Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New cover version of the Tiki room song

Pages: 1 15 replies

Can this be true? My son just allerted me to this commercial on the Disneychannel that advertises "Disney mania", a compilation CD where Disney artists sing their favourite Disney songs: Aaron Carter, Ashanti....AND Hillary Duff (!?) singing "iIn The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room"...?
Sigh.

Nasty but this is nastier

http://www.ringtonejukebox.com/ProductAuthor.asp?AuthorID=266

you can dowload the tiki room song as a mobile phone jingle

It's true. Here's a longer thread about it:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1457&forum=5

And I mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again: There's a CD by Disney called "Mouse House" that has a macarena version of the Tiki Room on it which is HORRIBLE. Double sigh.

~Hanford.

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeewwwwww!!! All of this just props up what I've thought all along: That the Tiki Room Song, though blessed with superb Subject Matter in the Title, has No Business Being Played in a Tiki Bar! Actually... I don't like hearing it when I'm having any type of cocktail at all, which is a pretty strong indictment.

Hey Vic, I agree with you on those other versions, but personally I like the original song from the show at Disneyland. Although it's calypso and not exotica I think it would go well in a Tiki Bar every once in a while as a novelty. Everyone knows the song.

Disneyland and the Tiki Room have done a ton for Tiki, and keeping it in the minds of the masses.

Now, Offenbach is a different story...

~Hanford

Swanky's daughter informed us the other day that there's a Brittany Spears version out there.

EEEK!

On 2003-01-21 22:24, Traitor Vic wrote:
EEEEEEeeeeeeeeewwwwww!!! All of this just props up what I've thought all along: That the Tiki Room Song, though blessed with superb Subject Matter in the Title, has No Business Being Played in a Tiki Bar! Actually... I don't like hearing it when I'm having any type of cocktail at all, which is a pretty strong indictment.

You should have been in room 135 at the Tiki Oasis 2002.
When showed the video documentation, independent viewers express surprise at how acurately thirty drunken Tiki Centralites could recite the hymn, complete with birdcalls and lightning effects.

T

On 2003-01-22 00:13, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Hey Vic, I agree with you on those other versions, but personally I like the original song from the show at Disneyland. Although it's calypso and not exotica I think it would go well in a Tiki Bar every once in a while as a novelty. Everyone knows the song.

Disneyland and the Tiki Room have done a ton for Tiki, and keeping it in the minds of the masses.

Now, Offenbach is a different story...

~Hanford

You stay offa my Bach and I'll stay offa your Bach...

I do recall seeing scenes from the Tiki Room, of course, as a child here on the Eastern Seaboard. I found it fascinating (moreso than all of the rest of what I saw of Disneyland). I never heard the song too much, though, so it didn't leave that much of an impression.
Okay. I guess I'll let people play it in Tiki Bars as long as a whole bunch of Drunken Centralites promise to sing along... :)

You should have been in room 135 at the Tiki Oasis 2002.
When showed the video documentation, independent viewers express surprise at how acurately thirty drunken Tiki Centralites could recite the hymn, complete with birdcalls and lightning effects.

There was VIDEO that night?!?!?

Ah, jeez...

[edited by hanford to fix the quote]
[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2003-01-22 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-01-23 14:18 ]

T

Having been raised in the midwest, I have to agree with Trator Vic's east coast appraisal - the Tiki Room didn't mean squat to us kids east of the rockies.

Certainly, I have done my homework on all things Tiki over the past decade-plus, but I just can't muster any nostalgic enthusiasm for this tune.

I was still listening to Kiss and the Star Wars score!

That said, the appearance of it on a web site (linked to above) where you can BUY cell phone ring tones can not possibly be a good thing...

Yeah. I ain't crazy 'bout Cell Phones neither...

S

Dudes! You mean you haven't heard the Tiki Room Macarena?!!!

(I aint kiddin either!)

not to be a teen idol HATER...but UGH...that left a SACHARRIN taste in my mouth

How about High School Musical Tiki Style??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLAe1stnLw

Pages: 1 15 replies