Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Hawaiian Eye" Tiki

Pages: 1 16 replies

I was wondering if any of you carvers have ever done a tiki exactly like the one on "Hawaiian Eye". I've seen some that are fairly close, but never exactly like it. Especially the type of lips on the mouth, the dramatically inward angle of the eyes, the 'eyebrows' curving into & becoming part of the nose, and a totally smooth surface and light in color.

I also noticed that whenever the actual tiki on Hawaiian Eye was ever touched, it had sort of a hollow 'thump', sort of like it was made out thick paper mache. The sound reminded me of a sturdier type of Mexican pinata. It also was very easy to push as you could see it teeter back and forth after being touched.

Here is the tiki on the Hawaiian Eye LP, but you really have to see the actual program to get the full front, top and side view of the tiki.

So, anyone making an exact replica?

SugarCaddyDaddy

Interesting. He looks very much like Monsieur Bonito by Munktiki:

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-29 11:24 ]

The day the show wrapped, Doug Mossman aka Moke the security guard (also the "Hawaiian advisor" on the show) drove the Tiki off the lot in his car. It went with him to Hawaii where it slowly disintegrated (it was wooden) in his frontyard....BUT at least I did get to photograph the office entrance sign, which had a similar, even more asymetric Tiki on it. The almost vertically slanted eyes are definitely unique.

The title Tiki (BOT p. 50) also appeared on the Gold Key comic book cover, the Lowell game, the Dell paperback and on the back of the cast's director's chairs. A true logo Tiki.

S.C. Daddy, You said:
Here is the tiki on the Hawaiian Eye LP, but you really have to see the actual program to get the full front, top and side view of the tiki.
Could you post these angles? I would like to try to carve a copy.
Thanks, Dawna

If you could post a full-body shot that I can print and guess at the dimensions I'd sure give it a try. It's mostly just low relief in the face so not too god-awful hard looking..

TikiFille & Basement Kahuna~
It just so happens that Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip and Surfside 6 comes on every Thursday here in Orange County, CA, on "The Goodlife" channel, so I will record Hawaiian Eye and hope they get a good shot of the tiki. Sometimes the characters actually stop and have some dialogue right next to it, and sometimes they just whiz right by it.

No really good pictures have ever been published that I've seen (just on the LP, and Dell Paperback like BigBro said), so at least you can 'freeze' the video to get a good look at it.

I'll set the VCR timer now, and will email you to get your address to send the video.

SugarCaddyDaddy

Dawna, you'd be perfect to do it, since it was a Burbank show. After work, the cast used to hang out at the China Trader so often that Doug Mossman became part owner of the joint for a while.
If you're ever in the neighbourhood, c'mon by and I'll show you my file, I have a nice photo of it with Troy Donahue (who went on the show after Surfside Six faltered). The picture of it in the BOT p.50 is really too contrasty, and most of the above mentioned paper ephemera use the "half face" concept that I chose for my book cover, so this photo would be the best source.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-01-30 13:19 ]

TROY DONAHUE, hot damn! Who cares about the tiki. BigBro- I'll try to swing by some time soon to check out the photo(or you could drag a copy to PCC Sunday...) Sugar Caddy Daddy- a video would be awesome! Details on the headress/body/etc. BOT pg. 50 is tres contrasty. My daughter insists this tiki is from Roswell,NM not Hawaii. haha.

Well, I taped the show, but the tiki was distant and half way blocked from view in this episode. I'll try taping again this Thursday.

A couple of things I was wondering:
~Tikifille: you would like to try to carve this Hawaiian Eye tiki? Great, but can we see some things you have done? I've seen B-Kahuna's carvings and their very good.

~BigBro: since you said you have the best source (picture-wise) for the tiki, how about just scanning and posting it here for all to see, and then ANY of the carvers wishing to carve it, may do so.

SugarCaddyDaddy

On 2003-02-03 18:13, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
A couple of things I was wondering:
~Tikifille: you would like to try to carve this Hawaiian Eye tiki? Great, but can we see some things you have done? I've seen B-Kahuna's carvings and their very good.

~BigBro: since you said you have the best source (picture-wise) for the tiki, how about just scanning and posting it here for all to see, and then ANY of the carvers wishing to carve it, may do so.

SugarCaddyDaddy

I would not offer my Hawaiian Eye files to just anybody. I have seen her backyard and let me tell you, she's up there with the best of them, and I 've never thought I would say that about a girl Tiki carver (loud bickering from the female TCers)
She just hasn't gone commercial because she wants to keep it a fun hobby. Tikifille got her experience by building props for the movies.

I have yet to figure out A) scanning and B)posting images, but I am spending too much time on TC as it is, and not getting my Witco book done!.....so which do you prefer?

bigbrotiki wrote:
I am spending too much time on TC as it is, and not getting my Witco book done!.....so which do you prefer?

To be painfully honest, I'd rather see the carvers do the tiki. Why? I would like to have alot more time in obtaining some WITCO pieces before the book comes out, because once the WITCO book comes out, all the antique dealers, swapmeeters and out-for-the-money-only dealers of "hot" things to collect will certainly raise the price of WITCO items and will be on the lookout at snapping up anything WITCO, just to turn around and sell it for a nice profit. Sure, it's free enterprise, but like I said, I am being honest.

SugarCaddyDaddy

Okay, I won't do the Witco Book then...phew, that's a load of my mind :)

Well, I used to build props for the studios, but now I teach 4th grade. All I have to say is,"Boys, if you don't stop this bickering you'll have to turn your cards and bench yourselves at recess!"

Big Bro-BOT is the carver's resource. I can't tell you how many of my more recent carvings were amalgams created with "the eyes from the one on this page and the teeth from the one on that". The new book will up values but inspire a new group.
SugarCaddyDaddy-Your request is reasonable but I don't have a digital camera nor a scanner. So, if you sent me a video of Hawaiian Eye I could pay you for the tape. Additionally, you could see them in person. I will e-mail you with my address.

Hi ,
I posted this on someone's announcement that on of the stars had died. i thought this would be a more appropriate place.
I found this by accident.
Classic retro atomic tiki white swank.
And Mary Tyler Moore Too!

http://www.nctc.net/~hazard/conrad/album/hawaiian.html

I continue to be fascinated by the level of knowledge here! It's truly amazing what this group knows. I have to admit I had a hard time even finding the tiki after I zeroed-in on Robert Conrad...

Conrad was splendid, wasn't he?

Pages: 1 16 replies