Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

Yup, you got it! It's a small world, after all. :)

Scored a few albums yesterday:

T

Found these two on Saturday.

:D :D

V

Nice finds.
Hypnotique's my favorite Martin Denny's.

T

Just picked these two up on Sunday, yup even on Sunday smut is being sold. :lol:
I was hesitant about putting them up for fare of someone thinking less of me, but oh well, think what you will and hopefully these won't get me thrown out of here, but they are quite nice cheesecake.
covers.

Notice how the Stag Party Record was originally sold with the piece of tape covering the woman's breasts. But not so on, The UNCENSORED Humor Of Bert Henry.

Tikis aren't my vice....MUSIC IS!!!

My record collection (started in '66) has nearly 3,000 lps.
but what might be a bit more impressive is that for the last 19 years I have averaged purchasing a CD every 19 hours.

does it get any cooler than this ?

( yes I know ,nudity is cool too !)

Hey, these 4 records need a new home.

PM me if you have a suitable hut.

If you know how to convert to high bit mp3 or WMA, they can be yours.

Just send me postage to cover shipping them (about $8 to $10.00 USPS priority mail) after you get them.

I will be at Trader Vic's in Emeryville tomorrow night (Oct 22) if you want to save on shipping, we can work something out to spread the Aloha.

They are in mediocre to good condition, however I've never played them to check the hiss or pops.

T

Picked up this LP from a local thrift for fifty cents just for the cover, then realized it was on Waikiki records when I got home. Still has the original Waikiki inner sleeve, too.

Then I noticed it had mostly songs by Pua Almeida who I have another album by, along with an autograph in the upper left corner -

by his wife, Leilani!

And coruscate - I been looking for that Powerhouse for years! I'll have to find it local, tho'. Sure wish shipping rates never went up...

...AKA "Thirstin' Haole the 3rd"

[ Edited by: twitch 2008-10-21 22:18 ]

hSweet score on the signed LP twitch, love dis thread.

Today I started my “Vintage Tiki, Exotica & Lounge” music collection with a trip to the local used vinyl store armed with a list from my education by Cocktail Nation & Quiet Village’s Podcasts, thanks guys.
I wasn’t expecting to find much on the list but… I came home with a few finds…

Taboo & The Shadow of Your Smile – Arthur Lyman
Quiet Village & Forbidden Island – Martin Denny
Inferno – John Buzon Trio
Cugat Cavalcade – Xavier Cugat
Cinerama South Seas Adventure Sound Track
South Pacific/Songs of Hawaii

Man I was surprised and they all play well just the normal clicks/pops.
Sad thing was I had to leave a few behind not enough $$$ they even have some Jackie Gleason LP’s. Oh well next payday….

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2008-11-26 21:54 ]

Killed some time today at the LP store again today and added these to my growing collection.

Exotica II - Martin Denny
Hypnotique - Martin Denny
Hawaii Tattoo - Martin Denny
Hawaiian Sunset - Arthur Lyman
Bahia - Arthur Lyman
Bongos Bongos - The Los Admiradores
Jackie Gleason presents Velvet Brass
Fascinatin' Rhythm Tony Bennett & Gene Krupa

My other half is just shakin her head....
But at least she thinks it better than "That Damned Soca/Carinaval Music you like".
Now to sitdown and start converting these to CD.

You won't know if you don't GO!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2008-11-30 21:45 ]

When all else fails, look through the LP's. Didn't know whether to post these here or in Tiki Music, so here we go! Today's finds...

"Eddie Lund Presents...Bora Bora".

Another copy of "Hawaii Calls" with the "Hilo Hawaiians-Honeymoon in Hawaii". Nice booklet inside.

"Your Musical Trip Around The Islands Of Hawaii with the Hilo Kalimas".

"Eddie Lund Presents...Salut A Aitutaki-Ovec Saloman et le Groupe Tiare Tahiti avec Loma".

"To The South Seas with Eddie Lund and his Tahitians Featuring Mila Spitz".

"Tahiti Dream Island".

"Auntie Alice Ku'uleialohapoina' ole Namakelua".

"Hula Blues". Various artists.

"Tahiti Fete".

"The Beat of Tahiti". Various artists.

"Jesee Kalima Sons & Sonny Waiau".

"Just Like Old Times-The Ho'oipo Trio".

"The Best of Tavana's Polynesian Spectacular".

"30 Hawaiian Favorites".

"The Romance of Hawaii-Webley Edwards and Hal Aloma".

"Hawaiian Wedding Song-The Polynesians".

"Hilo Hattie-My Hawaii".

"Alania-Tina Kaapana with Hui Ohana".

"This Is Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawaii".

"Eddie Lund Presents...Aparima et Otea".

"The Immortal Hawaiian-Alfred Apaka".

"In Hawaii-The Story Starts".

"Hawaii Calls: Favorite Instrumentals of the Islands-Presented by Webley Edwards".

"Lahaina's Fabulous Emma Sharpe and her Entertainers".

"Hawaii...Receipe For Romance". A Hawaiian receipe album with music!

"Hoi Hoi-Na Keonimana"

"No Kristo-Makaha Sons of Ni'Ihau".

"Na Mele Hawai'i No Na Keiki-Hawaiian Songs for Children"

Later,

PTD

:o :o :o :o :o

Nice haul there Psycho D!!!!!

That Eddie Lund album looks very interesting. I love the graphics too!!!

Happy Listening!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

B

I love it when somebody dumps all their Hawaiian/ Exotica (or Jazz) LPs at the local thrift. Great score. Many of those I have not seen or heard. I used to find a lot of lps and Aloha shirts. Few and far between in the last couple years. Salvation Army has closed 3 stores in Ventura County over the last 3 years. Only 2 left.

A few to add to the collection for a trip to the Goodwill.

And the growing collection of my Exotica and Hawaiian Vinyl
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=122

BK

Scored a few LPs this weekend:
Dick Dale Hot Rod LP:

Very hip James Bond LP with great Bond-girl artwork:

And this kool Pachanga LP. I know this chick is probably in a nursing home by now, but damn! Ooops! Cold shower time again!

Big Kahuna,
1st there are only 1 or 2 songs on that LP that are by Dick Dale, the rest is another band.

I have that 2nd LP, cool find,

and wow yeah that 3rd one is nice,
I dunno about a cold shower, but
thanks for sharing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BK

Kool! I like sharing!

BM

this is a two parter cuz I been too busy painting but...
heres the device....Magnavox Console Colonial style...purchased for $15 right when CDs took over...

and heres ONE aspect of my collection..more tomorrow

well..I am sure you are all BREATHLESS with anticipation..as you should be (har)...
First of all ...I would guess that 95% of these were under a DOLLAR..the first ones
were 10¢ a piece and that would be Quiet Village & Taboo..we bought these as PUNISHMENT music
and ended up LUVING them..of course that was at least 20 years ago...but I can honestly say the
one I spent the most on is the Augie Colon and it was 9 bucks off ebay..but most are happy
Goodwill finds either in UT or AZ
I HAVE to start with the DENNYS

..then progress to the LYMANS

the BAXTERS

..and the ESQUIVELS

..and finally..the RANDOMS..of which the Beachboy Party was a particularly excellent find ...for a QUARTER

as was TWO copies of the Sandy Warner LP..one of which sold for like 30 bucks on ebay..but these are my KEEPERS

there are a few more strays scattered about..like the OHTA SANS and the Elizabeth Waldos..but what you see FITS in the stereos' storage compartment so it is the ANNOINTED LOT

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2009-03-11 09:25 ]

T

Gad, after Psycho's & BBD's posts I'm almost embarrassed to put mine up - but here's a few from the record swap a coupla weekends ago:

Comedian Kent Bowman -

Paid $10 after searching for this for years, then found it 2 weeks later at the record show for a dollar:

WARNING! This is not a surf album!:

It's actually jazz, in the vein of Mancini, "Peter Gunn"-type crime-jazz. No, it wasn't the wrong LP inside, either. Very, very weird. So if you see it & want some surf tunes (and not jazz), leave it be.

And finally - out on Vancouver's Hei Tiki records

...AKA "Thirstin' Haole the 3rd"

http://rateyourmusic.com/~vonFrankenstein

[ Edited by: twitch 2009-04-17 10:17 ]

Twitch,

Wow, you scored big time. I picked up four albums today, but I usually post them over on tiki finds, guess I really should be posting them here?

PTD

T

Actually, yeah - I should've put this in 'Tiki finds'. Then leave this thread for the collections.
I kinda forgot about the finds thread since I never find anything tiki (except the vinyl kind)!
I'm gonna stick 'em there from now on in.

Lemme tell you a SAD story about my awesome console and sweet German and Hawaiian LPs.

Moved out of my folk's cabin in Big Bear about 15 years ago. Told them I'd be back for the console & records. They SOLD the cabin with all my booty in it!!

So sad. Sobbing now.

I think I also left an unopened bottle of rum....

I can't begin to call myself a "collector" especially after seeing so many awesome and vast collections. I am more of an LP cover lover of the 50-60's genre. I am so impressed by the collections out there! However, I thought I would share the way I display some of my collection. I rotate them out from time to time just for fun, I like to see how long it takes my husband to notice when a new one appears. I have several groupings throughout the house of various themes, this living room grouping is the largest (I have a very patient husband who also appreciates the cover art). We have our turntable hooked up to our surround sound system and love listening to the albums. I'm still on the hunt for that perfect console. I am still stunned by your beautiful collections and the awesome photography. I need record buyers annonymous! :)

Thanks for letting me share. I'll post some of the other rooms later.

"The gods have been angered by all the celebrating"

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-04-18 09:09 ]

On 2009-04-17 18:35, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Lemme tell you a SAD story about my awesome console and sweet German and Hawaiian LPs.

Moved out of my folk's cabin in Big Bear about 15 years ago. Told them I'd be back for the console & records. They SOLD the cabin with all my booty in it!!

So sad. Sobbing now.

I think I also left an unopened bottle of rum....

Hau 'oli Tiki....I didn't mean to ignore your post! This is a tragic story I am crying with you. :cry: I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you. ...and the bottle of rum how did you ever fiind the strength to go on?

OK, Bewitched! More posts & more close-ups, please.

Bewitched by Tiki, very awesome display. I have been working on my "Wall of Exotica" as I call it for the last 2 years. I am about a month away from the unveiling. The idea is an entire wall covered with vinyl Exotica, Lounge, Hawaiian, and Surf music. I have been framing all the LPs in frames I've gotten from Michael's. It looks like you've framed your LPs before putting them on the wall? Any tips to pass along? I've been planning on laying out a grid on the wall and then putting a screw in an anchor for each LP.

you guys are BRAVE..I have a wife that puts the brakes on such things...says TOO MUCH TIKI cannot be abided...all mine are encased IN the console

On 2009-04-18 13:42, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
Bewitched by Tiki, very awesome display. I have been working on my "Wall of Exotica" as I call it for the last 2 years. I am about a month away from the unveiling. The idea is an entire wall covered with vinyl Exotica, Lounge, Hawaiian, and Surf music. I have been framing all the LPs in frames I've gotten from Michael's. It looks like you've framed your LPs before putting them on the wall? Any tips to pass along? I've been planning on laying out a grid on the wall and then putting a screw in an anchor for each LP.

Thanks so much! I have another grouping of mostly drummers from the 50s in my music room (since I'm a drummer too), probably a bit ridiculous but I love looking at them. We have them in the bedroom too (all Disneyland theme). Mine are also in frames from Michaels! The longer section of the wall is plaster we mapped out a grid with a chalk line with a 1/4 space in between the frames. My husband marked a short level so all he had to do was just keep moving the level over and marking, cutting down on the measuring. Visually we prefer them being hung closer together. We used one nail and just hung them individually centered on each nail. Not extremely secure but we have never had one fall. The shorter wall is actually an old fireplace that we plastered over. For that one my husband cut and painted a piece of 3/4 plywood, this way we only had to drill into the plaster and brick for 5 holes to stabilize the large plywood sheet. Did the same chalk line grid and this time decided to use 2 nails spaced about 6 inches apart a much more stable way to hang. There is some finessing involved when hanging so many squares next to each other. I don't know how large of any area you are planning but you could consider hanging a 3/4 sheet of painted plywood cut to fit the number of albums and just mount that to the wall. We found the 3/4 inch is deep enough to hold the nails we used. That is the only other thing to consider is the length of the nail. I wish you good luck with yours and I can wait to see it posted. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or shot me an email. Yaaay record cover lovers!!

On 2009-04-18 08:59, Bewitched By Tiki wrote:
I can't begin to call myself a "collector" especially after seeing so many awesome and vast collections. I am more of an LP cover lover of the 50-60's genre. I am so impressed by the collections out there! However, I thought I would share the way I display some of my collection. I rotate them out from time to time just for fun, I like to see how long it takes my husband to notice when a new one appears. I have several groupings throughout the house of various themes, this living room grouping is the largest (I have a very patient husband who also appreciates the cover art). We have our turntable hooked up to our surround sound system and love listening to the albums. I'm still on the hunt for that perfect console. I am still stunned by your beautiful collections and the awesome photography. I need record buyers annonymous! :)

Thanks for letting me share. I'll post some of the other rooms later.

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-04-18 09:09 ]

Thanks for posting your incredible display Bewitched by Tiki!!!

It definitely shows your passion for this long lost artform known as the Album Cover. Hopefully it will make a triumphant return with more vinyl hitting the stores these days.

I've done two complete walls like this in my basement and it never ceases to amaze people.

I can't wait to see the other rooms!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I confess: This record collection does not have any Exotica covers in it, nor any Hawaiian covers, it isn't even one TC members collection:

It is a group show comprised of several collections. Let's see if you can fathom its theme:

You guessed it! An exhibition of religious album covers:

Eat your heart out, Incredible Strange Music album collectors!

They even had a wall for children and ventriloquist dummy religious records only:

Here are a few more classics:

Here are some of my albums that I have framed and that are ready to mount on the wall -

I will post some more later.

Aloha, Big Bro Tiki ... OH my God I am laughing so hard at that collection. I would love to check that one out. "The strategy of penetration"? Nice double endendre there! That is too much. Where is it? I can't tell how they had the album covers affixed to the wall? Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Khan Tiki Mon I love your framed albums. I just love those covers aren't they awesome! I love Hawiianette! Where are you planning on hanging them? Will it be one large display or do you have a few areas you will be using? Please post pictures once they are up if you don't mind!!
Thanks,
BBT aka Carrie

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-04-19 21:31 ]

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-04-20 07:24 ]

BBT aka Carrie, my albums will be posted on one wall in my Tiki Lounge. The plan is to start at the top with the true Exotica; Baxter, Denny, and Lyman. Then as you move down the wall Hawaiian and Lounge - and finishing on the bottom with Surf records. KTM aka Scott.

On 2009-04-20 05:42, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
BBT aka Carrie, my albums will be posted on one wall in my Tiki Lounge. The plan is to start at the top with the true Exotica; Baxter, Denny, and Lyman. Then as you move down the wall Hawaiian and Lounge - and finishing on the bottom with Surf records. KTM aka Scott.

Excellent I like that you have planned out a organizational map so to speak. I can't wait to see it! It is so nice to meet people this way who have a true appreciation for this lost art of album covers. :)

My grandfather was a member of "The Polynesians", so I mostly just collect those albums for sentimental reasons. But I have to tell you, it does my heart good to see how many of you have LPs by "The Polynesians in your collections! So..mahalo for that!

Thanks for posting that Weird Religious Cover collection Bigbro!!!

Man, I wished I could have met the person that collected all those. That obsession borders on madness!!!

I used to have that God is a Killer album!!!

The "Strategy of Penetration" though is about as funny as "Come Visit the Big Snatch"!!!! :) (No I'm not kidding).

This thread is AWESOME!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-04-20 14:17 ]

On 2009-04-20 07:24, Bewitched By Tiki wrote:

On 2009-04-20 05:42, khan_tiki_mon wrote:

Excellent I like that you have planned out a organizational map so to speak. I can't wait to see it! It is so nice to meet people this way who have a true appreciation for this lost art of album covers. :)

My parents had a HiFi console. They had a box set of LPs from something like Time-Life that was supposed to be all the music you would ever need. Too funny. I remember one of the pieces was the theme from “The Magnificent Seven” by Elmer Bernstein. They also had one other record. That was Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass “Whipped Cream and Other Delights”. That I thought was very cool. That LP got played a lot by me. I bought my first LP in the early 1970s. It was Led Zeppelin III. The cover opened and there was a wheel that turned. Too cool. Over the next 2 decades I would amass a record collection that numbers in the thousands (I think about 2,500). I bought a few 45s in the day but not very many. I think, for me, the paper sleeve that came with the 45 couldn’t compete with the artwork on the LP and that whole package (I did like the little plastic adapters required to play the 45s on the HiFi). I think the album cover art was a large part of the whole record experience. Can anyone, of a certain generation, hear something from the Rolling Stones “Sticky Fingers” and not have the album cover come to mind. That’s true of so many of the classic LPs. I love music and my tastes have always been eclectic. I have rock, folk, progressive, jazz, grunge, new wave, lounge, Exotica, punk, bluegrass, rockabilly, emo, Irish, Latin, and more. Mostly how I listen to music now is on a CD. I don’t have any MP3s yet. For an old guy I’m usually a pretty quick adopter of new technology but I haven’t made the leap to the IPod and the like yet. Digital music is a different experience. I can remember a friend would call up, “Do you want to hear the new Chick Corea album?” And you would have to go see the friend. And hang out. Put the LP on the turntable and pass the album cover around. Today you can send a text with the file attached and you don’t even have to see anyone. I’m probably being too nostalgic.

I have this book from the 1970s on record album art. I’m sure there have books since this one. Lots of famous artists, like Andy Warhol for one, did record album covers.

On 2009-04-20 08:42, TikiShopPua wrote:
My grandfather was a member of "The Polynesians", so I mostly just collect those albums for sentimental reasons. But I have to tell you, it does my heart good to see how many of you have LPs by "The Polynesians in your collections! So..mahalo for that!

Wow how awesome! Are you musical as well?

Hi fellow record lovers. I went ahead and posted an album to my facebook with a close up of each of the albums hanging in my living room along with some brief notes. I'll add a few shots of the music room and my disney display as soon as they are finished. I didn't want to clog up poor Tiki Central with 60 close ups so you can check them out here if you want. Thanks!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2022794&id=1368375928

I have a small bunch of records (not tiki) that I am going to take to Goodwill, quite a bizarre mix of genres, mostly 50-60s. I'll be happy to email you photos. Most of these I have never listened to, but if anybody wants one or all I'll be happy to give them to you. PM me and we can figure out shipping info or pick up details I would only ask to be reimbursed if I need to mail them out. :)
Thanks!!

Ok These are spoken for. Thanks TikiG it was so nice meeting you.

[ Edited by: bewitched by tiki 2009-05-07 09:57 ]

[ Edited by: Bewitched By Tiki 2009-05-07 16:51 ]

Coupla more LPs added to the collection this week:

The local NPR station was having a record sale today...

Picked up 59 Denny, Lyman, Baxter and Hawaiian albums and didn't even scratch the surface looking through the boxes!

PTD

Great score!

Have fun listening to all of those records!!!

On 2009-06-27 17:33, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Keep us in the loop, won’t you?

On 2009-06-28 13:08, Kawentzmann wrote:

On 2009-06-27 17:33, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Keep us in the loop, won’t you?

O.K.

25 more found today...finally found my copy of Lyman's "Yellowbird"

Anyone want to see pictures of each one I found?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-06-28 14:46 ]

You know I do!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies