Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

Finally worked up the courage to start a thread of my carvings!

For my first showing, I chose a tiki I worked on at the January SD Chop Chop. It is Mexican Fan palm, and stands at 5 feet tall. This tiki has two new techniques for me. First, it has my first use of an actual carving chisel. The uppermost portion was done using a curved chisel- ")", borrowed from Clysdalle. Thanks, man! The second new technique is I burned it using Mapp gas, recommended by...Clysdalle! Using Mapp gas vs propane is like a jet engine vs a candle.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2016-04-26 21:11 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2019-12-06 10:15 ]

Excellent! First time using a real chisel, huh. Yeah right.

H

This piece looks even better in person. This is a very nice, detail oriented piece carved to perfection.You did a great job with this one. Bill, all of your tikis look great.

B

What?! Just one picture is all we get?

Ditto that. I realy like your carving style, Bill. Very impressive!

Now this is what I'm talkin about.....great work...and it does look even better in person! Once you try good tools it's a slippery slope.....I am a chisel slut..... :wink:

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 9:33 PM

Well it's about time you started a thread! That tiki turned out awesome. Hey wait, where's the back view picture showing off his cute butt? :) I like how you can see your giant truck sneaking into the picture.

Zaya

B

very very good.
Show us more !!!

Benjamin.

M

Yay Bill! Glad you're showing off your stuff. I really do like how he came out. Now show some more. :)

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2007 5:34 PM

Thats a great looking tiki man, I like the style.

More!

B

Wow Bill,

Very cool! I really like that one in the back ground too...that guy is huge! When you have time, could you show more of that one as well?

The map gas use is very interesting. Excellent work!

B

So, You've been holding out on us,, Sand-bagging us. Now you owe us More pictures. Nice stuff!

J

On 2007-01-25 18:44, 4WDtiki wrote:

With this quality please work up some more courage and post more and continue this thread's growth.

JP

More pics. :)

I sold this one yesterday! We were having a yard sale and someone saw my tikis and had to have this one. :D It's 6' 2".

Here's three from last fall.The tallest is about 5' 8".

And just for Zaya, the butts. :wink:

On 2007-01-25 18:44, 4WDtiki wrote:

For my first showing, I chose a tiki I worked on at the January SD Chop Chop. It is Mexican Fan palm, and stands at 5 feet tall. This tiki has two new techniques for me. First, it has my first use of an actual carving chisel. The uppermost portion was done using a curved chisel- ")", borrowed from Clysdalle. Thanks, man! The second new technique is I burned it using Mapp gas, recommended by...Clysdalle! Using Mapp gas vs propane, is like a jet engine vs a candle.

4WD, cool stuff, don't tell me you belong to 80scool.

these are quite remarkable 4WD...don't know how i missed this thread till now. Lots of personality
coming out of these guys, especially the one you sold at the yard sale. He's really got the
attitude. And the big one in the background on your first pic...is that the one that was
being loaded (or unloaded) on a truck in the "Chop Chop" thread?

On 2007-01-28 11:36, Tiki Diablo wrote:

I dunno, what is it? :shrug:

On 2007-01-28 11:39, congatiki wrote:
And the big one in the background on your first pic...is that the one that was
being loaded (or unloaded) on a truck in the "Chop Chop" thread?

Thanks for props, Conga. Good eye, yes, that is the one fron the chopchop thread. I chiseled away the top couple inches of bark to put some sort of "hair" on it, but I'm not sure what I'm going to use. Pics to follow if I figure it out. :wink:

On 2007-01-28 14:29, 4WDtiki wrote:

On 2007-01-28 11:36, Tiki Diablo wrote:

I dunno, what is it? :shrug:

Ah, I just googled 80scool. THAT'S A FORD, DAMMIT!!! NOT a Toyota! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Do you have a 'cruiser? Do you wheel?

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Jan 29, 2007 12:54 AM

On 2007-01-28 09:09, 4WDtiki wrote:
And just for Zaya, the butts. :wink:

I love it!! Wow, they must be doing their pilates! :) Thanks 4WDtiki!

Zaya

More tikis. :D
Here's the only one I keep in the house. It's about 2' tall, and is coated with spar urethane. A basic face that came out well, IMO.

This is one of my favorites, it's about 5', and lives on the patio.

Profile.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-29 15:43 ]

Here's the current project. It will reside in my wife's cousin's backyard. Looks small in these pics, but it's actually 8 feet 5 inches! The headress going down the back will remain bark.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-29 15:44 ]

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jan 29, 2007 4:01 PM

haha, for some reason that tall guy looks like he's the size of a pencil. :) He's looking really good, I love the detail on the headdress.

B

The gigantic dude is looking cool, 4WD! When you post more pictures, put yourself (or your 80scool :)) in the shot to show just how big that behemoth really is! I hope to carve one that size one day.

Thanks to all for the compliments. :)

Here's an update on "the big one". I finished staining it today. I will be putting some satin spar varnish on in the next few days. Sorry Dave, I forgot to put myself in the pic for scale. :wink:

I can't wait to stand it up, but that may not happen til my 'assistants' show up at the next Chop! :P

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 5:31 AM

4wheel.....Awesome man!

Wished I was going to be there for the razing. The map gas use looks good on this guy...like the way the back side was addressed. Props.

Babalu

B

Awesome stuff 4WD, and about time you posted it! Most Excellent tikis, very well done, carving sanding and finishing!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 6:53 PM

Very nice style man :)

Wow, thanks guys! :blush:
I'm so thrilled with the way this one is turning out. It's gonna be real imposing when finally standing.
Hope to have the next progress shot on Wednesday, stay tuned...

hi there, 4WD-that is one psyched wife's cousin. very nicely done.

Thanks Pat!
He hasn't even seen it since I had only the face carved!

There's nothing like standing up a large scale tiki. Just be prepared to refine some of the spots that need a little tweaking . Laying down and stood up are two totally different views.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 1:54 AM

On 2007-02-04 18:43, 4WDtiki wrote:
Thanks to all for the compliments. :)

Here's an update on "the big one". I finished staining it today. I will be putting some satin spar varnish on in the next few days. Sorry Dave, I forgot to put myself in the pic for scale. :wink:

I can't wait to stand it up, but that may not happen til my 'assistants' show up at the next Chop! :P

That is one nice carving. It'll be cool seeing the different perspective when it's looming over you.

Looking good!!! :tiki:

B

Ah, C'mon, You can stand it up?? we want pictures now not later. He is one Cool Big dude!

Ben, I estimate it to weigh ~400 lbs. Could you come give me a hand standing it up? :P

Here's today's progress. I'm coating it with McCloskey's Man O'War spar varnish. I love the richness it gives the wood. :)
Partially coated.

Finished coating it.

I'll be in the desert all weekend, so I don't think it will be standing till the following weekend.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 5:28 PM

I like that. Nice use of the bruner too, just nicely accents it

B

Defenitely a Sweet look you got goin on with that tiki, the varnish is Really adding a LOT, nice touch.

I took a carving break this weekend to go out to the desert for our 4x4 group's annual run. Here's me on the way, east of borrego Springs, CA. I was delivering this tiki to a friend at the run. :)

Another friend was bringing one of mine back to me, after borrowing it for a luau party. Here's both tikis enjoying the campfire.
That one on the right does stand straight, but for some reason is leaning for the pic. :roll:

We have a tradition of bringing our Christmas trees out to burn. This is just three trees put on the fire at the same time. That tiki got scorched a bit. :wink:

A great weekend, I am now refreshed and ready to carve again. :D

M

Sweeeeetness. I have an eight foot root head ready to carve....This motivates!!!

I Love the design!

Mahalo !

Mctiki

Sweet weekend Bill. I found my weight belt and have been getting ready for a good old fashioned tiki raising this weekend. Let's get that baby up!
What are you doing next? Do a big one this time...
Buzzy Out!

The real reason I hosted this months chopchop: to get the needed help to stand this guy up!

More pics of the process, and all the other activities, in the chopchop thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22647&forum=17&start=75&77

M

Very very nice Tiki Bill.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

A Most Impressive piece Sir!. Not only is the carving excellent, but you went Above and Beyond with the sanding and application of an Excellent finish. Verrry Welll done. You are setting your bar high and this leads to Higher quality stuff from you,,Can't Wait!

What a BEAST! He's awesome. Love the design and detail, quite an effort. He's gonna outlive us all!

Thank you guys, for the kind words. :)

On 2007-02-18 07:27, Benzart wrote:
A Most Impressive piece Sir!. Not only is the carving excellent, but you went Above and Beyond with the sanding and application of an Excellent finish. Verrry Welll done. You are setting your bar high and this leads to Higher quality stuff from you, Can't Wait!

Ben, your compliments mean alot, thank you!
All the sanding on this piece was done with a 36 grit(!) disc on my angle grinder! I'm not one of you multiple step sanders.:P I think the double coat of varnish really hides the fact well, at least in this pic.
I might have set my bar too high, it'll be a little while before I try another one at this level. I need to at least buy myself some real chisels first!

This is probably a good time to post this tiki.

It's my first tiki! circa 2000.
Buzzy saw it stashed under a tree, in my granddaughter's "fort".
I guess I HAVE progressed. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies