Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Archeology - The Aloha Lounge

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

J
JTD posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2003 4:29 PM

Sabu,
Aventura's only a dozen miles south of Ft Lauderdale, so if you're in town for Hukilau, I bet you make it there yourself. However, if you're not going to make Hukilau, I'll stop by there and get whatever info/pix I can.

• JTD

Hi JTD,

I wish I could make it to the Hukilau, but work, planning a wedding, and saving for a wedding are all going to keep me happily at home this Summer, I'm afraid.

If you want to take on the quest, I'd be really grateful and will buy you a few drinks at next year's Hukilau. But honestly, don't inconvenience yourself or go through too much trouble. Maybe you can talk Doctor Z into going with you, since he'll be at the Hukilau as well and I owe him lots of favors - so may as well owe him another one. You might also print out the old black & white photo earlier in this thread and take it along with you - See if anyone there recognizes it.

Thanks for the offer, JTD.

Sabu

All this computer enhancement has inspired me to do some of my own. For example, look what happens when we enhance the area behind the guy:

There is clearly another man inside the tiki bar. If we zoom in and enhance the image behind the guy, this image can be more clearly seen:

Why, it's Lee Harvey Oswald enjoying a Zombie! This time, Sabu, you have not only found another lost tiki establishment, but if you can find the guy in the photograph, I think you will have identified the second gunman in the JFK assassination! Nice work!

BTW, if the above pictures don't show up, you can look at them at geocities.com/rockdontrun/2ndgunman.jpg and at geocities.com/rockdontrun/lhotiki.jpg
I spent over two hours making these pictures and they don't always show up!

[ Edited by: Trader_Rick on 2003-04-24 14:59 ]

OH MY GOD! That guy in the Pic is Daniel Paul-BigBro's roommate!!!!!

On 2003-01-17 14:33, tikibars wrote:
There was also...

Jimmy Lums Aloha Lounge, 429 S. Dort Hwy., Flint, MI

Yesterday I took a ride up to Flint. I used to comb the pawnshops looking for music gear and always had great luck. Well, after hitting all of the thrift stores, nothing. But on the way there, I came across the Aloha Restaurant & Lounge! It's in a pretty crappy section of town (Ho's, strip joints, massage parlors) and therefore, it's closed (damn). The sign looked really promising from far away, though the building itself had no hint of tiki. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me. The place is for sale and I wanted to get the number to call about the decor, but the Mrs. just wanted to get out of there. Anyone have any info on this place?

S

It may have been a seafood restaurant at one time?

Seafood
... Jimmy Lums Aloha Lounge & Restaurant 429 S Dort
Hwy Flint MI 48503-2846 (810) 233-7081

B

Veery Interesting..
No one has mentioned the facia boards on the peak of the building. Thay look like Pecky Cypress which was All over Florida and Georgiaback in the 50's, 60's and some 70's.
Not sure how prevalant it was in so cal.
I Love the tiki.
Nice post

JT

Your all wrong...I was able to use some high powered photo software to see what letters were behind the Tiki's head.

The actual name of the place is the Bahola Lounge.

Benzart,

Thanks for the insight on the Pecky Cypress boards. That might lend more credence to the theory that this is part of the Waikiki hotel in Miami Beach.

Sabu

B

Thanx Coconut Boy. Now if we can only enhance the picture enough to see the telephone # then we could call and find out where it iz.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2004 9:33 PM

The pay phone angle only indicates when they were made and maybe installed. That phone could have been on that wall for 15 years...

On 2003-01-14 19:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
Can't you click/zoom like in "Bladerunner" into the payphone on the left and get the address?

I used Google Street view from 1965 and found out where this place is.

It's in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.

Seriously?!

Slacks may be pulling our leg or there may actually be an Aloha Lounge in Swift Current, (in which case I wanna hear more about). But the mystery of this Aloha Lounge was solved a few years ago. The photo was taken at the Tonga Lei in Malibu, CA.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12844&forum=2&start=15

I hear Malibu and Swift Current, Saskatchewan are very similar though.

Yes, a leg pull indeed. Really I just wnated to bump this thread, 'cause I found parts of it quite fascinating.

As far a Street View from 1965 goes...well that would be a cool time machine feature fo sho!

Pages: 1 2 63 replies