Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

South Pacific, Newton, MA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Go BK Go!

DC

BK

Well, I just returned from a visit to the South Pacific. After an hour & a half of this:

I arrived to find this:

There was no one around & I could see pretty much nothing through the door. I called & left a message with the real estate agent. I will make a nuisance of myself until I get in to at least take some pictures. Another TC member has made an inquiry, as well. I will update as information becomes available. Newton is a wealthy town, hopefully stuff doesn't get scooped up by someone with more money than brains.
Rick

OGR

GO BK GO...great response time...GOOD LUCK!

On 2012-10-02 14:57, modbetty wrote:
I just heard the news myself and am so so so bummed. Looks like they've already gutted the place as well.

There's a Facebook Page for anyone who wants to mourn along with me.

https://www.facebook.com/southpacificmemorial

Anyone wanna meet up at the Bali Hi?

[ Edited by: modbetty 2012-10-02 14:58 ]

NO!!!!!!!

No to the horrid news, that is, not to the idea of meeting up at the Bali Hai!! This is really sad news. Why o why?

Thank you for your work, Rick. This does look kind of barren, but keep on digging. WHO will take the sign?

Has anyone heard anymore about this situation, before I make another trip out there. I can't believe it's been almost a year!

H

I found a lease listing for this space online that seems to still be active (and no listing for any business that has taken over the space), and from that Facebook page it appears that the sign may still be there. (Incidentally, a post on that page also reports that an employee says the owners decided to retire, that's why it closed.)

Anyone have more recent intel? Did the real estate agent ever get back to you? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GUTS!?!?

Man, I loved South Pacific. Had the most warm and wonderful evening there a few years back. It's a terrible loss (though I don't begrudge the owners their retirement, good for them).

I went a few days after I got the news in the middle of the afternoon. They were in process of taking the place apart. I went in and saw the kitchen completely down to the bare grease and grime. The "longhouse" room with paintings was still untouched. I got what might be the last pic of it. I asked the workers what was going to happen to it. They didn't know. I made some kind of crazy offer ($) for a lamp and they called the plaza owner on the cell. He took my phone number but I never heard back. I suppose it's possible that stuff is still inside if no one has moved in yet but I doubt it.

OGR

A recent loop-net listing...http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18401026/1152-Beacon-St-Newton-MA/

Anyone know what happened with the decor from this place?

Pages: 1 2 57 replies