Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

CT

With all the problems at Trader Vic's in Bellevue, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and now (possibly) Dallas, I wonder what the TV in Atlanta is doing right? They seem to have weathered every economic downturn and change in taste. And since they opened in the late 1970's, they are able to do so without relying on the glory days of the 50's and 60's. Or are they in trouble too?

G

On 2010-02-08 20:20, Const Tiki wrote:
With all the problems at Trader Vic's in Bellevue, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and now (possibly) Dallas, I wonder what the TV in Atlanta is doing right? They seem to have weathered every economic downturn and change in taste. And since they opened in the late 1970's, they are able to do so without relying on the glory days of the 50's and 60's. Or are they in trouble too?

Shhhh.... don't jinx them! The Atlanta TV is located in a hotel in downtown whose clientele are primarily business travelers and convention goers. So a lot of money flows through there. The times I've been there though were holidays and weekends and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The well-preserved decor, quality drinks and food and even appropriate music tell me that it is well managed and the management understands how all the pieces come together to form the whole experience. And they haven't messed with it.

B

I agree with Rob! I love ATL !I get there a few times a year and it is one of my Favs! The bar area is a bit small when it gets busy so I try and get there early and grab my best perch for people watching. I think it has what it takes to make it...LOCATION. I am normally attending a convention or trade show. I AM one of THOSE...Professional Conventioneers with an endless affinity and I spend my meager stimulus package at Trader Vics!

BTW.... Sorry to take him Dallas but, Thanks for Shane, He is great !

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2010-02-09 09:40 ]

On 2010-02-02 08:47, TxTikiGirl wrote:
....and when are we going to loot the place?

Good question. Any intel on a potential auction or sell-off, Kenike?

On 2010-02-09 09:38, Bohemiann wrote:
... Sorry to take him Dallas but, Thanks for Shane, He is great !

Don't apologize, Bohemiann... glad he's doing good for someone...

Someone just posted on TV Dallas' Facebook page:
"They are closed for good, spoke with a waiter who used to work there!!! Interesting story, very sad news!"

Of course, "a waiter who used to work there" may not be the ultimate authority, but it sounds in line with our suspicions. Not sure if there's more to that "interesting story", beyond what we all ready know.

Waiting on Kenike to post what he's found out... but he's probably too busy loading up a U-Haul with stuff he bought at an auction that he forgot to mention :wink:

...or, from a big dumpster outside a remodeling job :o

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 3:32 PM

On 2010-02-09 14:05, Austin_Tiki wrote:

On 2010-02-02 08:47, TxTikiGirl wrote:
....and when are we going to loot the place?

Good question. Any intel on a potential auction or sell-off, Kenike?

On 2010-02-09 14:29, Limbo Lizard wrote:

Someone just posted on TV Dallas' Facebook page:
"They are closed for good, spoke with a waiter who used to work there!!! Interesting story, very sad news!"

Of course, "a waiter who used to work there" may not be the ultimate authority, but it sounds in line with our suspicions. Not sure if there's more to that "interesting story", beyond what we all ready know.

Waiting on Kenike to post what he's found out... but he's probably too busy loading up a U-Haul with stuff he bought at an auction that he forgot to mention :wink:

...or, from a big dumpster outside a remodeling job :o

Ha ha ...yeah I wish.

Ok here's the news...I was about to post some info anyway...

They're closed and they're not coming back. I didn't want to be the one give the "official" word here or on FB because I've been waiting for someone from Dallas TV to "officially" deliver that news. They never did and now it's out there anyway so...done.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-02-22 13:45 ]

R

Kenike,

So sorry to hear that Dallas Vic's is closing their doors...again. Well at least I spent one hell of a weekend there with the Tejas Ohana. Mahalo for the memories!

BB

Thank you Kenike and to all the Texas Tikiphiles for helping it stay open as long as it did. You guys really bent over backwards doing the right thing. Even though I never made it I knew that if I ever did it would be much better if you guys were there at the same time.

Well put, Boris. That is so sad. After such a classic history: Went down as Tiki Style went down, but was preserved in a time warp as a religious cult took over the building...then rediscovered by the Tiki revival, a shining example of a classic Tiki haven...which turned out to be too esoteric for the restaurant going public, especially in a time of economic woes.
And I have never been! Rats!

That fashion catalogue spread ist still some of the best contemporary Tiki Lounge photography I ever saw. Thank you Kenike for all your work, you really maneuvered the slings and arrows (errors?) wisely and with exemplary patience!
(And thank you for those cool Molokai Mike glasses (and the x-tra!). I asked mix master Berry, and he did not think much of that cocktail, but noted that the Kon-Tiki's RAIN KILLER in Sippin Safari page 128/129 is also at home in that glass.)

And all this in post-BOT times! Sigh...I have to face the fact that though my work has effected some reprieve for battered classic Tiki temples, it often is borrowed time only, with the historic Vic's of Chicago and Beverly Hills and now Dallas going down.

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 7:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. As I stated a few posts back, the Dallas closing was much anticipated, so by the time they closed for real I was already thinking about ways I can help preserve it's memory.

The Texas and Dallas tikiphiles deserve a round of applause for supporting this TV's even during the "bad food and disco" months. The old adage "support your local tiki bar" comes to mind. I think we did as much as we could.

The fashion catalog spread Bigbro mentioned can be found here.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-06-25 15:20 ]

UJ

I'm speechless. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean, I knew it would come the day this would happen, but I thought it would after "one more round" of the Texas tikiphile gathering. I'm stunned. I think it's time for some of the good rum (wink-wink). I want the others to know that even though TV is gone, it doesn't mean we still can't gather.

UJ

I do want to thank Kenike for all of his hard work over the years not in just archiving everything, but also doing an awesome job at coordinating our gatherings. Many Mahalos to you brother. I need to make a "Kenike" drink to go in the Halinekonu Hideaway.

Awful news on the closing. TV's was a little piece of heaven.

Now where am I supposed to have my birthday dinner? This is so sad...

On 2010-02-09 15:32, Kenike wrote:
"... because there is currently no one taking over the space just yet, they're not in any hurry to gut the place."

What if...
I know it's just a dream, but what if...
... because of the rotten economy, no one has any interest in putting money into a new restaurant in that space. Then, before they gut Vic's, the whole development, hotel and all, succumbs to the economy, and closes. Then a wealthy cult buys everything... and we wait.

Genius. It would be Tiki re-evolution! Like putting the time machine into reverse! By the time it re-opens (around 2030) there will be a "Mad Men" revival, and all the customers are going to wear 60s outfits, and Trader Vic will awake from his Cryonic sleep and.....wait, that was Walt Disney...damn.

K

Great one, Brian. Maybe the Maharishi can buy it back cheap!

R

I know you told us so but I can't believe it anyway. I am crying now.
Suzanne

Of course, there's always Plan B:

All you Texas Tikiphiles, buy a ticket - $27.4 million cash. If one of us wins, buy the interior, lock, stock, and barrel. Build a replica TV lounge in your new house (minus the video screens). Then - this is the important part - extend an open invitation to the rest of us.

G

On 2010-02-11 10:13, TxTikiGirl wrote:
Now where am I supposed to have my birthday dinner? This is so sad...

I'm in the same boat, have gift certificates set aside for a 2/20 party that will never come to pass now...

-CP

T

I just found out that Trader Vic's is closed... thanks for letting us know. I am so totally bummed out. It was my favorite restaurant and now where am I going to go for Valentine's Day, my birthday, Mother's Day, anniversary, the full moon, and every other excuse I could think of? Bummer. I think it was probably just too unique for Dallas. In Dallas, the wealthy build pseudo- Italian or French villas instead of something more fitting the landscape and fill them with oil paintings of European street scenes....

![](http://i42.tinypic.com/9gvi87.gif[/IMG} [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/9gvi87.gif)

[ Edited by: TxBwana 2010-02-14 09:35 ]

genmgr & TxBwana, welcome to Tiki central!

I was going to get some gift certificates myself, good thing huh. Too bad they weren't good for the booze. :)

I was hoping to secure the private room for my birthday for September. Man, I wonder if I could afford the booth I always sat at.

Aloha!

I have been scouring the web for articles related to Trader Vics. I have booked the restraurant for my Rehearsal Dinner on April the 23rd and have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone have any contact information that might help me find out how to get my money returned or know of anyone that might know where to start?

On 2010-02-15 13:22, Chrisburkley wrote:
I have been scouring the web for articles related to Trader Vics. I have booked the restraurant for my Rehearsal Dinner on April the 23rd and have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone have any contact information that might help me find out how to get my money returned or know of anyone that might know where to start?

Have you tried the Northern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court?

In all seriousness, good luck getting your money back. Try contacting Kenike. He's the man with connections to Vic's management, and might be able to point you in the right direction.

[ Edited by: Austin_Tiki 2010-02-15 14:06 ]

"[I] have already paid a $1300 deposit. Does anyone [know] how to get my money returned...?"

Trader Vic's:
"In lieu of cash, we are returning your deposit in the form of these two beautiful entry doors."

Sorry to hear they've thrown your plans off kilter, even if you get your deposit back. I don't think they've actually gone bankrupt; I think it's that they lose money more slowly closed, than open. But Austin_Tiki's right, send a message to Kenike, and see if he can give you an idea of where to start.

K

I sent him a PM...

And I'm sure he's not the only one. Office parties and wedding receptions are booked months and months in advance.

There are a few mentions on FB about items people won but never received, unused gift certificates, and you can STILL buy gift certificates here.

I did try to book reservations but was unsuccessful. :lol:

I was there today and noticed someone taped this to the front gate:

Drat. Here I sit in Dallas with no Trader Vics. The last time I was here it was late getting re-opened so I couldn't go. Now it's closed.

I stopped into a place called The Cave in Arlington tonight while I was out photographing motels on Division Street...not tiki, despite the sign claiming it to be. Tuesday night I was at a concert at the House of Blues and saw a place called Tiki Bob's. My tiki sense didn't tingle, so I avoided it.

On 2010-02-25 04:39, tikijackalope wrote:
I stopped into a place called The Cave in Arlington tonight while I was out photographing motels on Division Street...not tiki, despite the sign claiming it to be. Tuesday night I was at a concert at the House of Blues and saw a place called Tiki Bob's. My tiki sense didn't tingle, so I avoided it.

The Cave, yeah it has/had tiki in the "backyard". The place is a nice dive, very rockabilly/hot rod/low-brow. But it has been a few years since I went in there. Tiki Bob's is still open?! What a dump. Yeah, don't go there. Think of it as Razoo's with a tropical twist. Jimmy Buffet would love the place. I think there are a few articles here on the board about them:

The Cave
Tiki Bob's

Yea.... when I heard the news, I didn't believe it. We went every month for drinks and every event. I'm going to miss my Mai Tai's there.

So I'm going to assume they are not auctioning off, but taking to corp? Any word?

Sean (blixathecat)

And like many people here, I bought GC's for my next party there in one month. It was fun while it lasted!

Sean (blixathecat)

K

Yayyy...retail!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering about the decor, the Trader Vic's Moving Van pulled up and relieved the space of every single vintage pole, the green ceramic tiles, several lamps and all of the vintage wall panels. Supposedly, it's all going to the new TV locations in the Middle East. However, many of those poles were custom cut for Dallas, so I think it's pretty obvious where much of this is going to end up. You west-coasters win again.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-03-28 14:16 ]

Dear Fellow Tiki Lovers,

We apologize for the lengthy silence. As you may know, earlier this year a pipe burst in our restaurant. We tried tirelessly to find a way to keep the doors open, but the cost of remodeling was just too high. We will not be reopening Trader Vic's Dallas, however, we are very excited about a new concept restaurant that will be taking over the space. For now, that is all we can share. Thank you for all the great memories at Trader Vic's Dallas!

Regarding gift cards: Any gift card for Trader Vic's Dallas (with an expiration date later than our closing date) will be honored in equal value by the new restaurant in the space.

I am checking on the status of selling decor and such right now, and will let you all know as soon as I hear back. We will also be posting updates on our Facebook fan page (link below).

Lastly, I know many of you are sad and some may even be upset with us. But please realize we too lost our beloved Trader Vic's. For us, Trader Vic's Dallas was where we worked and played. We spent our days thinking of how to run the business and improve the restaurant, and our nights drinking Mai Tai's with friends. (No no, not every night) Again, thank you all your tremendous support over the years, and of course the good times!

Cabo Wabo?

A

The drinks here were trash with a couple of exceptions, but the decor was surprisingly decent. I am not too surprised it closed.

This was pretty much the best tiki joint anyone in Dallas could ever hope to get, that is for sure. I don't think from my experience that they are too full of "the aloha spirit" around those parts (lived there for 20 years). definitely looking forward to the sale.

K

On 2010-04-19 18:01, Austin57 wrote:
I don't think from my experience that they are too full of "the aloha spirit" around those parts (lived there for 20 years). definitely looking forward to the sale.

When did you live in Dallas and when did you visit Trader Vic's? There's plenty of aloha spirit in the Dallas area as well as all over TX. I've met hordes of folks 'round these parts with a deep appreciation for tiki. The problem was that Trader Vic's flawed business model failed to reel them in, and many of those who frequented TV's were turned off by the high prices and inconsistent food. Of course, aloha spirit in N. Texas pales in comparison to tiki ground zero of So. California, but there's plenty of it here now if you know where to look.

And as far as the sale goes, there's basically no vintage left. TV corporate took it all in March....the poles, the panels the ceramic tiles, one of the bar tops and all the old monkeypod table tops. There's no mugs or bowls and very little glassware. There's a few lampshades, 2 floats and a bunch of Asiantique panels (fanged tikis). I think there's 6 Asiantique poles left but I know 3 are damaged. The big 12 foot Asiantique tiki is still out front as well as the Trader Vic's sign...why didn't corporate take THAT??

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-04-19 18:28 ]

Pictures of the items for sale from Trader Vic's Dallas have been posted to the Facebook Page. If you are interested in purchasing something, please email [email protected] with a link to the picture of the item you're interested in.

http://www.facebook.com/tradervicdallas

P
phinz posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 1:50 PM

Don't bother emailing them if you don't live in Dallas. They're not interested in shipping to anybody, even though it wouldn't cost them a dime. They cited "local interest" and the cost of shipping when we sent an email inquiring about over a dozen items. It appears they'd rather sell to people who will most likely sell this stuff on eBay in a month or so, or will sell it in their own retail shops, than those who would actually use these items in their own tiki bars and collections.

Too bad we even wasted our time.

C
Chub posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 4:29 PM

I'm curious why you say that "it wouldn't cost them a dime" to ship items? How does that work?

Maybe he was offering to cover shipping? But it does sound just a wee bit like sour grapes to me....
I have found many times that if people want their Tiki, but can't have it, things turn unpleasant. :D

In all fairness, it would have been nice for the Dallas TV folks to mention that it would be local pick up only, so out-of-towners would not waste their time viewing the slide show and writing long e-mails

P
phinz posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 5:33 PM

It doesn't cost him a thing because the buyer pays for it. It doesn't matter how much shipping is if the buyer is willing to pay for it.

And yes, it's sour grapes to some extent. Don't tell me something is available to all, waste my time and then tell me never mind.

[ Edited by: phinz 2010-06-28 17:38 ]

Aw man - some great stuff here... why didn't Dallas ship all their stuff back to the warehouse like a normal closing Trader Vic's? NOT FAIR ...just kidding :wink: Have fun Texans! Make sure to post pics of your treasures!

Trad'r Bill

L9

Well they took down the sign & large tiki out front last week, I had sent an email request asking for pricing on some of the items as requested, and have not had any reply's. I spoke to the general contractor and was told the items were being stored. I also spoke to a couple of gentlemen that apeared to be overseeing the demo and new construction; i asked them about the float lamps and other items and was told they would email interested people as instructed on the now defunct facebook page. They said that they would send out pricing or they might give the items to charity. It looks like they are going to put in a sports bar.

Has anyone heard anything or received a quote on the tiki decor?

K

Brackets is now open.

"Desecrating the space formerly occupied by Trader Vic's" (not my words)

I'm not gonna try it. You try it.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-12-10 14:35 ]

To comment on Brackets, I will paraphrase from the Pricess Bride:
"My name is RugbyMatt. You killed Trader Vics, prepare to die!"

That place looks like crap, I hope they loose a million dollars on the deal.

How ironic that thanks to some Eastern guru and his followers this original haven had survived for so many years, only to be taken down in a few by the economy and lack of interest of today's customer. I'm bummed I never got to see it.

I hate to throw stones without seeing it in person, but is there supposed to be an ironic blue collar theme to this place? After a long day repaving a parking lot, me and the guys kicked back for some ping pong and an artisanal/locally sourced/house-made/sustainable charcuterie plate.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies