Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Shamelessly watching....DWTS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 422 replies

Double-rats...I am still at work...so will take me a couple of more hours to get home and I will miss the guys dancing. Guess you will have to do without my mediocre opinion tonight. :lol:

Carry on girls!!!! I'll catch up tomorrow.

Spill your guts...let me know all the gory details though. :)

No opinion is mediocre (or, maybe, all opinions are mediocre?). It's definitely better to have your own opinion than take up someone else's, that for sure. :)

My opinions:

Cameron: His footwork was slow, but okay. Good posture, but his stride was too wide, especially in the turns. I thought his arms were kinda soft. That will be fixed once he's more confident on the dance floor.

Floyd: High energy and a real performer, but it was obvious that he'll need to work really hard to gain some technique. Frame? What frame? Super footwork (given, since he's a boxer), but like CariAnn said, he was overly aggressive with his partner.

Helio: Very good footwork, very floaty. It looked like he was actually leading his partner. Nice lines and he handled the complicated choreography with aplomb.

Albert: Entertaining and his sense of humour showed well. He was fearless out there. He's got enough hip action (or, should I say, PELVIC THRUST?) for himself andWayne. If he can get better control over that thing (and work on his footwork), he'll be unstoppable.

Mark: He had an interesting mix of glidey yet plodding footwork. The goofy faces were distracting. Did you see him lipsyncing? He's got good musicality, though. Hip replacement just 7 weeks before starting?! Criminy...

Wayne: What a showman! Great smile. At 65, his hips may not have seen much action lately, but he better loosen up in his mid-region before he gets to those Samba rolls in the Rhumba. He needs to work on not "pony stepping", too.

I predict Josie goes home.

J

All great observations, Haole'akamai, and I must concur!

I think Cameron had a strong start and has the potential to improve greatly.

Boxer boy looks like he's dodging punches.

Helio may take this. He seems to be a natural dancer and has that latin passion to kick some arse on the latin dances!

Albert has some moves, but I don't think he'll be able reign it in when necessary.

Mark is a dork! The singing along was totally distracting and I think he was relying too much on charm to win over the judges. So ungraceful!

Wayne disappointed me! I had such high hopes for someone who has been an entertainer for so long. You would think with all his martial arts training that his hips would be a bit looser. Hopefully he can get it together and make it into the final three guys with Cameron and Helio.

I'm torn between Josie and Mark for the one to leave tomorrow night.

I did make it home in time to see Wayne dance...and I too was disappointed. He was very stiff, but makes me wonder if he has a back problem or something. Anyway, I think they will let him hang for a couple of more times...look how long they kept George Hamilton. They are gentle on the older folks as long as they add show value.

Looking forward to seeing the overview of the dances tonight. I agree about Josie...think she is outtathere.

J

Looks like I was right about the bottom two. Now let's see if Josie goes!

J

Yay! Josie is gone! I predict Mark next week...well, at least I hope!

Thanks for the update Jen....had to work late...just got home...missed the whole show. :(

Who was the entertainment...thought I heard them say it was going to be Dolly Pardon?

I hope Wayne hangs out for a while 'cause I think Cheryl is soooooo hot!

Hahaha. Ain't that the truth - and I think Wayne thought the same. Did you see how he couldn't keep his hands off her in the "Kiss-n-Cry" area backstage?

J

I hope Samantha stays on maternity leave for a very, very long time! Drew is a much more entertaining host!

Melanie...seemed more traditional, she will hang in another week

Mark...I think he is destined for the "outta here" prize.

Wayne...still stiff in the hips, but lots of energy, plus great song..he will hang for another couple of weeks.

Marie...she did much better and I liked her energy.

Albert...very traditional nothing too exciting this week.

Helio...is the bomb...I think he is going to take this competition, just sorry I missed seeing him dance last week.

Jenny...what a bummer about the fall...that has gotta be so upsetting...but think she will stay for one more week.

Cameron...did well..but he was stiff and he is such a cutie...boy that dress of Edyta's was a knockout....loved the song.

Floyd...seems stiff but has good footwork.

Jane...did a nice job...boy the male judges sure put her down..thank goodness there is a gal on the board...she looks so cute in that outfit...she is such a beautiful woman.

Sabrina...she definitely got rid of the hip hop and did a damned good job...I think she is serious competition for Helios.

See ya tomorrow night. :)

J

Melanie did a great job reining in the fire for this dance! I expect she'll be around for quite a while.

Mark gets the prize for the most surprisingly improved male. He looked much less "stompy" than last week, and without the facial hair he looked about 20 years younger.

Wayne...poor Wayne. I really had high hopes for him, but he blew it this week! He really oughta be able to relax with all his performing experience, but he just can't seem to loosen up enough to enjoy himself. And he gets the "most obvious lipsynching" prize this week.

Marie kicked ass compared to last week. I really hope the public lets her stick around for a while. It was nice to see the brothers in the audience too.

Albert... eh... boring.

Helio is a natural. He really did look like a pro. And it's great that he really looks like he's having fun rather than concentrating.

Jenny is destined to end her journey early. I don't think she's emotionally equipped to handle the pressure, and the fall was a sad exclamation point on a painful performance. She just seemed so stiff and stressed out through the whole dance.

Cameron did well this week. I'm glad his hips have loosened up some. I think he has at least a few more weeks in him.

Floyd still seemed pretty "hunchy" to me. I just really don't enjoy his dancing.

Jane was definitely too uppity for a Latin dance! And what was her face doing?!? :o I only give her a couple more weeks.

Sabrina...there's something about that girl that annoys me, but I just can't put my finger on it. I expect she'll get to stay a while, but I don't think she'll be in the final two.

Forgot to post my thoughts:

Mel B: She had great head snaps. Great choreography, with nice fast/slow combos. Her bounce was kinda up, which caused her to not look as smooth through the runs.

Marc: He showed no musicality, no syncopation. I didn't see any connection and he and his partner had bad lines. His partner had to back lead everything. Did much better with the face, and like Jen said, he looks tons better clean shaven.

Wayne: Yipes! Biggest train wreck since Master P. As slow as he was and, still, I saw no foot work. Choreography was ridiculously simple. She had no confidence in him, and I wouldn't either if he stepped on my toes. So sad. I wished and wished, as I watched, to make him miraculously better. Oh, he better hope he's got a strong fanbase if he wants to stick around.

Marie: Her musicality is tremendous. Her turns and swivels are way slow, but I still find her fun to watch.

Albert: The video of his grandma made ME cry. I wanted him to do better for her (and his grandad). Beyond being dull choreography, the music choice was at odds with the speed of the routine. He goofed his footwork on all the runs. His frame was collapsing from almost the start of the dance.

Helio: HOT lines, sharp and dramatic. Great flexibility. I wanted to see more actual steps, but I will not complain because he was so super solid. You could see he actually lead her!

Jenny: Her core was like Jello; you could see her partner had a rough time lugging her around the dance floor. She was in head so much she wasn't there to respond to him. Her footwork was reasonably fast though.

Cameron: He didn't grasp the complicated footwork, but he did have good hip action. Good frame, but his tension was way too high. Solid frame doesn't mean tight frame. And DAT BUTT! Smoking...

Floyd: Too bouncy. He needed to bounce into the floor and get out of the boxer frame (hunched shoulder) and into the dance frame (open chest). Really great energy, and I liked that he was working so hard because he doesn't want to let his partner down.

Jane: Weak leg movement and weird knee angles. Not hot, but very broadway. Still, I want to be able to wear a dress like that at 56.

Sabrina: Nearly flawless. Handled the fast complicated footwork with ease. But watching her was like hearing an engine stuck in a lower gear. The routine was overworking and I wanted to see the slow catches.

And I think Marc will go tonight. Not because he was the poorest dancer (I hate to say it, but that honour went to Wayne), he just doesn't have enough people voting for him.

J

Well, I'm sorta surprised that Albert is gone, but I guess it makes sense. Like one of the pros (I don't remember which one) said, nobody knew who he was before this. He has no fan base to support him. Wayne, on the other hand, has a ginormous fan base.

Oh, and yes, Cameron's butt ... rockin! :o :blush:

So long Albert whoever you are.

Dork!

I'm not happy that clunky Wayne is paired with Cheryl, because that means she won't be there all season.

Has Wayne Newton ever said No to a reality show? I honestly don't think so.

J

On 2007-10-02 22:13, Bora Boris wrote:
Has Wayne Newton ever said No to a reality show? I honestly don't think so.

You're probably right, but he did get a rockin' guest house out of his visit to "Design Star!"

Missed that show. :)

I think Albert looked surprised, but Wayne only got it due to popular vote. So sad about Jane's Mom passing on...it is good to hear that she will stay in the show in memory of her Mom. Hope she got to see how well Jane did on the show though.

Another late night in the office, so just made it home in time to see the recap of all the dances. ARGH!!! Hard to tell how folks did, but after tomorrows cut it is going to get tougher.
Looking forward to what the rest of you thought of the dancing tonight. :)

BB

I voted for Helio and Julianne Twice.

Thanks a lot Wayne. :evil:

MT

Family Guy is just soooooo much better.

Same for American Dad!

On 2007-10-10 00:48, Mai Tai wrote:
Family Guy is just soooooo much better.

Same for American Dad!

Family Guy! YES! I watched all of season #5 last night on dvd.. and the episode where Peter gets the finger in his ass!! now that's entertainment!

Good bye Wayne.

:cry: Sniff...sniff... Aloha, Cheryl!

:x Danke Schoen, Wayne

:tiki: :sheckymug: :drink: :sheckymug: :tiki:

Did you see him on Kimmel last night? That man has no wrinkles. Wasn't sure if the state of surprise on his face was from the shock of being kicked off or the myriad of facelifts.....

I always liked "the idea" of Wayne Newton, but getting to know him better, through the miracle of reality TV, I'm starting to feel kinda creeped out by him.

Yes, poor Cheryl. Do you think she'll come back since they keep pairing her with obvious non-winners?

J

On 2007-10-10 09:47, Haole'akamai wrote:
Did you see him on Kimmel last night? That man has no wrinkles. Wasn't sure if the state of surprise on his face was from the shock of being kicked off or the myriad of facelifts.....

Wayne's face has been weird for quite a while now. And it just keeps getting weirder. Way too many lifts!

I always liked "the idea" of Wayne Newton, but getting to know him better, through the miracle of reality TV, I'm starting to feel kinda creeped out by him.

Yeah, another casualty of childhood fame. Has never really had a simple/real life, so he lives in his made-up dream of one.

I think America did the right thing this week. I do hope Cheryl comes back. She's a great dancer, but the producers are expecting her to perform miracles! I still can't figure out why Mark is still there. I thought he was saved last week because nobody knows who that model guy is. But It's hard to believe that Mark has more fan base than Floyd. Oh well. I must live in a bubble with no clue what real Americans are looking for.

Oh, and can I just say that I used to love, love, love Seal! Unfortunately, his first two albums were the only good ones. After that, his music got very boring and monotonous. Last night was a prime example. "Kiss from a Rose" was beautiful as always, but what kinda crap was that second song?! It makes me sad. :cry:

And while I'm on my soapbox ... Maksim is a pompous ass! Even when he was dancing with the other pro last night, he practically treated her as an accessory. He makes every dance, and every moment he has on camera, all about him! He did that last year too with Leila! Yuk! Unfortunately, they keep pairing him with good celebrities so we get stuck with his ego for the whole season! :evil:

Okay, I'm done. Next ...

We should all write to DWTS and tell them that for a change of pace next season, they should give us the lineup of stars and dancers in advance, then WE'LL vote online to determine who gets paired with whom.

Maybe we'll end up putting a couple of the girls together. Hee hee.
... Which would mean a couple of the guys would be stuck with each other as well. :lol:

And also, of course, we won't tune in at all if Cherl Burke is not among the dancers.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-10-10 13:13 ]

So let me get this straight, Wayne Newton's face is weird but Seal's isn't?

J

Sure, Seal's face is weird, but it's because of a childhood disease, rather than a desire to look like a child at the age of 60+. Seal's face has character, while Wayne just looks like one.

On 2007-10-13 01:27, JenTiki wrote:
Sure, Seal's face is weird, but it's because of a childhood disease, rather than a desire to look like a child at the age of 60+. Seal's face has character, while Wayne just looks like one.

Hmm so you're saying Show Business isn't a Childhood Disease?

I do think Wayne should now join the line up of future faces to appear on Nip/Tuck....Joan Rivers got her limelight for tight-skin goddess...bring on the men!!!

I would like to see someone like Tina Turner (she looks good in a wig) and Michael Douglas (his face isn't too tight yet) on a future DWTS show. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-13 17:42 ]

In watching the results show tonight, I realised something.

Having Sabrina in the competition has ruined this season for me.If she ends up winning, it'll feel like the whole thing is more than a farce.

And it'll make me sad, like when Dracula won the Oscar for best costume design...

Wayne Newton's still not gonna be there every week is he?

Ian Ziering's not gonna be there every week is he?

If we lose Edyta, I'm changing channels.

J

Damn DVR!!!! Didn't record it for some reason! Who was the former champion they said was gonna be on last night? Who were in the bottom two, and who went home? I feel so lost!!!

On 2007-10-17 10:54, JenTiki wrote:
Damn DVR!!!! Didn't record it for some reason! Who was the former champion they said was gonna be on last night? Who were in the bottom two, and who went home? I feel so lost!!!

Former Champion: Nick Lechey (what's-her-face is back from popping out the baby - I wished she hadn't returned; I much prefer Nick to her)

Bottom Two: Floyd and Mel B

Went Home: Floyd

Sabrina so didn't deserve 10s.....

J

Wow! I'm seriously surprised that Mel B was in the bottom two! Where are all those Spice Girls fans when you finally need them?

Yeah, Sabrina was certainly not the best dance of the night, but I do think she was better than I expected. Plus, I really loved her dress!

And I should've asked this on my last message, but who was the musical guest this time?

On 2007-10-17 16:49, JenTiki wrote:
And I should've asked this on my last message, but who was the musical guest this time?

Wayne Newton filling in for Gloria Estefan.

This 9pm second show is killing me...I couldn't keep my eyes open, so went to bed. Not surprised by the cut. I was talking to my Mom tonight and think she hit the nail on the head....this group of dancers is just not as good as the previous groups.

Still...I wouldn't be able to walk down the stairs without falling...so think they do pretty well for not being professionals. I too love the dresses.

J

On 2007-10-17 18:31, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2007-10-17 16:49, JenTiki wrote:

Wayne Newton filling in for Gloria Estefan.

Thank you very much, Bobo! :wink:

J

Oh no! We have an Osmond down! :o

And what a thud it was!!!!

Just MHO...

Marie = definitely was not going to be a 10...hope she is OK though...that was quite a surprize
Jane = wow...she sure sexied it up tonight and nice job
Mark = I liked it...he really does try and kinda grows on ya
Sabrina = very nice and I think she trys so hard
Jennie = too hip hop and jumpy, boring, but the judges liked it
Helio = crappy music, they are so well matched for each other, but the judges felt it was too mechanical
Melanie = very hot...damn good, he is an arse...but cute
Cameron = absolutely fabulous...very sultry...best dance of the night

J

And here's my take on this evening's performances:

Marie - Getting boring. Maybe the faint was all a ploy to get sympathy votes. Okay, I'm kidding.

Jane - Much hotter tonight than the last time she was supposed to be hot. I think she was lovely.

Mark - Eeewww! He's so dorky and awkward when he dances that I really can't see why he's still there. He must go soon! Definitely the worst dancer of the bunch.

Sabrina - Nice extensions! Oh, her legs looked long too :wink: She looked much older, sexier, and more elegant than before. I believed it.

Jennie - The Leeza Gibbons of this season. She has certainly improved, but she did totally lose the energy in the middle of the dance. I think she only has another week or two in her.

Helio - I miss his usual passion. He's got the latin blood that should be able to make these dances steamy, but it just wasn't there tonight.

Melanie - Whew! That girl can move! I really hope they put Maks with a really bad dancer next season so we don't have to put up with his ego for long. He needs to learn that his job is simply to make the celebrity look good. Not steal the spotlight every chance he gets/takes.

Cameron - Finally we're seeing what I had hoped for at the beginning of the season. From years of watching him on All My Children, I knew he had the passion and drama in him. He's finally learning to put it into the dance and letting the character take over.

I think the bottom two will be Jennie and Mark. And I hope, hope, hope that Mark finally goes home tomorrow!

I think you are right Jen on the ones to cut. I think it will be Mark....just no dancing talent.

I had to work late last night so missed the show. :(

How did everyone do? I wish they had reruns or delayed replays. Will catch the show tonight. Looking forward to reviews by fellow gawkers. :)

Humph - Sabrina, huh? Either Marie or Jane should have been the one to go home.

Not wishing anyone ill; I believe it's for the best. I feel that the show is going to be more legitimate now. I certainly will be happier about the outcome.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 422 replies