Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

Your finishes are beautiful!

I mean, your carving is top-notch, but the finishes are really something special.

One day I hope to do some large-scale wood carving, but until then all I can manage here at my Brooklyn studio is small to medium foam work.

You're an inspiration though!

Haha, thanks, I was just looking at YOUR thread again, thinking YOUR finishes are insane! I'm amazed that it's just paint on top of the foam, it looks like fiberglass with a hotrod's paintjob!

Well, it's not straight foam, I use some specialty coatings designed for the scenic industry. Most are water-soluble, but they do require sanding and skim-coating to smooth things out. In the past I have used fiberglass on large-scale stuff, but it can be a real pain. You have to plaster coat the foam first so the resin won't eat it, then there's the nastiness of sanding, and then a finish coat that will accept paint... what a drag!

And, yeah, those metallic finishes were kustom-hotrod inspired! Metallic bases with layered glazes gives you the illusion without the toxicity.
But you do have to sacrifice some durability in the bargain.

Go, go go!

Sometimes all you need is three tools!!!

Have fun!

B

Crazy stuff with only a mallet, a chisel and a chainsaw !
Hat's off.

B.

This tiki turned out NOT to be the one due this weekend. I had a change of ideas and started the rush job tiki Saturday morning, and finished it this morning for a noontime pickup! But, I did not take a pic of it!

So I went back to work on this one today, sanding sanding sanding. Here's where it's at:

Here with the first one:

S

Well done! Man you put out the work.

JT

Had to catch up on your thread,... Killer stuff Bill!!
-Johnny B.

I love how crisp and smooth your cuts are. What kind of wood did you say you use?

Thanks everybody!
Poobah, I use Mexican Fan Palm. Probably doesn't grow in your neighborhood. :lol:

I started another tiki today, a female, but no pics yet, so I'll tide things over with a group shot or two of tikis currently 'in stock' in my yard.

S

AWESOME!

Love it!

I love that first photo. You the man.

Officially my desktop pic now...

B

Man thats a GREAT Bunch of Tikis man, You are climbing to the top of the heap, Chip by chip.

B

man bill!
i think i figured it out
you get your tikis to make tikis to make tikis........

Thank you all, it means a lot!
I did some carving today. I've always wanted to try to do something with the larger scrap pieces that are the result of chainsawing the rough shapes. Today I gave it a try, and here's what I came up with.

This one is full round log on the top, and was cut off at a sharp angle, giving it a decapitated head quality that doesn't fully show in this pic.

These two are thin wedge shapes, probably 1.5" at the middle. Kinda Witco, but they never used palm. :wink:

Here's the female I started yesterday. You can see why I have a lot of wedge shaped scraps! The two masks above are from this tiki.

It's actually a lot further along than this pic shows, so look for another progress shot tomorrow.

GREAT idea with the half sunken head in the dirt! Perfect for the tiki garden!!

S

Wow! Love the line up. Im digging the girl.

Here's where I stopped on the girl tonight.

She is gorgeous.

P

Dude, your stuff kicks ass.

Always inspires me.

I'm in luv with the woman. She's gonna break alot of hearts out there. Great idea on making use of scrap pieces, recycling at it's best. The twins would look great hanging on the wall. Tiki shields? The bigger wedge, after hollowing out would look great for hiding my bose sattelite high up on the wall :lol:. Tiki Bar accessories anyone?

T

On 2010-07-22 12:45, 4WDtiki wrote:

Hmmm... a Husqvarna sleeve on an Echo saw. Isn't that kinda like puttin a Mercedes logo on your Toyota?! :lol:

Haha, juuuust kiddin'. Echo makes good stuff too. :)

Big T, that's all the equipment shop had on hand when I needed one. At least it's the right color! :wink:

The other week, I mentioned I had a rush order for a tiki, and I did not get a pic of it before it was whisked away. That tiki is now living in Vegas with Tiki Lee's, and he was nice enough to send me a pic.

The tiki does stand straight. Lee though, I'm not sure about.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.