Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

On 2011-11-11 13:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, I knew of "Tum-Tiki", but never of "Tiki" by The Mixtures. Wonder what year that is from.

Just found out that The Mixtures 45 is from 1963.

The Mixtures were from Ventura County, California.

I'd love to hear that Tiki song, by the Mixtures.
if you could post it on youtube or somewhere.

edit:
I think I found it
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,7674629-21128566,00.html

thanks
Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-11-15 11:25 ]

On 2011-11-15 11:12, bigtikidude wrote:
I'd love to hear that Tiki song, by the Mixtures.
if you could post it on youtube or somewhere.

edit:
I think I found it
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,7674629-21128566,00.html

Jeff(btd)

yes, this is the song.

HT

M

On 2011-09-25 21:02, tikicoma wrote:

I just dl'ed this from http://thesleepylagoon.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00%2B01:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00%2B01:00&max-results=43
Dispite a hokey Hawaiian War Chant, it's classic quality exotica, but you'd better REALLY like bird calls.

Your Ray Kinney LP, probably w/the always awesome David Kelii on steel, is the real deal.

OK , now I know that Ray Kinney was also known as Hal Aloma :) I was looking at all my records for the Ray Kinney album that I didn't know I owned :lol:

So now some finds from the last 3 days
first the exotic

I have a few of the other surfmen lps but this is my first one of these

now an odd one, Hawaiian Reveries with Elden Chapman on the Lowery organ. This one sounds like he's playing the organ while riding a roller coaster, in a creative attempt to make the organ sound like a steel guitar.

to the islands,

aloha, tikicoma

K

Whoa, tikicoma...Ray Kinney and Hal Aloma are NOT the same people. Hal Aloma may have performed WITH Ray Kinney's Orchestra at times however. But Ray Kinnney was a vocalist...an Irish-Hawaiian. Hal Aloma, a Chinese-Hawaiian, was a noted steel player & sometimes vocalist.

T

Thanks Kaiwaza for correcting my mistake. I misunderstood another post I read (oops) but now I'm wondering what lp msteein was referring to when he mentioned my Ray Kinney album? Hawaiian Memories with Hal Aloma maybe? (I do have some Ray Kinney on a cd though). i appreciate your knowledge and that of all on Tikicentral.
aloha, tikicoma

C

some recent finds:

Untitled by Choptop32, on Flickr

C

this one has a nice booklet inside.

i picked up two copies of South Pacific in one trip... different covers...both just about pristine

AF

On 2011-11-11 13:21, bigbrotiki wrote:

Here is another rare 45:

Love the jeweled, off-set eyes of this Tiki!

MN

Some of my LPs.

C

A few more finds...

Not exactly tiki... but i couldnt resist the next few due to the music, the cover art or the condition (and mostly a combination of all 3)

this one looks NEW inside and out (what looks like smudges on the cover is just reflections)...

C

Here are a couple new thrift store finds...

Who doesnt like Oral in Hawaii? I mean really?

not exactly tiki, but one of the best album covers EVER.

C

more thrift store finds....

Even more records....

A break from the standard LP format. These are EP45s. Some in gatefold sleeves.

Just found these 78 rpm record albums over the weekend. I have a few other 78s in a box someplace.

C

a few more finds....

some 45 treasures..

and these arent "tiki" but they were too cool to pass up...

this one cuz... well everyone woman should learn to belly dance for her husband :D, plus the art work? Helllllloooooo Nurse!!!

and this one... cuz I didnt know that Little Richard had competition back in the day...

Yesterday I went through 20,000? LPs. This is most of what I came home with.

There are still 80,000+ LPs to go through.

S

K

The Friends of the Library Record & Book Sale was this weekend (10,000 LPS in warehouse at the piers...quite a site) & picked up a few LPs. I'm just posting those that I don't think anyone has posted pics of before.....

One of the two major languages of The Philippines, Carmelita Alburo offers those old Hawaii chesnuts Bula Nga Gagmay, Hidung-Gan Ko Ang Imong Awit, & Kinhason Sa Baybayon among others (That would be Tiny Bubbles, Blue Hawaii & Pearly Shells.) I should mention I also have the companion LP, Hawaiian Songs in Ilocano, the OTHER major Filipino language.
[Ming MLS-5286,Philippines, nd].

"Punaauia Beach Place" by the Tahitian group "Tamarii Punaruu." Those records coming out of Tahiti in the 1970s had some great vibrant covers & this one is no exception. Sadly, I didn't realize until I got it home, but it has a different LP inside the jacket (that I have already) by the same group...oh well. [Mauiti/Tamure Records 3001, Tahiti]
UPDATE: I went back on the final day of the sale (when LPs were $5 a BOX...and found the correct LP in another jacket..so I did end up with the right LP..:) )

"Call Of The Pacific", a sampler by various artists from Hawaii, Tahiti, Rarotonga, etc. I like the cover. [Salem, XPS 5052, New Zealand]

This one's interesting, but I haven't listened to it yet. On Kauai island is a sort of combination botanical garden & cultural theme park called "Paradise Pacifica" and apparently, in the 1970s, their entertainers went to Berkeley for some sort of "Columbia Artists Festival." These are selections of the complete "Polynesia!" program performed there...a collection of songs/dances from the various Polynesian islands.
I must say, this is the first time I've ever come across ANYTHING from Paradise Pacifica other than a post card.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2012-03-28 14:19 ]

Can someone tell me something about this Oscar Brand LP? Did some thrift store shopping today and came across it. Bought it cause it ha s a really cool cover. Typed his name in the search and it brought me to this thread so I figure its here somewhere just have not found the info.

Also came across this cool James Bond LP which i've seen on here.

Oral Roberts in Hawaii.

Now I've seen everything.

S

On 2012-06-17 21:10, forgotten tikiman wrote:
Can someone tell me something about this Oscar Brand LP?

what kind of info are you looking for? it's produced by jac holzman. released by elektra in 1959. check mr brand's official website right here, and maybe, send him a note telling him what a righteous cover he's got

http://www.oscarbrand.com/

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.