Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Swap - 4/7 Draw Completed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 1:37 AM

Well, the last 3 people to swap can go in a 3-some swap thingy, its not that big a deal :D

Sneaky the luchadore/wrestler mask guy I would say is a bit too 'off topic', but the kava kava man and the maoi profiles are SWEET and I would love either of em.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 2:46 AM

On 2007-04-01 01:37, hewey wrote:
Well, the last 3 people to swap can go in a 3-some swap thingy, its not that big a deal :D

Sneaky the luchadore/wrestler mask guy I would say is a bit too 'off topic', but the kava kava man and the maoi profiles are SWEET and I would love either of em.

He ain't no luchadore - he's a Rapa Nui barkcloth figure and part of the set Sneaky posted. I'm more than happy to see cool stuff like Sneaky's work included (I really dig it and would be stoked to have one), but painters may get the raw end of the deal on postage costs if they draw any of us Down Under fellas? How big are those works Sneaky?
So, it's Easter in 1 week isn't it? :o

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 5:52 AM

On 2007-04-01 02:46, Paipo wrote:

On 2007-04-01 01:37, hewey wrote:

He ain't no luchadore - he's a Rapa Nui barkcloth figure and part of the set Sneaky posted. I'm more than happy to see cool stuff like Sneaky's work included (I really dig it and would be stoked to have one)

OOPS! In that case its in :D

F
flynny posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 8:43 AM

Nice one Hewey

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 9:09 AM

Yeah Flynny, I'm down. Please PM me the final list when you are ready. The Doc and I will do a random draw from a hat. If you want me to use another method, just specify in the PM.

-G

ST

You can do a swap with an odd number if you don't try to swap directly between two people. Just make a list of swappers and another list of submissions and randomly match them up.

Flynny,

Thanks fer the add, glad I saw this on the last day! I hadn't read the whole thread before an' thought it was carvers only.

Hewey,

Luchadore? I can definitely see where you are coming from, he does resemble that remark!
He reminds me alot of NZ Hei-tikis an such with the beak protruding out over the mouth, probably has a long lost connection, the reptilian/bird elements in Maori art are very compelling.

Paipo, thanks mate! The Moai-Aku piece is 16" sqr, the other two are 12" by 16". They might not cost much if I put them on the slow boat to Oz or NZ ? The recipient might hafta wait a couplah mo's though. They weigh 3.5 lb's total unpacked.

Yahey!
ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-01 20:53 ]

8T

Just one week left to complete your work. I'm getting close and look forward to the exchange. Pics later when the deadline is here.

Update report: Eeek!

I have done a couple of sessions on the Tama-fied Moai Kava-kava but am still only halfway through carving. Never fear, I will be working on him each night this week until done (Mrs Terrible insists that I work on it outside of shop hours, which is fair enuff I suppose).

No worries; see you at the Easter Parade! :wink:

*Ive also had a thought for future swaps: How about we make the 'Tiki-Swap' thread simply that; a swap-meet for anyone who has anything they would like to swap. You'd simply post a piccy of what youve got & specify what you'd consider swapping for..? All could be arranged privately & without the need for trying to organise lots of people.

Whattaya reckon..?

Tama :)

Whats up?! You all still need one more swopper??? I gots a Maori/Moko driftwood pendant done up ready to go.. If you need an alternate, I'll chime in. Maholla back!! fB

B

Damn I better Get Busy!
I think a Tiki Swap meet would be great! We'll have to check into that one Tama .

F
flynny posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2007 4:46 AM

Freddie, as long as everyone is cool with it I will add you to the list.
Tama, I think the semi permanant Swap thread would be a good idea.
What's the consensus on the draw Good Friday or Easter Monday (keeping in with the Easter theme)
I guess the Monday gives people another few days.
regards to you swappers
Flynny

B

Here's my piece:

C

This is so nice to watch! a sooo great bunch of people! I didn't try to participate first because I don't carve really, and cause right now I'm a little poor and sending stuff from here is very expensive... Best wishes to you all keep rocking and giving a so great example of kindness and friendship !!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 12:32 PM

On 2007-04-03 04:46, flynny wrote:

What's the consensus on the draw Good Friday or Easter Monday (keeping in with the Easter theme)
I guess the Monday gives people another few days.
regards to you swappers
Flynny

Monday is probably best, although mine probably only needs another hour. If you wanted to be really anal it should be Sunday, as that was the day Roggeveen "discovered" the island.
Maybe we could make these bi-monthly or quarterly so people have more time to work on their pieces - have a month or so off between swaps to keep interest up? I already do quite a bit of trading and it's hard to fit too many non-paying carvings in.

B

I vote for Sunday as I will be Out of town from Monday through Saturday

Benz,
Whoa, new piece! That's a great new take on the "Benz" Moai. -- "In cars and car-vings, you can be sure the Benz name stands for quality." hehheh.

F
flynny posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 8:56 AM

Nice work Benz, I hope my lucks in, is that Black Jade or another type of rock.
Any objections to Sunday for the draw.
Gman are you around.
I too am not around Monday, but would love to be around for the draw.
Regards to all
Flynny

B

Thanks Sneaky, I Love that Benz stuff!
You too Flynny. He is from Mexican River rock I got from Home depot. A 20 lb bag was $3.95 and it is fairly hard and solid.
Sunday draw would be best for me too, that way I could possibly get the package in Mondays mail. If not then I'll have to wait until the following Monday.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 10:21 AM

Gents,

I am around but will be trail riding most of the long weekend. I can do the swap draw on Sunday so everyone can get stuff mailed on Monday.

I need to know how you decided you want it done. I was going to put all the names in a hat, draw one and then another. I figured those two would then trade/swap. I was thinking you guys wanted a paired match. I saw some other posts asking about another method, but did not see any conclusions.

Flynny - just send me a PM with the names and the requested method and I will do it and post the results on Sunday evening.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-05 10:23 ]

F

I have Pm'd GMan with the list on the first thread of the post and suggested the list as it is posted forms the makers list. The same eighteen names will go into a hat, (you obviously cannot draw your own name out to recieve your piece), the name that gets drawn first recieves the piece from the first maker on the list, etc, etc.
I hope this is ok
Following the draw can the maker get in contact with the recipient and get address for postage purposes.
Good luck to everyone (Thanks G for the patience)
Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-04-05 11:19 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 11:20 AM

...and so it will be done....check back Sunday for the list!

-Gman

Thanks G-Man!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2007 9:56 AM

I'm excited! Mine is almost done, need to decide about the bottom and do the finish. I'm pretty sure it's mahogany. In general, I don't think Moai's are something I'm good at. Here's some bad pictures of it so far:

Mieko

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2007 8:01 PM

OK folks, gather 'round, the draw is complete. Here is how they were pulled out of the hat by the Doc.....

Forgive me if I do not spell your names correctly,

• Flynny makes for TikiLee
  • Pdrake makes for Tama
  • Benz makes for QueenK
  • 8ft makes for SneakyTiki
  • Tama makes for Flynny
  • Hewey makes for SCTikishack
  • Mieko makes for 8ft
  • SurfTiki makes for Fballs
  • Aloha Station makes for WPlugger
  • Paipo makes for SurfTiki
  • Clydesdale makes for Benz
  • Alien makes for Hewey
  • WPlugger makes for Meiko
  • QueenK makes for Paipo
  • TikiLee makes for Pdrake
  • SCTikishack makes for Clydesdale
  • SneakyTiki makes for Aloha Station
  • Fballs makes for Alien

-Gman

TL

Well, I finally finished my project. And like PDrake told me, these Moais ARE deceptively difficult to carve. They are also very difficult to photograph properly...

Here it is:

I went for the Natural, "Cubist-Movement" look. It took me all week...

O.k., April Fool's was LAST week (I'm always late for everything!).

Here's the finished version:

It's done in the classic Witco style ala Bosko, Keigs, and now, (dare I say it?) Me! :P

It measures about 24" tall and 8" wide, and started out as a 2" thick by 10" wide slab of Douglas Fir. It's almost impossible to find a big piece of Redwood or Cedar here in Vegas, so my pals SuzannaAnna and Mykl turned me on to the Doug Fir. It's a really hard wood, and pretty difficult to carve and burn, but the grain structure, as you can see, is fantastic. It's worth the extra effort.

By the way, whoever "wins" this better be appreciative! I almost got KILLED making it- really! My angle grinder, for some reason, caught a tough bit of wood or something and literally in a split-millisecond, leapt out of my hands and into my stomach! Thank God that my T-shirt was thick enough to bind up the spinning blades before they could rip into my flesh. The angle grinder was twisted up in my shirt, with the back-end & cord flopping around before I had even a slightest chance to react and turn it off. Scared the f-ing SH*T outta me! And, ruined one of my favorite shirts...

I'm gonna have to send Lux and Ivy a "Thank You" card! Anyone know their address? :wink:

PLEASE NOTE: The following are the ravings of a Near-Death experience survivor. Please forgive me for derailing this thread.

I think I'm gonna start making more tikis myself and selling them in my shops. That unexpected sale in San Diego kinda turned on the self-confidence button and I've been getting kinda excited to give it a shot. I have a couple that I've done so far...

My first attempt at a big one. This guy is Doug Fir, 3' tall by 12" wide.

Redwood; 6" wide by 8" long.

Gee, is it actually possible that there could soon be a "Tiki Lee's Carving Thread?" Never in 1000 years would I have thought it could happen. But all you great folks on T.C., teachers and constructive-criticisers alike, have made it a near-possibility.

Mahaloz PLENNY!!!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2007 8:34 PM

Man, sorry about the premature post folks. I've been off for the last few days and thought this was Saturday night. Guess not. I wanted you each to have enough time Sunday to coordinate your swap and get addresses for Monday. I guess you will have plenny of time now, eh?

I hope this doesn't cause you any trouble.

-Gman

ST

Thanks for your support on this GMan. Hope you participate next time. Your latest piece is probably the baddest ass thing I have seen on here, and that is saying something since there are some SERIOUS artists up in this joint.

I also hope that another swap gets organized. This one finally got me off my ass and made me create something instead of being a sideline observer. I just hope that my swapee likes it.

F
flynny posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2007 9:51 PM

Echo Surf Tiki. Cheers GMan, thanks for taking the time out to do the draw, you don't fancy entering the big guy into the next swap????? guess not.
Tama, how weird is that, I'm stoked to think that i will have 2 pieces from one of NZ finest Greenstone carvers.
I've just looked at the pairings, there are some great draws, let's have some pics of the finished pieces.
Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-04-06 21:59 ]

On 2007-03-23 21:35, pdrake wrote:
i've decided to offer a free carving lesson to anyone in the southern hemisphere. just pay shipping.

Does this mean I have to ship you out here or can I shout myself a trip to Las Vegas..? Hmmmm, Im thinking it might be cheaper if you come here - less 'entertainment' to distract & rob me of my hard-earned! :lol:

Flynny: Such is the way of the Force... Hold onto your handpiece; Im not quite finished yet as I thought we (NZ) was 3-4days ahead of the rest of the world. I will be working on it tonight & tommorrow night & should have it posted by Sunday evening US-time (posted as in a photo; not posted in the post... ) *Hope you like it. He's a bit more Tamafied than I had planned, but then I never really had a plan. :lol:

*Cant wait to see all the finished work.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!! (Jesus/E.Bunny: thanks for the holiday!) :wink:

TamaTT :)

Happy Easter Island, Passover, Vernal Equinox an' allz dat!

ST

On 2007-03-06 15:59, pdrake wrote:
how's this?

*Couldnt resist going back to see what you've been working on Pdrake; did you go with this in the end..?

P

yes, it looks very, very much like the pic. just a bit of sanding left.

wow, i get to save on shipping.

it's 3 1/2" tall. i'll post a pic tomorrow.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-04-07 00:22 ]

TikiLee. I'm glad u survived your angle grinder. My saw tried to take a couplah fingers off whilt doing some mundane cutting the other day. Yikes. The Leewitco's are fantastic. The new Moai is your best yet I'd say.

Iorana,
ST

TL

Hey Perry,

Looks like I get to save 100% on shipping! (now you'll HAVE to call me back. Ha!)

Ya know what's ironic is that after the other day at your work, I bet you'll find a whole bunch of stuff that looks just like what I made ya! (inside joke, folks. Sorry!)

Call me, dude!

TL

T'anks Sneaky! I definately spent three-times as much time and effort on it than my previous attempts.

I really like your paintings too, by the way. If you ever feel like sending a few down here on consignment for da shops, just lemme know!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-04-07 01:20 ]

W

wplugger makes for mieko
I had to offer up 4 things
too big,too wild,wrong theme
mieko, I'm sure you will be the
only one on your block with a
Mr. moai head
hope I got it right

I'm the new owner of that one of a kind moai pen.
aloha station gets to save on postage.
If he brings it over at happy hour he may get
a beer out of the deal.

This was fun. I had a good time.
I never do Small, it was a challenge.
Thanks to all who played.
I'd do it again sometime.

Will

[ Edited by: wplugger 2007-04-08 06:37 ]

8T

For Sneakytiki: here ya go, Idaho!
It's 3 1/2" tall with inset glass bead eyes.
Wear it in good health!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2007 11:44 PM

Well it's 6PM Easter Sunday our time, so here's what I got....I did pretty similar inlays to yours 8Ft, but I cut mine from a shell and filled the holes in with acrylic:

Surftiki, if you're reading this PM me and let me know how long you want your cord (up to 24") and where to send this guy to! I'm looking forward to seeing my piece from the Queen too - have you still got my address Amy?

F

Sweet work Paipo and 8ft, I love the eyes on both pieces. 8ft yours looks like he was worn on Easter Island, the eyes really stand out similar to the old pieces. Paipo I don't know how you always come up with something real different, bieng a young whippersnapper of a stone carver I know already even the most simplistic pieces are not easy, but you have a way of making stones look like they have always been that way, not touched by hand or tool, cool work man.
Regards
Flynny

Tiki Lee,
Thanks!!

8FT,
Drooling over the new pix, I'm stoked!

Aloha Station will get these:

You can rearrange these 3 paintings 9 or more ways when u get bored with them. L shapes, Horizontal combos etc.

Alohaz
ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 18:34 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-19 01:29 ]

Here y'are Flynny; hope you like it...

The Tamafied Moai Kava-kava. NZ pounamu & mother-of-pearl. Check PM.

Happy Easter All!!

B

WOW, I Really can't the amount of beautiful stuff here. 36 artists, swapping their art, it's Unheard of and is a Truely beautiful thing to be part of. This art just blows me away, but what is really More fantastic is that everyone involved is giving so freely of themselves and their art. True Aloha if there ever was any! BEautiful stuff Everyone. Said as I shed a tear of joy!
HappyHappyHappy
JoyJoy

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 9:11 PM

Flynny, thanks for the nice comments.
I think the theme was a great success - how cool is it to see all these moai kavakava interpretations? I haven't seen them done before on TC (not in the carving forum at least) and I'm inspired to try one myself now!
I would also agree with Benz about the enjoyment of participating in something like this. Unfortunately we can't all be at an Oki-Oki, Chop-chop or CoonTiki, so it's nice to have something that isn't restricted by location. When's the next one ? :)

M
mieko posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 11:01 PM

8FT Tiki - here he is, all finished up. The topcoat really brought out the color in the mahogany. :)
I was planning on drilling him for a pendant, but now I can't decide if I like it facing front or to the side, or not a pendant at all. :) Let me know which you would like. :)

F

Tama, Yep I certainly like, as you know I'm a big fan of yours and also the Greenstone so to get both in one swap, utopia.

Paipo, Benz and all you guys and gals, I too think the Swap thread has been a resounding success, people taking on a subject completely different to their normal stuff, we've had beautiful carvings in wood, Lava!!, stone, bone, alabaster and paintings, wow.

Guys who do this for a living and amateurs picking up carving tools they've not used in ages, I've really enjoyed the whole thread, I've certainly learned loads.

The thought of all this art whizzing around the Globe over the coming days and weeks is awsome.

As for the next Swap thread, it's probably better to let the dust settle on this one first, what do you guys think, as for me I'd be up for it tommorrow, who knows what the next subject could be.

I also think the swap thread should be in the General Creating thread, because I'd love to see some of the great painters we have join up. This was my fault guys.
In general a big thanks to everyone who supported the thread and to GMan who did the draw, I'm sure we will have to look for someone new to draw next time, G you up for the next swap????

The finest West Country regards to all swappers.
Flynny

On 2007-04-08 18:57, Benzart wrote:
WOW, I Really can't the amount of beautiful stuff here. 36 artists, swapping their art, it's Unheard of and is a Truely beautiful thing to be part of. This art just blows me away, but what is really More fantastic is that everyone involved is giving so freely of themselves and their art. True Aloha if there ever was any! BEautiful stuff Everyone. Said as I shed a tear of joy!
HappyHappyHappy
JoyJoy

I totally agree! and I am thrilled to get a "benz" I would have been happy with any of the terrific pieces I saw in this thread. This was an amazing swap, congrats to all who participated!!!!

Paipo, I hope you like it, might have to give it another pass before I send :wink:
Amy

F

Queen K
I was dreading getting Paipo, Benz or Tama to recieve my piece cos there just so good, but I'm sure Paipo will love the piece, at the rate your advancing he's going to own an early piece from a potential master. You take on complex pieces straight out of the starting blocks not just one but several, I know it leaves me and other amateur stoners in awe and pushing ourselves to take on more complex stuff (check out Perry's thread)
Keep up the great work Amy
Regards
Flynny

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies