Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tiki Gardens, Indian Rocks Beach/Indian Shores, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

P

the sad thing is, I tried to find the contact person out there in Pinellas county, so that I could talk to them about doing a tiki there and just got the run-around...

hell, I didn't even care about making money on the deal...just wanted to do my part to keep the culture & history alive.

kind of a bummer...

if anyone knows how to get this done or knows who to contact, let me know. I make a living making and selling tikis right here in the Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater area, and I'd be happy to offer my services in order to honor & preserve local tiki history.

T

I spotted this photo on retro-space's Flickr site with Miss Tiki Gardens in it. I wonder if she was representing this one or some other tiki garden?

from http://www.flickr.com/photos/33158682@N06/8755948462/

Interesting in this random restaurant advertising are three wonderful tiki landmarks of St. Pete past. Tiki Gardens, the Kono Kai (with "Taiwan dinner for two"!) and the incredible Sand Dollar, which was loaded with Witco.

It always felt to us that Tiki Gardens was among the major tiki sites in the country, if not the world. A restaurant, multiple bars, huge gift shop, multiple buildings, parkground and elaborate gardens, entertainment and shows ... it simply had everything. Including giant tikis.

But it doesn't seem to come up in conversation as often as Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vics and other first and second wave tiki landmarks. Wondering why that is, we think it may be because Tiki Gardens closed and was demolished so long ago. It seems it just missed the tiki revival by a handful of years. Even the Kahiki got to see the boom years of the Cocktail Nation.

Also interesting is that, although Tiki Gardens closed long before the age of digital photography, there seem to be a multitude of photographs out there of the place. Try finding an interior shot of the Wreck Bar at the Castaways---aside from one of the two known postcard images, that is. Even the Kahiki, which lasted a little more than a decade longer than TG, seems to be poorly documented online. You can find almost no photographs of the Kahiki interior online aside from the few "official" press photos and scans of brochures and postcards. There are plenty of pictures of Kahiki mugs, but views of the actual building and interior over the years? Not so many. I guess my point here, with the "Lost legends" thread still lingering in my mind, is that we have a great ability now with our equipment and technology and should not take it for granted.

The Tiki Gardens fire sale / auction was on the morning of June 9, 1990, more than ten years before Tiki Central came into being. Before there even was a single WorldWideWeb terminal in a computer lab in Switzerland. Clearly the dark ages. But even so, there must be some people on here who were "into" tiki at the time. And there must be some Floridians on here who were around at the time. We wonder what happened to all the stuff ... the four winds, yes, but some of that should be blowing its way into here. This thread has been active for six years, and it somehow seems surprising to me now that nobody ever came in here to post that "my neighbor ended up with a table and set of chairs from Trader Frank's" or "you can see Lono now up in Clearwater in this guy's backyard" or "I was at the auction and wish I would've spent the extra to snag X," or whatever. What happened to all the big stuff, the huge tikis, who bought them? Probably a restaurant or some business would have bought them, but whoever did ... you would think that it would be known, the info would be out there. In this case, it seems like nobody seems to know what happened to any of it.

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2013-08-22 20:29 ]

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2013-08-22 20:30 ]

P

Well, things are starting to look good,,,

I have finally made contact with a person in the local parks department who liked my idea of doing a few tikis at the old tiki gardens site, which is now a Beach Access,,,,

And I just got an e-mail from him saying my offer has been well received with the "HIGHER UPS",,, and they are putting an agreement together.

So bottom line: Looks like I'm the guy who's gonna bring tikis back to tiki gardens.

I saw there was a thread here before where a bunch of people were trying to get it done, and there were arguments over money, etc, and it never happened. Well, I intend to make it happen.

This thread is helpful, as I'm thinking I'd like to recreate one or 2 of the old pieces, as wall as something a little more complex, like a lono or something...

Obviously I'm open for input...

That's great news, keep up the good work, one Tiki at a time. It's one Tiki more than generic blandness! :)

Keep us posted!

On 2013-10-22 11:34, pjc5150 wrote:

Obviously I'm open for input...

Okay, here's mine. Stick to your vision because from my perspective, you know what you're doing and you do it well. Congrats!

K

Everytime I revisit this thread, I feel like I missed out on something very special. Kind of how I feel about the upcoming loss of the International Marketplace in Waikiki. Well, I've been enjoying the Int'l Markeplace for decades, but I never had a chance to see Tiki Gardens...:( But I can dream.

P

well, ok.

the city parks people sent me a sample agreement that they typically have artists for public works projects, and so far there doesn't seem to be anything in there that is a deal-breaker for me.

so everything is looking good. :)

H

Looking forward to seeing your creations with this exciting project. Keep us posted.

Never seen a shot glass before

I have seen (and collected) most (all?) of the postcards from Tiki Gardens over years, but recently came across some different and more artistic views.

A few of the Tikis.

Tiki with torch.

Tiki with leaf hair.

The Parakeet Bell Tower which appears to have been an aviary.

View of Trader Frank's restaurant from the river side.

Entrance to the Oriental Shop.

Tiki heaven on earth.

DC

Just finished reading this thread, what a trip down memory lane! Back in the 60s, my grandparents would take me with them on vacation from Ohio to Florida every year and we went to Tiki Gardens numerous times over the years. Years later as a young adult I lived in Sarasota and Bradenton for a while. I had no idea how close I was.

I just scanned a few pics a couple of days ago, not the greatest quality, but I was there, and that's probably a good part of why I'm here.

Kalakala thanks for sharing those! Awesome!!

T

Cool pics!

Glad to see someone picking up the tiki torch on this idea. We got started on the notion of putting up a Lono statue in the old parking lot and Wayne Coombs was ready to sculpt it, when some guy started throwing around threats of lawsuits and acquiring the rights to the Tiki Gardens name, logos, etc. We had raised some money for the project and decided to give it up, but the cash was all returned properly as far as I know. Best of luck wit the project. I still think it was a great idea.

Well, as of 2011 the last trademark on the name Tiki Gardens was cancelled. If someone with the funds wants to protect the mark by grabbing it now, that wouldn't be a bad move. You'd need to use the trademark in commerce somehow though, or you'll lose it. Even "Remember Tiki Gardens" t-shirts would qualify.

I just realized that the post above was my first actual post here, although I've been stopping by for years! I think I had another username and might have made a couple of posts several years ago, but I can't really remember.

[ Edited by: Kalakala 2014-04-25 11:12 ]

Kalakala, thanks for sharing those pics! We recently brought Kahona back, pics here.

Tiki Gardens today:

Perhaps the last TG brochure?

On 2014-02-19 12:58, SandraDee wrote:
Never seen a shot glass before

I just picked one up off the 'bay this week, just like that one, for 9 bucks.

Rob

Found this postcard today

Nice! I've never seen that one before!

Rob

Hmmmm what's this? Interesting info...

Well folks, after many a year away from the Tiki Gardens Memorial Website, a trip
to Tiki Oasis and seeing all the old faces and catching the spirit of rum and good times, I think it's time I get the website back to some semblance of it's former, netscape html editor, glory.

Suggestions for a good webpage editor and FTP program are welcome.

As to TG trademark rights, I'll look into it.

One of the ( among many ) good moments was being able to thank Otto in person for his help in the initial push for a tiki at the original site.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tikigardens/page1.html

Off to work for now, but I'll start going through my old files and trying to get what was a semi organic site that flowed into new pages as info was discovered...

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2014-08-22 08:17 ]

On 2014-08-22 08:15, TikiGardener wrote:

Hmmmm what's this? Interesting info...

Well folks, after many a year away from the Tiki Gardens Memorial Website, a trip
to Tiki Oasis and seeing all the old faces and catching the spirit of rum and good times, I think it's time I get the website back to some semblance of it's former, netscape html editor, glory.

Suggestions for a good webpage editor and FTP program are welcome.

As to TG trademark rights, I'll look into it.

One of the ( among many ) good moments was being able to thank Otto in person for his help in the initial push for a tiki at the original site.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tikigardens/page1.html

Off to work for now, but I'll start going through my old files and trying to get what was a semi organic site that flowed into new pages as info was discovered...

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2014-08-22 08:17 ]

Awesome news, TG....I go over there all the time, hoping for some new updates on the old website, but was beginning to think it would never happen...now, I'm stoked to hear that you might be breathing some new life into it again....sweet! :D

Rob

"Bloody Mary is the girl I love...now, ain't that too damn bad?"

[ Edited by: Ghostsoldier 2014-08-22 15:27 ]

Great news indeed. Nothing like a little Tiki Oasis revival! Having an image from Tiki Gardens as the logo for Tiki Pop doesn't hurt the enthusiasm either!

Let me know if you want scans of postcards, brochures, photos etc. from my collection for the updated webpage.

DC

Here are a few more postcards with the lighting of the torch ceremony that was held at Tiki Gardens.

DC

Here is as seldom seen image of the entrance to the Polynesian Adventure Trail at Tiki Gardens.

DC

:)

Nice pics!

Rob

On 2014-09-06 17:04, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are a few more postcards with the lighting of the torch ceremony that was held at Tiki Gardens.

DC

Mary who was effectively the byars Right hand is in the torch ceremony, right side in the red dress as I have been told.

On 2014-04-24 12:28, Kalakala wrote:
Just finished reading this thread, what a trip down memory lane! Back in the 60s, my grandparents would take me with them on vacation from Ohio to Florida every year and we went to Tiki Gardens numerous times over the years. Years later as a young adult I lived in Sarasota and Bradenton for a while. I had no idea how close I was.

I just scanned a few pics a couple of days ago, not the greatest quality, but I was there, and that's probably a good part of why I'm here.

Possibly the best shot of that interior.

P

Well, ok.. I have had some discussions with local government people about bringing tiki back to tiki gardens, or rather, the tiki gardens beach access where the tiki gardens site once stood. Unfortunately, I'm a little impatient. I can only talk to those types for 5 or 10 minutes before I'm ready to run a spear through them. Lol. I am an artist, not a diplomat.

so I have enlisted the help of my friend Carol, who is the owner and operator of "Roadside Attraction" in Largo, and also a major tiki-phile... it looks like we are probably going to have a little event / fundraiser at her store here in a couple of months. I'm handing the contract that the government people sent me, and their contact information over to her. So that she could deal with that part of it & I can concentrate on the art part.

anyway, I'm pretty sure we're going to be able to make this happen, and I am excited about the possibility of putting some big tikis in the ground at this very sacred location...

and I am planning on re-creating some of the stuff that was actually there, as Well as some of my stuff...

event should be a lot of fun, and I will do my best to honor a place that is very important to so many of you.

stay tuned....

Wow, you are a true Tiki activist, making Tikis rise up again where they once stood. Good idea to get a middle-person for the permit stuff, who wants to deal with that!

P

Thank you Sven, for all your kind words and support in regards to all of my crazy antics down here in the sunshine state.

I hope that you are coming to the Hukilau this year, it would be nice to meet in person, have a few drinks, and tell you about my hair-brained "Tiki Village" dream... 8)

I am hoping to, but I never can say in advance, since the summer season is when I get my most TV movie jobs in Europe - can't turn down a 6 week shooting job for a weekend of fun. It pays for MY Tiki antics :)

On 2015-01-17 08:40, pjc5150 wrote:
Well, ok.. I have had some discussions with local government people about bringing tiki back to tiki gardens, or rather, the tiki gardens beach access where the tiki gardens site once stood. Unfortunately, I'm a little impatient. I can only talk to those types for 5 or 10 minutes before I'm ready to run a spear through them. Lol. I am an artist, not a diplomat.

so I have enlisted the help of my friend Carol, who is the owner and operator of "Roadside Attraction" in Largo, and also a major tiki-phile... it looks like we are probably going to have a little event / fundraiser at her store here in a couple of months. I'm handing the contract that the government people sent me, and their contact information over to her. So that she could deal with that part of it & I can concentrate on the art part.

anyway, I'm pretty sure we're going to be able to make this happen, and I am excited about the possibility of putting some big tikis in the ground at this very sacred location...

and I am planning on re-creating some of the stuff that was actually there, as Well as some of my stuff...

event should be a lot of fun, and I will do my best to honor a place that is very important to so many of you.

stay tuned....

This is awesome news! :)

Rob

J
JonPez posted on Mon, Jun 1, 2015 8:43 AM

Found a cool little tidbit. The 1985 movie "Summer Rental" with John Candy was filmed in Pinellas County, Florida. Although they didn't film anything at Tiki Gardens, they used Trader Frank and Jo's house as a location for a few scenes (mostly seawall and beach stuff, not interior or exterior of the house - would have loved to see that).
The prop people even put a Tiki Gardens brochure on the dash of the car when the family arrived in town.

On 2015-06-01 08:43, JonPez wrote:
Found a cool little tidbit. The 1985 movie "Summer Rental" with John Candy was filmed in Pinellas County, Florida. Although they didn't film anything at Tiki Gardens, they used Trader Frank and Jo's house as a location for a few scenes (mostly seawall and beach stuff, not interior or exterior of the house - would have loved to see that).
The prop people even put a Tiki Gardens brochure on the dash of the car when the family arrived in town.

What a great catch! Amazing eye on that one. I've been to Tiki Gardens once in my life in the early 1970's. I didn't move to Clearwater until 1990. Even though the Gardens is gone, we had a fun day out there when one of the tropical storms came through. We grabbed our surfboards, and called it the Tiki Gardens Classic. There were only 3 of us, but we figured it was a fun little tribute in our own way. The surfing was actually pretty good too, by Gulf Coast standards anyway.

[ Edited by: dewey-surf 2015-06-03 17:07 ]

[ Edited by: dewey-surf 2015-06-03 17:08 ]

Alright folks, some shameless self promotion for the symposium at The Hukilau that Jon Bortles and I are doing on the legendary Tiki Gardens.
Don't miss this! Trust me, it's not going to be me and Jon pointing at our postcard collections. The information that's been collected just in the last week has expanded on what has already been an exponential explosion of knowledge about this lost piece of paradise.
And we're working on the rules of an Aku Aku drinking game.
So yeah, it's early in the am, but, trust me, you want to be there.

http://thehukilau.com/symposiums/

I'd love to go and hear what you guys have to say about TG, but alas, I've got to work (the bane of my existence). :(

Rob

[ Edited by: Ghostsoldier 2015-06-10 08:58 ]

F

On 2007-03-25 19:22, TikiGardener wrote:
Heh!

Heres my rework of a pin I have from Tiki Gardens...

I use it now for my myspace "thanks for the add" image.

I found an old Trader Franks postcard and had me digging around this thread. Is it just me or does this guy look like it should have been drawn by Matt Groening and featured in a Simpsons episode?

I found this photo online of Gordon Keith working on Oro, the two-faced wind god.

Wonder if the little ladder helper is his son?

Another shot of the finished Oro.

Here is a nice photo with the Kon Tiki god inside the Sun Temple that was shown in the earlier Polaroids.

DC

Just got an email notification from the publisher that the "Tiki Gardens Coloring Book" is now out. Where else can you get tiki coolness for only $5.95?

================

Tiki Gardens Coloring Books are great for keeping your mind sharp while sipping on a Mai Tai or other tiki drink.

Brought to you by the publishers of Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log, the editors know a thing or two about tikis, cocktails and keeping yourself occupied while you slip into a rum-induced coma. The drawings are not so simple as to insult your intelligence, yet not so complex that your fuzzy eyes cannot see the lines. Great for the casual coloring enthusiast or tikiphile.

Click cover image to order from SLG Publishing http://www.slgcomic.com/Tiki-Gardens-Adult-Coloring-Book_p_2160.html[url]

Well, this is a thing:

https://youtu.be/e1__JiB5a6s

[ Edited by: Kalakala 2017-10-17 12:26 ]

Thanks, that's beautiful! Will listen to it beneath our Kahona!

S

On 2014-09-06 17:04, Dustycajun wrote:

DC

Some great night footage, contained within an Eastern Airlines travelogue, at about the 25:27 mark:
http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view_permalink/?fileid=EAF0043.mp4

Holy awesome! Great find!

BB

Oh that is cool. Love the camera work. I wonder what the script for that opening sequence looked like?

Drums reach a climax
Chanting men suddenly scream
Zoom on the tiki

Living in Kentucky you rarely find anything tiki in the wild except for the occasional Coco Joes or Frank Schirman piece. Needlessly to say, I was floored when I was able to land this Witco barstool tiki on FB this week. Adding to the wow factor, the seller said he purchased this 30 years ago when the Tiki Gardens was closing. I've looked through all the posting and couldn't spot this guy but I have no reason to doubt the seller's story. I did see the Witco fountain in one of the photos under the Tiki Gardens restaurant sign so it does appear there was at least 1 Witco tiki there.

[ Edited by: Tumatauenga 2018-09-08 05:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies