Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

bigt carvings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 572 replies

A
amate posted on Mon, Mar 7, 2011 3:24 PM

Ah yes, the stain turned out really nice on the Ku. What did you use? (not that I would copy you or anything like that :P )

T

On 2011-03-07 15:24, amate wrote:
Ah yes, the stain turned out really nice on the Ku. What did you use? (not that I would copy you or anything like that :P )

It's Minxax Early American. Shadows/crevices done with Minwax Dark Walnut. Two coats of pre-mixed amber shellac, thinned 50%. One coat lacquer. Have fun.

Totally sweet! Love the size. Looks like you have a lot of logs for tiki's so keep'em coming.

B

Hey Big-T, Excellent ku and Moai too, LOVED the Birdman on his back,, Love it!

H

Love your work. Every one of them is unique and well crafted. Looking forward to seeing more.

T

On 2011-03-07 21:15, Tikilizard wrote:
Totally sweet! Love the size. Looks like you have a lot of logs for tiki's so keep'em coming.

Thanks tikilizard. Hopefully I can get to those logs before they rot. I do have some more stowed away in the garage though. :wink:

Thanks Benz! Yeah my favorite part of that one is the birdman. If it was up to me I would cut that guy in half just so I could hang the birdman part on the wall! But, daughter #1 won't let me. :lol:

Thanks hiltiki. I put a lot of work into these guys. But I do still consider myself a trainee, hoping to get better each time. :)

T

Time to catch up a little. I started this tiki baby rattle while I was working on the previous tiki and never got the time to upload some pics. Finished it last month.

T

Some more.

I love functional Tiki!!

Sweeeet! Nice work and glad to see your back.

Just a thought: What did you stain it with? If your going to give that to someone with a baby then it has to be stained with a special stain like the one used for fruit bowls. Regular stain is poisones to babies.

T

AS: Thanks for the comps! :wink:
TL: Good point. I used a non-toxic acrylic (Liquitex) with finish coat of non-toxic when cured lacquer (Deft).

You might notice the rings are a little different. I started cutting the "one ring" (pun intended) in two and realized the two resulting rings were going to be too thin. I shimmed the cut I had started and added a 2nd ring later.

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2011-05-31 14:47 ]

T

Also started a new tiki last month and just finished it Saturday. More pics coming.

T

Some pics of the mostly finished tiki.

T

The final pics.

A
amate posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2011 3:31 PM

Nice lips :D Is that pine? and looks like a lot of work went into that rattle.

P

^ ditto on that...wow! ^

cool stuff man!

T

Appreciate the compliments. PJC, congrats on two years! You have some great new stuff posted.

Amate: it's a rotten old pecan log. My camera died halfway through so the pics are taken with my wife's iphone. So I really don't have any good clear pics of this one.

T

Greatt Last Peice.DEFFINATLY unique,,

T

I decided to try my hand at a couple of masks. These are intended to be vintage/retro looking. They're both 8" tall.

Tikigodz: Thanks man.

T

The finished masks.

B

Both these guys are COOL,, Wheres the "Like" Button???

L

On 2011-07-10 06:04, Benzart wrote:
Both these guys are COOL,, Wheres the "Like" Button???

Hey Sensei carver, you too often drags on Facebook!!! :wink:

Very cool mask BigT, look like inspired by Shag?

T

Thanks Benz and Laojia. I just wanted something to look old school.

Got another one I'm working on. These seemed like a good idea in my sketch book but somehow didn't transfer to wood that well. Back to the drawing board. Here's the new one. It's meant to have shell inlays on the eyes. Still working on that part.

T

Pics of the finished the mask. This is my first try at inlays. They came out pretty good although I didn't get the shells to fit in as tight as I wanted. A lot of fun though!

Nice primitive mask...but does it grind pepper?

Cool shell eyes.
You know I like that trick.
It rocks!
But, can it grind ?

T

On 2011-08-23 14:29, congatiki wrote:
Nice primitive mask...but does it grind pepper?

On 2011-08-24 04:04, Will carve wrote:
Cool shell eyes.
You know I like that trick.
It rocks!
But, can it grind ?

Haha! NO. Sadly, it doesn't grind. Damn it Will, you and Aloha, are kicking all of our butts with the grinders. On the next one I'll incorporate an iPod dock and a beer koozi! Take that. :D

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2011-08-24 06:45 ]

:)

T

Got a new dude coming along. Don't know what kind of wood this is. I picked it up during hurricane Ike (2008). Some kind of really white, hard wood. Before anyone asks, it doesn't grind pepper. Although I could be tempted to add a bottle opener... :D

It could a nutcracker - the way that your busting mine. Looks great - love the spalting.

T

Haha! Yeah... :wink:

A
amate posted on Sat, Sep 10, 2011 8:20 AM

That's a nutcracker alright. That has to weight at least 100 pounds. Go Big!!! (T)

L

WOW! This one will be very nice!

And cool mask too!

J.

T

Amate: Thanks! I took a lot of wood off him. I think he's probably closer to 60 lbs or less.
Laojia: Thank you! I appreciate the comments. Been a while since we've had an update from you but your last set of work really knocked me out!

Made some progress recently. Had to take the last few weeks off to get some honey-do's completed. Almost got this guy ready to stain:

Started a new one as well, much smaller:

I like all the spalting and light color. Why not just hit it with a clear?

T

Yeah, i'm thinking something like that. I also am wanting to experiment with fuming the wood. But i still want a light color to let the spalting show through.

F

I agree. The spalting looks bitchun and the carve is smooth and clean... it would be great to keep the contrast that is happening naturally.

T

On 2011-10-12 06:19, AlohaStation wrote:
I like all the spalting and light color. Why not just hit it with a clear?

On 2011-10-12 08:55, furball wrote:
I agree. The spalting looks bitchun and the carve is smooth and clean... it would be great to keep the contrast that is happening naturally.

Thanks for the comments. Here's a close up of the spalting. Unfortunately this log is quite ratty from bugs.

Now for a question: to tattoo or NOT to tatoo?? I'm leaning towards tattoo right now.

F

On 2011-10-12 10:10, TheBigT wrote:
Now for a question: to tattoo or NOT to tatoo?? I'm leaning towards tattoo right now.

I say tattoo that bad-boy. I know that's what Crazy Al would do. :D

A
amate posted on Wed, Oct 12, 2011 1:57 PM

I second it...tattoo

T

Some progress on the little guy...

P

I'm likin' this new guy so far....

T

pjc: thanks for lookin! Love that tall guy you just completed. It really has a lot of character.

I finally finished this little one. Although the pic doesn't show it finished, it's pretty close. Now, hopefully I can get these last two pieces stained before November is over...

T

I finally finished one! Just put the clear coat on this guy today. I tried some pre-stain wood conditioner for the first time and the stain came out waaay darker than I wanted. So, that led to my very first adventure in dry brushing...

M

That little guy turned out killer Big-T! I love the design of the base. Beautiful work!

Mahalo

McTiki

Great stuff! I love the chisel work, I have still yet to try that. Keep it up!

T

McTiki - Thanks!!

surfin - Thanks, try it. I'm sure yours would be stellar! I have done it before, but not so well defined as this one, and the dry brushing really brought it out.

A
amate posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 2:25 PM

That turned out great man! I love the contrast between the chisel marks and the smooth base. Then the white sets everything off. Very well done. Now, I'll have to go look up "dry brush".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 572 replies