Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

This is my tiki from the May Chop in Temecula. It's not done yet, but I like the way it looks after I burn and sand it. :wink:I still want to put some tattoo type designs on the flat parts, and I need to cut in some teeth. But this is the most I've had to show in a week or two. :D

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-05-20 16:39 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 4:59 PM

Nice work mate. Really like your style. But carve more! :D

On 2007-05-01 19:24, Benzart wrote:
Man 4WD, your place must be Crawling with Cool Tikis, how many now a Dozen or more.

This garage pic is for you, Ben.

Hmm, seems my camera's date reset to default! I took this pic today, I swear!

Hewey, Thanks for the props! I'll try to carve more! It's funny, back when the days were short and it would be dark at 5:30, I would tell myself that I couldn't wait for the sun to set at almost 8PM, so I could carve for hours! :rolleyes:

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 9:27 PM

Nice looking garage there! :D

Sunset at my house tonight: 7:39 PM. I managed to work until close to 8.
Howz them details coming?
Or did you take a nap after work?
You could always carve in the living room. The extra productivity would more than make up for the loss of the security deposit.
I like the green jade inlays on most of your tikis' heads.

Buzzy

I carved this one the other week, and just finished varnishing it today.

If it looks familiar, someone wanted a copy of this earlier tiki. How'd I do? :D

I started and finished this one today. I'm really into the primitive basic look lately.

It's related to this one from a week ago or so.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 6:25 PM

Looks awesome! the 'clone' looks better than the original :D

B

Great work 4WD....I think that the old crumbly one you did a while back (last pic) would look real choice hiding in the bushes at Babalu's Casa...maybe we can hash out a deal of some kind at the next Chop?

B

Aaack! Tiki Overload, Lookit all them there tikis, just standing around with their hands in their pockets(they DO have pockets don't they?), talking and probably listening to musik. How do you put up with hem all day long?
Nice work.

H

Great work. I like the tall guy on the left side in the last picture a lot. That would look great in my backyard jungle.

Guess what, Hilda? It's for sale! :P

Today's tiki = Two Hour Tiki. One hour this morning, went to see our favorite band this afternoon, and then another hour after dinner. Nuthin fancy.

H

I really like your style mate. Im getting some 5 foot palm logs, and there's a good chance you will see some 4WD influence in my carves on them

Looking foward to seeing them, Hewey!

So I've entered a new phase in my carving. I bought my own set of Flexcut chisels!!!
I got the 6 piece starter set.
Here's my first use of them, I added onto an existing tiki.

Then I grabbed the one I carved with the chisels purchase in mind. This is how it looked on page 7:

This is after chisels:

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 5:04 PM

Whoa Bill!! Major, Major stuff happening now...Killer work man!

Suh-Weet! Nice job... that really dressed him up!

M
mieko posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 6:46 PM

Wow Bill, he's just incredible! It's so exciting seeing what you're doing with new tools! How'd you get the nice dark lines in the chiseled areas? Burn again then sand?

Mieko

Okay, last reworked retread from page 7:

Thanks for all the compliments!

Mieko, dark stain and a small brush!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 8:21 PM

The lines are a nice addition to your tikis. A really good place to pick up shapes for your designs is to look at tapa cloth designs. Another idea is to add some colour in the lines: reds, whites etc

T

I love the details that you've added Bill. You have a distinctive style, and this just adds a whole new dimension to it.

C

Loving this last Tiki! He's GREAT!!

Love your style 4WDtiki. It’s different, kind of chunky and tribal looking. Very pleasing to my eye. I just don’t get how some of you guys make tikis so fast (two hours? :o). It takes me hours and hours.

Mrs Hoptiki

Wow, it's been two weeks with no carving!, but I started a new one today. I skinned this log last month, and have been waiting for a plan to formulate, but I gave up and just started winging it! I call it the Mr. Potatohead Carving Method: I like these eyes, and that nose, and I'll use this mouth, etc. Pretty soon I got a tiki goin' on. :wink:

I'm not sure how I'll do the body yet, but it'll have one, and something around the top of the head.
I will continue the winging soon!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 17, 2007 8:34 PM

It's not finished yet? I thought they only took an hour each... :lol: :lol: Looking good so far :D

Excellent work, personality really pops out with the detail that you are adding.
These are very "easy" to look at...not too busy.

lookin good with the new chisel set.

Bring a long any little guys under 2 feet when we meet up in SD - If it fits in my luggage its goin with me.

either way I'll see u soon!

jack

B

Killer Wheeler!! These guys are looking TOP CHOICE!!

Another tiki that was hanging around that fell victim to practice with the new chisels!

M
Moki posted on Sun, Jun 24, 2007 11:00 AM

Sweeeeeeet!! Nice job!!

Have you had to use any of the bandaids that come with the set of Flexcut's yet? :wink:

Band-aids are so far unused!

Spent an hour with the saw on this guy today, first progress since the head shot last weekend.

K

Cool stuff, and I mean ALL of it! You've got a style all your own, but still has that old school touch! Dig!

B

Superb.

H

Nice carving Bill.

I managed to get some minor progress on this guy at the Chop over the weekend, just sanding and de-angularizing.

Sunday, I broke out the flexcut V and started the detail work. Here's what I have so far.

Z
Zaya posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 10:46 AM

Hey 4WD, the details are coming out great! I really like how you did the center of the eye. Can't wait to see more!

Zaya

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 3:54 PM

Lookinf very nice my friend :D

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 4:33 PM

This one looks great! Hey, have you tried Tikimecula's wax approach? It would fill in those lines great. Or stain the lines dark, sand, then stain it all a medium color on the surfaces...

Wow! The details are looking really sharp bro! I agree, the eyes look damned nice! Is he gonna be done before the next chop, or are you working another at the same time?
The Birdman

Thanks all, I'm feelin the love!

More progress today:

Cam, I have not tried the Briwax yet, but this may be the one to try it on. We have some at work, and I may bring home a can.

Birdman, I'm hoping to have it done before the next chop!

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 4:30 PM

Damn Bill....those chisels become you brother! Your 4W "off road" style is just too tight! Keep-um coming.

That's looking bad ass! I luv it! :D

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 4:53 PM

very nice

B

Wow 4Wheeler, those Flexcuts seem to have unleashed some Super powers in your soul. Lookit what you are DOING with them. Awesome!..

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 9:22 PM

What Benz said man - nice jump in quality and detail in this guy :D

On 2007-06-24 11:52, 4WDtiki wrote:
Band-aids are so far unused!

Spent an hour with the saw on this guy today, first progress since the head shot last weekend.

You should leave one like this sometime. I think it looks great.

T

Damned Bro, I had some friends over today for the 4th and wanted to show them some of everyones works, but my buddy was fixated on this piece, especially when I showed him the progress shot from the chop! Dude, looks really, really sweet! Remember when I asked about how folks felt about others using various aspects of others work on there own stuff, expect to see some of yours floating around!
The Birdman

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Jul 5, 2007 7:07 AM

Lotsa nice, consistant triangles and other geometry on your detail. That protractor is coming in handy, eh Bill? :)

TD

awsome! looks great, i was waiting for some more pictures on that one.
thanks for posting

I appreciate all the kind words, thank you all. :)

Tikidreams, it's funny you think that. That's how ALL my tikis used to look, before I had any tools except the chainsaw. Maybe I will start leaving a few in the rough stage.

Dav, no protractor was harmed in the making of this tiki. :D It's all eyeballed, except for the large deep pattern at the very top, where I did mark out 6" triangles. :oops: In high schrool, I did ace geometry, but barely passed algebra. :wink:

Today's update, for duddy. Both arms are done, here's a pic of one. I love my V-chisel!

I just noticed, some butt-crack has slipped into the picture, sorry!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies