Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Swap - 4/7 Draw Completed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies

F

Alien
Yes, the Maker posts to the recipient, although in Wplugger's case that could get a bit expensive.
Regards
Flynny

F

Bit more work on the Mammoth birdman, cut out and sanded on the face, drilled and fitted the Paua and Jade eye also sealing wax detail (not sure whether the wax is the right stuff, keeps falling out!!)

This guys a happy guy, cos he's found an egg (freshwater pearl).

He's only mocked up at the moment, there's loads more to do.
Regards
Flynny

W

Well, I looked it up. If I read right Fl. to NZ.
airmail parcel post would be around 120.00
lots of rules & regulations UK is cheaper
http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclnr_007.html

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 1:45 PM

Knowing our governnment's extreme border control attitude I think you'd have a hard time even getting a rootball into NZ, which is a damn shame because that's a real nice piece!

ST

Here's what I've done so far, needs some more sanding and then the stain. Please feel free to critique, this is my very first tiki art piece. Actually, it probably counts as the first art I've made since 10th grade, I think Reagan was in office then.

B

MAn, Some Excellent stuf coming up to swap, I guess I better get Busy..

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 3:27 PM

Well I’ve completely changed my mind on what I want to do. Now I want to do a lava moai. Basically make a guy like this:

Look like this

Hey there!

Any chance that a late-commer could join this shin-dig? I know it's kinda late in the game, but I think I could carve up something that would (hopefully) be worthy of da rest of ya.

Please lemme know...

-haloz!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-03-12 21:25 ]

F

Tiki L, I will add you to the list, welcome to the swaporama

Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-03-13 00:21 ]

8T

Lee, get busy!

Anyone here wanna do my taxes while I carve???
And do them right!!!

Flynny,

Would you be so kind as to add me to your list?
I have been secretly making a project for this swap late at night in my granny unit.
It is always great to have work from other artists adorning my dwelling.
Especially when friends tell me "that one is cool, did you make it"? and I have to say no.

Will
SCTikis

F

SC, I'll add you to the list, can't wait to see the secret project????
Regards
Flynny

T

Sweet! Nice work Flynny!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 4:16 PM

Here’s my progress for the carving swap tiki. Nice fat and smooth moai.

So, to make it look like he’s made of lava, I carve in grooves. I will paint the whole thing bright red, then paint the flat sections black so the cracks stay red. Still not sure if it will work yet!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2007 1:53 AM

5 days? What's going on?
Hybrid of a paoa club (similar to a Maori mere) and some of the cave stones from Thor Heyerdahl's Art of Easter Island book:

F

Paipo

Sweet as ever.

Regards
Flynny

Ok, so when we are done, where do we send the pieces? did I miss this? Thanks

Amy

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2007 1:44 PM

Amy, I think when we're all done we post em up, GMAN will make the draw from the finished participants, and they can then PM each other their details? Flynny?
Unfortunately I've gotta go away again for a couple of days - I was hoping to have mine finished (there's still LOTS to do) but it will have to wait until the weekend. I will save the finished pics for the final deadline perhaps....

B

Whenz the Deadline?

this is a cool idea, congrats to all of you! I would play too but I'm all
thumbs and can only carve big chunks that are too heavy to ship. excuses excuses!
Nice idea and good to see such a nice response.

F

Hi Guys
We set the deadline for finished projects by Easter (as the projects were Easter Island flavoured)
GMAN has volunteered to do the draw following which we exchange PM's for addresses then send your project to whoever has drawn you.
Regards
Flynny

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 21, 2007 4:08 PM

Here’s the update on my carving swap piece. Gave him a coat of red.

Then detailed him with some black. Looks cool, but I was hoping for more ‘pop’ from the red. If I do it again I will use bright burnt orange. Reckon it would look sweet under a black light though.

Thats me done! Postage will be a bitch, but I wanted to get something in :D

F

That is one wicked finish.
Regards
Flynny

That does look awesome...kinda like lava breaking open....very nice!!!

Aloha swappers!

only a little more than 2 weeks left! How's everyone coming along?

Paipo; I've seen pictures of that club and it looks like you're doing a great job of recreating it in stone.

Here's the last progress shots I'll post, Promise.

I have quite a bit more work to do on both of these. The one on top is closer to being ready for finish.

Mahalo
E

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 23, 2007 6:38 PM

Damn Alien, I love your worx. Those pieces are smokin'. Make sure you show us the final pieces before you send it to your swap partner.

-G

F

Both nice pieces Alien, I'd be real happy to give one a home. I've got some final sanding, a bit of glueing and binding to do before finish.
Best Regards
Flynny

P

i've decided to offer a free carving lesson to anyone in the southern hemisphere. just pay shipping.

B

beautiful work alien, beautiful.

Ok, here is my finished Manaia piece for the swap. Its made of greenish river rock, and I used black braided cord with a river pebble as the toggle. I am still touching up a bit and hoping not to ruin it, Hope you like it I am still very new to this.

Everyone is doing such great stuff, Thank you for letting me enter.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-03-24 13:33 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-03-24 14:16 ]

Holy cow that Manaia is cool Queenie, Great job. I cant speak for everybody but I for one would be stoked to receive it.

Thanks benella, I appreciate the kind words.

Flynny your no slouch yourself and I would be equally as happy to give your bird-man a home.

Mahalos GMAN! I will most definitely show the finished work.

ST

Well, here is what I'm thinking is my finished product. I'm pretty happy with it but as I have previously mentioned, since I am not sure that I can measure up to a lot of the other artists in the swap you may vote me off the island if that is the consensus. I have a picture hanger to put on the back if the recipient wants one.

[ Edited by: Surf Tiki 2007-03-25 20:37 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2007 7:31 PM

Some really nice pieces being made :D

There is some cool stuff in here. Here is my submission to the swap. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is - I would have to guess Cherry. Carved like butter and is very light. I will have more photos and info on my thread tonight. Thanks for looking.

Wow, that's super bad ass.

F

Aloah, that is a wicked piece man, I'm sure everyone is clearing a place on their desks in anticipation. I'm struggling with a frozen shoulder right now but I've not got much more to do.
Regards
Flynny

W

Swappers, since plan A & B may not be the right thing I'm
changing gears.
I promised someone I'd embrace my hook blade so I tore
a page from his book & had at it.
Some stain & poli. & he should be a budget traveler.
Plan C [Beer not included]

F

W He's looking real cool. Dam there's some nice stuff on the swap. Bit cheaper on the postage too :)
Regards
Flynny

Here is my addition to the tiki swap. It is made out of Mozart Pink Alabaster. I decided to go with an Easter Island theme since that is what most of you are doing.

For whoever gets it, it would make a killer window hanging since it is semi-transparent.

All it needs is a little more poishing and it will be done.

Enjoy,
Will

P

Here is my addition to the tiki swap. It is made out of Mozart Pink Alabaster. I decided to go with an Easter Island theme since that is what most of you are doing.

that was the theme set at the beginning. you decided correctly.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 8:45 PM

Some really cool stuff being produce - cant wait for the draw :D

B

Well Darnnn, There's some Really nice stuff being posted here, I better get my butt in gear.

I will out of touch for the next week, so if there are any developments - count me in.

F

Hi Guys n Gals

Here's my entry to the swap, .
Birdman with egg, and lil Moai to keep him company. Mammoth Ivory, Jade, Paua, Freshwater Pearl and Beef Bone toggle, hand plaited cord.
Hope you like and so does the prospective new owner.

It looks a little uneven on the bottom, I decided to leave a little bark showing.
Cheers all
Flynny

W

Flynny, Very original , well executed, I'd be pleased to
have it if I were that lucky
Will

I know my art is "other crafts", but would like in if there is interest in these:

If anyone already participating would not be interested please PM me and I'll remove my name from the list, no problem.

The pieces are on 2" deep canvases and are black on the sides so they don't require framing but could be if that's your preference. Acrylic and oil.

Mahalo, looking good people!

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-31 04:45 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-02 03:08 ]

W

OK. Swoppers, So plan C fell a lil short being
out of theme. so, here comes plan D.
Mr. Moai Head

A budget traveler & in theme.
Why didn't I think of this in the first place ?

F

Hi Swaperoonies
Sneaky, I don't think anyone will have a problem with your submission to the swap, the only snag I can see, is that we will have seventeen swappers, so someone would miss out.
I'll change the title of the thread to ask for one more person to join giving us eighteen. It's short notice, but I'm sure there's someone out there who can produce something in a week. I'll add you to the list.
I think I made a mistake not putting this up in the "Creating Tiki" thread in the first place, i would gladly swap some of my work for some of the stunning artwork I see there. Maybe next time.
regards
Flynny
P.S. There's some great pieces out there already. Gman are you still cool to do the draw.

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-03-31 23:41 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 231 replies