Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Scored a Moai Volcano Bowl, and then lit it on FIRE! (pg2)

Pages: 1 21 replies

AJ

Aloha! Check out this moai volcano bowl I picked from my friendly neighborhood Chinese food restaurant! Has anyone seen this before? It is unmarked.

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-07-11 20:31 ]

T

Great bowl, John. I have a similar bowl without the volcano.

Did you get it from the big, green restaurant that used to have tikis in the parking lot?

Beautiful bowl....I love the color and the volcano is awesome...great find!!! :tiki:

Nice! I'm comin' down to your place for Chinese food!!!!
Aloha,
:tiki:

D

Slammin' bowl!

I take that the Chinese restaurant had this sitting around and weren't still serving drinks in these bowls right? It looks rather vintage. Was this a left over from their earlier cocktail serving days and does it have any markings on the bottom?

Great find!

FM

Dude! I have been looking for that bowl for awhile now with no luck. Good for you!

Does anyone know the maker and name of this piece? I search Ooga-Mooga every now and then looking for it, but don't see this one listed under bowls. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?

I've seen this design in old restaurant menus and the occasional photo, but never in person. I don't know who made it, but that design speaks to me more than most other bowls for some reason. I don't care if it's rare/not rare/vintage/made in China/sold by Costco/whatever — I just think it's a great design.

If it's not currently being made, somebody want to take up the challenge of doing so? (hint, hint)

• SV

[ Edited by: serious voodoo 2007-07-03 20:44 ]

Yeah it is killer bowl, however someone on Ooga Mooga may actually love/need/want it more than I. I am considering a nice offer I got today. One member had this to say about it-

"The bowl is pictured in a Hawaii Kai menu I have in my collection. It's a great piece to have. You are a lucky man, the Hawaii Kai was located in New York City but sadly it is no longer there."

It has no markings on it at all. The Chinese food restaurant is closing down (and changing to a Mexican restaurant) and the owner, knowing my interest in tiki, brought it out and offered it up. They do/did still have a nice selection of tropical drinks, but he said this bowl had not been used during the 7 years he was there. It had at least 7 years of kitchen funk on it. The center was a satin finish and the white was beige before we washed it!

I don't see it on Ooga Mooga, well except for mine. : P

TT

Check out http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/unmarked/?g2_page=3

There are two bowls on this site in the "unmarked category" (#41 & 51)that have similar characteristics as your bowl. The first one (41) has the same glaze style as your bowl and is labeled as being from the Beachcomber in Canada. The second one (51) has a slightly diferent glaze but looks very similar to yours...right down to the small holes in the tops of each Moai's head.

Aloha!

Thanks Trader Tom, I had not seen that page before.

I asked the owner last to confirm he only had that one. And we have decided not to sell it, with some serious persuasion from my woman. :wink:

Does anyone know why there are little holes in their heads? For toothpick garnishes?

-John

So, what would it take to convince one of the enterprising mug makers out there to take a crack at a reproduction of this piece?

This is my favorite bowl design and I bet a lot of people would be willing to spring for one. Just please, in a rustic matte glaze, not some of the more cartoony glazes that seem to be popular recently.

I promise to buy at least two.

• SV
D

I agree on the mug repro. I think there are precious few bowls being made these days.

BB

I would buy one maybe two also.

S

I think the hole is to allow air to vent during the firing of the piece. Don't know why they put it on top though.

The moai are common. What is cool here is the very nice volcano design.

P

On 2007-07-07 22:38, serious voodoo wrote:
So, what would it take to convince one of the enterprising mug makers out there to take a crack at a reproduction of this piece?

This is my favorite bowl design and I bet a lot of people would be willing to spring for one. Just please, in a rustic matte glaze, not some of the more cartoony glazes that seem to be popular recently.

I promise to buy at least two.

• SV

Great bowl indeed! Moai tikis are my favourites in bowls and mugs. I truly believe that the 'TIKIS' moai mug is one of the best tiki mugs EVER! Simplicity and Class in one fell swoop...you just gotta love that mug!!!! This bowl is so cool with the addition of the volcano. You are one lucky guy...like I say, 'look and you will find'...if your lucks in and you've been a good boy! Put me down for a repro if that project takes off!

I totally agree with the 'rustic matte glaze' comment! Glazes are just so damn important in achieving the perfect tiki mug/bowl!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a moai bowlful of Mai-Tai barman! Then light that sucker up!!!!

TT

I know I'd buy one or two if someone wanted to do a repro of the classic moai volcano bowl!

Holden is coming out with a moai volcano bowl this summer:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24504&forum=12&vpost=313324&hilite=drei%20moai%20bowl

It's a larger version of the green and pink drei moai bowl. This time it's toned down with a gray body and red lava glaze. Not as cartoony. However, I think it would look still better if it was, as people mentioned above, done with a matte finish for the body.

Both Gecko and Tiki Diablo have done some matte finishes with yellow or red interiors that drip over the lips of the bowl for a cool effect. Check out the 12 volcanos gray bowl:

First came the volcanoes and fire, then came the Moai, later came the 151, and thus the flaming Moai Volcano Bowl was created...

I have to apologize to the Gods of Mixology, I'm only stocked to make a Bali Hai Mai Tai. :wink:

N

NO LIME SHELL!?! :o

.....it does my heart good to see her being used again, the Tiki Gods must be smiling!!!

On 2007-07-11 20:44, nitropic wrote:
NO LIME SHELL!?! :o

NOPE. See pg. 15 in Intoxica!

Also can be seen on the Menu's at: "Islands Hanalei Hotel", San Diego, CA 1960's AND THE "Okolehao Bar Honolulu Airport", Hawaii

very nice find, I would to have one :)

On 2007-07-04 05:26, Trader Tom wrote:
Check out http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/unmarked/?g2_page=3

There are two bowls on this site in the "unmarked category" (#41 & 51)that have similar characteristics as your bowl. The first one (41) has the same glaze style as your bowl and is labeled as being from the Beachcomber in Canada. The second one (51) has a slightly diferent glaze but looks very similar to yours...right down to the small holes in the tops of each Moai's head.

I just bought a moai volcano bowl today. Looks much like the 2nd bowl depicted, complete with holes in the heads:

The seller told me she picked it up many years ago in Hawaii. “At the Don Ho bar in the international market place” so was this from Dukes? Is my seller confused?

Don Ho used to (in the 1960's) play at "Duke Kahanamoku's on the Beach" which was at the International Marketplace. (Right side.)

It was the former Don The Beachcombers. It became a Crazy Shirts in the 70's.

Donn moved to the Left side of the Marketplace and opened his larger place.

Don't know that either used the bowl for sure, though.

That's different that Duke's canoe Club in the outrigger hotel.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2019-03-01 08:27 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies