Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar ( *Image Heavy* ), San Francisco, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 122 replies

And I do have to say that if you go to any tiki-joint and order a drink that is to your dis-satisfaction,
that maybe it might work to ask the bartender personally if he would mix a mai tai or any other drink, to your desires.
And if they do, tip them! They may not stop serving the company mix, but they may just ask the next guy how he likes his
drink. I seem to remember the days where it was kind of portrayed that good bartenders were expected to be like that.

Did this make sense?

It just seems that maybe we have more responsibility to our fellow tikiphiles (and ourselves). Any drink joint, tiki or otherwise,
is really only as good as its bartender when it boils down to it.

When that first drink isn't quite or wholly what you want... ask!!!

You might get a drink that you like, and the bar might get a more favorable review (more customers, maybe), and we won't keep reading about tiki-joints closing down.

Food. I have no idea how to change bad food. But dang if the place has kick-ass drinks, or a good bartneder, I'm frikkin' there, showing my support from the bottom of a Volcano Bowl!!!
At the very least you'll be helping out that bartender with a tip. And maybe getting your mai tai the way you want it in't so bad either.

And sure there may be Bartenders that are tools, but hey no tip for them!

Dunno, I ramble again...

Your mileage may vary...

(Edited to change "they" to "there" in the third to last sentence)

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2008-08-26 20:47 ]

On 2008-08-26 20:45, TikiGardener wrote:
And I do have to say that if you go to any tiki-joint and order a drink that is to your dis-satisfaction,
that maybe it might work to ask the bartender personally if he would mix a mai tai or any other drink, to your desires.
And if they do, tip them! They may not stop serving the company mix, but they may just ask the next guy how he likes his
drink. I seem to remember the days where it was kind of portrayed that good bartenders were expected to be like that.

Did this make sense?

It just seems that maybe we have more responsibility to our fellow tikiphiles (and ourselves). Any drink joint, tiki or otherwise,
is really only as good as its bartender when it boils down to it.

When that first drink isn't quite or wholly what you want... ask!!!

You might get a drink that you like, and the bar might get a more favorable review (more customers, maybe), and we won't keep reading about tiki-joints closing down.

Food. I have no idea how to change bad food. But dang if the place has kick-ass drinks, or a good bartneder, I'm frikkin' there, showing my support from the bottom of a Volcano Bowl!!!
At the very least you'll be helping out that bartender with a tip. And maybe getting your mai tai the way you want it in't so bad either.

And sure there may be Bartenders that are tools, but hey no tip for them!

Dunno, I ramble again...

Your mileage may vary...

(Edited to change "they" to "there" in the third to last sentence)

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2008-08-26 20:47 ]

There's a reason I always liked you from way back, Tiki Gardener.
Good post.
KG

Well said TG. I can tell you that I frequent Waitiki in Orlando as often as I can even though the drinks are awful. Why? Because it's the only tiki place in town. So I have a beer (they can't screw that up) and gaze at the tiki art on the walls. I just have to go at certain times so as to avoid the cosmo-drinking 20 something crowd. I want the place to survive and I want them to improve. Next time I go, I'm taking some Don Tiki CDs in hopes they'll play them. A little improvement at a time.

Now, if I had the Tonga Room in my town, there is no doubt I would be there often. It's so visually stunning and such a rarity. Just go when the band's not playing. I'd even go so far as to order a Mai-Tai, excuse myself with it to the restroom, dump it out, and pour in a homemade one (from a flask embedded in my shoe, no doubt). Hmmmm... may have to try that at Waitiki.

Support your local tiki bar or it won't be there tomorrow!

J

On 2008-08-27 10:31, GatorRob wrote:
I'd even go so far as to order a Mai-Tai, excuse myself with it to the restroom, dump it out, and pour in a homemade one (from a flask embedded in my shoe, no doubt).

But why pay the Tonga Room's outrageous drink prices for a drink you can't drink?! Their drinks are bad. The service is bad (especially if you're with a group of more than 4). Good luck getting any of their bartenders to make a drink any way other than what corporate dictates!

Spend your drinking money at the places that know how to make a good drink! There are two tiki establishments just a short drive/ride across the bay that know how to make a fine cocktail, have pure atmospheric decor, and friendly, efficient service. The drink prices are much more reasonable than they are at Tonga, and the quality is 100 times better!

I'll admit I would be sad if the Tonga Room closed down, or changed format more than it already has, just because of sentimental attachments to what the room once was, but I wouldn't lose more than a night's sleep over it. However, if Trader Vic's in Emeryville or Forbidden Island closed, my faith in all things good and right would be shaken. Those are the places that "get it". Hell, one of them started it! Support the venues that do it right. Make suggestions to the ones that get it wrong and hope they'll make changes (but don't bank on it). I guess I should be thankful that the Tonga Room even exists still in the current "update and recreate" corporate hotel mentality. But they're missing the mark in so many ways that it's just hard to encourage people to go there for anything more than a look around anymore.

Sorry if that got a bit "rambly," but my frustrations are getting the best of me this morning.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2008-08-27 12:01 ]

As said your mileage ( or service experiences ) may vary. I have, so far, not had a bad service experience at The Tonga Room. Sorry you did. Did you talk to anyone in a supervisory role? Talk to someone further up the customer service chain of command? They tend not to like complaints... and usually if you are cogent and not too frothy at the mouth, they tend to be agreeable folks. Sometimes issuing freebies and possibly passing it down the chain of command so that the staff buck up and work on their people skills. It is after all a people oriented business, and nobody likes to be unemployed.

I do not doubt that Forbidden Island is a stellar joint. And if it were one block off of my route home, I'd be there quite frequently. But it isn't, and I get the sense that The entirety of F.I. would fit under that A-Frame section of Tonga. No slam there at all, so please don't perceive it as such.

But, as the old C.S.B. commercial said;"You'll never know what you can do, until you try."

And as to drinks... everybody has a different palate. And if you don't ask, you'll never know if it actually works. Silver in the palm always seems to get at least some sort of co-operative response.

Hukilau comes to mind, I asked if they could mix me a firefly ala Bahooka. You know why I like Hukilau? Because the bartender didnt know what it was but said if I knew the ingredients, that they would be happy to... So anybody know whats in a firelfly?
I wanna tip that bartender something good, and get my drink the way I like it.

Your mileage may vary...

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

P.S. If I hadn't been told that Tonga had "renovated" I wouldn't have noticed...

[ Edited by: tikigardener 2008-08-27 16:45 ]

AND!!! I've said this before as an idea. Places like Hukilau which are skinny on actual tikis, well I intend at some point to bring them a good tiki for their display. At the very least they will have one more tiki, and maybe I'll get even friendlier service than I already get. Now I doubt Tonga would accept one, but I'll bet some smaller joints would love an additional tiki. And might show their thanks in various ways. Bahooka comes to mind, I think that there was a thread where I mentioned it about someone saying they didnt have enough tikis there....

I'm not trying to convert anyone, or get into a pissing match. Quite simply, putting my two cents out there.

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2008-08-27 16:53 ]

J

On 2008-08-27 15:32, TikiGardener wrote:
I have, so far, not had a bad service experience at The Tonga Room. Sorry you did. Did you talk to anyone in a supervisory role? Talk to someone further up the customer service chain of command? They tend not to like complaints... and usually if you are cogent and not too frothy at the mouth, they tend to be agreeable folks. Sometimes issuing freebies and possibly passing it down the chain of command so that the staff buck up and work on their people skills. It is after all a people oriented business, and nobody likes to be unemployed.

Actually, yes, I have spoken to people further up the chain of command, AND their bosses. Got the same line of crap from all of them. Got me nowhere, even when I suggested that my group of 16 people would be inclined to take our business elsewhere without ordering a single drink. Even when I'm in a small group of 2 or 4 people, the server frequently gets the order wrong, and takes ages to come back to take an order for a second round, conveniently waiting until a minute or two past 7:00 when Happy Hour prices end. My poor service experiences at the Tonga Room are definitely more the rule, rather than the exception. If it had been a one-time thing, I wouldn't have bothered posting about it here.

I am sorry that you seem to have had nothing but bad service at the Tonga Room.

The last time I was there, my daughter and I went for happy hour. We got there well into happy hour.
The bar was packed. And yet we managed to get three rounds in, the last one taken 5 minutes after
happy hour was over, and yet our server charged us happy hour price.

The previous time we went, we split the spicy tofu plate. Now I'm vegetarian, and that and the
mushroom spring rolls are the only thing I can eat there. I don't mind. Yes it would be nice if
they had more vegetarian fare, and if it was a bit cheaper, but we split the tab and had a grand time with
friendly and attentive service.

My only run in with any service people was when I was taking shots and the main man old me I couldn't
unless my party was in it. And his reason was that the patrons "don't like it". Which means to me that some
people don't like ending up in other peoples pictures. Which I understand. So I just did it on the sly and made
sure if he saw me, it was of the decor and not the patrons.

And who knows, I've yet to ask them to change a drink, as my daughter and I both found them enjoyable and effective!

I like it some don't, and I think thats where it comes down. Just like Black Liquorice, some people think its the
bees knees, while I think it tastes like roofing tar smells on a hot summer day...
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

And the service thing reminds me of this one waitress at this Mexican food place I like to eat at occassionally.
I had been used to this one very kind and pleasant lady as my server, but one day I got this woman that spilled drinks,
ran into the table more than once and brought me a chicken enchillada when I had asked for cheese. So as each error occurred,
the tip percentage went down in my mind. I had the misfortune to get her a few more times and did the same thing each time. She got
a tip as I know what its like to count on tips, but I knew she had to be getting the same treatment from others, because
the tip is one area of control you have. And sure enough, one day I saw that I had her as my server. Dread filled my heart
as I saw myself having to go through it all again. But she made sure to repeat my order back to me twice, engaged in banter,
and was very pleasant to me and my daughter ( we enjoy dining if you couldn't tell ) , and was amazing. We watched her at her other tables
and sure enough, at each table she did the same. I'd like to think that we had something to do with it, as I think everyone deserves
a few chances. Its that empathy thing. As bad as her service was at the begining, I really felt bad thinking of this woman
losing her source of income.

Dunno. rambling again... But I think I was making some sort of point in there...
And if it were Burrito Central I'd name the place! Its awesome!!!

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2008-08-27 20:22 ]

just back from an wonderful evening in the Tonga Room. i brought my 84 yr old Uncle Richard, cousin greg, Uncle Fred and Auntie Elsie.. our waiter was a curt chinese dude, who we could barely understand, he wasnt very attentive, but he gave us free rice even though 2 in our group had the appitizer for an entree!

the pro photographer came by when one of our group was away, and i guess he went to develop film, so we couldnt wait around. so our waiter got us all in focus and took a nice group photo.

we had a flaming dessert. i have no idea what it was, i just asked our waiter for a 'dessert on fire".. he made sure there was plenty of booze in the chocolate cup to make a huge fire.

only auntie else had a drink, Tom Collins, and she got darned tipsy, and enjoyed her cocktail.

the cheezy filipino trio was playing the same set i remember from a few years ago.. and we ALL sang along to 'fly me to the moon'. i think $5 per person isnt unreasonable for a cover..

i love this place, the remodel seems like just a deep cleaning ~ i didnt notice anything missing, perhaps there were fewer thunderstorms.. other than that..

ive enjoyed all our visits to the tonga room..and it was nice to bring folks who havent been there in 30 plus years ~ and watch them have fun too.

Here are a couple of vintage Tonga Room postcards I found today.

CJ

That first postcard is awesome! I've never seen that picture before

wow how cool is that.
would have loved to have been there for that.
I'm a big Fan of the Early Chris Isaak stuff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Tonga Room Souvenir Photo holder and photo.

T

I didn't see the following menu in this thread so I figured I would add one.

Actually, there isn't a lot of the collectibles you can find from this great Restaurant on here. There's lots of whats bad and good and peoples opinions but I think it's time to show some of the artifacts from this awesome place that's been around for over 60 years!

Nothing too new here, just thought I would get some of this together on this thread. Quite an old Tonga Room Menu.
Cover:

Inside menu where Half A Lobster is $2.50 and Shark Fin Soup is $1.50:

Reverse:

The following is postcard (Dated Sept. 1949) with a picture of the outside of the Fairmont Hotel where the Tonga Room is located:

It is hard to see, but the second entrance (further down hill) has a sign above it that says Tonga Room. Although I think the Tonga Room itself is down the other side but I might be wrong.

Here is an old matchbook, probably mid to late 1940's, from the Fairmont Hotel that shows all the other restaurants and spots to go:

The inside of the matchbook:

The following is an early table top Tropical Drink Menu that I have. Cover:

It's cool to look at and the bright colors on the black background really make the drawings pop.

Inside menu:

Back of menu that features a neat white drawing of the ship interior with colored drinks, lights and oriental roof over the floating barge:

Man O Man......Zombie's for $1.50! Awesome!!

Here's a commonly seen postcard from the Tonga Room:

This is another older postcard which really shows the Ship features of the restaurant. This is from above the bar looking out. You can see the "S.S. Tonga" floating in the center before it's different changes.

Tonga Room Matchbook:

Here's another Menu:

Following is a old photo and holder you could get from the photographer that worked the room which I saw recently:

This is an early photo as the background is still in the ship setting. Nice to see sort of a behind the scenes shot and a period photo. Looks like the young couple are quite happy to be there and drinking of course!! It looks like they got a Tonga Punch!

Here's another older matchbook:

This matchbook has no address or phone number on it. You just have to feel where it is!

A Moai wood grain style salt and pepper set:

Now we can't forget about the mugs can we?
Here's a couple of the more elusive ones I know of.
The Drum Mug:

3 Face Moai Bowl:

And the cool double stacked coconut:

There were other mugs and bowls like the common 3-Face Bucket Mug, Peanut Tiki one, Hula Girl Bowls, OMC Earring Head, etc., but I think that's about it from me for now though.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-06-12 17:48 ]

My husband and I dropped by the Tonga Room on a Friday in July, 2009 during happy hour. I had a very good margarita (rum and I don't get along very well...goes back to rum and coke days in the late 60's) and my husband had a beer. They do have San Francisco prices but at least happy hour is not outrageous. They now have a limited $9 buffet and it looked pretty good. We just went for the one drink but it looked as if they did a good job on the tropical drinks. They still have the thunderstorm over the pool. By the way, my husband said the tiki bar was designed in lieu of doing away with the swimming pool. Be sure and take the time to appreciate the lobby of the Fairmont while there. Lots of history and beauty. Even though it is in the ritzy Fairmont, dress was casual.

PRESS RELEASE

SAVE THE TONGA ROOM RALLY AT SMUGGLER’S COVE SAN FRANCSICO
650 Gough Street (at McAllister), San Francisco, California
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 from 5:00 until 7-ish

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - To all concerned San Franciscans, Tiki freaks, Dionysians and Sybarites, midcentury fans, and rum aficionados; come one and come all to a gathering at Smuggler’s Cove (650 Gough St. San Francisco, CA 94102) on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 starting at 5:00PM to sign a petition opposing the demolition of the Tonga Room to make way for a parking garage and yet more luxury condominiums. After you sign the petition, stay a while and enjoy a fantastic rum cocktail or two while you mix and mingle with like-minded people and listen to Exotica under the soft glow of Tiki torches and beachcomber lamps. Around 6:00 PM, Chris VerPlanck and Erica Schultz of S.O.S. Tonga will provide a brief update on efforts to save the Tonga Room and exhort you to contact your local supervisors and the president of the Historic Preservation Commission, urging them to designate the Tonga Room as a local San Francisco Landmark. Mahalo!

For more information, contact Chris VerPlanck at [email protected]

T

I was just in SF and stopped by the Tonga Room a couple times. The maitre d' says they are taking reservations for the restaurant through next December but the axe could fall at any moment. The Mai Tais are as strong as ever and I didn't mind the band playing at 8:15pm so much.
I wonder if that's the last I'll see the place. A friend of mine who lives in the area says the developers are trying to say that no one really goes there anymore, just the occasional sad tourist, so why bother saving the restaurant, 5-star hotels don't have Tiki lounges, etc.

[ Edited by: tikifred 2010-05-24 07:52 ]

MH

San Fran folks, are you keeping track of the sfplanning.org website? An article just came out talking about the historical significance (legally defined) of the Tonga Room:

http://www.sfplanning.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=8121

Status of the Fairmont project is http://www.sfplanning.org/index.aspx?page=1828

Havent had time to read it in super detail but somebody went through a lot of effort to describe the historical importance of the Tonga room and I bet they are here on TC :wink:

Mr. Ho

T

I just got an email today from the city of San Francisco Planning Department that includes some information about the fate of the Tonga Room. I was on an email notification list because I wrote an email to plead for saving the Tonga Room.

There's pages and pages of information on the whole project but if you sift through the table of contents, it mentions that they rejected the plan to protect the Tonga Room and keep it where it is, but it sounds like they are going to relocate it somewhere else in the building, like under the new Ballroom. It's sort of hard to tell, because there are codes and numbers telling you where the information is on the Tonga but I don't understand it. The sense I get is that they are going to relocate the Tonga somewhere else in the hotel.

T

That's what our waitress told us when we were there a few weeks ago. Although she didn't know for certain, it sounded like the Tonga Room most likely would be relocated to the "new tower" of The Fairmont Hotel.

T

Well, I guess this means the end for the "lagoon" and the "thunderstorm" feature every half hour. Sad.

D

On 2010-05-24 07:50, tikifred wrote:
A friend of mine who lives in the area says the developers are trying to say that no one really goes there anymore, just the occasional sad tourist, so why bother saving the restaurant, 5-star hotels don't have Tiki lounges, etc.

Typical, total, corporate BS!

I made a few visits to the Tonga in summer of '08. Both nights I was there the place was hoppin', that's no exaggeration, and I don't even think it was on a weekend! The band was playing, and the bar and dance floor were full. Before that visit to the Tonga I couldn't recall the last time I was at something that wasn't a nightclub that had the dance floor filled with people of all ages. People were enjoying themselves and having a damn good honest time. Okay, that was a little over two years ago but I can't imagine that 'no one goes there anymore'. Please. Why do these suits insist on ruining a good time for people who most likely, they can't relate to. What are they going to turn it into? Some fancy-ass place for boring-ass people?

All I can say is that I'm glad I got to visit when I did. I made sure that I went more than once because, as we all know, these places vanish faster than you think.

I found this cool drink menu recently - the prices look '80s to me... this shows lots of the Tonga Room mugs I've seen out there.

We had a blast visiting the Tonga Room last weekend... I was treating it as if it was the last time I would ever see it (due to the seemingly inevitable closing). We were dancin' up a storm to the 70s funk the band was playing. I would've preferred exotica of course, but their music is still fun stuff (in that wedding reception kinda way).

Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-01-18 14:59 ]

Trad'r Bill

That is a great drink menu. I love the story about the ship the S.S. Forester that provided the materials for the interior decorations. Here is a postcard I have the really shows the ships masts and sails in the restaurant.

I wonder if the ship's skipper Otto Daeweritz inspired this postcard from the Tonga Room?

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2011-01-19 00:12 ]

Indeed a nice cocktail menu, sort of an Otagiri catalog of the time. I wonder what the "Sir Richard" was derivative of, or if it was an original creation.

T

Added a menu that goes with a matchbook posted earlier.

Taboo Dan, Trad'r Bill and others, thanks for the great posts of Tonga Room memorabilia! After seeing your posts I'm making plans to return in the next day or two.

I've lived in the bay area over 16 years now but only visited the Tonga Room once, a few months ago. I went Sunday evening at opening time which worked out very well. Parking was easy, they were playing recorded Hawaiian music and only a few other couples were there. The atmosphere was wonderful.

T

TropicDrinkBoy wrote:[/i]
Taboo Dan, Trad'r Bill and others, thanks for the great posts of Tonga Room memorabilia! After seeing your posts I'm making plans to return in the next day or two.
I've lived in the bay area over 16 years now but only visited the Tonga Room once, a few months ago.

Hey TropicDrinkBoy! Thanks!
Glad your on here checking things out and glad you like the Tonga Room!
16 years!! Get over there and enjoy it while you can!

Living up here in BC, we don't get to come down that often but the last time I was there we loved it! It was a bit before the remodel they had and we thought the place was amazing! The thunder and lightening with the downpour along with the drums is great!

They even had the wandering around photographer who takes pictures of patrons while on their visit and will make you pictures before you leave! I thought that was great! We ended up getting a Fairmont Hotel photo holder with a picture of my fiance and I at a table drinking from mugs and also a couple matchbooks with our picture on it.

It was quite an experience and we loved it. I remember staying there all through Happy Hour and then till after dinner. Great place!!

Since we are on the topic, here's a few more collectibles from the Tonga Room I've got.

Here's one of the Tonga's glasses that Trad'r Bill showed in his awesome menu:

This served the "Hurricane" and so obviously is called a Hurricane Glass.

Here's the menu again:

Here's a close up of the image:

Not sure of the age of these glasses but I would say late 1970's or 1980's like Trad'r Bill said about the menu.

This is a different version of one of their glasses:

I don't know what drink this served or if it served the Hurricane as well.

A little closer with a cloth so you can see graphic:

This glass is a little bit shorter than the one before.

Next we have the 3-Face Bucket Mug that served their "Mai Tai":

This is the tall and skinny version as opposed to the easier to find shorter and wider mug. There is also another version that is all glazed with the same color scheme as above.

Here is a neat and small bowl that probably served their "Wharfside Daiquiris":

It is very small and I don't see too much alcohol going in this by the time you have the ice! These do come in larger sizes from the Tonga Room. Has their marking along one side:

Next up with the mug that served their "Rangoon Ruby":

Marked on the bottom.

And here's picture of the two above mugs together to show the size difference:

The Ruby mug is not a big mug itself so you can sure see the difference.

And last up, I'll show the tall Drum mug again just because you can't see enough of these beautiful mugs:

I'm not sure what drink came in this mug. I always liked the bottom of this one because it says "Tonga at the Fairmont". Sounds like a dance or something!!

Anyone got one of these Drum mugs from the Tonga with the handle they can post here? That's another great mug from an iconic location!

That's it!
Mahalo, TabooDan

I'm impressed by the broad spectrum of mugs that the Tonga Room has offered over its many years of operation. I especially like the Rangoon Ruby and Drum mugs. Definitely not your typical Tiki mugs! Thanks for posting more of your Tonga Room collection.

I'm planning a three day weekend and will drop in the Tonga Room on a Friday at 5 for Happy Hour and the cheap buffet. I'll try to pick up a Volcano (Lava) Bowl while I'm there since their web site (www.tongaroom.com/gifts) claims they sell them. The first time I was there they didn't have any on hand that they could part with. I know it's not a collectable item and can be bought elsewhere but it will save me a few bucks on S&H if I can pick one up in person. I just hope I don't burn the house down!

L

Really love looking at the old photos of this place. One of the few bars I wish I could of seen in its "glory days". Wanted to add these shakers as well. There were lined moais posted previously but not these as far as I can tell:

Here is a picture from the Tonga Room circa 1970:

The kid with the glasses, 2nd from the right is the one and only Atomic Tiki Punk.

Jungle Ginger,

What a great old photo of ATP and the family, it's always nice to see the early moments of Tiki inspiration! Reminded me of this photo of me, my two boys and their Grandmother on their first trip to the Tonga Room for Happy Hour.

I found this old Happy Hour drink menu that somehow fell into my wife's purse on that visit. Some nice graphics and old photos on the cover.

DC

Popsugar currently have a great offer - 50% off a 3 course dinner and 1 cocktail at Tonga Room - 2 days left to buy the deal, which is valid until December 3... check it out!

http://bit.ly/lKiQIS

http://tradermagnus.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: Trader Magnus 2011-05-31 22:59 ]

I found this pretty cool shot of the Tonga Room sign, dated 1953. Gotta love those classic cars:

-Trad'r Bill

Aloha,

This is the Tonga Room calling all die hard tiki lovers!!!
We are gathering up all of the people who enjoy the Tonga Room and want to let you know how much we care about you all. Since you have been devoted fans of our establishment we have currently secured ourselves from efforts to close us down; and that with your help we are still running strong. If any of you have any questions about drinks, food, music, or where to find good company, don't hesitate to reply!!! Keep in mind that there is a secret Tonga society in the makings that will be our way of giving back to loyal customers like you.

Turning Moments into memories by keeping the Tonga spirit alive!

http://www.tongaroom.com/

[ Edited by: TheTongaRoom 2011-07-28 23:55 ]

Hi again!!

In between the thunderstorms over here we have been brainstorming ideas on how to give back to our loyal friends. We have decided that for the entire month of August all of our fellow Tiki Central members will not have to pay the cover charge at the door, and will be given %15 off the tab at the end of the night. Just make sure to say the secret password upon reservation/walk in to the host, to ensure you get your discount. The secret password is (Tiki Paradise) just be sure to keep it a secret amongst the tiki community so that we can offer further perks to you all.

Mahalo,
The Tonga Room

K

Sensational! Finally, people who seem to care about The Tonga Room itself!
I'll drop in next week and thereafter to sample your promotional style, and
you can expect me to become a founding member when you launch your
Secret Tonga Society. My very best wishes on reviving and stabilizing the
great old Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar.

kraken

K

Well, the magical month of August is over, during which
I stopped by The Tonga Room three times for grog & grub.

If any of the rest of us thus supported The Tonga Room
thrice, I will offer you the secret tiki handshake (when we
get around to inventing it). If anyone left me in the dust
by going four or more times, let me know about it so I can
pay you electronic homage. And anyone who came from
afar to patronize The Tonga Room even once deserves
more thanks than I can express.

If you're in the San Francisco area and you didn't bother to
offer encouragement and support by patronizing The Tonga
Room even once, don't offer us your thin excuses. Distance:
I come all the way from Martinez. Parking Cost: I rode BART
and Muni; sometimes even walked the Nob Hill leg. Time:
when friends wanted to get together with me I held out for
an evening at The Tonga Room.

Here's hoping that hordes of us stopped by to give the staff
new heart, and a little more cash in pocket.

Only twice for me: once for a party I hosted (where I met the very friendly voice of the Tonga Room's new social media ventures) and once for my sister's wedding's pre-party. Both times we had to scrounge for tables and mingle about but the staff was very accommodating.

K
kraken posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2011 2:10 AM

Two parties in August--Joshua, you leave me feeling a little
foolish for bragging about my own modest efforts. A few more
folks like us will easily put The Tonga Room over the top.

Hadn't heard about social media efforts by The Tonga Room.
Can you prevail on your new acquaintance there to let us Tiki
Centralites know what they're doing?

On 2011-09-03 02:10, kraken wrote:
Hadn't heard about social media efforts by The Tonga Room.
Can you prevail on your new acquaintance there to let us Tiki
Centralites know what they're doing?

The best pieces of evidence are the postings by the Tonga Room itself just a few lines up, hinting at things to come. The Tonga Room also has started tweeting a bit. I don't know if anything beyond that has happened yet.

H
harro posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2011 4:49 PM

We came from afar (Australia/Argentina) and visited the Tonga room a couple of weeks ago on our whirlwhind tiki-tour of the US. This place was a must on my San Francisco to-do-list. The atmosphere, decor and that awesome pool did not disappoint. The drinks and service kinda did but hey, that's not what I was there for. Hopefully it can survive for another generation to enjoy. Long live the Tonga room!!

AF

Here's a Fairmont Hotel room appetizer menu for the Tonga Room.

I just went to the Tonga Room for the first time a few weeks ago. The second Hurricane glass pictured in TabooDan's 2011.03.03 post, the one with the flowers on it, is their current glass. If you order a Hurricane it comes in this glass. The glass is apparently the only item the restaurant currently sells which has the restaurant name on it. They do have some other drinks served in tiki mugs and bowls but the mugs and bowls are all generic items (according to my waiter).

This seems like a business opportunity. There are so many talented and industrious people here on TC. I'm sure somebody here could design a perfect mug for the Tonga.

Aloha everyone! Just wanted to pass along a heads up.

Tonga Room is closed on Monday's & Tuesday's! Figured this out after hiking up from Union Square Tuesday afternoon doh!! Noticed more than a few thirsty souls hiking up behind us... :wink: will be back very soon!

When I went to the Tonga Room last month, our waiter gave me a bunch of these postcards. I think they're pretty nice.

That postcard is great! Going to have to get up to SF this summer and get me one.

Thanks for posting.

Lines out the door and now a postcard. We really need to get a custom mug going.

DC

Kenbo-Jitsu,

Thanks for sending me the new postcard, I appreciate that!

Saw these old items for the Tonga Room that are of interest.

Love the name of this band, the "Sol Bright and his Hollywaiians" with "Girlie Mcshane"!

And this menu shows a photo of a nice floor show. Glad that this place is STILL around. Don't forget to stop by and keep the Tiki spirit alive if your in town.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 122 replies