Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Hardcore Tiki - Oki Mugs & SECRET PHRASE Page 8

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies

very cool cammo.

I would wear one.

that last one is zazz

I never knew how much I needed a hat until I saw this thread :)

How do I order one of the red band hats ? I want one !

LT

That Tiki Hunter hat is shweeeet! Nice work.

C

HEY, the OTHER two hats are snazzy too!

To answer everybody at once - no orders or pre-orders, you gotta get me at Oasis and try the hat on before buying. The sizes are all different, and it just might not fit. Go comfort. (I widen the hats a touch when I shape the brims, they're comfy as heck.)

I don't know the prices yet, depends on how many I can make by then.

Also, these pics are pretty crappy - the real ones are super colorful & you gotta see & hold them in person.

C

"A Night in New Guinea"

awsome

TL

Your hats ROCK Dude!

T

On 2008-06-30 12:22, Cammo wrote:
"A Night in New Guinea"

That is one fine-looking lid!!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 7:01 AM

Just to let y'all know where I've been at for the last few weeks -

Been experimenting with TAPA. I figured, how hard can this stuff be to make? I mean, it doesn't look so hard to me. Making the actual barkcloth, that's hard, but the traditional printing techniques and stains used, that's some interesting stuff.

(Here's the Cammo-patented, copyrighted, and now trademarked process!!!!)

So I tried a lot of techniques, and finally made some real nice stain by simply boiling regular wood (too thin) & liquid shoe stain (too thick) together, in the pot I use to clean brushes with. Then you add just a bit of spar varnish to thin it out, and make sure the stain doesn't seep and spread into the paper. Bottle the result in a jam jar. Do it again with red-brown colors to get a different hue, bottle it again. Same thing again, but use WHITE this time! It works!

Make wooden printing designs out of chunks of balsa - it's super easy to carve with an x-acto knife. Glue the balsa with carpenter's glue to a solid piece of wood so it doesn't snap in yer hand.

Apply, depending on the type of paper, in sets of designs. It's easy. Has anybody tried this before on TC??? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I designed the whole process to do large-format sheets of paper, but then decided to try it on hats. So later today I'll post the resulting hat, which I'm still working on. It came out real nice......

S

And the hat would make a nice "lamp shade"/sconce when not in use. Don't just hang it on the wall, put a little light behind it!

Like the hats. Wish I could try them on and see how they look. I have too many hats and never wear them, but need that more casual style like these...

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 9:24 AM

Hey Swankster -

These are built for XL heads, I think that's about 24" around the skull. But you really have to try 'em on, there's a weird vibe that hits you when you wear a hat for the first time, its either love or pain right off.

I'll shoot the hat with a light inside, and post if it looks cool!

And you artist types out there should really try making Tapa, it's fun as heck...

Cammo, I think you are a trailblazer, I have seen people PAINT tapa patterns, but print them? That's like in the mid 90s, when Bosko announced to me and Jeff "I will fire an actual Tiki mug of my own design!" and we said " Hmm, interesting idea..." The only person who might have attempted printing would be Sophista-Tiki, but I do not remember...

Tapa scraps are not that unaffordable, ever thought of making a hat out of real Tapa?

I don't think any of yours will fit my big head, I go into hat stores and 98% of their sizes are too small for me....

On 2008-07-18 10:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
I don't think any of yours will fit my big head, I go into hat stores and 98% of their sizes are too small for me....

That's what writing books and the associated fame and fortune does to you, haha! :wink:

C

Bigbro -

I have a theory I'm writing a very well researched dissertation on, regarding brain sizes and Tiki appreciation.

I've found over and over and over that the larger a person's brain (and therefore hat size) the greater their ability to appreciate Tiki in all it's forms.

Not kidding at all - almost EVERYBODY out there in Tikiland has a huge hat size! I've had them described to me by the people themselves as being cursed with a "friggin' massive coconut" and "gigantic cranium". And it has nothing to do whatsoever with their body size - Holden from TikiFarm has a giant skull, but is about medium in height. Same with Derek, etc.

So I don't even make medium or large hats anymore, these are almost all XL hats that I've even stretched on a hat form to widen even more. So they may fit, Bro....

S

On 2008-07-18 12:58, Cammo wrote:
Bigbro -

I have a theory I'm writing a very well researched dissertation on, regarding brain sizes and Tiki appreciation.

I've found over and over and over that the larger a person's brain (and therefore hat size) the greater their ability to appreciate Tiki in all it's forms.

Not kidding at all - almost EVERYBODY out there in Tikiland has a huge hat size! I've had them described to me by the people themselves as being cursed with a "friggin' massive coconut" and "gigantic cranium". And it has nothing to do whatsoever with their body size - Holden from TikiFarm has a giant skull, but is about medium in height. Same with Derek, etc.

So I don't even make medium or large hats anymore, these are almost all XL hats that I've even stretched on a hat form to widen even more. So they may fit, Bro....

Count me in the large cocnut category. Gotta be XL. I think the actual size is like 7 3/4...

Very interesting observation! You mean instead of being the tribe of the Big Ears, we are the cult of the Big Heads? Well luckily, I can come up with a logical reason for that. It is because we all strive to BE Tikis! :D :

One of the earmarks of authentic Polynesian Tiki sculpture is that the head was almost always portrayed as larger in proportion to the body than it is in actual human beings. The reason for this was that the head is viewed as the container of mana, and Tiki figures were meant to be containers for ancestor mana. This larger-than-life head size is also the reason why Tikis seemed to resemble caricatures or cartoons to the Western eye, which were traditionally rendered with larger heads. This inherent "cartoony-ness" lent itself to Tikis being more easily assimilated by American mid-century artists with that sensibility.

On the other hand, if we follow the theory of Devolution, the pre-historic eating of brains made the human brain swell and grow larger than intended, smiting man with the loss of natural sensory perception and constantly having him teeter on the brink of insanity! :o

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 1:58 PM

The "TapaTopper".

Printed Tapa designs with fish, a Mai Tai, and on the front, "Munchie", the Hardcore Tiki mascot.

Outside, bound with a barkcloth-style Tapa fabric band.

Inside, I forgot to take pics, but it's lined with a woven silk band, in bright pineapple yellow.

All hand-stitched and printed using a special stain/varnish mix.

The fish on the back, my favorite part -

And the first Tapa-printed Mai Tai of all time, right smack on the side.

Coming next - the "Black Sunset".

I too am part of the huge hat club.

it sux sometimes... glad to hear you are catering to those of us who aren't cranially challenged...

Hot Damn, Cam! Spectacular! :D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

sandz

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 3:48 PM

"I too am part of the huge hat club."

Here's a partial list of people with HUGE noggins, like XL or more;

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
All the Smokin' Menehunes
Tikiyaki Orchestra guitarist
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Babalu!!!! (XL without the hair, with hair XXXXL)

....WHO ELSE???!!!!

Hey Sandz - thanx!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2008-07-18 17:42 ]

amazing camm!

Hoooooray!

My old Cammo hat (purchased the very moment I first met him) has seen so much wear, tear, sweat and sunbleaching I'll finally be able to put him out to pasture.

Great painting! Great hats! Great scott!!

As you might expect my head is extra large. Any pre-sales on these babies? drool drool....

Shit! I think I wear a size 8.

Everyone takes a step back when I say what size hat I wear. Like I'm gonna whip out my ax or something. :( Why do I feel so alone?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 5:50 PM

"Why do I feel so alone?"

I don't know, why?

And no pre-sales. Ya gotta catch me at Oasis and try the thing on first, I want them to fit nice.

Last year the hats all sold in the first hour, they'll either be at the Tikiland booth or at Billy Dee Crudnick's in Artist's Alley. Or catch me Thursday night at the kick-off party at the Bali Hai....

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 6:50 PM

The list of XL Tiki Heads GROWS BIGGER!!!!

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Babalu! (XL without the hair, with hair XXXXL)
Mai Tai

More...?

MT

On 2008-07-18 15:48, Cammo wrote:
"I too am part of the huge hat club."

Here's a partial list of people with HUGE noggins, like XL or more;

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Babalu!!!! (XL without the hair, with hair XXXXL)

....WHO ELSE???!!!!

Oops, I accidentally deleted my post when I went back to edit it.

Those are some awesome hats, Cammo. I especially like the Tiki Hunter with the frayed brim, and also that latest Tapa Topper - those are great. But they are all cool hats, so I'll just have to try them on and see what fits and looks best. But count me in on something!

Oh, and yeah, you can add me to the large coconut cranium cabeza club. :)

T

Very nice work!
Love the hats.
I'm a 7 1/4 hat size don't know if thats large or not.
The old hats that I find are most of the time too small.

7-1/4 is not large... I would say above average though. 7-7/8 (like me) that's large. I guess I get to be on The List of People with Ku-sized Heads.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 19, 2008 2:18 PM

Mango he right.

The list of XL Tiki Heads GROWS BIGGER!!!!

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Tiki Mango

More...?

MT

Did my head get lopped off the coconut casaba cranium cabeza maximus grande list? :lol:

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 4:51 AM

Don't worry, Mai Tai. I'm creating a special seperate list just for you!

Still coming -

The "Black Sunset". So far, only Buzzy has seen it and I know he WANTS IT BAD.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 5:51 PM

The "Black Sunset". Two weeks in the making.

That's a customized Buzzy pendant on the side. I strapped it down with a safety leash, just like a surfboard.

Swanky pseudo-plaid inside wraparound bands with a floating mesh liner!
And the brim underside is black; an old Egyptian trick to create more shade.

I think Buzzy should get this hat.

i really dig the hats, cammo! i'm a 7 5/8, considered an xl. i'll be looking to get one at oasis.

Cammo... you really have an eye for this stuff..

great ORIGINAL work..

C

Hey, thanx guys.

Monkeyman's work is some of the best in every medium he ever tries, I really wish he'd do more Tikis cause they're AMAZING when he has the time to carve 'em.

See you guys soon-ish!

More hats coming.....

Xlnt Lids Cammo- incredible actually.I am down for a tapa model.
I will double check my melon size and get back to yah.

Can you put Scott on the list for a big old head. He needs on of your chapeaus!

Thanks, Jen

C

This is for GROG.

Big heads? Ad me to the list. I haven't been able to fit into a baseball hat since I was in grade school.

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Tiki Mango
Tiki Shaker

Thankfully Kangol makes hats XXL!

MR

I'm afraid my head is rather large as well.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 11:44 PM

Big Head Club:

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Tiki Mango
Tiki Shaker
Matter of fact Reese

i guess i missed the cut. :D

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 9:34 AM

My fault, big (head) guy!

Monkeyman
Tiki Diablo
Nick at Tiki Mag
Derek (giant, like XXXL)
Holden (ditto)
Cammo
Tiki Racer
Svenster
Hodadhank
Mr. NoName (XXXL)
Tiki Mango
Tiki Shaker
Matter of fact Reese
Kingstiedye

Hey, I've been working on the final hats for Oasis, and these last ones are REALLY looking nice. They'll combine Tapa, hand-painted scenes, cocktails, and natives worshipping Tikis all in one killer XL sized lid. In light and dark brown straw, soft-wrapped.

It's called
"A Hard Day of Fishing".

woohoo! i made the enormous noggin club. see ya soon cammo.

V

I don't have a forehead, I have a fivehead. 7 and 7/8 that is. I too am in , thanks Camm

Cam, I saw your post about "stamping" tapa. I was playing with fire (firestaff) a few years ago and needed some polynesian print shorts. All I could find was polyester microfiber which will melt to your nads like molten lava if you brush it with fire. :o I ended up making a tapa type pattern on cotton shorts with acrylic paint and stamps made from craft foam. The balsa stamps seem more primative and authentic though, and I bet they wick up the stain well too.

Pages: 1 2 3 124 replies