieces survive? Any idea what could have caused it? Is that enough questions? :D

B

That's a good question, Robbie. I'm not sure what went wrong. There were a few survivors on both the top and bottom shelves, but I lost most of the load. Since the pieces were not stuck together, it looks like they broke during the cool down. I suspect that I cracked open the lid of kiln too soon and they cooled too fast.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2014 10:56 AM

On 2014-04-20 08:41, Bowana wrote:
T I suspect that I cracked open the lid of kiln too soon and they cooled too fast.

GROG think you're right. Sorry about the broken mugs. GROG let the kiln cool down completely unless GROG late for art show and have to open it the day of the art show. But, it's still pretty damned cool before GROG crack lid on kiln.

A darn shame... those really are beautiful pieces, too.

B

Thanks for visiting, GROG and ZeroTiki.

Yes, lesson learned. Don't crack the lid until it's cooled down more. However, I do have another theory on what may have happened. I glazed the inside of a number of the mugs with Aamaco LG-11 Opaque White. While not certain if all the mugs with this glaze broke, I do know that the mugs that were NOT glazed with it survived.

Has anyone used this glaze? If so, I'd like to hear what the outcome was, be it good or bad.

Thanks,

Bowie

Horrors, so much work. I found out the hard way too. I cool the kiln to room temperature with the lid closed. Even this past week there was a problem because the kiln was at 70 but the outside was at 60. Taking the bowl outside to go into the house all of a sudden a piece of glaze popped off. Very sorry to see this, Wendy

Such a Bummer,Bowie!
i bet you cried til you was Sea-HOARSE!
But adversity adds strength and knowledge,old chum!
The next batch will be even better!
:)

C

Oh noo! so sorry about the seahorse pogo :(

B

Wendy- Yeah, a kiln load of broken sure stinks! I think I may have found the problem. It's not the firing, it's that two glazes do not like each other. I tried using clear on the inside of the sea horses instead of white and got 3 for 3. Now if I try that on 10 mugs I'll know for sure if that was the problem.

Kenny- You bet I was cryin' 'til I was hoarse! A guy can only take so much! Can't wait to get a big hug from you at Oasis, ol' chum!

Clarita- Thanks! Hopefully I've solved the problem!

Here's what managed to survive the sea horse holocaust. I'm still a few short of the edition, but I'll get them as time passes.

I'm also making some custom sea horses. This one I call The HELL HORSE. Solid red, black horns, white eyes. How much more scary can it get??

I also went nuts glazing some blanks of my Minimalist Moais. These are a new variant with no two the same. Callin' them Geo-Moais.

And just when you thought it was safe, Bowana's Tiki Freak Show blows back into town. New conjoined Moai pendants!

I'll have all of this and more available at the indoor vending at Tiki Oasis. Hope to see you there!

Thanks for visiting!

Bowie

Moai Madness
Awesome

Jon

That's a bummer Bowana about the horsies...
I've used the Amaco glaze but have thinned it down, seems to set up faster and thicker than many of my other glazes I use.
Cya soon at TO, can't wait to see all your killer tiki goodness there!! :wink: aloha

T

Dave, all looks great. I'm sure the conjoined Moai pendants will be supremely popular at TO (I want one, too). The new minimalist Moais are perfect. Look forward to seeing the seahorses in person.

All the best!

S

HELL HORSE is awesome David, and so are the moais. Nice work as usual.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 856 replies