Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

I roughed out this tiki the past couple days. Looks like I'm done with me "Hawaiian" period! For now. :wink:

Pretty standard 4WD style Marq type tiki, but it will have a twist.

I'm going to carve just a little more on it, then pass it over to HodadHank to take over. We talked about this at the chop, and we both wanted to see what can happen. So stay tuned. :D

Come get your log and carve with me, Bill. The flamer is cool, man.

S

This should be fun.

Did some more, and it's pretty much ready to hand over to Hank.

I didn't carve in any kind of mouth, I'll leave that for Hank.

Awesome works Bill, you have all the styles down!

On 2010-05-16 19:19, 4WDtiki wrote:
I'm going to carve just a little more on it, then pass it over to HodadHank to take over. We talked about this at the chop, and we both wanted to see what can happen. So stay tuned. :D

Looking good Bill. Can't wait to detail that sucker!

T

Nice work and those starting deep cuts put you far ahead of the pack

Nice work as always Bill.

B

great stuff bill
glad to see you are still pumping them out

hey,no az jokes

Mahalos!
I dropped the unfinished tiki off at Hank's over the weekend, we'll see what he does with it.
He said look for finished pics in a week! :wink:

Here's what I've been doing for a customer, another Ku. No, it's not the one from the other page!

Very Nice!! How tall is this guy?

thats killer man!

L

Neat work 4WD...

S

Another Classic you have there 4WD.

You da best!!!! :wink:

On 2010-05-24 19:33, 4WDtiki wrote:
Mahalos!
I dropped the unfinished tiki off at Hank's over the weekend, we'll see what he does with it.
He said look for finished pics in a week! :wink:

Yeah right. Hey this collaboration will be interesting BECAUSE I work slowly on details. Sheesh. I was gonna post some progress shots but cant seem to find my camera. Promise to post soon. -Hodaddy

T

Very Clean!!

Bill,
I like this flavor

I know its an older one,

B

Older is sometimes Better.. :o :D

:lol:

Dawn, you got it!
Dawn was showing me what she wants me to carve her for our annaul trade @ Oasis. :D

Some of you might have seen this thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36593&forum=17&3 about a memorial event for Emery Kauanui. I'm giving them a tiki for the surf contest winner. Here it is so far. I just need to carve a 3"x5" space into the bottom for the plaque, and stain it.

It's just over two feet tall.
I took a break from it today and started another Ku. Here it is after a grueling 10 minutes of chainsawing.

Can you see a tiki yet?

The trophy looks great! nicely done! ..... and a cool gesture on your part .... I saw your announcement on the SoCal events page, terrible for that to happen to that kid - good to see the tribute, I hope it helps the family to heal .... if the Sunday party doesn't ruin me I may head over for that ..... If nothing else to see that carving demo! (I'll be taking notes!)

Excellente!

Thank you thank you, Cap'n and drastic!
Slight progress on this one since this morning.

T
TikiG posted on Sat, May 29, 2010 5:20 PM

Bill -

The trophy is going to make the winner a very very happy person! Well done and beautiful job on this carving, not to mention such a noble expression for a noble cause.

Rock on! G

Thanks, G! I'll take a few pics at the event tomorrow to share.

So here it is all finished!
Cutout in base for the plaque.

I left large areas plain, but it still looks good, IMO.

Holy crap! I wanna win that!!!!!

You can't win if you don't enter, surfin'! :lol:
I finished up this Ku on the beach at the event today. Here's where Erik the Red and I sat and carved the day away.

Here's the Ku after I got back home.

The setting sun makes the colors seem enhanced in this shot.

S

I love this Ku. Seeing how a few basic cuts with a chainsaw can eliminate so much time chiseling away and you can get stuck straight into the detail. Very inspiring.

H

I love this piece also. Bill, you get better and better with every piece you carve. :)

Swizzle, that's exactly right! Just the straight-in cuts save huge amounts of time with the chisel. Got chainsaw? :D

Hilda, thank you! And thanks for stopping in. I haven't seen you in forever!

BTW, I just put that Ku up for sale on craigslist tonight... http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/1770797101.html

S

On 2010-06-01 21:09, 4WDtiki wrote:
Swizzle, that's exactly right! Just the straight-in cuts save huge amounts of time with the chisel. Got chainsaw? :D

I have now. Bought one today and i'll be trying it out on the weekend. I've never used one before so i'll be interested to see how I go.

T

On 2010-06-01 21:09, 4WDtiki wrote:

Hilda, thank you! And thanks for stopping in. I haven't seen you in forever!

BTW, I just put that Ku up for sale on craigslist tonight... http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/1770797101.html

Yes I do have chainsaw. And I found it damn difficult to visualize my cuts, let alone control where they were going! :lol:

Bravo!

S

Big guy is very cool. Nice chops.

One final pic of the trophy tiki from the last page. This is of the winner, Tyler (white shirt in center) and his friends.

Go here if you want the whole story and event pics: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36593&forum=17&12

T

That is a great trophy man I deffitly like the smaller ku

M

How many hours do u have into that craigslist Ku, if u don't mind me asking? Very nice! Trying to get a handle on pricing my own little guys. Wish I had some extra dough and I'd have u send that guy my way. Keep up the awesome work!

Metalhead

[ Edited by: metalhead 2010-06-03 21:52 ]

Fantastic job on the trophy Bill,I reck'n Tyler must be pretty
stoked with himself.Cheers Watango

S

On 2010-06-03 21:14, metalhead wrote:
How many hours do u have into that craigslist Ku, if u don't mind me asking?
[ Edited by: metalhead 2010-06-03 21:52 ]

Me too. I'm not looking at selling any of my carvings, at least not yet. I'm just curious to see how long it takes YOU to whip up such a great looking Tiki carving.

A
amate posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2010 12:37 PM

I finally took some time to review your thread from the start. That's a very impressive resume Bill.

Thanks tikigodz, Wantango and amate!
swizzle and metalhead, I don't keep track of the hours I put in, but that Ku was 3 days start to finish.
Amate, I really need to put all the pictures into a Gallery thread so others won't have to wade through all 54 pages!

So here's what I'm working on. I started the bigger tiki this morning, and it's blocked and shaped. The smaller one is what I started last Monday at the beach.

S

Very cool on the Memorial day. The kids looked stoked and the colors in that
picture are amazing.

Well, 10 days later and the two unfinished tikis above have not progressed a bit!
But, I did start this one today, and got this far by sundown.

It's a 'copy' of a tiki I did in late 08. A client saw a pic and said "I want that!" It's pretty close, but is ending up a little different, and that's good.

This Sunday, I'll be appearing in a freakshow. Look here

Bill, great trophy! Anyone would be super stoked to get that guy!

Loving the new creations... keep the great work coming!

K

Man, which of your tikis sucks is the question? I'm a 4WDTiki fan. I still trip on the Marq I got from ya at Oasis. Paint some more of those guys, because my tattooed (with white) needs a bud! Tangaroa?!

Lake, thanks! I'm trying to keep up with you!
Kahaka, cool, I got a fan! And yeah, I forgot about that one with the white tattoos. I'll work on getting one done for oasis, in case you want another. Tang? I'll give it a try!

I finished up this Marq today, and just in time. I just loaded all 5 feet of it into the guy's Prius. :lol:

Yesterday's pic.

Today's pics.

Minimal sanding and finishing on this one.

Close up showing the texture.

I want him!

Thats a sweet marq ........ You do great work and def have your own style

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-06-18 19:46 ]

Jen, you already have the ORIGINAL!!! :lol: :-?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies