Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

Not almost, it's there.

Great job!
HB's gonna be stoked!!!
i like his heavy nose and the deep recesses around the mouth and eyes!
slow down !

On 2008-09-23 08:24, little lost tiki wrote:
slow down !

I can't! Zipfizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! :P

These two will go on either side of the tiki on the previous page. HBtiki is installing these on his patio, as a fountain. I think he's going to have water coming from all three mouths.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-09-24 19:18 ]

H

Those are perfect, Bill!!

I need to start researching the rock and plants I want to use for this. AWESOME!!

Oh, and only the big guy will be spitting water.

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2008-09-24 19:44 ]

S

Nice! Patience and wise looking fellas.

K

Dude Your work was the first to stand out to me and inspire my designs and is getting better everytime Thanks for sharing"nice website too. Cheers Brendon

Colin, hopefully, you'll post a pic of the finished fountain.

Seeks, thanks man!

Kroozin, I'm flattered that my work inspired you! Thanks!

So here's the latest batch'o'shorties.

The local outrigger club had me carve small tikis as year end thanks to their four coaches. They're all right about 2 feet tall, and I attached the engraved personalized plaques to each.

Now that I look at the pics, they look like a prisoner booking photo! :lol:

And on to the next order:

B

The prisoners club is awesome, great work.

Benjamin.

awesome stuff bill, now you just need to stain some horizontal black and white lines on the tikis and chain em all together

The prisoners are great. UDAMAN Bill!!!

B

Yes, Those are SOME Mug Shots, Guilty by the look on their faces I say, Make'um Walk the plank ARrrrr.

H

Well the fountain isn't even started yet, but I thought I'd post a pic of the three together and (about) how they'll be standing when finished.

They'll be in the dirt back where the other tiki is.

On 2008-10-05 08:23, 4WDtiki wrote:
And on to the next order:

Finished! It'll be going to a TC member. :D

Glad you guys liked the prisoner lineup! I had fun carving them, and I'm going to do more.
:P

B

I Really Love the bold detail in your Moai, cool.

B

Bill your just one amazing cat! I can't wait to come over and play at the Chop on the 18th...I know this is the final one at this present house of yours...I hope we can get a Killer turn out.

You ROCK the house Wheeler!

Your stuff looks great as usual. Great expressions on them all. 8)

Benz and Savage, thanks for the comps! Babs, see you Saturday!

Here's what I started yesterday. Cannibal!

The Cannibal is done! Although I may put another coat of stain on, and do some minor touchup. Here it is:

H

The cannibal looks great!!

flippin rad, man!!!

I really like this guy. Straight forward tight design. Cool.

B

i hope he's full by sat,i dont want him eating my tiki!

:)
Very cool!
Simple-direct-graphic.....
and i love the poor expression on the LUNCH MARQ!
You just bang these out at an alarming rate!
A-1 Sauce!

dude instead of plaques on those ones back there maybe install lights for a pathway how cool would a pathway look lit up with those suckers on the edge as u walk up to an alter or to the bar...hmmm im drifting

Nice spin on the Cannibal!

Classic stylings, yet 4WDtiki style!

And I agree, the expression on the poor Marq is priceless!

Good stuff!

C

oh! loving the cannibal!! very nice!

J

You have a very nice style, crisp and complete. How do you keep those rounded over corners so consistently shaped?

Thank you all for the great comments!

JohnnyP wrote:[/i]
How do you keep those rounded over corners so consistently shaped?

I don't know, a steady hand, I guess? It's funny you ask, because on my next tiki, I want to try to have LESS precise smooth edges! I want it to look more crude. I'll have the beginning pics of that one tomorrow.

Here's the tiki I finished at the chop held at my house last weekend. I always have the hardest time coming up with good 'tattoo' lines, so I asked the master of "letting it flow", Kinny (LLT), to help me out.

I gave him a can of white wood stain and a small brush, and he grabbed the tiki and wandered off to the side for some one-on-one with it.

When he was done, I did my usual staining, and this is how it ended up.

I love it!

He put a face on the back of the head!

Thanks again, Ken!

B

It was really cool seeing all your tiki in person last weekend Bill. The is work is most excellent!

I'll have to point my wife's Xmas eyes towards this thread too :) You have a really nice inventory of goodies right now.

Yes Babalu, I have lots of tikis, and I'm moving next month!!! :o Maybe time for an inventory reduction sale. :wink:

So here's what I started yesterday:

Great looking canibal! Love it looks like it came right out of the jungle.

On 2008-10-21 19:37, 4WDtiki wrote:

He put a face on the back of the head!

hey Bill!
Actually-it's two tikis
A)just a face
B)a face and praying hands on the bottom!
see 'em? :)
the motif on the sides makes an abstract eye!
See?

THAT was really fun just wingin it!
Thanks for supplying the tiki for that!
i think he turned out pretty special!
and thanks for being such a cool fella!

On 2008-10-22 11:38, little lost tiki wrote:
B)a face and praying hands on the bottom!
see 'em? :)

Ahaha! Now I see it! Classic!

On 2008-10-22 11:18, 4WDtiki wrote:
So here's what I started yesterday:

Funny how much carving you can get done when you're unemployed! :roll:
Here it is three hours later.

It may be done, I'm not sure. I'm liking the roughness of it.

It looks so brawny in this pic. It's about 4 feet tall, and almost 20" diameter at the top!

Dam! I need to go and get me unemployed!

And here it is all done.

This piece of palm had some nice variation in the color of the wood. That and the many vertical cracks really give it the aged look that I was going for.

looks killer Bill!

I am really diggin this one. Simple Cool design. I wanna do one like this real soon. You can count on it!!!!

Another Winner out the gates Bill!
I agree about the roughness
It's hard to get a spontaneous look with a carving
but you hit it!
Vert cracks RAWK!

when you visitin the studio?

B

YES, I'm with you in the roughness adds to the "Look". Excellent job, he is Definitely a roughneck with a big head, not a great comvo to meet up with at night in a dark alley! :)

Hey thanks, guys! Glad you 'get' what I was trying for on this one. :wink:

One interesting note about this tiki, the piece of wood was cut down 4 or 5 years ago, and has been just sitting and aging outdoors, the same as the big tiki I carved last month on pg 29. Both pieces had an overall coconut brown color to the wood that I haven't seen in fan palm before. It's usually very white. I'm thinking when the wood finally dries fully all the way through, which these two pieces had, it darkens into a great mottled brown. These pictures don't capture it fully.
I've carved other pieces that had 'only' dried for 2-3 years, and it was still damp and white inside. The color and texture of the wood on the pg 29 tiki is what inspired me to try the ancient look on this one.

I have to move at the end of this month, so I doubt I'll get much carving in for a while. But, I have a line on a new place to live that will have a bigger carving area than I've had here in Oceanside! Stay tuned...

S

Nice, Love the head and the eye size.

B

well done bill,love the old look
hope the new place wooks out

I just went and looked at the possible new place, and I'm probably going to take it. I would be moving in with a couple friends who have a 2.5 acre horse ranch just east of Oceanside, with lots of room for me to carve, and they said I could host chops!!! :D

Well done Bill.

H

Bill, best of luck with moving. Nice big head tiki.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 7:38 PM

YAY!! Horse Ranch! Glad to hear you might be able to host Chops again Bill - best news all day :)

I too like the texture of this new guy...the little vertical cracks rock! But I like the little divots here and there look too...Hummmm -

When I was younger I had this job working as a laborer for a bit, and I'll never forget on one job the contractor gave us each some rope with some nuts and bolts tied to it...we spent all day beating up this brand new wood floor he had just installed in this house. In the beginning of the job, we thought he was nuts, but after that floor was stained, it looked pretty cool. The ole distressed look...might be a fun way to age a tiki a little?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies