Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

K

Recently purchased a VERY wonderful & strange LP..from 1968, Nick Nicholson & The Neketini Brass...playing Native Maori (New Zealand) songs after the fashion of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. I've always enjoyed the "tijuana" sound & all the cash-in groups that put out LPs in that style..and I do have Jack De Mello's Waikiki Brass, but I've never even HEARD of the Neketini Brass record and it's actually very well done..ole.

Today...

Later,

PTD

K

That Audition label "South Pacific" is one HOT cover. I have that photo in travel book and I've only seen the LP once or twice. Don't want to pay much for it as the LP is just a cheapo cash-in of the South Pafic musical numbers and I have azillion of those, but that's the BEST jeacket! I keep hoping it shows up for cheap at Goodwill or something one day..maybe..:)

I think that Tiki on the South Pacific cover was also used in a promo shot of Martin Denny and the band on the back of one of their album covers. Exotica vol.3 maybe? I'll check when I get home.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2011-03-08 21:26, Kaiwaza wrote:
That Audition label "South Pacific" is one HOT cover. I have that photo in travel book and I've only seen the LP once or twice. Don't want to pay much for it as the LP is just a cheapo cash-in of the South Pafic musical numbers and I have azillion of those, but that's the BEST jeacket! I keep hoping it shows up for cheap at Goodwill or something one day..maybe..:)

At some point I am going to sell of my record collection...simply put, I have accumulated way too many and am in need of a purge. Aside from some Denny, Lyman and Baxter and a few others (my "White Goddess" album) I will be downsizing, so keep that in mind if there was anything you have seen you are interested in.

Thanks,

PTD

Hey PTD,

Does this Polynesia album say where the cover was shot? Looks like a possible tiki bar like The Tikis.

DC

That was shot at The Polynesian in Torrance:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4379&forum=1&start=15

...and performed by the house band, The Polynesians. :)

On 2011-03-09 20:33, Dustycajun wrote:
Hey PTD,

Does this Polynesia album say where the cover was shot? Looks like a possible tiki bar like The Tikis.

DC

No mention...I will defer to Sven on this though!

PTD

A few from today...

Later,

PTD

TB

Aloha, y'all! I've been a lurker for a long time but finally signed up a couple weeks ago.

Took me about a week, but I went through all 23 pages of this topic, which was quite fun. I have a lot of these records, and want a lot I don't have. Here are some that I've recently scanned - mostly gotten since Christmas.

Most bizarre first:

Just finished listening to it for the first time. Cheesy, kinda Lawrence Welk style music. First side is Hawaiian music, second side is "inspirational." Includes Don Ho and The Surfers.

The rest of these are better. :wink:

cheers!
TikiBoys

BM

this also belongs in thrift store finds..a whopping 82 CENTS bought a lot of entertainment

..like a cross between Vic Mizzy and Lyman..the ADDAMS FAMILY goes on a luau...harpsichord version of QUIET VILLAGE..everything has ersatz bird and surf and jungle sounds..in other words its totally AWESOME

I know its a crap knockoff on a cheapass label (VIVA!!!) but it defies its crapulence with weird greatness

S

K

I really enjoy the "Lonely Harpisord" LP..it IS craptastic! It's rather like "luau night at Collinwood."

E

Tiki Boys, you have a collection I could really envy.

Repeat after me: Sons of Hawaii are the $hit, Sons of Hawaii are the $hit...

couldn't pass this "stag" album up....the verbiage kills me!
"the first to stick you in the ear with what you've always wanted to hear"

sadly (or not!), the "free genuine french tickler" (worth $2.00!) was not included. This was a little painful to listen to...retro, racy & raunchy! Funny, but a little too gross to listen all the way through. :wink:

"she craved sex 24 hours a day, and took it every way, with anyone, grocery boys, salesmen, bartenders, even bananas and carrots!!!"

yikes!

** oops, I guess this should be in beyond tiki. I never really checked this thread, but it looks like mostly hawaiian stuff.

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2011-06-13 15:37 ]

E

bigbadtikidaddy - you really ARE bad!

But probably not as bad as "Oral Roberts in Hawaii" now that I think of it. :D

E

Well, I got to feeling so blue about all that Sons Of Hawaii vinyl on shameless display that I went over to eBay, and a little while ago won this:

It's a box set of their album "Folk Music of Hawaii", with an LP, a 45, and a book. And the book is full of - wait for it - AUTOGRAPHS OF THE BAND MEMBERS, INCLUDING GABBY PAHINUI AND MY IDOL DAVID "FEET" ROGERS!

So I'm feeling bettah now. :)

I thought I was done...appartently not! A couple of strays at the end...

Later,

PTD

On the bloody morning afteeeeer.....One tin soldier rides away.

E

Psycho Tiki D, that is a FINE heap of vinyl. The jacket art on "More Cocktail Capers" is byooteeful!

Still waiting on my Sons Of Hawaii, thanks to the farging Canada Post strike which just ended yesterday. :P

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

[ Edited by: emspace 2011-06-30 13:51 ]

A few more today...

Later,

PTD

A few new ones to the collections

T

Picked up all these, some yesterday and some today!
Some great Vinyl on Tico

Some Funky Jazz!

More Jazz!

50's Rock N Roll!

And some various stragglers!

All N All, was a good weekend for vinyl! :)

Finally picked up a mint copy of this album by the Cavaliers at a garage sale this weekend. Every copy I've found in the past has horrible ring-wear that obscures the best part of the artwork - the Morgantown Tiki-Stem Champagne Saucers!

T

Nice!

On 2011-08-07 21:10, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Finally picked up a mint copy of this album by the Cavaliers at a garage sale this weekend. Every copy I've found in the past has horrible ring-wear that obscures the best part of the artwork - the Morgantown Tiki-Stem Champagne Saucers!

I've got that album because I love harmonica records and never noticed that before. Thanks Sabu! You have a great eye!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Some recent finds, all from New Zealand record labels (pardon the camera angle, which was due to lighting/flash problems):

Field recordings made by James L. Anderson, the American photo journalist who wrote the book "Cannibal". Includes jungle sounds!

A selection of performances from the 1st South Pacific Arts Festival, held in Suva in May 1972.

CN

K
kevzo posted on Thu, Aug 11, 2011 2:57 PM

Just starting to put my stuff up online check it out here . . .

http://www.kevzoart.com/vinylmain.html

Club Nouméa, thanks for posting that Passion Flower lp. I've never seen it before and they obviously used another photo from the same shoot as the Ferrante & Teicher "Pianos In Paradise" cover:

There's been discussion here before on whether the model they used was actually black, or another race in dark makeup, it being hard to tell with that fern and shadow obscuring her face. The Passion Flower cover finally reveals her true identity. She sure looks black to me. Although I suppose she could be Melanesian. What does everyone else think?

I think she's black, but with some Asian or South-American thrown in. The best Exotica girls were always of mixed descent:
Last night I saw Chinese-English actress Nancy Kwan at the Cinematheque - in person!

K

I noticed right away about that Passion Flower LP...same photo shoot as the Ferrante & Teicher LP. I would say she's black, probably Asian-Black mixed. I prever the Passion Flower pic & would love to come across that record one day.

K

in no particular order...

george never goes anywhere without his organ...

now that's livin'!

My latest acquisitions:

On 2011-08-12 17:01, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Club Nouméa, thanks for posting that Passion Flower lp. I've never seen it before and they obviously used another photo from the same shoot as the Ferrante & Teicher "Pianos In Paradise" cover:

Thanks for making that link. The back of the LP credits "Three Lions of New York" as the source of the photo. It does make you wonder how an independent record label in Auckland got its hands on that photo. Did they see "Pianos In Paradise" and contact the agency to see if they had any other photos from the same session?

The album itself is perfect tiki bar background music - ukulele and Hawaiian steel guitar accompanying songs in Cook Islands Maori. I was pleased to find it for $1.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2011-08-15 06:57 ]

K

Nice finds, Komohana. I'm curious about that "Magic Of Hawaii" LP by The Waikiki Beach Boys. I have all of their records, I THINK, but I'm wondering what the tracks from that LP are. I'm thinking it's probably the Aussie/UK version of one of the American re-issues, but I'm NOT sure..:)

K

ahoy Kaiwaza, back of cover...

track list...

K

Thanks, Komohana.....interesting....there are a few tracks on there from previous LPs, (unless they are different versions) but that's mostly a new LP...have to keep my eyes open for that! :)

DD
Dr DW posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2011 9:27 AM

On 2007-06-24 14:26, twitch wrote:
I could've sworn up 'n down there was already a topic covering this, but a relatively thorough search turned up nothing anywhere... Could be I saw it on the night my sweet tooth went crazy and I put away half a bottle of Sangster's Jamaica rum cream...
I'd like to see other collections up here, just so's I can get a look at what else is out there to hunt down (a lot)...
Too much to hamper down TC, so -
A Collection of Exotic Albums
(A good chunk of the images I had to upload to RYM myself)

Wow!!!

...AKA "Thirstin' Haole the 3rd"

http://rateyourmusic.com/~vonFrankenstein

[ Edited by: twitch 2010-03-19 14:49 ]

S

On 2011-08-24 14:33, socksoff wrote:

............................:-? :-? :-? (couldn't find an emoticon for "scratching my head")

E

komohana, nice scores! I just bought vol. II of the Hawaii Calls instrumentals last week on iTunes - but vinyl is ever so much cooler. Jules Ah See AND Barney Isaacs on steel apparently (had to throw in mandatory steel factoid).

bigbrotiki, I think the relevance of the socksoff disc is the "Pott Farmer" bit - some Hawaiian guy who grows pakalolo financed it. Just a guess.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

[ Edited by: emspace 2011-08-29 10:51 ]

Only one recent addition to my collection, I really wish the the cover was as interesting as the music.

T

This weekends finds.

I've been looking for this for awhile, and not only is it like new but it was cheap!

Al Kealoha Perry and his singing surfriders

Bings Hawaiian hits vol. 3
missing one 78 and one with a chip on the lip.

I hear this is terrific, but alas, my record player has, for months been buried under the contents of the collapsed shelves of my attic.

Been some time since I looked at records, but I found these today...

Later,

PTD

T

About 2 and a half years ago I found this record jacket but containing some bad German pop (?) music compilation. But yesterday I found the disk, one side minty the other scratched, for .50 cents.

now I have the album :)
All but 3 of the lps were .50 cents each and were found over the last 3 weekends, the next 3 are ten inchers.

now the lps

I grabbed the South Pacific for the great cover! haven't listened to it yet but the back jacket says it's recorded with a 1 to 3 echo delay... hum.

stereo

mono

aloha, tikicoma

K

Those are some GREAT finds Tikicoma! That Les Baxter "Que Mango" is pretty rare & fetches quite a good price when it shows up on auction sites..I'd hang on to that one! THe Martin Denny "Enchanted Isle" is rare as well! Outside of the Denny/Lyman/Baxter LPs, I Think that Phil Moore "Polynesian Paradise" and Milt Raskin's "Exotic Percussion" are two outstanding exotica albums. I think Phil Moore is famous in MY mind for creating what is probably the only somewhat "dark" rendition of "Blue Hawaii" I've ever heard..love it.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2011-11-10 02:45 ]

Aloha..
Some 45's for Instrumental Surf Music aficionados:

The Enchanters, Tum-Tiki. the flip side is Surf Blast:

Little Bob and his Electric Uke:

The Mixtures ... not really Surf but a nice Instrumental tune:

Mahalo,
HT

Wow, I knew of "Tum-Tiki", but never of "Tiki" by The Mixtures. Wonder what year that is from.

Here is another rare 45:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies