Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Show us your record collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies

Love this back cover photo

Scores from this weekend's Austin Record Convention:

They ranged between $2-10 each which is the most I'm usually willing to pay for Hawaiian or Exotica records (Gene Rains, Paul Conrad and Robert Drasnin being the exceptions and my top wants at the moment). It amazes me how many dealers were asking $20-50 for super common Martin Denny and Les Baxter records that they most assuredly returned home with.

And here are some recent thrift store finds all for $6 and under:

Some recent finds: NZ picture sleeve EPs dating from the late 50s to the early 60s, including 3 from Wellington's Viking Records label. The first two are by Eddie Lund & His Tahitians:

Loma & Her Polynesian Playmates (produced and arranged by Eddie Lund):

And one from Astor Records, an Auckland label. This EP looks like it would have been an in-flight souvenir on TEAL's flights from Auckland to South Pacific destinations all the way to Tahiti:

The earliest known tiki mug: "Ruru and Weku", designed by Harry Hargreaves of Crown Lynn, New Zealand, 1949.

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2016-06-27 06:01 ]

BB

I'm pretty sure I've got more albums that would qualify buried in my stax o' wax, but these are the lion's share of the Hawaiian, Lounge, and Exotic discs in my collection - including my most recent unearthings:

BB

Grabbed this copy of The Romantic Lure of Hawaii by the Surfmen yesterday. Sad to report that the disc is roached. It sounds like someone tried to play it with far too much tracking weight, several times over...

AAA

Keep that sleeve. They are flimsy and hard to find intact. The record is really common so you'll find it again. So once you get a copy with decent vinyl your set.

BB

A bit of good news - the record's not as far gone as I thought. I gave it a second good (gentle) scrubbing. That seems to have loosened the gunk causing a lot of the groove noise. Probably smoke residue if I had to hazard a guess. It's still roached, but at least it's almost listenable now.

S

Just picked up this little gem. Sleeve is kinda beat up, but I couldn't pass up the price.

99 cents at a thrift. Looks like it was never played before. One I didn’t have.

99 cents at a thrift. Looks like it was never played before. One I didn’t have.

BB

Today was a good day:

K

A couple of recent finds, with tikis on them no less.

BB

Here's one for the Floridians out there. Recorded 100 years ago today!

Irving Kaufman - In Florida Among the Palms (22-8-1916)
(played on our 1914 Victrola VV-X)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rjqxmc5k456rl8n

Even before the end of The Great War, people were yearning for the tropics...

Longtime lurker, first post—Aloooha all! SO so many great records here, many I have and many more I envy/want.

That said, it's been a good year for new releases. This Spring/Summer I've freshened up ye olde Hi-Fi horde with this quartet of "new" LPs:

top left: V/A - Taboo - An Exploration Into The Exotic World Of Taboo Volume 1 = 9 versions of "Taboo" on 10" wax

top right: V/A - Voodoo Party Vol. 1 (reissue) = dark/mysterious Caribbean jazz/calypso/jungle exotica, it's all over the place with animal sounds, bwahwah horns, sensual strings, ritual drum descriptors, and etc. hullabaloo

bottom left: V/A - Wild Boy: The Lost Songs of Eden Ahbez = worth it for the unreleased tracks and for Arthur Lyman's version of Eden's Island (I don't have the Lyman LP that includes it)

bottom right: Elvis Presley - Way Down in the Jungle Room = the 2LP only features the "takes" and not the final tracks (I think the CD version has both?). Anyway, the takes are where it's at for the ambiance alone because it activates top-level escapism for especially tuned-in listeners. I mean, we all want to be there, right?

[ Edited by: diamondshoals 2016-08-27 15:05 ]

[ Edited by: diamondshoals 2016-08-27 15:07 ]

H

Haven't had a chance to liste to this yet, bought it yesterday at Goodwill.

K

A few recent finds...kind of swingin' 70s resort hotel band stuff...

And this rare beauty, the soundtrack of an Italian film, "Ti-Koyo & The Shark."

H

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2017 4:17 PM

Found this Reader's Digest collection in one of the local thrift shops this weekend:

It also contained "liner notes" from the former owner, who rated each track based on whether it was appropriate for ballet dancing. It appears that very few are.

T

Hamo, now that's funny, I actually laughed... it felt good! I've never felt the urge to pick up that box set but if I'd seen those notes I might have given in! Before you posted it was 3 months to the last post so I'm going to double up today. My Exotica/Hawaiian record collection 300 lps or there abouts.

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2017-01-30 20:58 ]

H

Goodwill finds.

Bought this Martin Denny vinyl even though there were a lot of scratches all over, fortunately it plays real nice and I really like this record.

Listening to this 1
Trust me
Get it

This also
Get it too
:)

BB

A good day at the Goodwill. The Warehouse album is a bit of a surprise find.

I have 3 De Wayne Fulton Goodwill finds and they are all autographed. I'd guess most of them are.

K

A few more recent finds of interest for one reason or another....
I recently said in one of my videos that I didn't get "south Pacific" Broadway Musical/Film records unless they were super cheap because they didn't interest me all that much. After having said that, I find myself searching them out...but still only for cheap. I can't even tell you how much I love the Polynesian elf/rag doll/whatever on the cover.

This is an AMAZING cover, but the cover is the only thing to be excited about. Otherwise it's Japanese steel player, Pozz Miyasaki playing 1960s movie themes/pop hits on steel, not exotic at all. But, man...that cover...

This was a fascinating 2 LP set "The Breeze & I" I picked up at recent collectors expo for $2.00. It's a Japanese koto being featured, with orchestra & steel, one half Hawaiian songs, one half Latin numbers. Really excellent arrangements.

I didn't know what to expect from this private pressing LP, but Lowell KIesel's "Hawaii", (of Kiesel Guitars fame) is quite interesting. Electric Hawaiian steel guitar with some unusual syncopation.

Another mystery LP from the mid-80s, I had no idea what it would be like. "Hawaii Calls: Cafe Bar Music" by the South Sea Island Orchestra. GREAT steel guitar with full orchestra, very lush, slightly groovy, "mall-like" arrangements. And they went far off the beaten path for song selections as well.

And this 2 LP set from The South Sea Melodians that I just love mostly because of the beautiful cover! Instrumental steel guitar, it's good music as well.

Finally, this Taiwanese LP, very strange to my ears of course, called "Love Songs From The Torrid Zones" features Chinese vocals of such titles as "Hawaiian Love Song","Paradise Of Hawaii","Serenade In Honolulu","Song Under The Moon" and others. Not exactly pleasing to the Western ear, but fascinating.

I would also re-mention to those who may be interested, that "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" is back on the air at the new Live365.com. I decided to join back up with the new ownership and so far so good. So, if you enjoy "easy listening" Hawaiian & may want some tiki bar background music, check it out.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2017-07-18 12:09 ]

T

I don't know if this is a national pricing policy, but the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store near me has all of their vinyl sale priced at only ten cents each! I scored about 20 exotica gems. :)

T

On 2017-01-30 16:17, Hamo wrote:
Found this Reader's Digest collection in one of the local thrift shops this weekend:

It also contained "liner notes" from the former owner, who rated each track based on whether it was appropriate for ballet dancing. It appears that very few are.

I picked that one up, too. Some of the tracks are surprisingly good.

H

Recent finds from Goodwill.

T

Built some shelves for my growing collection...!

Latest finds.

Estate sale a couple blocks from my house. Found these amongst a bunch of Sons of the Pioneers, Chet Atkins and Kenny Rogers LPs.

On 2017-11-20 10:56, Prikli Pear wrote:
Estate sale a couple blocks from my house. Found these amongst a bunch of Sons of the Pioneers, Chet Atkins and Kenny Rogers LPs.

That Lover's Luau has been on my want list a while.

On 2017-11-20 11:41, mikehooker wrote:
That Lover's Luau has been on my want list a while.

It's in rough shape, Mike. The sleeve is barely held together by ancient masking tape. I haven't had a chance to give it a listen yet, but I'll give you a shout once I do so. :)

Found the Exotica II 45 at a thrift in Camarillo California.

Sorry for the cut off.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-12-09 23:41 ]

K

I recently obtained this treasure I had no idea existed: Welcome To My World by Rose Netane & The Tonga Islanders who were featured nightly at the Kon-Tiki Supper Club in Frank Cannova's Hawaiian Inn on the beach at St. Pete, Florida.

I uploaded a few tracks to my Youtube channel "Hawaiian Leisure Hour"
Puka Shells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tho8seh4h24

And added some to my Live365.com channel, "Hawaiian Hi-Fi"
Hawaiian Hi-Fi: https://live365.com/station/a52179

BB

Cross-posting from Tiki Finds, received this as an early Christmas gift.

I can't even find reference to Le Sacre du Sauvage ever being released as a 78 album.

H

Goodwill yesterday.

On 2017-12-19 08:48, Bam Bam wrote:
Cross-posting from Tiki Finds, received this as an early Christmas gift.

I can't even find reference to Le Sacre du Sauvage ever being released as a 78 album.

It definitely was but, as far as I'm aware, only at the first pressing / release stage. If I remember correctly, the 78 RPM version (along with the 10" 33 RPM and 7" 45 RPM versions) was released first with the original "Le Sacre Du Sauvage" title - it's the subsequent versions that were retitled "Ritual Of The Savage". That's a really nice score!!

BB

It's been slim pickings around these parts, but my persistent crate digging is finally paying off a bit.

The Kostelanetz album is surprisingly not entirely schmaltzy strings (although it is still mostly so). There's a good deal of varied instrumentation and appropriate sound effects as well.

BB

Matching set for a grand total of $2.

BB

I take back everything mean I ever said about our local Goodwill.

Too bad the disc has been played to death.

T

On 2018-04-15 13:28, Bam Bam wrote:
I take back everything mean I ever said about our local Goodwill.

Too bad the disc has been played to death.

I see sooooo many F&T albums in the thrift stores around here, but I've yet to run across that title. Is it any good?

T

Picked up a handful of records at a couple thrifts yesterday. These were the only two that are worth mentioning.

On a side note, I need to keep reminding myself that any vinyl with the word "Tijuana" in the title is best avoided...

BB

On 2018-04-15 17:33, tikitube wrote:

I see sooooo many F&T albums in the thrift stores around here, but I've yet to run across that title. Is it any good?

It's not bad. Kind of a mixed bag of selections. Taboo and African Echoes are by far the best cuts off the album, and hearken back to their earlier experimental work from the 50s.

On 2018-04-16 08:08, Bam Bam wrote:

On 2018-04-15 17:33, tikitube wrote:

It's not bad. Kind of a mixed bag of selections. Taboo and African Echoes are by far the best cuts off the album, and hearken back to their earlier experimental work from the 50s.

Thanks, good to know! Sounds like it's worth a buck if I run across it. :wink:

F

Looong time record collector with a small budget and the limit of max 10€ for a record. Which means lots of flea markets and charity shops crate diggin'.
I will star sharing little by little this part of my collection that will be interesting for TC members.

Here two surf classics that I found in Chicago back in 1998 for 0.99 each.

Another classic from surf is Jan & Dean "Gotta take that one last ride"

K

Speaking of surf records (Quite a find for .99).....
I recently found this bizarre Japanese record...Surf guitar & Hawaiian guitar together in totally crazy arrangements of Hawaiian tunes. I'd never heard of this record before, but it's amazing. In fact, I upload the entire LP onto my "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" online radio station.

F

Aloha, mentioned a couple of pages back on this thread The Waikiki's, here the great "Aloha tatoo" and a double LP which is sort of "the best of" I score them on a vacation in France a couple of years ago.

F

I'm glad to present this "rare" record of Hawaiian music: Hawaii a go-go by Frans Van Oirschot and and his Honolulu strings. Frans Van Oirschot a.k.a Hank Pecker(Tilburg 1929 - 2011)still guitar player and composer from The Kilima Hawaiians.

And few from The Kilima Hawaiians LP's. They proudly printed on almost every record the "certificate of recognition"

[ Edited by: FranNL 2018-06-26 03:31 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 585 replies