Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

I like how you are doing the feet and legs like stands instead of just feet and toes.

On 2009-05-25 18:54, Tiwaka the Parrot wrote:
excellent carving. All mexican fan palms? we have plenty of coco palms.

Yup, all Mex fan palm. I'd love to try some coco palm, wanna trade? :wink:

Jason, thanks for takin' a look.
Lennie, thanks, I like that leg style better, too!

So I finished up these two. The smaller tiki just got some stain, and the larger one got some minor detailing and some stain.

I'm lovin' the way this one came out. I'm get closer to the mental picture in my head of what a tiki should look like.

PS If I still have these two in August, they will be available at Oasis. :wink:

The one on the left looks 200 yrs old.........I like!!

really nice tiki's 4wd... I thought about cutting legs out for the one I did... I like the way yours came out, nice..

I'm REALLY liking that guy too Bill. If he had his bits, he would be a good match for Mrs. VampTiki (plan on completing my pair for Oasis 2010) :wink:

It sure matches my mental picture of what a tiki should look like,
or at least one that sure looks like a tiki. Nice lines, like it a lot.

S

Great work! 4W you are a machine.

Excellent Pair there Bill!
the legs and long face of the one really give it some personality!
you're shuffling up to the next level
Hang on!
:)

Bill, these are great, they look vintage and I like the way you did the legs, very duifferent

Amy

Thanks lennie, beachbumz, conga, seeks, Kinny!
Marlene, it wouldn't be that great of a match, he's a couple feet shorter than your girl!
Queen Amy, you may have one of my older tikis. I saw a tiki in your backyard party pics that I swear I carved years ago!

Sweet backyard set-up! Those guys are classin' up the place!

Started this tall and skinny tiki today, all chainsaw so far.

Usually with a log this length and diameter, I would cut it in half and make two small tikis, but I thought I'd try and see what an elongated one would look like.

Update tomorrow!

So far, so good :wink:

B

Love the Giant eyes, this one looks Very promising.

S

Sick chain saw work so far. Looks like all 4 wheels are turning.

Today's progress pics.
By lunchtime:

End of day two:

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 1:57 PM

Great stuff Wheeler... I can't wait to come over and check your place out - it looks like a wonderful place to carve. Keep postin up'

Anytime Babs! Pick a day, we'll make a chop out of it!

Made more progress today. Tomorrow, stain!

S

Looking fantastic! Man you used the length and thickness just right
on this log (nice job).

Very nice, Bill! Just catching up on your excellent work again... So last Sunday I picked up a primo fan palm log from Andy that he said came from you. Funny how these things get around!!

A-A

way rad Bill, that tall guy is killer

I think this is my new fave Bill, I absolutely love it. I like it raw, are you putting a stain? 8)

That came out really well. I was kinda doubtful at first but you really pulled that off. Exceptional use of space.

Very Nice , show us a pic of your chainsaw that you work with if you dont mind.

Good eye Seek.

Note to self: Skinnier I get, the more profound my length and thickness.

Ha!

How many tikis you gonna carve at the lagoon this time Bill? :)

Pretty much finished! I may do some minor touchup or darkening, but for now, done!

Thanks all for the props! :D

On 2009-06-13 12:19, drasticwagon wrote:
Very Nice , show us a pic of your chainsaw that you work with if you dont mind.

Here ya go!
An Echo 346 for cuttin', and a Stihl 021 that has a Log Wizard perma-mounted to the nose for debarking.:D

So I had a busy and productive day today.
The sun was out, so I brought the Marquesan family onto the deck for a family pic.

Another view.

Then I started on a 5' commision piece, due July 4.
Only got the face partially roughed out, w/chainsaw and a chisel.

Then I started this guy.

Looks a little odd from this angle!
Not sure if it'll get more carving, I need to look at it for a day or two.
I want to leave the bark on, cuz I like the texture.
That's all I got!

I really dig the way you make those marqs have their own personality.

great stuff man...really unique and different!

So I only had three uncompleted tikis lying around, so why not start a new one!
Started this one yesterday, and here it is today.

I copied a photo of an unknown to me mug for the face, something a little different and quick!

I also stained this tiki that's been sitting for a few weeks. I decided not to do any embellishment on it.
He looks happy to be done!

And I slightly reshaped this one, and sanded the carved parts. The bark stays on.

Nice job 4wd , thanks for the reply.

S

Nice Nice! Love it when you show the family shots.

Thanks, guys! Seeks, the Marq family will be going to Oasis, all that I still have, and all I carve before then.
Speaking of which, today I didn't have to work, due to no work :( so I decided to do a One-Day Tiki.
This morning, I picked a log (fan palm) and skinned the fronds off, then planed the bark off, then chainsawed the basic shape, then chiseled away, then sanded, stained, burned and stained again!
Here's what I ended up with:

It's about 4 feet tall.

Started at 8:30am. Finished by 5pm. Took several breaks. :D

Beat that, Buzzy! :P

That thing is sweet! I dig the smooth, almost clay-like, texture your tikis end up with. Nice.

Wow, I wish I could do a one-day tiki... I could do a one month tiki and it wouldn't come out that nice! I think you have this down to a science, Bill. So, how many "career" tikis have you racked up in the 4WDBill portfolio?

Been finishing up this commission piecefrom a couple posts up. It's nothing new really. They wanted a copy of an older tiki out of my photos. Here it is this morning after it's second coat of varnish.

While it was drying, I started and finished this tiki for a trade with a friend for some truck parts. :wink:

Here's the two together.

More tomorrow!

B

Man, 4Wheel, you are getting an Excellent collection of Excellent tikis and the last one fits right in. Nice finish too.

H

I agree 100% with Benzart.

Thanks Matt, Aaron, Ben and Hilda!
Aaron, I don't know how many I've carved,...Hundreds maybe?
Hilda, you missed the chop!

So here's another I finished up yesterday. The remaining bark on it was aged to that grey that I like so much, so I tried to find a stain that would match it to some degree. I picked "Peppermill".

Looks better in person, :wink: nice and weathered.

BD

really like the way this guy turned out. love that you left the bark on there. definitely gives it an older feel and look to it. great job.

bd

Thanks, bd. Sounds like we both appreciate the same aged look.

So I've had this tiki hanging around that I started a couple weeks ago at Hank's lagoon chop.
I had it roughed out using only chisel, which for me is very rare. :wink:
Today I decided to finish it. A little more chisel work, some power sanding, and a torching, and it's done!

It was splitting a LOT the whole time it was sitting half carved, but luckily I like that look. :D

Then I started another. Here's where I am so far.

Not sure where I'm going with it, but I'll figure it out in a few days!

And just to share, I got to get out of town Saturday. I went up to Big Bear Lake (CA) to go 4-wheeling with some friends, my other passtime. (4WD)tiki. :wink:
Here's a view from the south shore of the lake.

Here's me on a fun part of the trail. :)

Big Bear Lake is gorgeous,Bill!
Thanks for goin there and tearin it up!
:lol:
hope you had a blast!
Gettin back to nature always replenishes the soul...

that Marq with the cracks and splits....PERFECT!
adds character and some faux age!

that new one has a great silhouette so far!

OMG!! I can't believe I used to do that! :o

Tearing it up LEGALLY, Ken! :D That there is a CA State Forest road for street legal vehicles only!
Yes, and Lennie used to do that, once in her own grocery getter!!! :o
Good times...good times.

So I dug up a pic out of the last chop thread, to show where this tiki was after the first day of carving.

After second day of carving.

Any questions? :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies