Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

updated!! 4-13-18!!! Page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies

Something new! I finally got my illustration board and am working on some actual paint paintings again! Thought I'd share the process. The first one here is still obviously in pencil mode

A detail of a new piece still in pencil mode

Now for a little paint.....at this point, it looks like total crap but it is just a real sloppy rough in on top of a sealed pencil drawing....normally, I just dive into a piece with color but I'm trying a more traditional approach and am working from a comp.....these are small fetishes too so my mechanics need to adjust to working this size
more soon

great start on the bottom fellar!
His expression is priceless!
Snooty,yet pissed off!
Glad you're diving in
and returning to the challenge of traditional painting!
time to get some paint on dem jeans!
:)

thanks LLT! As promised, here's a progress shot!

Still working everything out, especially my chops! By the way, I'm right on schedule with getting paint on my clothes! I love it!

SP, I assume this is the same one you posted last night? I don't know jack about painting and it just amazes me the layers that go in and how much a painting changes as it progresses.

Can't wait to see progress on the big guy and the volcano.

Thanks MDM! Every artist has a process that works.....I'm going back to my roots and am exploring the mechanical process of painting again which is lacking digitally. I love painting in photoshop but I do miss the physical tangible object at the end of the day......plus, I want to get primitive baby! Here's a revised pencil of Pele's Guardian( alternate title: Bob Hope Tiki with Cinnamon Roll Eyes)

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2009-04-17 18:20 ]

Excellent sketches and work, suburban pagan! I like creating art the old way too!

I love working analog, Sam! Thanks again! Here's a piece I've really gone retro with: 7B pencil on cold press illustration board. With my digital paintings, I like to just dive in and let the piece evolve.... with pencil, I'm much slower and deliberate. Two completely different approaches that sarisfy the art lust equally! :)

As many of you may know, my main thing is creating drama and mystery with color, but I wanted to give tonal work a chance too! Hope you like! The funniest and most difficult part of painting traditionally is getting a decent photo of the piece! I need a better camera and scanning an acrylic painting is a crime in my hands!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2009-04-27 20:10 ]

In progress

Kevin G is on FIYAH!

pencil on illustration board!
Old Skool indeed
but a lil more challenging!
you can't COMMAND X your last stroke...
Your chops seem to be properly busted
and you are on a roll,my friend...
love the greens you added to that painted one!
:)

Why ain't you doin the Art Swap in June?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32054&forum=18&start=0&41

update of "wall hanging in pencil"... almost there!

And now... as a tribute to Gambino's "Guess this person contest", I ask you all to name this "person"......... might be too easy.. or it might be difficult since I just started the damn thing!

LLT, Thank you sir....I think I will contribute a couple of necklaces since one of the requirements is that it has to be original and most of my work is just prints until these two pencils...... it feels good to work mechanically instead of digitally!

V

Why I do believe that is the infamous Hatbox Ghost! Great start!

On 2009-04-29 08:04, little lost tiki wrote:
Kevin G is on FIYAH!

"Kevin G is painting at the party....." A little "Nacho Libre aside there...

Hey Kevin - very cool sketch! Right now, he looks like he's saying "Heeeeeeere's Johnny!"

ya Jack Nickelson (?) would have been my guess as well ..

Yes, VanTiki! The hatbox ghost is correct! I also would have accepted "Ezra" or "the tall hitchhiker" ! Nice obscure reference! I love the Nicholson guess too! He does have that ghastly quality so special recognition goes to Sam Gambino and Tikiville! Here's the progress:

pretty much there!

This sketch is looking fine! Cool stuff suburbanpagan!

Here's an older piece with revised flora in the foreground.... it just never felt finished before.....you can see the old version buried at the very beginning of this thread!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2009-06-01 21:17 ]

Awesome....That really gave it dimension and depth.....its safe to call it finished now...looks great!!

I wouldn't do anything else to that suburbanpagan! Looks very cool.... It has a Flounder quality to it.

Well, it's been a looooooooooooong time! Here's a new direction. Much more graphic. Will add a wave and color but I'm very excited about it!

How ya been Sam?

How YOU been Kevin?

Yay LLT! Well, it's been a struggle but I'm a fighter and I've been missing the "scene" in a big way so..................I'm b-a-a-a-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k!!!

"Return to the Past" (In Progress)

As I continue my journey back to the "Central", I am also returning to more traditional Hawaiian tiki design...... this is a fusion of two traditional designs but enrobed in typical Kevin G. mystery! More to follow!

OK, it's not tiki but I felt I had to follow up with my posting of a sketch of "Ezra" from the Haunted Mansion from many years ago!

C
cy posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2018 9:14 AM

Welcome back, nice work suburban!

Your work is so much fun to see. The tiki sinking in the water is really cool. Wendy

Thank you so much Cy and Wendy! It's great to be back and to be creating some new art! Here is some more work on "Return to the Past"!

I thought it was perfect before but now I can feel the cool waters and feel the ripples as he submerges! Beautiful, Wendy

Thank you so much Wendy! I am now on a roll and have been sketching out this new painting!

Some progress!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies