Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

updated!! 4-13-18!!! Page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies

TSA: Thanks again! I think that last one is one of my favorites!
LLT: I am currently residing on the big island of Moorpark here in Ventura County!
Mrs BPHoptiki: Thanks for digging the atmosphere! That's what I'm all about! (hopefully!)
ST: Wow! A reference to "the Book!" I am truly honored! That is quite a compliment! Thanks!
KC: I'm glad you like the point of view! I wanted it to feel like a rum soaked moment when you may take notice of something and space out on it for a moment!
![](http://www.thetackytiki.com/pond sentinel.jpg)
This is a real loose goose right now. Very sketchy but I wanted to show my weird process a bit. I like to throw color down in big strokes and then choose the areas that need refining. This piece still has some refining to do!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-04 10:15 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-06 01:59 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-06 13:31 ]

![](http://www.thetackytiki.com/pond sentinel muted.jpg)
Muted color palette and a different focus of interest! Ahhhhhhh.......exotica! Take me away! It's starting to work much better for me now.

Bravo!
Great new Colorway! And the point of interest not only shifts closer to the viewer,it also invites the viewer into the painting.I love the brushy style as well! Total old paperback rendering while deriving subject matter from album covers! Great work! Keep 'em coming!

LLT-Thanks for the killer references! Pulp AND album covers! Hot damn! Did Jackie Gleason ever do a tropical album? I'd love to do a cover for that! I totally agrre that the color shift and focus of attention brings the viewer in a lot better now. Still, it seemed a bit off and needed a little balance so...round 3! So I like volcanoes! Wha?
![](http://www.thetackytiki.com/pond sentinel muted2.jpg)

awesome! who doesn't like volcanoes? your stuff totally inspires, SP. thanks to you, i'm off to begin another session.

To know that I have inspired a round o' paintin' is the coolest feeling! Thanks GTP!

Mystery Fountain
Once again, I began it on canvas and continued it digitally. I posted this before a while ago in it's canvas stage but it had a lot of unrealized parts to it!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-16 12:37 ]

REally nice!
Soooo you paint on canvas, then scan it in, and work on it in photoshop? Wow, what a cool effect! Then, you can create prints, even giclee form it! I LOVE those rum soaked moments! Your work is all bout that sense of mystery! Looking GREAT! I think the muted colors are really nice!

ST

Someone appears to be using my account to post things. At least they are posting nice things though.

Really? Yikes! Time for a new password! Ditto on the nice comments though.....weird!

ST

Apparently it was Tiki Shark Art that somehow got his post posed under my name. Hey, I couldn't think of a nicer guy to get my wires crossed with.

P

I like this stuff.
Very elemental. Good vibe.

Thanks for posting it.

H

Excellent stuff SP, I really like the light in the volcano one. Both of these last 2 are very moody. I'm diggin' 'em!

love the fountain, SP. you've definatly got the rum-soaked moments down. you really do catch what i think is the perfect tiki mood. apperently i'm not the only one. keep it up, man. mahalo!

"The Missing Jewel"
Thanks again everybody! I'm so glad the paintings are giving you the mood of exotica! Here's proof that I didn't fall off the face of the earth! Still managed to do some painting behind the scenes while being overwhelmed with woik stuff! Hope you like!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-31 02:41 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-31 02:43 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-05-31 02:45 ]

Looking good! I'm stoked to see the new work.

ST

the Missing Jewel...Very nice...yet again....the title invokes the story,and the rest is just mood!
Right on! keep this up and you'll score an exotica album cover commission in no time! Rawk'n!

R

On 2007-05-31 02:39, suburbanpagan wrote:
Thanks again everybody! I'm so glad the paintings are giving you the mood of exotica! Here's proof that I didn't fall off the face of the earth! Still managed to do some painting behind the scenes while being overwhelmed with woik stuff! Hope you like!

Hahaha! Good to see your alive and kickin' and still have the time to paint something awesome with a side of mystery! where is that missing jewel?

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks ST!
LLT: I think I need to revive my old band, the Carl Pagans, and commission myself! I like the thought though!
Ravenne: thanks you kookoo nut! Go check out LLT's insane decanter now! And then Chongolio's! And Sam Gambino's! And TSA's insane art! etc etc!

"The Missing Jewel" is a jewel itself, suburbanpagan. It really does have a cool vintage look to it. Your colors and concept are great too.

A

great work, i really like your style, look forward to seeing more

R

On 2007-05-31 20:06, suburbanpagan wrote:
Thanks ST!
LLT: I think I need to revive my old band, the Carl Pagans, and commission myself! I like the thought though!
Ravenne: thanks you kookoo nut! Go check out LLT's insane decanter now! And then Chongolio's! And Sam Gambino's! And TSA's insane art! etc etc!

If you revived Carl Pagans I'd need to become the official groupie....HAHAHA!!! I'll settle for the back-up vocals or drummer, hahaha!

And I've seen LLT's artwork on his page and they are insanely beautiful! I'll check on Chongolio's, Sam Gambino's and everyone else!

:tiki: Wee! SP you managed to turn me on to the world of Tiki! :wink:

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 4:23 AM

Looks great :D

man, Suburban- you rock my ass!! your mindset -as far as color theory and compasition goes, is top shelf as high as it gets! i would love to have your work around this place! making prints? what kind of prices do you attache to your originals? (do you make originals?)

Sam - Thanks man! I've dug your work for quite some time and it stokes me that you like my style!
Arttard- Thanks! I look forward to making more!
Ravenne- for the love of God, go look at Tiki Shark Art's stuff!
Thanks Hewey!
Greentikipat- Thanks for the ultimate compliment! I am actually going up to Ventura this week to look at some giclee proofs to see what scale I want to print this out at so I can offer up some art for the masses! I have sold a few pieces in the $800.oo range but I'd love to offer framed or unframed prints at reasonable prices! More like $60.00 for signed and numbered series. I appreciate your interest and keep you posted with the results.
Thanks again everybody!

A lighting study

R

Whoa....I like this. Very ominous feel to it.

K
kctiki posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 7:42 PM

I have to say your work meets my personal acid test for great music/writing/art - when the piece takes you by the hand and pulls you into another time, place & dimension. Looking forward to when prints are available.

Very Nice! You're batting 100 mr.pagan!
Now quit painting and get to band practice! :)

On 2007-06-04 19:42, kctiki wrote:
I have to say your work meets my personal acid test for great music/writing/art - when the piece takes you by the hand and pulls you into another time, place & dimension. Looking forward to when prints are available.

takes you by the hand, hmmmmmm, acid test??

On 2007-06-04 20:44, little lost tiki wrote:
Very Nice! You're batting 100 mr.pagan!
Now quit painting and get to band practice! :)

band practice? acid? takes you by the hand??? hmmmmmmm...

Inna gadda da vida teekee, oh won't you come with me-hee-he and take my hand , oh won't you come with me-hee-he to exotic lands, pleez take my haaa-aaand. BOW bow bow......

Cool tiki, it's gonna be another exotic moody painting...

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-04 23:07 ]

Welllllllll..........I did happen to go to the Cavern Club in Hollywood a few times back in the day.....and I did happen to be seduced by the dark side of garage/psyche.....................and I did own an album by Plasticland..............ok I owned three albums by Plasticland...........and I do own a Voxx teardrop Wyman bass with a belt buckle guard! But besides that, I ain't saying nuttin'! :wink: This image is dedicated to none other than our very own DJ Lee Joseph!

By the way, thank you kctiki so much for the coolest compliment! Wow! That made me feel great to know that my stuff has been able to connect to you on that level! That's what I want my art to do! Made my day! Press check on Thursday! Finally getting my act together! Thanks for the interest!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:31 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:43 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:57 ]

R

I thought for a second I was high or something...that is freakin hilarious! Without the glasses you'd think it's an homage to V for Vendetta! Hahahaha!

Love it tho! :lol:

FUCKING HILARIOUS!

So this is where the sketch is headed. I picture him off to the side of the entrance to a club. Still tweaking some of the rendering ( I mean look at those undefined masses that are supposed to be feet!) but the flavor is there I think!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-06 12:05 ]

Yesterday, I did a press check and am happy to say that I will be producing limited edition, signed and numbered giclee prints on acid free vellum using 120 year inks. These images will vary in size depending on their respective proportions but will have a consistent long side of 10 inches with 2 inches of white border all around for more flexibility in matting and framing. I believe this a good size for most home tiki bars and lounges..not too big, not too small! I am currently setting up some buttons on my website, http://www.thetackytiki.com, to offer some of my artist's proofs that I currently have. Production will be ongoing but I want to build a little inventory before offering the numbered sets because I hate to wait for stuff I order and I'm sure you do too! Anyhow, I should have the artist's proofs buttons up and running by tonight!

Very cool, suburbanpagan! I absolutely love the 60's kitsch value to this painting!

That tiki is looking swell. I like the rock walls in your paintings, very midcentury mood enhancing...:)
:drink:
ST

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2007 3:00 PM

Hi
This is quite an honor really! For those of you who don't know...this was inspired by a 20+ year old pic of me playing in a band that was way into the '66 garage punk thing, called The Unclaimed. Don't think much about those days anymore but put this pic on Myspace and was quite happy when Kevin G the Tacky Tiki sent over a jpeg...
Thanks so much Kevin! Hope to see you at Tiki Oasis or sooner! Here's the original pic -

best
Lee
www/myspace.com/leejoseph

On 2007-06-05 23:29, suburbanpagan wrote:

Welllllllll..........I did happen to go to the Cavern Club in Hollywood a few times back in the day.....and I did happen to be seduced by the dark side of garage/psyche.....................and I did own an album by Plasticland..............ok I owned three albums by Plasticland...........and I do own a Voxx teardrop Wyman bass with a belt buckle guard! But besides that, I ain't saying nuttin'! :wink: This image is dedicated to none other than our very own DJ Lee Joseph!

By the way, thank you kctiki so much for the coolest compliment! Wow! That made me feel great to know that my stuff has been able to connect to you on that level! That's what I want my art to do! Made my day! Press check on Thursday! Finally getting my act together! Thanks for the interest!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:31 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:43 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-06-05 23:57 ]

Pagan, you are so hitting it with those colors! Sure, undefined lumps, but with such dimension!

Thanks everybody! I like to think I'm a kitschy kinda guy and I does love the lava rock! Just somethin' about that texture mixed with complementary color malibu lights makes me feel at peace! I am happy to say that I have completed my programming on my website to now offer numbered series giclee prints or artist's proofs giclee prints on archival artist's vellum on 6 pieces that I have selected. The artist's proofs are limited in number. That's all for now!
http://www.thetackytiki.com

Right on Kevvy! You are the master of mood lighting! Would love to attend a whole show with all of these!!! Great foresight with the prints! Your latest painting also reminds me of the lead singer of Electric Peace! Rockin!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-06-12 08:21 ]

Just ordered "The Watcher" artist's proof.

Thanks Pagan!

Chris

Thanks La Esquina Del Tiki! I'm printing out your address label and will be mailing it in a few minutes! I think you'll be very happy with the print! Thanks again!

Is there a discount on shipping for ordering more than one? If so I should have played my cards right and ordered one of your others. Oh well, next time I guess.

Can't wait to see it Pagan!

OK ! OK! I've got LLT all over me for not being prolific enough! Damn slave driver! Here's a little sumpin' in the works that is inspired by Les Baxter's Ritual of the Savage cover!

cool!

That's looking great! I love your use of sidelighting.

Just got my "Watcher" A/P! Looks awesome, thanks Kevin.

Chris

That's great! That didn't take long at all! Thanks again Chris! Wait til you get the canvas!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 318 replies