Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

Was that '45 supposed to go with the Ports of Paradise LP?

Who is the artist Alfred Newman?

I have never seen or heard of this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated (or a better pic of the '45).

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

That 45 flexi looks like one a those things Reader's Digest sent out in th 70's to get people interested in one of the many music compilations they put out then.
But if it actually came with the Ports LP originally then oooh I wannit.

Couple autographed contemporary finds -

• the latter is totally lounge, complete with "this song is for all you lovers out in the audience tonight...", which I've never heard outside of a parody, and a 9-minute disco rendition of "MacArthur Park". A very nice Hawaiian medley on this one, tho'.

Plus, from a while back -

that arthur lyman xmas lp is the GREATEST...makes me wish it were that time of year again...
but SCORED at the thrift today--33ยข for this SUPERSONIC LP

..and it is only VAGUELY country! and SEALED

T

Nice finds Psycho Tiki D.The Alfred Newman - Ports of Paradise is one FINE album.I believe I have this in both Mono & Stereo.I don't have the Flexi 45 though.What song(s) are on this 45?

Also,Jeff I think I might have a spare copy of this Lp if you need it.If I don't,I come across it all the time down here in Cincy and would be happy to pick up a copy for you.....Tiki-Tim

On 2010-02-15 17:10, Tiki-Tim wrote:
Nice finds Psycho Tiki D.The Alfred Newman - Ports of Paradise is one FINE album.I believe I have this in both Mono & Stereo.I don't have the Flexi 45 though.What song(s) are on this 45?

Also,Jeff I think I might have a spare copy of this Lp if you need it.If I don't,I come across it all the time down here in Cincy and would be happy to pick up a copy for you.....Tiki-Tim

Thanks for the offer Tiki-Tim, much appreciated.

I have a couple copies of this album myself but the '45 peaked my interest. I don't think this item came with the album.

It's even available now on CD.................

http://www.amazon.com/Ports-Paradise-Various-Artists/dp/B000HKCSWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266284628&sr=8-1

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2009-11-25 13:21, Kaiwaza wrote:

Hmmm, interesting... Check out the graphics on the album cover and on this book I just picked up.....

BTW, posted some cocktail recipies from this book here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35537&forum=10&0

On 2010-02-08 09:26, Jeff Central wrote:
Was that '45 supposed to go with the Ports of Paradise LP?

Who is the artist Alfred Newman?

I have never seen or heard of this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated (or a better pic of the '45).

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Here is a better picture. Not sure if this was slipped into the album cover or came with the album, but it is a promo from The Longines Symphonette Society "Presents excerpts from Hawaii Melodies From Paradise".

Definitely a promo.

PTD

New today...

Later,

PTD

OGR

Todays finds....

The Magic Islands has the cool booklet and is in the harder to find "STEREO"
OGR

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2010-03-14 15:44 ]

Last couple o' week's finds...

Later,

PTD

T

Wow! The Darts...
What a fun record... Glen Campbell and Leon Russell are both on that one :wink:

Cheers!
Tikgoob

T

Well, the local SPCA thrift got a LOAD of Hawaiian LP's in from somebody... Two big storage buckets worth filled with at least 3-350 albums, mostly smaller-label stuff on 49th State, Waikiki, Sounds of Hawaii, etc labels.
A lot of doubles, triples, even quad's in there (surprisingly no Lyman, Denny, Baxter items), and two trips later I had all this:

One by Alfred Apaka's son:

A Hawaii Calls box set (3 prev. released lps):

One of a series - unfortunately, I only got the one before the others were scooped by someone else:

And a Charles K.L. Davis young - and c.20 years later -

Many more back at the thrift, but much less intriguing fare & lots I already have. But most are in pristine condition.
Now to find time to listen to it all...

AND on an unrelated note and no I don't have it but it was just brought to my attention - a Sandy Warner cover from an RCA Camden release in like Paraguay or something, using the same image from a Bob Thompson release:

Thrift store finds from the past few weeks...

K

Twitch...talk about a freaking motherload..what a sale! There are some GREAT LPs there too. I especially love the Malekowa & The Trade Winds record.

Nice haul from the SPCA thrift and good you support them!

A couple I didn't have on my way home today...

Later,

PTD

new additions..all in ONE DAY..from an 84 yr-old deceased collector in Scottsdale..the Capitol New Exotica on the far right is AWESOME
btw Mele Kalikimaka is like the GREATEST Xmas LP EVAH..its the first to go on at my house when the season hits!!

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2010-04-24 13:58 ]

Love the Annette ablum you found...

Today's find as mostly repeats I will probably sell at my garage sale during the October Sacramento Tiki Crawl...

Later,

PTD

T
twitch posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 9:43 AM

Wow PTD - that looks like an almost mint cover on the Sumac Jivaro LP!

Here's another batch from that same SPCA thrift, with a few from a bi-annual record swap (still ain't seen anyone actually trade LPs at this thing...) thrown in.

• the Ia'Oe Ka La lps I re-found at the thrift in a far-off bucket on the other side of the room, so I now sort of have all three in the series (considerin there weren't more), but I say sort of as I found three copies of Vol.1, and all three had the Vol.2 vinyl in them! screw-up at the pressing plant, I'm guessing; and the George Kainapau is a nice little 10"...
    There's still around 10-15 albums there that I don't have - along with 2x,3x,4x copies of several of the other LPs I've posted - but I think I got my hands full already, since I haven't even started listening to any of these yet...

Which brings up a question for Kaiwaza - any suggestions to what albums should be heard first?!

(And a PS about the bi-annual record swap this time 'round: HUGE disappointment regarding any Hawaiian/exotica. Out of 10's of thousands of LPs and I came across maybe 10 total, and they were in the 'greatest hits' range of Martin Denny and Lyman. The few I got that were anything special came from one guy's collection from his garage that otherwise would've filled a few volumes of "Incredibly Strange Music" by RE/Search [and yes, I cleaned him out pretty good!])

Wow, 29 days since I posted pictures of records in this thread? Fridays are usually record browsing day for me...here are a few from today...some Island, some Rockabilly, some Surf and a couple of what the hells!

I recognize a couple of Stray Cats here, minus Brian Setzer?

Later,

PTD

Todays find at an indoor flea market, I looked thru about 2000 albums to find these 8. I passed on several others that had either poor condition covers or discs. The seller told me he had at least 20,000 more albums in storage and invited me out to take a look in the somewhat near future.
Im looking forward to going down to my bar tonight and giving these a spin. I've already listened to the "Melodies From the South Seas" Its a great record with that typical steel guitar sound that everyone identifes as vintage Hawaiian music.

Today's thrift store find. GREAT cover artwork on this one! I do believe the Wahine on top of the organ console is handing him one of those crazy left-handed cigarettes!

8T

yard sales goodies

Todays additions to my island music collection

A few from today I didn't have...

Later,

PTD

More found today...

Later,

PTD

I finally got around to doing something I have been thinking about for ages - working out how to display LPs. It's all very well framing albums and hanging them on the wall, but what happens when you get tired of looking at them? I wanted a way of displaying various LPs on a temporary basis, by artist or theme, so I could change them whenever I got sick of them. One piece of hardboard, 3 strips of plastic joinery (the sort you use for joining shower paneling together), and some superglue, and voilร ; a display board that can hold two rows of LPs:

Jan and Dean were last week's display. This week, it's Dick Dale:

Changing the covers is easy - all you have to do is slide the old ones out, and put new ones in. I take the records out of the covers first to prevent any accidents.

CN

S

Here are a couple of records purchased recently. I try and mix things up so as to fit any kind of mood here on the island. For example: Cry Freedom has some political undertones that perfectly soundtrack any prison escape, Herbie Mann makes for some good background cocktail lounge listening and To Sir With Love makes for some excellent late night detective work music.

This is a great thread...Figured I'd add in a few I've picked up over the last two or three weeks..

Richard Hayman: Voodoo
Harry Breuer: Mallet Mischief
Irv Cottler: Around the World in Percussion
Toucan Sam Takes You on a Listening Safari

Bobby Montez: Jungle Fantastique (If anyone has any info on this one, I'd love to hear it...)
The Blazers: Drinking Songs Sung Under the Table
Perez Prado: Exotic Suite of the Americas
Augie Colon: Chant of the Jungle (Found this yesterday...definitely made my week!)

K

A few recent interesting finds....
At the recent collector's expo I found this gem for just $2.00. It's quite an old LP, on the seldom seen MacGregor label called "Hawaiian Magic" by Al (Kealoha) Perry & His Singing Surf Riders...who would go on to have a long association with Webley Edwards "Hawaii Calls" programs & LPs. I've never even SEEN this LP before and was shocked to see it for for $2.00, but, hey..the tiki gods were smiling...:)

A few finds from ebay from Japan.
"Hawaiian: Harp"..easy listening renditions of Japanese pop tunes of the day, performed by a Hawaiian steel guitar combo & harpist.
"Newest Hits 14: Steel Guitar"...the Hit Kit Islanders review more of Japan's pop hits in Hawaiian style..but you gotta LOVE the LP cover picture here. Since this is vol. 14, I figured the other volumes MUST be various versions..like "Newest Hits 13..Cha Cha Cha" or something. Yet, on the inside (It's a gatefold) there are listing for other "Newest Hits" and there's another #14 with another title...could this mean there are at least 13 other "Hawaiian""Newest Hits" out there I've not seen before?!!

Finally, a few non-Hawaiian LPs that wouldn't be out of place in ANY tiki lounge...

"Memories Of My Caribbean Cruise" features the not-so-great "Caribbean Cruise Lines Orchestra..At Sea!" (Perhaps they were a bit sea sick. ) But the jacket art is worth the price of admission.

Finally, a nice old school latin dance orchestra who performed at the El Salvador Intercontinental Hotel. Intercontinental Hotels had a LP produced for each of their hotels inVenezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Mexico, Curacao, & Santo Domingo. I wonder if the used the same artist for the GREAT period artwork on all the LPs?

These are the albums I added to my collection over the past few weeks.

Just a couple of records with a little exotic touch.

T

Surf band covering all angles -

Close-up of Rangi's necklace -

And the Kui is a 3-LP set made up shortly after his death, his music, but sung by Gene Merlino, with the 3rd LP all spoken-word by Merlino as well.

Woops - those came out all different sizes, damn...

Today I went to a flea market and found these for $1 each.
A combo book and album!

Then on the way home I stopped at Goodwill and hit the mother load ..all these for 50 cents each.

And a friend gave me this one, He found it in a box of auto literature that he bought at auction.

Nice find USAF...Like The Waikiki's Moonlight on Diamond Head cover

Todays addition to my music collection.

Unfortunately it appears someone set a cold drink on Sandy's head on the "Silver Screen" cover

I really like this cover and I will be framing and displaying it soon.

Some from this weekend...

Later,

PTD

My latest hunting in the wild thrift store finds

Spanish Village - Martin Denny
Exotica III - Martin Denny
Afro-Desia - Martin Denny
Bwana a - Arthur Lyman
Call of the Midnight Sun - Arthur Lyman
Hawaiian Sunset vol.II - Arthur Lyman

K

So, when I bid on this LP on ebay, I only really glanced at it to make sure it wasn't a re-issue of an earlier Marcel Bianchi LP, a French steel guitarist that I have several LPs from. I didn't give it much thought & assumed the title "Disco Hawaii" just meant "Hawaiian Disc" or "Disc Of Hawaiian Music" or a generic title. It wasn't until it arrived in the mail, I opened it up & realized the copyright date was 1980, rather late for Bianchi, & it dawned on me.."wait, you mean....could they actually mean Disco Hawaii as in DISCO music??"
And sure enough, it's Marcel on Hawaiian steel with full on disco drum machine, and Salsoul Orchestra type arrangements of standards and several originals. Tres bizarre & wonderful. "Lahilahi Beach" is a new favorite of mine.

Today...

Later,

PTD

My latest wax:

AF

Been checking out this thread for a little over a year now, loving all the covers! I planned on posting a few of mine as well until my camera was stolen. I replaced the camera recently and although this somewhat more of find, I was so excited to find this LP, I felt compelled to post it here. Exotica on side A and jazzy lounge on the B side. You can get some Royal Tahitian history on this thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2233&forum=1&59.

[ Edited by: A frame 2010-10-07 17:52 ]

Before I go today, here are some recent finds...

Enjoy!

PTD

More today...

Later,

PTD

P

Ahh, just the Tahitian side of the collection, but it's a big love nevertheless. I'm not just in it for the covers...I do love the music on ALL of these.
Apologies for the crappy photography.

K

Too bad the virtual record player was taken down..:( I have a huge collection myself, but I am official jealous of an apparent budget label LP you have I have never seen before..."Hawaiian Shores"...I assume it's just a recombination of the "Luke Leilani, etc." studio recordings, but I love the jacket & have never seen that particular LP before..:) Great site.

K

A couple of interesting finds from a recent "Friends Of The Library" sale over Marting Luther King Jr. weekend.

Jack De Mello was a composer/orch. conductor who is well-known in Hawaii for taking Hawaiian music and recording highly orchestrated, kind of symphonic arrangements. He recorded several boxed sets featuring various periods of Hawaiian music, used orchestra/chorus recorded in England, with a few well known Hawaiian singers, mainly Emma Veary & Nina Kealiiwahamana. His recording always elicit a split reaction here...some people loved them, some people thought they lost all their "Hawaiianess" and become more like an Elmer Berstein soundtrack.
For some reason, in 1979, he travelled to Guam, studied the music, and recorded a 2 LP set of "Charmorro" songs set in the same symphonic arrangements he comimtted the Hawaiian songs to. However, this one must have been a major flop or was only sold on Guam, because until a year or so ago, I had no idea it even existed. Anyway, it comes with nice color booklet with lyrics (the LP is instrumental) and some pics. Best thing..I got it for $1.00.

Then, just a couple of "ethnic" Viking releases from Melanesia (Bamboo Bands) and The Solomon Islands.

I'd LOVE to have this aloha shirt...with Guadalcanal and other Melanesian islands on it...:)

It was a rather amazing "music centered" sale. There were (and I'm not lying) 1,000s upon 1,000s on LPs..at least 10,000-15,000. TONS of what is common Hawaiian here, but probably not where YOU are..:) They 2nd day everything was $1.00. The final day they were $10 for a huge cardboard box (the big kind that hold about 80-90 LPs)...I bought all my Hawaiian stuff on $1.00 day, and went back on $10 a box day for a box full of old Latin, Percussion, & interesting Lounge/Easy stuff...it was AMAZING to say the least.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies