Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Swap - 4/7 Draw Completed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

F
flynny posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 1:52 AM

Hi Tama
Why not for those who want to post project pics, but I think we should keep the pics a reasonable size for bandwidth purposes.
I guess you might get some Pm's re my project as I am going to attempt something in jade, a bit ambitious for me.
Best Regards
Flynny

B

IN reguards to keeping pic's small, (If you have Windows XP and other versions probably as well) When you select your file from the "Browse" command in your TC post, once it is selected(the pic) if you right click on it BEFORE the final click to send it into TC, you will get a sub menu that includes a choice of "Resize pictures". If you click on that, you get the resize menu. Click on advanced at the bottom and Select "Make pictures Smaller but not larger" and click OK, and THEN click save to send it on to TC.
Make Smaller but Not Larger??? That is Microsoft-speak which means the Dimensions of the picture will be the same, BUT the file will be compressed and will take up MUCH Less space. You will Feel the difference when you click "submit" and the picture loads in about 2 seconds instead of 2 minutes.
IF you already know about this, then I apologize for taking up the space. If you don't then I will have Saved space.
Thanks

F
flynny posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 5:55 AM

Excellent stuff Benz, that should help us all, good luck
Regards
Flynny

ST

To be honest I am a little sketched out being in on this. I do not really consider myself to be much of an artist, especially compared to the other participants. Soo... when I am done, if my piece sucks, either by my own judgment or by others when I post it, I have no problem ending up as a bystander. I'd hate to trade something bad for something great. Sure, it would work out well for me, but not for whomever received it.

M
mieko posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 3:00 PM

Hey Surf Tiki, I'm pretty petrified myself. One thing I like about the carve first, pick later option is that if something happens and I can't do something I'm proud of, I think it would give me a chance to bow out if I had to. Hopefully I won't feel that I need to, and this will be an exciting challenge for us. :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 3:43 PM

Guys, take it as a personal challenge to create the best piece you've ever made! Its amazing the development in your skills that comes from a little pressure to make sure you produce some quality work like the swap does.

yeh, Im a glass half full kinda guy... :)

A

Looks like a winning team. I'd like to be involved. If you all don't mind?

F

Duly added Alien
Regards
Flynny

W

I'd like to play too, if there's still room.
Will

F
flynny posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 1:08 PM

Welcome to the swap W, I'll add your name to the list.
Regards
Flynny

Let's get this party started!

Im afraid my brain has bulges in funny places which means Im ok at some things but other things just have no room in there. That bit about the resizing of pics is just one of those things; I tried reading the words over & over but they just go all fuzzy and start to swim... Hope this is ok; I just make 'em small on my camera before dumping them off..?

After looking through a few books & a lot of head-scratching I have decided on a Tama-fied version of a Moai Kava-kava head type thing, pendant. I have never made one of these before and only have about 6mm depth to play with - sooper sexy stone though! He is actually a bit of a mish-mash of elements from the paoa-club head/handle and from an occy-headed female Maoi paapaa (a lot like Moai Kava-kava but with a broad flat chest, and boobies), and Tama-fied as I said. (I hope those Ancients are with me on this one, gulp)
I intend to put inlays in the eyes & earlobes. Im sure there will be a bit of evolution as the piece progresses & I really have no idea of what its going to look like at this point. Knowing me I wont be able to stop myself from blocking out the profile within the next day or two but will then need to put it away for a while.

Hope you likee; someones gonna get it..?

Tama :)

F

Well mine's underway. I've browsed through the books I have and searched the net, but with the exception of the ever endearing Moai, I can't get on with some of the cadaverous figures I see, but that's me.
As you can see I've started 2 identical projects, not knowing how either will turn out. I have chosen the Birdman figure a little stylised taken from a net float found in the Solomon Isles but found throughout Rapa Nui albeit in a wierder form.
I got my last piece of Mammoth Ivory which has a flaw that might have to be pinned yet and a real nice piece of Jade from Paipo, there's a tiny flaw that I hope won't bother me (yes I've already cut and drilled the piece otherwise the pic wouldn't have been included:-) )

The wax marks are guides for the sawing that I can see, I get real twitchy whan I can't see anything through water, I guess it's just a stoner thing working blind!!
Thanks for looking, more pics soon
Regards
Flynny
Come on you swappers

F

Bloody hell Tama, I didn't notice your pic before I posted my project, that looks wicked, might revise mine to just Mammoth Ivory. Good to see your still awake :)
regards
Flynny

On 2007-03-04 00:35, flynny wrote:
Bloody hell Tama, I didn't notice your pic before I posted my project, Good to see your still awake :)

I see you felt The Force in just 46mins over in Devon young Jadi; Very good. Your power grows stronger... :lol:

T3-PO :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 2:44 AM

On 2007-03-04 00:30, flynny wrote:

Come on you swappers

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what I'm going to make, but I will probably try and find something no-one else has done (yet!). Time to haul a few books off the shelves....
I still need to finish the Easter Island piece I'm working on now!
PS nice job on the moai kavakava Mr T, I've been thinking about these guys a lot lately...

v TC Thread v

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-03-04 02:44 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 5:37 PM

Still researching at the moment, but thinking of something I havent really seen on TC yet :)

OK here's mine. What do ya think?

ST

Wow, lloks great AlohaStation. Love the angularity of it. It's so minimalist that you almost have to really pretend that its something.

On 2007-03-05 06:32, Surf tiki wrote:
Wow, lloks great AlohaStation. Love the angularity of it. It's so minimalist that you almost have to really pretend that its something.

Its a Cubist rendition of a row of Moai isnt it? -I would guess the group at Ahu Akivi at the Southern foot of Rano Aroi..? I would suggest that the largest one needs a little more definition around the chin and neck... :lol:

You mean there's a chance that one of us could actually take this home? Oh Boy, Im really excited now!

F

No, I think laid on their side, embedded in a piece of Astroturf, we have a perfect replica of the quarries the esteemed Moai were created from.
Well that's my take on it.
Regards
Flynny

Hi All, Can I still join? I have been working like a dog, so haven't posted much, but I just caught this one. Let me know, I would love to do it, thanks

Amy

F
flynny posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 1:42 PM

Queen K, you are added, good luck with your project. We are looking at finished projects by March end, followed by the draw. I'm glad youv'e joined we've now got 14 not 13, noot that I'm supersticious.
regards
Flynny

On 2007-03-05 13:42, flynny wrote:
Queen K, you are added, good luck with your project. We are looking at finished projects by March end, followed by the draw. I'm glad youv'e joined we've now got 14 not 13, noot that I'm supersticious.
regards
Flynny

Flynny, can you give me the specs? I have read the threads but am unsure of theme or size or??? thanks!

Amy

ST

Queen K,

To the best of my knowledge there is no size spec. Whatever you make you are responsible for shipping and since we have some folks from Oz and Kiwi-land that could get pricy if you go big.

As far as theme I believe that it is Rapa Nui art, your choice of subject.

On 2007-03-05 16:55, Surf tiki wrote:
Queen K,

To the best of my knowledge there is no size spec. Whatever you make you are responsible for shipping and since we have some folks from Oz and Kiwi-land that could get pricy if you go big.

As far as theme I believe that it is Rapa Nui art, your choice of subject.

Thanks!

A

Step one: Choose design, create template.
Step two: Adhere template to medium.
Step three: Cut away out line. I have no Band saw so i accomplish this by any means necessary.(numerous drill holes and coping saw)

Whoops I kinda skipped a few steps with the photos.

I'm now on step, ummmm, step whatever sanding is.

I'm thinking I'll give the recipient a couple to choose from.

Time to start another. Now for a Tukuturi Moai, Maybe.

Mahaloz

P.s I Forgot to mention. Tama, that kava head looks like it's gonna be sweet. That was my fist design choice but you beat me to the punch.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-03-06 14:26 ]

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 3:59 PM

how's this?

AT, Perry, those are cool, now I am worried..lol

Amy

F

A bit more progress on the Jade Birdman, now cut out and drilled, no real traumas yet

Here's the machine I did a lot of work on, fitted with a 3/8 inch 120grit grinding bit. On the back is a water reservoir that cools the diamond saw and lap wheel but I had to adapt something to feed the grinder.

Ta for looking more progress shots soon. I have to crack on with this as I have quite a few commitments in mid and late March.
Best Regards
Flynny

Some good progress happening. The Tiki-Swap lives!!

QueenK: Just in case you havent heard; the deadline is Easter, of course!

pdrake: kool, go for it!

Alien: streaking ahead & going for #2! Dont let me stop you from making a M.Kava-kava. #3?

Flynny: a dab-hand! Ka pai!

Just the profile, as predicted. Still 3-4 weeks yet; Ill treat it like an exhibition... :lol:

Anyone else made a start?

B

When is Easter??

ST

April 8th

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 5:26 PM

Suddenly my ideas are very lame :(

Great progress pics :)

hi all, ok, do a rock piece.

[ Edited by: queen kamehameha 2007-03-09 11:11 ]

deleted

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-03-09 11:13 ]

F
flynny posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 2:07 PM

Queen K, try Tama's trick when photographing Jade, try and get some WD40 vehicle spray or wet the piece before you photograph it, also backgrounds affect the pictures, try light backgrounds as well as dark.
Looking good though, there's plenty of Jade knocking about, nice to see some wood and bone also.
How's it looking PD
Regards
Flynny

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 3:13 PM

looking dark

no power at my house the last few days. had the main circuit blow. electrician was supposed to come out today. i guess i'll find out when i get home if i can work.

Hi Flynny, Thanks, I think also after thinking about it, I don't want or shouldn't do Jade, since there are so many Jade Pro's. I will do one in rock, which is what I know. Thanks for the help

Amy

F

Whoooah Amy, I hope you didn't include me, I'm definately no Jade pro. To be honest I'm in awe of the guys who work the stuff, I've had a couple of pieces Paipo sent me for a while, I've also bought a couple of other pieces, one of which was definately dodgy (that was the piece I tried making the VW logo from that snapped)all I was doing was fondling the pieces terrified of wasting them. I have used the swap to push myself into attempting what is only my fourth try with Jade, I'm fairly happy with how it's going, but I'm not there yet.
Use the swap to try something different, there's no need to abandon the work youv'e done, why not put it down for while and have a think, alternatively if your'e more comfortable with another type of rock, so be it.
Don't put yourself under any pressure. It's a fun thing.
Best Regards
Flynny

Thanks Flynny, but There are many doing Jade and as I read, many do other mediums well, I thought about this and I do rock good for a beginner, I have not found Jade easy, so I think doing a cool rock thing for the swap will make someone more happy then my attempt at a first time thing....lol

No problem here, this swap is motivating me to try new stuff and push my limit

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-03-12 11:16 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-03-12 11:16 ]

ST

Got my piece cut out and amazingly it doesn't suck. In fact I'm feeling pretty good about it and wondering why I have been procrastinating about actually making something for so long.

Sorry folks, but no exotic beautiful materials here. In sticking with my habit of recycling stuff I found a decent piece of oak in my garage that looks like it was a table top or something once upon a time. Some rough standing, lots of doodling and erasing and 20 minutes on the scroll saw and I'm on my way.

I'll see about posting some pics tomorrow.

ST

Need to clarify something. Are the stone "hats" on the moais a redish color? I sometimes question to color resolution on this monitor.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 3:26 PM

On 2007-03-10 15:20, Surf tiki wrote:
Need to clarify something. Are the stone "hats" on the moais a redish color? I sometimes question to color resolution on this monitor.

Like a red ochre kinda colour.

I started another. Still not finished with the first Moai (needs more sanding and finishing).
So today I decided to carve outside on the lanai.

It's usually nice weather but today it was cloudy. This cardinal came and sang me a song. The lyrics were about how the rain was coming.

boy was he right cause a few minutes later it started to rain.

A'Hui laters, alligators!

F

Alien that's looking real cool
Regards
Flynny

W

OK Swappers, Let's see if I'm on track here.
In keeping with the theme I thought
I'd offer up this
Old School Moai

Then I thought may be this
Haiball Mask

Would be better.

Soooo , to make the choice EZ for me
You choose.
They are both 4 ft tall & heavy.
I could hollow out the back of the moai or
grind the mask thinner,
Would 20 lbs shipping to NZ. or UK. be
cost prohibitive ???
Will

ST

Having looked up the shipping rates for a small parcel to NZ and OZ, I would say that 20# would cost a small fortune. You can go to USPS.gov and actually look it up if you want.

Thanks for the kind words Flynny.

In regards to shipping, as I understand it. The artist/swapper pays to ship his piece to the recipient.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies