Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

K

On 2009-06-19 08:42, Unkle John wrote:
So... they are now charging to get into T.V.?

Just for the hip-hop party that night. They booked the entire restaurant.

Who's going???

Hey, hey, I'm going down to Trader Vishizzle's and get me a Navy Grozizzle, beotch!

I can see it now... instead of a Scorpion Bowl, they'll serve a Schlitz Malt Liquor 40, with 4 straws.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-06-19 10:00 ]

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:39 ]

K

Just a reminder, there is a **Texas Tiki **email list that we use to alert everyone whenever there's a gathering or tiki related event anywhere in the state, including Trader Vic's. If you'd like to receive email updates please forward me your email address or send an email to [email protected]

We usually have a big yearly gathering there and I was planning on putting together smaller monthly gatherings for the locals, but lately I've had a more authentic experience in my backyard with some tiki torches.

On 2009-06-19 10:20, surfalaia wrote:
If any Dallas area tikiphiles (or aspiring rappers) want to meet for a drink next week, I'll be at the bar Tuesday night...

I intended to be there, last Tuesday, but got tied up. I'll try, again, this coming Tues. maybe along with the wife. Hope to see ya, and we can face the horror, together.

Well, I met Surfalaia in the lounge, last Tuesday... and we weren't the only people there! Pretty sparse, though.
I finally tried one of the $3 Mai Tais, and was surprised. It didn't taste weak and awful, but pretty much the same as on any other night, during happy hour. Very good deal, at that price, I thought. Had several more. Also tried the Gingered Beef and Broccoli ($16). Quite tasty, filling, and a good price. I'd be likely to eat at TV's numerous times a year, at that entree price, but only rarely, at the high $20 to $30 range. Wish they'd add maybe a spicy Thai or Indian dish for that price.

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:37 ]

On 2009-06-28 14:20, surfalaia wrote:
"...the bartender made me a drink that is not on the menu... called it a Hendrick's Special. It had Hendrick's gin, Pimm's, and muddled cucumber... it was DELICIOUS. Be sure to try it out during your next visit."

Do I get to count it as "having a salad"?

G

I'm really surprised that this place is so hot and cold. Geez, you would hope they would cling to their identity and go with it.

It's good to hear it was a slightly better experience as of late.

R

C'mon y'all get it together down there. This thread is all over the place: "it sucks, it's dead" to "food and drinks were on target".

Has the store management changed that drastically from the first year? They had a great crew when we did the first big Tejas Tikiphile gathering that I flew down for.

Granted, allowing hip-hoppers to rent the place out is a major blunder that I am sure corporate would not be happy about (can you say "negative impact to brand image"). Is it time to start e-mailing the folks in TV management yet?

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2009-07-01 14:12 ]

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 2:24 PM

On 2009-07-01 14:00, rugbymatt wrote:
C'mon y'all get it together down there. This thread is all over the place: "it sucks, it's dead" to "food and drinks were on target".

Has the store management changed that drastically from the first year? They had a great crew when we did the first big Tejas Tikiphile gathering that I flew down for.

Granted, allowing hip-hoppers to rent the place out is a major blunder that I am sure corporate would not be happy about (can you said negative impact to brand image). Is it time to start e-mailing the folks in TV management yet?

All good points...

Yes, management AND partial ownership has changed. The people with some sort of vision are long gone.

Branding is something I brought up to them before and I don't know anything about running a business. Think they'd listen to ME?

My last visit was about 2 weeks ago and the new chef and GM had just started. Hopefully the improved food will continue.

I tend to be the one bitching about Dallas TV more than anyone. I probably take it too personally. I have a very special attachment to this place and can't stand it when I see them moving in the wrong direction.

I don't like the vibe anymore. It's a beautiful place, but it's not an escape.

R

Are they still playing Gilligans Island on the TV's at the bar?

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 7:07 PM

On 2009-07-01 18:25, rugbymatt wrote:
Are they still playing Gilligans Island on the TV's at the bar?

They used to play episodes of Gilligan's Island and Hawaii 5-0 plus old Frankie & Annette movies. That ended about 6 months ago. Now it's ESPN or whatever game the Bud Lite crowd wants to watch.

On 2009-06-28 14:20, surfalaia wrote:
"...the bartender made me a drink that is not on the menu. I think she called it a Hendrick's Special. It had Hendrick's gin, Pimm's, and muddled cucumber. I'm certain there was more to it, but I had been there awhile so my memory is a bit foggy. I do remember that it was DELICIOUS. Be sure to try it out during your next visit."

I was there last Tuesday with my wife and 5 friends from our marina, and I tried one ("You mean a Hendrick's Delight?" she asked). You're right, it was great, with quite an unexpected taste, for a cocktail..., very "fresh", in a cucumber-y way. BTW, she a muddled an orange slice, peel and all, too.
I was happy to notice that the dining room was very full, that night. I asked, and the bartendress said they had a party of 70.
The lounge was about a third full, too - better than when I met you, there. And the $3 Mai Tais still tasted fine.
I'm trying to get another group from the marina to go, on Tues., the 21st. We'll see...

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-07-14 08:14 ]

K

Half price Gift Certificates for Dallas Trader Vic's:

http://wbap.incentrev.com/index.cfm?action=offer&offerid=7124

Get them while you can...they're only selling 100.

AND use them soon. Remember what happened in Bellevue?

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-07-17 04:50 ]

Okay, okay. Is the food and drinks all over the place. In a word... yes!

My wife, her brother and his wife, and I all dined tonight at the restaurant. We had a great time... despite the fact that

1. The Samoan Fog Cutter was served in a Tiki Bowl. Try picking one of those up.
  2. There were no long straws for communal drinks, hence we couldn't order communal drinks.
  3. The Chilean Sea Bass was not served in the Chinesse ovens as is traditionally done in the other restaurants.
  4. The restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup.
  5. No flaming skull drinks.

Now for the good news. The food was great and the Navy Grogs were outstanding. The ambiance is a 10. The wait staff were super friendly and the evening was a hit with everyone.

But, yes, they are having trouble getting a few things right. The manager's response to my querries was that TV wanted a little experimentation and that the ovens were too tempermental to be trusted with cooking all of the food. He said future TV's would not use the ovens at all.

The place was fairly full for a Saturday night at 8 p.m.

I'd go back in a heart beat.

Despite the traffic.

On 2009-07-16 16:57, Kenike wrote:
Half price Gift Certificates for Dallas Trader Vic's:

http://wbap.incentrev.com/index.cfm?action=offer&offerid=7124

Get them while you can...they're only selling 100.

Dang!
I got the one I ordered in the mail, and checked, yesterday to see how many more were left. About 50. Plenty of time to order more...
Didn't check my email till this afternoon, so missed the morning email announcement that they were now 1/2 of 1/2 price - $12.50 for a $50 gift cert! Of course, they're sold out.

On 2009-07-18 21:18, telescopes wrote:
"...We had a great time... despite the fact that... the restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup..."

The Bongo Bongo is back-o-back!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 11:06 ]

On 2009-08-06 11:04, Limbo Lizard wrote:

On 2009-07-18 21:18, telescopes wrote:
"...We had a great time... despite the fact that... the restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup..."

The Bongo Bongo is back-o-back!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 11:06 ]

WTF! Why, o' why now? Couldn't they have brought it back last month when I was there? That's exactly what I ordered when I visited for supper.

BTW, have they resupplied up on their mugs. I got my Samoan served in a kava bowl.

Actually, I got the news about the Bongo Bongo from their Facebook page.
After you left us, that night, we wound up talking to the accounting person. She mentioned that the B.B. soup would be back, but it might be when the weather cooled - hot soup is less desired in 100 degree weather, she reasoned. I guess they must have had enough inquiries to make them bump the schedule.
As for the mugs, I don't know if they've resupplied. Lately, I've tended to go on Tuesdays, for the $3 Mai Tais - no special mugs involved. I did notice a few Samoan Fogcutter mugs on the shelf, but these may be what they already had. Tuesdays are a slow night. Maybe their supply of 3 or 4 was exhausted, when you were there on the weekend. Funny... I'll bet many here have their home bars better stocked with Trader Vic's mugs.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 18:36 ]

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 6:44 PM

The Fogcutter mug is probably THE most stolen mug after the skull mug. I know they struggle to keep their supplies in stock and never get the quantity they order.

Well, they oughta license those mugs to Tiki Farm, and let the franchisees order from them. Bet they'd manage to fully fill each order.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 7:18 PM

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-01-22 22:31 ]

On 2009-08-06 18:25, Limbo Lizard wrote:
I'll bet many here have their home bars better stocked with Trader Vic's mugs.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 18:36 ]

If the truth be told, my home bar is fairly well stocked with TV items; however, all were purchased or given as gifts by the management. Imagine, drinking your mai tai from a rum barrel.

Honestly, though, do you think Tiki Farms could do something other than a brown glaze?

Here's a review of TV from the Weekend Guide, dated Feb. 10, 1984. Found in the library, last year... just now getting it up. Kenike, notice how much it sounds like today - problems with mug shortages, due to theft, SMU kids, etc. :down: :down:

K

On 2009-08-13 11:52, Limbo Lizard wrote: Kenike, notice how much it sounds like today - problems with mug shortages, due to theft, SMU kids, etc.

You're right...that could have been written last week.

I stopped in Tuesday night to meet Grande Kahu for a $3 mai tai and the place was HOPPIN'! The Mai Tai was recently named one of the best cocktails in DFW or something like that in the local paper. Good for them. The BEST part for me that it was so loud in the lounge I couldn't hear the music that was playing.

Oyster bar starts on Friday. I'll check it out on Saturday when I'm in for dinner.

Limbo Lizard -

That article is a gem! What struck me was how many college kids "got it" back then and knew where good drinks and good times could be found. The scorpion bowl was fun back then and it's still fun now.

I remember that the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was an "adult" and "sophisticated" evening-out back in the 1980s when I was in college. You still had to wear a suit and a tie back then and the drinks would definitely impress your dates. There was that aura of Old Hollywood about it too, and since most of my friends were trying to break into the movie business, that lent an extra cachet to the experience too.

Visited last night ($3 Mai Tais), and the lounge and - more importantly - dining area, was busy. It's "Restaurant Week", so that's responsible for some increased traffic - hopefully, they'll like it and return. But it's been steadily busier, each time I visit, lately. They finally received a fresh load of mugs and bowls, so they weren't having to ration them. They even had them for sale in the display case.
Saw the new oyster bar - quite a variety of fresh oysters, but I'm not an oyster fan, so someone else will have to provide that evaluation!
After a year of worry, I feel more confident that they'll have enough business to at least survive. Once they are financially stable and secure, we can start working on that music.
Oh, and finally tried the coconut prawn soup. Now I know why everyone raves about it!

Dallas Trader Vic's death rattle heard 8:42pm 9/12.

Went to TV last night for my birthday dinner with a party of six ( or at least tried.) This was the worst experience I have had at any TV. Had fun at the bar once we were able to maneuver away from the USC - Ohio State game. Bar was moderately full with NOBODY paying attention to the television. Why they do this on a Saturday night is beyond me. Drinks were fine. Only a few coconut mugs visible but a WHOLE lot of 75th mai tai glasses. Inventory management anyone?

The nightmare started when we moved to the dining room. They were first sold out of a couple of menu items (at 8pm Saturday?) We each ordered appetizers. Our poke was fine but one couple complained that their lobster spring roll dipping sauce had an "off" taste to it. They requested a different sauce and everything was fine. The entrees came in waves: fish first, 2 mu shu duck about five minutes later, and my new york strip MIA. They shred the duck tableside. The three with fish watched patiently for 5- 10 minutes while the server shredded the duck and their entrees cooled. I requested the others in my party to start without me. My entree arrived about 5 minutes after he was done carving the duck. I was unfortunately presented with six 1/4" disks of steak on the raw side of rare. They couldn't have spent more than 15 seconds per side on the grill. In fact, I don't even think it was the right entree. It looked like a butterflied filet. The waiter assured me that it was the new york strip and took it back to be corrected. After another 5 -10 minutes, the waiter returned with a plate of the same disks cooked to a solid gray (well done?) with the sides and presentation gone. The meat was so tough at this point it was difficult to cut with the steak knife. The rest of the party had finished their entrees by this time. To his credit, the floor manager spotted the presentation as he walked by our table, insisting he take the plate away and offered to give me a "quick" stir fry as replacement. He said, "at least you will have something to eat." Not a lot of fun having 5 people finished with their meal watching you eat yours. I rushed to eat some of it before the desserts arrived. (The waiter had taken orders before the stir fry.) My sister-in-law's brownie was so hard that she couldn't cut it with a knife and fork. Google Dallas Trader Vic's and you will find a similar comment on Tripadvisor from August.

What happened? I have always had good experiences in the twenty or so times I have dined here in the past. Is it cost cutting? Most restaurants are on their A game Saturday nights. The dining room was maybe half full. I wonder how many other diners will never go back because of a similar experience. The bar is fine - stay there and stick with the appetizers. I don't know how this place can survive. The kitchen is killing it. I can't in good conscience recommend this place anymore.

Congrats on your b-day! Mine was the 11th.

Man, I'm sorry to have heard about this experience. I was thinking that IF they are open next year I might have a small gathering on my 35th at TV and attempt to secure the private room. But if this is going to turn into a trend, I'll be disappointed at such a great place falling so fast. Hopefully this is was due to a bad cook/staff.

Hopefully if enough people bring that to their attention, they will do something about it.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2009-09-14 08:13 ]

Well, I guess the only consistent thing is their inconsistency! Crappy, one night, then fine, a few days later.
We went, last night, for $3 Mai Tais and dinner (we ate in the lounge).
We checked out the latest iteration of the bar food menu, then ordered from the regular dinner menu. Monica had the filet mignon, and thought it one of the best she's had, anywhere. I had Gingered Beef - good every time I've had it, and it was again. Mai Tais also good. Music was decent - lounge-y jazz, not too loud. Overall, a great evening for us.
Of note on the current bar food menu: the Trader Vic's Burger, and Fish and Chips. Also, noticed about 8 or 10 coconut mugs on the shelves.

K

On 2009-09-16 16:11, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Music was decent - lounge-y jazz, not too loud.

Lounge/jazz would be a huge improvement if they'd stick with it. Last time I was there I told mgt. that I had to go "because of Funky Town..." no lie.

I tried the Fish-n-Chips...meh.

K

Stopped by Vic's Crab Shack & Sports Bar last night. It was PACKED early on for some political fundraiser but we managed to score a table.

Drinks were WAY off for some reason, couldn't see who was making them because they were so busy. Next time it's that busy I'll just stick with mai tai's. Appetizers were great.

Music: "Guns And Bombs" by Buju Banton, "I'll Be There" by Emma, plenty o' disco...you get the picture. They have the music running off a laptop now that runs some pre-programmed playlists. Jason (mgr) asked me to provide a CD of some appropriate Trader Vic's music which I am more than happy to do.

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-09-27 22:46 ]

K

Well they can't ever use the excuse "we don't have it" if you ask them to play some Exotica/Hawaiian music. They now have 175 songs.

Grande Kahu and I stopped in last night and food and drinks were good. Music was reggae. (???)

Kenike, did you include Don Ho's cover of "Funky Town"?
I'm going tonight for $3 Mai Tais... I'm interested to see (er, hear) if your music contribution is evident.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-09-29 14:42 ]

My report for last Tuesday, in the TV lounge: No reggae. No Margaritaville. No Urban. No disco. Just Hawaiian and Exotica. They're using your stuff, Kenike!
Jason wasn't there, but I told the hostess I "really liked the new music - fits the atmosphere, more". She thanked me, and said she'd pass that on to the manager. The bartender said he thought it was more in tune with the whole concept, too.

Well, I finally broke down and tried the Trader Vic's burger - actually, ordered it split, and shared it with my wife. Very good, I must say. Monica (who's less hesitant about using superlatives) said she thinks it was the best burger she's ever had.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Oct 1, 2009 2:31 PM

On 2009-10-01 14:24, Limbo Lizard wrote:
My report for last Tuesday, in the TV lounge: No reggae. No Margaritaville. No Urban. No disco. Just Hawaiian and Exotica. They're using your stuff, Kenike!
Jason wasn't there, but I told the hostess I "really liked the new music - fits the atmosphere, more". She thanked me, and said she'd pass that on to the manager. The bartender said he thought it was more in tune with the whole concept, too.

Whaa??

This is the TV in DALLAS you went to, right?

I have to say I'm quite stunned. I was pretty sure it would end up a coaster like the other CD's I've given them.

GK

Yeah! Excellent news! And a damn fine CD you wrought Kenike!

GK

Rats! We won a music battle, a couple weeks ago, but the struggle goes on...
Monica and I went again, this last Tuesday. Possibly noteworthy: This time, manager Jason was there.
And,... we were back to Rasta Vic's Parrothead Lounge.
(Sigh)

I'm meeting up with a friend and Kenike after 5 p.m. today at TV's, so any TC'ers in the area are welcome to join in for a libation or three!

GK

K

I must say things are looking up...

The deal with the music is they play the Hawaiian/Exotica mix during what's considered "prime time." When the late-nite SMU unappreciative Raspberry Mohito drinkers storm the place (usually after 10:30), they switch over to the roller disco schlock. I'm usually gone by then anyway...that's long after happy hour. This all went into affect after Limbo Lizard's last visit. Having appropriate music really made a world of difference.

BUT...

Sports still on TV and the sports bar next door has closed. Can't use that excuse anymore...(why have sports on when there's a sports bar next door??)

No bad food experiences to report, and the drinks...I only had two Zombies and a Mai Tai last night and they were fine.

They're once again serving brunch on Sundays. This time it's REAL brunch..not just a scaled down version of the dinner menu. Entrees include selections like Eggs Benedict, Filet Mignon & eggs, Creme Brulee French Toast, Trader's Lox & Bagel, Seared Ahi BLT, tomato bisque... Haven't tried any of it yet though.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-10-11 18:17 ]

H

I'm still boycotting based on my experience three weeks ago (see previous.) The Manager did pass on my written complaint to the chef. He offered one free appetizer and dessert and to "personally prepare" my paid entrees the next time I come to make up for the lousy $700 birthday meal they gave our party. The scary part of his response was that he witnessed the raw steak but didn't re-fire or check it before it went out the SECOND time. He also stated that he was aware of dessert's problem and was in the process of changing the recipe. Why leave bad items on the menu and why not exercise some quality control?

The last time Ms. Austin_Tiki and I hit up TVs, it was insanely busy. That was about 2-3 months ago, on a Saturday night. Our party snagged the last handful of chairs in Hinky Dink's. It was that way from the time we got there (about 8 pm) until we left (after midnight). The music wasn't great, but for the most part the patrons were enjoying drinks and conversation, not the flat screens (which are really too few and too small to draw a purpose-minded sports bar crowd).

The drinks were excellent, although the Navy Grog was slightly watery. The service was inattentive, however. We did manage to turn a DFW-area couple onto the place, and they've been back several times since our last visit.

It sounds like business is picking up, which I'm glad to hear. I appreciate the push for some authentic exotica, even if it only happens during specific time slots. If that time slot becomes a peak business hour, it will push management to expand it and maybe one day do away with the pop/techno shit altogether. Since I don't typically have the luxury of choosing the day and time of our visits, I'll just have to resign myself to politely suggesting that Martin Denny or Gene Rains would be a much better musical choice for the venue.

[ Edited by: Austin_Tiki 2009-10-27 08:05 ]

Noticed they've finally re-done the website. All that tedious, disfunctional Flash animation is gone. You can download the menus, again. Overall, better, in that it is functional - but some of the new copy is still a bit cringe-making: "Kooky Drinks", as a cocktail category?

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-11-02 16:19 ]

B

Hey Limbo - thanks for the mention - we redid their site! Sometimes Flash is NOT the way to go...
As for the text - well, we did base it on their menu...
Take care,
bkahlich
[email protected]
http://www.wsiinternetworks.com

On 2009-11-02 16:17, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Noticed they've finally re-done the website. All that tedious, disfunctional Flash animation is gone. You can download the menus, again. Overall, better, in that it is functional - but some of the new copy is still a bit cringe-making: "Kooky Drinks", as a cocktail category?

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-11-02 16:19 ]

K

Sitting at the bar right now and NOT hearing the Hawaiian/Exotica mix. Well that was fun while it lasted.

They're also having glassware shortages again. My mai tai came in a tumbler and Grande Kahu's mai tai was in a scorpion glass. Looking at the mugs behind the bar it was obvious they're running out of everything. All mugs and glassware will eventually wear out and break but the vast majority fall victim to the kleptos. I guess the good part of that is they could very well end up in local garage sales and maybe TV can buy them back from the people who stole them.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-11-15 08:15 ]

*"Buffalo soldier, dreadlock rasta
He was a buffalo soldier, in the heart of America
Stolen from Africa, brought to America..."

"One love, one heart
Let's get together, and feel all right!"

"Red, red wine, stay close to me..."*

What does all this have to do with Dallas Trader Vic's?
That what I'd like to know!

Dreadlock Rasta Vic

We just went for our anniversary (it actually fell on Mai Tai Tuesday, this year). We had dinner at the bar,... and listened to lots of Bob Marley, and some other "Easy Reggae" tunes. On the upside, we got excellent, VIP-treatment from the bartenders, the drinks and food were all good, and they comped each of us a choice from the drink menu.
Plus, Mrs. Tropical Icebergs was there with two friends, and she treated us to a round, when she heard it was our anniversary (Thanks again, Victoria!).
Overall, we had a very enjoyable evening, so I can't really complain about the music too much. (Besides, I'm afraid my wife was kinda liking the reggae, anyway :( )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies