Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

HulaHula TwoTwo - Sat 1/27 6:30pm

Pages: 1 28 replies

Hey, let's try it again. Seeing as how we haven't yet tried every drink on the menu, let's get together at HulaHula next Saturday 1/27 at 6:30pm. I promise I won't skip this time, come hell or slightly icey conditions!

E

Ummm about that "come Hell" remark...

...with global warming by the 27th we could have an extreme weather swing and it will be 90 degrees and then you'll have to wear these to Hula Hula:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxbk5LHiOXA

(However, I'm not sure pink is your color. I'd choose red for you if you really must know)

p.s. I can't read that tiny little block message--hope it didn't say anything i needed to read!

E

What's really weird is that I just went to iTunes to see who did that particular version of the song "Nasty Girl" and it's done by someone named Inaya Day.

But that's not the strange part...there's several versions of it by that artist (who knew?) and one of them is "Nasty Girl (Riffs and Rays Radio Edit)". That Tiki Art Now party at Marlow's was a bit fuzzy...but I don't remember doing that! There's also a "Nasty Girl (Peter's Reconstruction Edit)". Apparently he didn't like what we did and thought he could do it better! If I find a "Nasty Girl (Dogbytes I'm a Naughty Dog-Girl Radio Edit)" I'm really gonna think something's up!

Hey guys, I think we might try and make this! We were planning to invade Seattle on Sunday but if we close early and hit the road, we might be able to make it down in time for a drink or five. We're also staying at the luxurious Sixth Ave. Inn nearby.

[ Edited by: Pepe le Tiki 2007-01-18 19:22 ]

Mr Bytes and i will be there!

Monkeyskull's in charge!

bump

Yes! I have Glass Bananas!

Hurry! Quantities limited! Glass Bananas available to the first 17 HulaHula TwoTwo participants. One Glass Banana per household. Glass Banana is not a toy. Keep this and all glass fruits and vegetables away from children. Glass Bananas are not edible. Do not feed to glass monkeys or any other glass animals. This offer is merely a gesture of slight absurdity. Satisfaction is not guaranteed or implied. If you have any complaints, feel free to kiss my Glass Banana.

S

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I can't wait for Saturday night and glass bananas!

Damn, now we're going to have to risk getting a speeding ticket. (not that it would be the first time)

Actually, the glass bananas aren't all that bad once you get used to them.

By the way, if you look closely in this photo from their web site, you can see some of the large and quite odd mugs that they use at the rectangular bar.

E

I'm going to order the drink on the left and stir its brain, er contents, with a glass banana turned swizzle stick.

It's a beautiful and sunny day in Seattle...I expect to see everyone there tonight!

p.s. Woofie please set aside a banana for me in case i run into ferry problems

Pictures Soon?

E

You'll have to wait. :)

Here's one for now that pretty much sums up the night:

E

Ok, one more...but that's it for now!

I was mesmerized by the floats, especially the red one:

T

Wow that red float, I can really see why it caught your attention! And a glass banana shot, Woo Hoo! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Tikisgrl

HulaHulagans help Ms. TikiRiviera decide which drink to name their daughter after.

Canadians bemused by how easily Poi Polloi is manipulated by Mr. and Mrs. Dogbytes' chants of "Chug! Chug! Chug!"

My flash failed on this shot of Woofmutt.

"Still Life with Glass Banana"

D

i'm loving the space at Hula Hula more and more ~ its just so nice to have a tiki lounge to lounge in! the portions of food are generous and well-prepared, the drinks, from what im hearing are hit n miss ~ though the owner (his name is Keith, Kevin..some K name..) tried to get a mai tai to Sweetpea's liking, i think its a recipe issue, as Hula Hula's has OJ in theirs.. todd, pepe and others thoroughly enjoyed the drink served in a bowl. gotta give Hula Hula their props for having a great waitstaff and for serving drinks in mugs, even my diet soda!

we were astounded, when we left, that we had spent 5 hours in the bar! it didnt feel like time had passed at all! i didnt get around to all of the bar, mostly we were so comfortable in the area we commandeered, i just stayed there...

and now some incriminating pictures.

Imagine, a Tiki bar.. fulla TIKI!

Pepe le Tiki and Sweetpea ~ and yes that is a Witco Fish in the background

Puamana shows off her belated Christmas gifts

Interior shot of Hula Hula ~ those are Keigs Tikis on the far left wall. i tried to boost Mrs Riviera up to snag those for me...we were unsuccessful this time.. next week we'll bring in a ladder.

different angle, i didnt move much..

Plantain chips and guacamole.. onolicious

dogbytes

Ms Pea

Puamana and Mrs Riviera

Poi Polloi

Pepe and Alan with their Party Pump(and if you gotta ask, im not gonna tell you what its used for...)

Puamana, Sweetpea & Mrs Riviera

Paul averts his eyes as Sparky becons suductively to Woofmutt for his glass banana, while Allison watches amusedly

Woofmutt stumbles forward ~ Allison is wary of being crushed. Meanwhile in the background, Pepe and Alan, the Wondertwins, use their xray vision to peer inside the Glass Banana for tracking devices.

Monkeyskull sings" Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a glass banana man: no time to talk.
Music loud and monkeys warm, I've been kicked around since I was born.
And now it's all right. It's OK. And you may look the other way.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive."

"The Glass Bananas were larger and more beautiful than any of us had imagined", Exoticat coos as she fondles her fancy fruit.

Mrs Riviera, Poi Polloi and Monkeyskull lift their bananas and coconuts in toast to the Hula Hulagans.

Miss SweetPea calls home on her BananaPhone

Great post DB. The bananas look so Goldfinger-like. Thanks for the great pix. :)

E

Hula Hula, the place

This is how you know you've found the right place:

Or these..what temptations lie inside? Let's go see!

Once inside it will be very, very dark. When you spot Woofmutt giving you the signal with his new blinding bling you'll know where your peeps are located:

They told me that the bling was real gold and diamonds and I know they wouldn't lie to me. Thanks to my special effects lighting team of Paul and Sparky on this one.

But let's look around first. Everyone loves a giant pufferfish lamp or four above the bar:

(If there's ever a big earthquake just hope you aren't seated below one of those big daddies at the time.)

Another float shot, different perspective:

E

The People you encounter

L@@K it's the event coordinator offering me stuff hidden in his jacket. Can't tell you what I scored on.

Did anyone else notice that red blotch on his collar? Did he get bit by a Vampire or is that evidence of an earlier serial killing? Hmmm now I see why he said that this photo could be sold on the internet for profit...it holds a clue to some mystery.

I think he's doing some more fast talking with Pepe, but Canadians aren't that gullible:

Looks like it all worked out--all happy faces:

Monkeyskull moves onto someone new while Puamana and Woofmutt have some conversation about his nose:

MORE smiling faces! Northwesterners are always so cheery despite all that rain. Must be becasuse the sun was out that day:

"Talk to the hand?" or is Sparky about to burst out with "STOP! in the name of love!" Paul and Allison are perplexed as well.

Proof that when Dogbytes talks, people listen:

Our waitress:

Woofmutt is saddened by the realization that this evening must end:

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2007-01-29 02:47 ]

E

The Backroom

Now it's time to take our cocktails to the back room where the mood is more romantic since we've been here awhile.

The black light mural Tiki with flash:

The mural is huge...here's some more of it (and a little nudity...whee!):

The flowers in front of the mural with no flash (mural itself will not show up without flash...too dark in there):

This is the same image of the flowers to the rightt of the Wahine (up above) but without flash:

Four green tikis with an emphasis on the "K":

OMG! What is that I see happening in the dark?

The End.

Please email me if you see a photo of you that you don't like and it will silently dsappear.

OH, I see how it is! I travel out of town for "work" and everyone gets
together at Hula Hula to celebrate... Well for your information, I was in Salt
Lake drinking 2.5% alcohol beer with many women who possessed a, say slightly
androgynous quality. So see, I can have loads o' fun without you guys!

p.s. Is it just me or does that "evidence" on Monkeyskull's jacket look
eerily similar to the shade of Pea's lipstick????

one more thing: Does anyone know why I came home and found a yellow glass banana
sleeping in my bed and using my pillow??

S

Those are indeed my puffer fish in there...

W

This all went surprisingly well considerin' the stabbin' incident from our rarely mentioned get together back in December.

I would like to apologize to all fer my sober state (a large late lunch) which led to limited minglin' on my part and me not takin' part in the limbo contest.

And an apology to the Canadians fer my part in the longwinded discussion about politics and religion. Next time I promise to try to steer the converstaion towards scones, hockey, Rush, and similar subjects of interest to our Northern Cousins.

Hula Hula is super swell, an amazin' amount of thought and attention to detail went into the construction. Even more unusual is that the owner Keith is very keen on appealin' to the Tiki set. What the hardcore Tiki fans might think was on his mind when puttin' the decor together and in the continued tweakin' of drink recipes.

Puamana and Mrs Riviera

Now wait a second......Is that someone messing with Atomic Al in the background?? It looks like he's giving the old "up yours" salute to me!! Good thing there weren't more Canadians down there! Either that or he's getting the other Border Jumper's drink order.
You Americans and your Tiki Lounges! We used to have our own up here but they all shut down. We gotta get going on one!!
Too bad we couldnt get down there for this little event. Looks like fun. Great seeing photos of the familiar faces! Aloha, TabooDan

Great pics everyone! Fortunately, people use their cameras when they bring them unlike myself. We had a blast and Hula Hula was every bit a what I hoped it would be. Great decor, especially the lounge area and the drinks I had were to my liking (Zombie and a couple Kiki Tiki's (SP?) served in a small bowl). Looking forward to another visit next time we're in town!
Woofmutt and Sweetpea graciously showered us with precious glass bananas and edible leis, true Jetcity hospitality! I must say Woofmutt, I was a little disappointed that we didn't talk about Celine Dion's retirement plans but that's OK, it was probably too sensitive a subject for Canadians and Americans to discuss. (It's much safer to stick with topics like politics and religion).
The fun continued with more gatherings, a Dim Sum lunch and Selector Lopaka spinning at Fu Kun Wu's on Sunday plus the usual pilgrimage to Trader Vic's Bellevue on Monday (where the manager said out of the blue, that there are plans for possible new locations in Canada including Vancouver...even if it's just a rumor, I'll take it!).

We love Jetcity!

S

Well, now, I have no idea where the other thread about Hula Hula is, and I'm far too lazy to go find it.
Sooooooooo, I'm neither a good reviewer, nor the drink conossouir that some of these hula hulagins are, however, I was grateful that Keith (the owner) went to the bar and remade me a drink. Their mai tai recipe isn't exactally what I consider a mai tai, but sounded good anyhow, so I had one, but watched the bartender make it, substituting 2 of the ingredients... 1. regular rum instead of dark, and 2. sweet and sour instead of lime juice. it was like a wet orange sweet-tart candy.
The next one was definately better, but would have prefered the dark rum floating on top rather than all mixed in, and the pina colada was good but I'm more of a colada person than a pina person.

All in all, it was good though, and the place was neat, and the fact that the owner actually cared about what we thought was really great. I definately will reccommend it to folks, and I will definately go back!!! Just tell me when!!!

And Special thanks go to Woofmutt for my glass banana phone, and to Miss Kendra for being my designated driver!!! Wheeeeeeeee

Pages: 1 28 replies