Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

B

Yeah, You sure this is not the one you finished already about 60 years ago? he looks too old to be just carved! cool tiki

S

Holly crap you are putting out some fine work. Love it.

Thanks Benz, thanks seekz! :D

So I got some tiki time in today. This is the one I started last weekend. Scroll up a few posts to see what it looked like up until this morning. :wink:
Been working on it off and on today, and here's where it is.

Nice one 4wd

Are you trying to out-carve Buzzy? :lol: I was bored at work on a Sunday so I ventured into the Carving section, looks good Bill

I say you raft the truck over to that island and do some serious rockcrawling :o I love Big Bear in the summer but the winter's a bit cold for my thin desert blood.

WOW!!!!! :D

Another weekend, another weekend update!

I've been working on this one all week, picking away at it and trying to find my direction. It was inspired by the last tiki in my post above, with the camera angle from the ground looking to the sky. I thought why not make just the top half of a tiki, kind of like a bust.

So it's a Marq, but with slight hints of Easter Island, and the Sphinx! (to me)

Pepsi can for scale.

Hope to finish it tomorrow.

Very cool tikis...
I really like the one you did 60 years ago :lol:
It really looks nice!!

very rad bill. you could dig out a hole behind the hands and turn that tiki into a giant dog bowl

:D

Cool Marq bust! Okay, I got the Sphinx reference with the arms out front like a pooch. And Easter Island I'm guessing because it looks half buried? I saw a photo one time where they excavated one of the heads and it actually had a full body carved in stone stone below which was buried at some point in the quarry. Am I right? That's all I got!

Ah Pepsi, sweet nectar of the gods! And tiki, tribute to the gods - what a great combination :)

B

I Really love this guy and the current one too Mr Bill

The Pepsi can is Perfect, How did you get the color So Perfect?
Oh Yeah the tiki is really Excellent too!

Many thanks, MHH, Thomas, AA, MDM, and Benz! Yes Aaron, you're right about the Moai reference, that and the lean this piece has.

So I finished it up today, check it out!

And together with the other one, which I detailed slightly.

They sure look small in these pics, but they are close to 5 feet tall.

Bill, I love the color of the Pepsi God, rich & brown. Like carmel colored Pepsi, sweet nectar of the gods :lol:

B

More EXCELENT Stuff!

T

Very cool vibe on both of those dudes! The dark one is really unique looking - nice design! Nice work.

On 2009-07-26 15:55, 4WDtiki wrote:
They sure look small in these pics, but they are close to 5 feet tall.

These are indeed mighty fine and are monumental in person. hope some of you will get a chance to take a peek at these now at Freaky Boutiki Gallery along with some other distinctive 4WD styled Marqs! Mahalo Bill!! You're THE SUPERSTAR BUZZ SAW KING!!!!

Mad Dog, yeah, that's my new custom mix Pepsi stain! :lol:
Benz and BigT, thanks, I had fun trying to come up with something different for that one piece.
Hank, thanks for havin' me! I may bring down some more. :D

Speaking of something different, there was no work at my job today, so I was feeling stressed and poor. What better motivation to try something different!
Yeah, I've done female tikis before, but it's been a little while, and this babe is her own woman!
Started this morning, she's mostly carved and partially sanded. I need to do some touchup, then sand and burn.

Per usual, I'll be adding nipples on. Not enough dimension on the log.

My new favorite camera angle. :wink:

There may not be work tomorrow either, so good chance I'll finish. :roll:

Progress so far today. Nipples are on! :wink:

The day's not over, so another progress pic is coming!

Doink!

Ahhh Nipples!! :)

Looks like they were lovingly hand sanded..... like the entire piece.

H

Bill your work is just fine. The more female tikis the better.

Thanks Hilda! I need to do more females. :wink:
MHH and PCT, thanks. They WERE "lovingly hand sanded", but I wasn't happy with them,
so I redid and reduced the boobs to not look so silicone-like.
Take a look now.

I like'em better.
Here she is with a tiki I banged out today.

More of the little guy.

Well thanks a lot 4wd! You have killed my evening looking through your entire thread. I really enjoyed looking at all your work. It looks really sharp.

Thanks Mr. Poohbah! I try to keep a high pictures-to-words ratio in my thread, for that very reason. :lol:

H

Doood. Nice Apalachian peaks. And to the south... Virginia of course.

It's all about the east coast! :wink:

This weekend's work:

B

Impressive is all I can say.

Jealous!! :blush:

Tripod Tiki?

S

Impressive, fine work you make it look so easy.

B

Man you are Really giving the East coast a good name with all these great tiki carves. The extra time cleaning up the details shows! Whats on for this week?

Bill, ..... I love your nipples. :blush:

Would you give me pointers? :lol:

bump

Just saw this and it's freaking awesome!!

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua - to fix broken image link - 2009-09-13 21:57 ]

Bula Bula Bill. I just looked all the way through your entire thread. Impresive amount of creating. I still love my Moai. it looks perfect in my mid century environment.

Dawn

On 2009-08-03 17:10, 4WDtiki wrote:
Thanks Hilda! I need to do more females. :wink:
MHH and PCT, thanks. They WERE "lovingly hand sanded", but I wasn't happy with them,
so I redid and reduced the boobs to not look so silicone-like.
Take a look now.

This hottie is available RIGHT THIS MOMENT at FBG. Come and get her fellas!! Wooooooo!

On 2009-09-13 18:28, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Bula Bula Bill. I just looked all the way through your entire thread. Impresive amount of creating. I still love my Moai. it looks perfect in my mid century environment.

Dawn

Dawnee! Glad you're happy with it! I love my trade piece, too, and NEED to get off my ass and take a pic of it to post in your thread.
That's a cool green on your wall, BTW.

Hank, thanks for the props!

Mooney, thanks for the original bump! I take it as a signal to get busy carving. :lol:
I should have something this weekend.

Hey Bill. Hows Nippzy doin?

FINALLY started a tiki, - the first since Oasis!
This is today's work, just roughed out with chainsaw and chisel.
It looks much more promising in person, :wink: the bright sun really killed the pics.

He's holding a paddle. It's a commision for the local outrigger club, for the head coach. I'll be carving his name into it, and the club name.

Tomorrow, it'll look a little better.

Great Paddlemeister! Oasis was months ago, about time you got off your duff! :D

You are so right, Mike!

Here's yesterday's progress. Sanded, and ready for details.

That's really great looking Bill. I could see a pair of these standing watch at an entrance somewhere.

Thanks, Ray! Two years ago, the same club ordered two paddler tikis:

They said "Coach" and "President".
This one will have all the lettering on the paddle.

Today I did the eyes, teeth, and fingers:

... and look how much more dialed in your style is now compare to two years ago.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies