Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

F

A great surprise today at one of our local charity shops. Jul met Yngve Stoor on Lani records 1971 Sweden. Great guitars and amazing Hawaiian songs with Scandinavian accent. Nice insert and a really catchy cover. All and all a sweet deal for 1 euro.

F
FranNL posted on Wed, Mar 4, 2020 5:20 AM

Some of my last charity shop finds:

After diggin' in crates and crates of bad Dutch music in a nasty charity shop in a small village in Zeeland I found this neat copy of Tabou Les sons exotiques d'Arthur Lyman vol.2 on Barclay records with an alternative cover art:

The Kalua's Hawaiian Hits LP on Dureco records:

On the latin side of exotica i grabbed this Latino! by Tino Esteves and The Americanos LP on Society records UK (1965):

On the Indonesia side I found this great 7" from Krontjong Ensemble Pantja Warna with a fantastic art cover on CID records I guess 1957:

Krontjongorkest Suara bintang baru Lp on Sunderland records a low budget Dutch record company:

Rudi van Dalm, Gordel van Smargd LP on another low budget Dutch company like Negram.

Latest finds

[ Edited by TheBoozehounder on 2022-04-06 23:46:10 ]

BB

Latest intentional addition: The Invitations R.S.V.P (Liberty, 1959)

Fell in love with their sound by happenstance when looking up various covers of Nani Waimea, which they absolutely blow out of the water! (Helped handily by the arrangements and orchestra of Russ Garcia) It's in near perfect condition. The only thing that could be better is if it were the stereo release!

20220621_19181720220621_19183020220621_19183520220621_191843

Listen Here

M

Thanks for the link! Nice stuff indeed, these guys really nail those Four Freshman harmonies.

K

Haven't done an update video in a while! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfctTZlzrjU&ab_channel=Kaiwaza

#302 in my series...yet there are still treasures to be uncovered.

K

Another addition of several Hawaiian records to the collection: #303 My Hawaiian Record Collection https://youtu.be/SJnQ6fm5_pk

[ Edited by Kaiwaza on 2023-03-12 21:40:57 ]

K

Just came across this one, never saw it before..."The New Music of the Philippines: Native Percussion Instruments" , orchestra under direction of Leopoldo Silos, c1964. These are all Filipino songs, but really sound quite like a Latin dance record with percussion. IMG-7448IMG-7450IMG-7449

Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but I have a Pinterest board with the artwork from all my Hawaiian and Exotica records. https://www.pinterest.com/luaucinder/my-hawaiian-exotica-record-collection/

Walter Pohakulani O'Kert was my great-uncle!

I agree, he wasn't the strongest singer. I still like listening to his album though. He would love that there are people who enjoy his music.

Thanks for this - couldn’t find anything from this album on-line, so hope to come across the vinyl one day. But some nice person did post another album by Leopoldo Silos (on the YouTubes) called “Off-Beat ChaChas” that pretty cool. Apparently all original songs, instead of the usual standards.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies