Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are you a "Tiki Snob"?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies

On his last visit, my long time friend (the one who got my collecting tiki) posed this serious question to me. Are you a tiki snob?

I have had him tag along with me to a few tiki functions, to a couple of tiki bars and of course, to the flea markets and antique stores I frequent. Although I would like to consider myself more of a “connoisseur” of tiki, I had to stop and ponder the question asked.

He prefaced this question by stating the obvious; remember when we used to go and find this stuff at thrift stores? No one wanted it, it was considered junk. Mugs were plentiful and mostly found for under a dollar (usually $0.25). Same with most island related stuff, Coco Joes and the like. He still has a Trader Vics Suffering Bastard decanter and mugs he bought for $1.99 which is destined for my collection.

His observation was valid, at least in my case. I guess I am a snob when it comes to what I collect. I prefer vintage items and pick them up whenever I can. I also prefer items with some history to them typically from a tiki establishment. Although I have purchased a few newer items and have an appreciation for the wide array of product available in today’s market, it just doesn’t have the same feel to me. Who knows, I may change my mind on this in the future?

It is also hard to explain to my friend spending $60.00-$100.00 on a new made mug because of our past collecting purchases (although he bought a new mug from Jungle Trader and I have bought some newer items for his collection as well).

Are you a tiki snob? Can you explain why? Do you buy whatever you can or are there things you pass on, not because of price, but because of what it is? Maybe someone else out there can help me better explain this to my friend?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I am a tiki snob)!

I can explain why I am not a Tiki Snob:

I have choosen to never buy anything Tiki, nor vintage for that matter online. My collection might seam dismal at times, but it feels like every piece truly belongs to me - the pieces found me, so to speak. Thrift stores have always been my solace.

Great post PTD...you BIG SNOB!!! jkg :)

I do not consider anyone that collects vintage items snobbish. I admire those folks for their knowledge and critical eye in recognizing the rare, the truly collectable and vintage items. I think collecting is a very personal thing....it is your choice as to what turns you on. I have collected various arrays of items in my lifetime and some of my collections I got tired of and passed on (my Barbies as child...cause I didn't know any better...damnit).

I am new to collecting tiki, but I am mostly attracted to the new, shiny, kitschy stuff and help to support artists of the here and now. I fully expect some folks will not appreciate my collection, but it is something I enjoy and afterall...diverisity makes the world go round...some day my stuff will be vintage (when I am dead). :D

I very much appreciate and learn from others about how their collections include "purist" vintage items and I love seeing that and hearing about it, but do not consider it snobbish.

Please feel free to pass on to me...any unvintage items you have. I don't want your collection to be ruined by an errant mug made yesterday...really let me help you with your collection. :lol:

I love to look at all the rare and vintage mugs on Ooga Mooga...they are amazing. Your not becoming a snob...you are becoming a connoisseur!!!

Thanks Vamp...I am a snob...snobby enough to purchase even a chipped Tonga Room bowl on Ebay. :)

I guess the boiling point that drove my buddy to the point of exaspiration was when I showed him the post with the pictures of my bar and he was puzzled by a reply about my ceilings being white...

Try as I might to explain this was a joke (hopefully? Ben) this is where the "Tiki Snob" thought was planted. He looks at Tiki Central once in awhile and this was just one example I can remember he mentioned. He has a difficult time believing anyone can be a snob about tiki.

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-09-25 11:49 ]

I think the difference between connoisseur and snob is similar to the difference between confidence and arrogance- one of intent. Is the intent to impress others, to feel superior, or is the intent to be discerning and true to your passion? Similarly, one with extreme confidence is acting naturally, while the arrogant are trying to show others that they are superior- so too, a snob wants others to be impressed by his/her taste and knowledge about the subject (be it tiki, wine, food, etc.).

The connoisseur is knowledgeable because of their passion for their chosen pursuit, and discerning because they know the difference and it matters to them (nobody wants to see their object of passion diluted by inferior representatives). That is not to say that there isn't a little enjoyment to be had by being recognized for your knowledge and taste- but that is merely a pleasant byproduct, not the primary intent.

So ultimately, it seems to me, the only person that really knows if they are a snob or connoisseur, is the individual themselves, IMHO.

The fact that you raise the question indicates to me that you're probably not a snob.

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-09-25 12:33 ]

K

I want to be a snob.

My collection is 50/50...vintage and new. I love my vintage mugs best. Most probably came from Ebay, but only if I got a really good price. The others are ones I found in the wild, and those are the ones I cherish the most.

but...

The sheer quantity of new & limited edition mugs being produced nowadays is overwhelming and it is feeding my addiction. It's more money than I can/should be spending (I bought the new Kahiki mug, but why did I need 3?). There are too many and they cost too much (for me).

There are so many beautiful pieces out there and I want them all. I'm sick. Somebody help me.

Hear hear, Ray - could not agree more.

I think with any interest, whether it is wine, stereo equipment, art, antiques, baseball cards or tiki, at first there is much joy in the pursuit of anything meeting minimum standards.

However, as time goes on and one becomes more knowledgeable about a topic, the person naturally becomes more selective or appreciative of what makes one item "better" than another. I think this is where one comes to a fork in the road that is "snob" on one side and "connoisseur" on the other.

In my experience, you can often tell a snob from a connoisseur by asking why they like something. More often than not a snob will know WHAT they are supposed to like (from magazines, reviews, etc.) but not necessarily WHY they should be appreciative.

I can appreciate collectors who purchase only from thrift stores and the like - obviously for these folks much of the joy is the hunt in and of itself. I also completely understand someone who will pay whatever it takes to get a rare or special item too - more of the joy is in having the item.

TZ

For some of us in the tiki-deprived areas of the country, being a tiki snob isn't an option, even if we wanted. If you want to decorate your bar like a Cracker Barrel, then you can thrift shop/flea market all you want around here. Finding a tiki mug, however, is a needle in a haystack. I'm happy just to get something plastic from Big Lots!

I think a tiki snob would be someone who won't associate with someone else because that person has a crappy mug collection and wouldn't know a treasure if was in their hands...things of that nature. People have a right to be particular.

I see mostly particular people here on TC. I guess I haven't been around here long enough to realize which ones are snobs, if any. A snob doesn't help someone learn more or help develop others' appreciation. A snob scoffs at those who are less advantaged or don't share their point of view.

I could be wrong (it's happened before) but I believe a "snob" is someone who looks down on others as being inferior. It is completely acceptable to be very discerning in one's own collection. In no way would that make you a snob. On the other hand, if you applied those same standards to someone else's collection; i.e. "that's a piece of crap in your collection, no one of any quality would have something like that in their collection." Then you're a snob. I say - Live and let live, it's all good.

S

I collect things that catch my eye..Regardless if its vintage or new..Plastic or whatever..At the end of the end of the day its all about eye candy to me and not necessarily where or when it was made or came from..

I have been called a Tiki snob before because I speak up for "good" Tiki, and criticize "bad" Tiki. I think anyone who has accquired an above average knowledge about something is in danger to be judged as a snob by the others who do not care as much.

I guess in comparison to my other collecting, tiki is not something I actually consider a "snob" tag tied to.

When collecting vintage toys and comic books, it is all about condition. Mint is king and everything else follows suit. Packaging is a must have if at all possible.

I think that is probably one of the reasons I enjoy collecting tiki. While condition is important I know I can overlook a chip here and a hairline crack there. I have purchased some harder to find items with cracks and chips and unless you were to pick them up and examine them closely you would never know the flaws existed and I doubt that anyone who collects tiki would care. This would not be the case with the toys and comics.

But my friend seems to see some of the same attitude with some collectors of tiki as he saw me deal with in collecting vintage toys and comics. I guess another example would be a bar we went to in which they did not serve bottled domestic beer and "appeared" rather snobby and taken back when he asked for one. I knew better and tried to explain why, but, again, he used this example to further make his point. He liked the bar and the ambiance, but would rather have the beer he prefers. He suggested maybe bringing in his own and paying a "corkage fee" LOL.

PTD

White walls in a tiki room/bar are just plain ugly!

I can't be a snob.

I drink Beer!

On 2007-09-25 15:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

I can't be a snob.

I drink Beer!

OK, since you were one of the reasons why this subject came up (my Chattagrunga posting), what about ultra white ceilings? :)

PTD

I don't think I'm a tiki snob, but I am a Tiki Central snob. When I first started reading TC, it was all so exciting and new to me despite the fact that I had been collecting for a few years already.

That group of folks who were actively posting around the time that I joined kept me riveted. Granted, they weren't the Algonquin Round Table or anything, but it was one of the more intelligent groups of people that I had encountered in a very long time.

When some people post now, I don't even bother looking because I know it's just going to be another "Gee, that's great, Me too, Sorry I can't make it to that event even though you live in Timbuktu and I'm in Outer Mongolia so there was no chance in hell that I could have made it in the first place but look how my post count is climbing" type of response.

I know that Bong caused an unforgivable amount of trouble for Hanford and the other moderators, but if you have any clue about what he did here on TC, you'd know that teaKEY would not have lasted three whole years because Bong would have been so harsh to him that he'd still be crying under his bed in fetal position, especially after the "commits" thread.

I piss and moan frequently about what TC used to be, but I do still love a great many things about it, and I've met tons of wonderful people who have joined fairly recently.

I guess I've adopted the "If you can't beat them, join them" mentality seeing as I'm often guilty of posting purely fluff responses these days too.

(Can't wait for my "nastygram" PM from teaKEY.)

As far as collecting goes, if you only buy what you truly like, then it's all good stuff because it makes you happy.

On 2007-09-25 15:54, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2007-09-25 15:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

I can't be a snob.

I drink Beer!

OK, since you were one of the reasons why this subject came up (my Chattagrunga posting), what about ultra white ceilings? :)

PTD

NO WHITE WALLS !!!

(only on old cars!)

If you can't do matting's, etc. at least paint it shades of green, red, blue, black or brown. White is just not right, in a Tiki Room. Never has, never will.

You are there to escape! Right?

p.s. send your buddy my love!

xoxoxo! :)-

i'm not a snob, i am purified junk enthusiast my sole has found tiki and when i go about my daily travels my mind makes split decisions at times and i find my self wondering why... and behold a mug or coco joe or even a tacky tiki bird feeder even though i am on the look out for other things , antiques, bikes, vintage clothes . but nothing makes my day more complete than finding another piece for my ever growing collection new or not. ps i will shop and hunt on line for a desired piece a must have but havent had to yet, nor will i buy a whole tiki collection that would hinder my hunt for tiki and kill my drive but will pick out of it what i like oh are right i would buy a whole tiki collection and sell off what i didnt want and keep what i liked for my self!!! peace BAB

I am way too new at this to be a tiki snob... but I have aspirations of snobness!

My love of Polynesian music and tropical rum drinks got me going. I started collecting tiki as I started collecting ukuleles. About the time I discovered Exotica music I discovered Tiki Central.

Tiki Central is simply hilarious, and also informative. Me... I'm not stupid, just ignorant!

M

On my budget I cannot afford to be a tiki snob. That said, my wife and I have been quite successful unearthing things at local thrift stores. Sometimes the antique stores here in Bakersfield don't value things tiki so their prices can be quite attractive too. How ironic it is that I cannot afford Witco.

Tiki Kate wrote;
I don't think I'm a tiki snob, but I am a Tiki Central snob. When I first started reading TC, it was all so exciting and new to me despite the fact that I had been collecting for a few years already.

That group of folks who were actively posting around the time that I joined kept me riveted. Granted, they weren't the Algonquin Round Table or anything, but it was one of the more intelligent groups of people that I had encountered in a very long time.

When some people post now, I don't even bother looking because I know it's just going to be another "Gee, that's great, Me too, Sorry I can't make it to that event even though you live in Timbuktu and I'm in Outer Mongolia so there was no chance in hell that I could have made it in the first place but look how my post count is climbing" type of response.

I know that Bong caused an unforgivable amount of trouble for Hanford and the other moderators, but if you have any clue about what he did here on TC, you'd know that teaKEY would not have lasted three whole years because Bong would have been so harsh to him that he'd still be crying under his bed in fetal position, especially after the "commits" thread.

I piss and moan frequently about what TC used to be, but I do still love a great many things about it, and I've met tons of wonderful people who have joined fairly recently.

I guess I've adopted the "If you can't beat them, join them" mentality seeing as I'm often guilty of posting purely fluff responses these days too.

(Can't wait for my "nastygram" PM from teaKEY.)

As far as collecting goes, if you only buy what you truly like, then it's all good stuff because it makes you happy.

I feel pretty much the same way except for the snob part.
Everyone knows that I'm no snob. (place nasty responses here)
Cheers

Are you a tiki snob? Can you explain why? Do you buy whatever you can or are there things you pass on, not because of price, but because of what it is? Maybe someone else out there can help me better explain this to my friend?

Well I’m definitely not a tiki snob, largely because I'm sure my grasp of “tikiness” isn't better, more valid, or even as good as others here. I'm extremely selective about which items I collect, but my criteria is usually whether or not it appeals to me, not how rare it is. I’ve been known to pass on certain tiki items even if the price is right or it’s super-rare, simply because I just don’t like it. This isn’t being snobbish, just selective, and I suspect that your collecting habits are similarly motivated.

In my experience, snobs generally aspire to prove their superiority by flaunting, criticizing and excluding. As Urban Tiki said, only the individual themselves can know if they’re a snob, but here's some behaviors that could be perceived as “tiki snobbishness”:

TC-ers labeling items that they do not collect as “inherently inferior”, but without being able to explain what is “inferior” about them;
TC-ers condemning or belittling folks who do collect and/or display the aforementioned “inferior” items;
TC-ers pointing out only the perceived anti-tiki flaws (never the assets) in various endeavors without offering solutions or positive feedback;
TC-ers repeatedly using themselves as THE measuring tool for “tikiness”;
TC-ers dictating how “tiki” should be experienced (clothing, music, décor, food, beverages), and condemning individuals not adhering to their mandates;
TC-ers discrediting another TC-er’s input SOLELY on an individual’s duration or status on TC.

Anyway, I’d like to think that none of this ever happens on TC…(adjusting rose-tinted shades)...

To address your friend’s white walls question (hopefully without sounding like a snob): Speaking as an (inactive) interior designer, white walls, trim and ceilings have their place, but oftentimes they are used in combinations that detract rather than enhance tiki-esque décor. In the case of your ultra-white ceiling, the high-contrast between the gorgeous deep red wall and the white brings the eye to the ceiling first rather than to the walls or objects within the room, especially since there is no other white element within the room.

Whites and light neutrals can make naturals materials like bamboo or pandan seem washed out, but a carefully chosen neutral can enhance a collection. If you were a client of mine, I would have suggested a toned neutral (red-brown, green, or orange) in a lighter shade on the walls to help off-set the white ceiling (assuming that I couldn’t persuade you to consider a color for the ceiling). The toned color would have been chosen to highlight the collectables. FYI: I personally think that the biggest design faux pas would be to precisely match the walls and ceiling to the color of the thatch or bamboo (I see this sub-par suggestion lobbed off regularly on TC.)

But anyhow, I love seeing photos artfully-arranged collections, and I think your room looks fabulous irregardless of the white ceiling. Besides, if you’re satisfied withthe result, it really doesn’t matter what I (or anyone else) think about it.

Gina a.k.a. Martiki-bird (I had lots of spare change today…)

....WHICH, again, brings up the question if Tiki is a free-for-all, whatever-one-wants-it-to-be style, (...and I know that it is not what you mean, but some people might read it that way)

Because it is definitely not. It is an agreement on a certain stylistic language....and with that, it INCLUDES certain elements, and EXCLUDES others (like white ceilings, perhaps :D ). As mentioned here before a couple of times, a game, to be fun, has to have rules, if these rules go out the window it is not a game worth playing.

I personally think that constructive criticism is lacking on TC, and that there is too much stylistic confusion in the Tiki revival.
Letting others in on what one sees as Tiki style should not serve to SPOIL the fun and alienate them, but to CREATE more fun, and educate them.

Well, that's how I see it...wonder why! :D

K

Whenever I see something posted that is not tiki, I've learned it's better to stay quiet rather than speak up for fear of being skewered & rotisseried...meaning if I don't have something nice to say I just don't say it. I don't pretend to be an expert in the subject, but I've seen enough to know what is and what isn't. On any given page in the "Tiki Finds" thread there are always objects that are not tiki at all, meaning it may have a tropical style, but that doesn't make it tiki. Those objects should really be posted in "Beyond Tiki Finds" but I don't want to appear snobbish so I don't say anything.

I for one don't believe that tiki is "whatever you want it to be." It's a pretty distinctive style, I think. You won't find any mugs that look like pirates or monsters in my collection, but there are some hardcore "tiki" collectors that love that stuff. That's fine, if that's what you like. So should I chime in with an opinion when people rant and rave about an awesome new "tiki" mug that looks like Godzilla? Does it make me a snob if I do?

Whites and light neutrals can make naturals materials like bamboo or pandan seem washed out, but a carefully chosen neutral can enhance a collection. If you were a client of mine, I would have suggested a toned neutral (red-brown, green, or orange) in a lighter shade on the walls to help off-set the white ceiling (assuming that I couldn’t persuade you to consider a color for the ceiling). The toned color would have been chosen to highlight the collectibles. FYI: I personally think that the biggest design faux pas would be to precisely match the walls and ceiling to the color of the thatch or bamboo (I see this sub-par suggestion lobbed off regularly on TC.)

But anyhow, I love seeing photos artfully-arranged collections, and I think your room looks fabulous irregardless of the white ceiling. Besides, if you’re satisfied withthe result, it really doesn’t matter what I (or anyone else) think about it.

Gina a.k.a. Martiki-bird (I had lots of spare change today…)

To the living room specifically; this is only a temporary relocation of the bar. The red walls were selected from the red I had matched off of a "Harveys Sneaky Tiki" mug and it is nearly an exact match. I actually would welcome any suggestions for the color of the ceiling, I kept it white only because the room is very dark and this helps offset the lighting. Since over half of my collection is in another room I will eventually add on to the house and build one big room for my bar and collection. I will definitely not have any white walls or ceiling when this is finished. In fact, the only two rooms in my house right now that have white walls are the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen will be remodeled and the color will probably go back to the original yellow.

To my friends point and some things that have been mentioned on TC and this thread, he just didn't get the criticism? I know it was tongue in cheek humor, I have seen it here time and time again and I have hashed some out myself. But when a newbie is introduced to this site and finds a less than lukewarm reception to an inquiry or is scolded for not posting in the correct thread, my friend's question was "Why would you want to put yourself out there like that"?

How many TC'ers cringe at a Leilani or wood carved mug? This is where many tiki collectors start their journey and unfortunately may end it if they are offended the first time they post.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and please give me some advice for the color of my ceiling)!

On 2007-09-26 12:13, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

To my friends point and some things that have been mentioned on TC and this thread, he just didn't get the criticism? I know it was tongue in cheek humor, I have seen it here time and time again and I have hashed some out myself. But when a newbie is introduced to this site and finds a less than lukewarm reception to an inquiry or is scolded for not posting in the correct thread, my friend's question was "Why would you want to put yourself out there like that"?

How many TC'ers cringe at a Leilani or wood carved mug? This is where many tiki collectors start their journey and unfortunately may end it if they are offended the first time they post.

But how will they learn? Granted, they shouldn't get their heads bitten off, but if people don't guide them in the right direction, they will just run amok.

Plus, it's hard to respect someone who just jumps into the middle of everything and in the wrong place no less. If you have any respect for a group that you would like to join, maybe you should learn a little something about them first. Take some time to read a bit and learn how to navigate the sight instead of just jumping in to General Tiki and starting a brand new thread to introduce yourself and let everyone know that you didn't bother to read the friendly warning that advises you to figure out what you're doing before you post if you have fewer that 25 posts.

I think that a nice shade of brown often works well for a ceiling.

TB

I must appologise PTD, as I was in on the white celing thing, but it was just playfull ribbing, not being snobish. Didn't mean to add fuel to the fire.

Tiki Bill.

H

Kate, I agree with you on everything and understand your point. I think if a member is posting more than two or three "fluff responses" in one day, maybe they should go back and read every one of them several times. This thread might make sense to them at this point. By the way white walls are not ok, at least in an authentic, tropical, Tiki-oriented sense.

I'm a Tiki Slob...

Buzzy Out!

Experts only should add to posts, is that what I'm hearing? If all you can add is a comment of support or a bit of humor it is "fluff" and the poster should keep it to himself? Is that what I'm hearing? Well, you snobs!!!!!

(Picked up some Orgeat today and I'm on my third Mai Tai... bottoms up! Hey, what is the appropriate tiki drink salute?)

On 2007-09-26 14:37, Tiki Bill wrote:
I must appologise PTD, as I was in on the white celing thing, but it was just playfull ribbing, not being snobish. Didn't mean to add fuel to the fire.

Tiki Bill.

Whoa Bill, nothing but love here and no apology needed! I am not calling anyone out at all. The "white ceiling incident" as I am now referring to it was just an example of my buddy Kevin's (some of you local TCers know him) question regarding what he says is snobbery in what seems like an area of collecting that should be far from any kind of aloofness.

He seemed more humored by the fact that we take this so seriously and I can see his point.

Is there a "defined" tiki protocol? He was buying this stuff long, long before anyone was really paying attention to or cared about it. I used to give him so much crap about wasting his money on tiki and Polynesian stuff and now it has come back to me to answer him. He got stuff like this packed away in his storage unit and garage and is genuine enough to give it to people who really show enthusiasm and passion about owning and displaying tiki (one of many areas of collecting he has done).

I, in turn have done the same. I would rather give stuff to someone who will genuinely appreciate it than sell it and make a profit and some of you know that first-hand. Does that mean I don't sell stuff? No, but you get the point.

Kevin knows I am in for the long haul and this isn't a flash in the pan for me because everything I have collected in the past I have devoted myself to and kept an interest in. It really just boils down to being happy with what you have and sharing information with those who show some interest.

Sharing is caring. :)

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and no worries bro)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-09-26 17:44 ]

On 2007-09-26 15:16, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Experts only should add to posts, is that what I'm hearing? If all you can add is a comment of support or a bit of humor it is "fluff" and the poster should keep it to himself? Is that what I'm hearing?

I'm not saying that at all. Otherwise, hardly anyone would be posting. There are very few "experts" here.

Yes. If all you post is fluff, what are you honestly adding to the site? Humor does not count as fluff if it's actually funny to other people.

On 2007-09-26 15:16, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well, you snobs!!!!!

My Dear Mr. Bungalow, if you had bothered to read the rules, you would know that name-calling is #2 on the list of things that are not allowed on TC. (Hanford, could you please address that with him.)

(Hanford, could you please address that with him.)

Bungalow, see rule #2.

Actually Kate, I think he's joking. Bungalow, you're joking right?

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2007-09-26 18:11 ]

On 2007-09-26 18:10, hanford_lemoore wrote:

(Hanford, could you please address that with him.)

Actually Kate, I think he's joking. Bungalow, you're joking right?

So was I, but thanks for taking care of that for me.

Yes, I am a Tiki Snob and a Tiki Central Snob + I'm becoming a Tiki Drink Snob

but

I am not a Mug Snob and I have some Balinese* and Filipino Tikis in my home so I'm not a Tiki Purist. I'm also not crazy about Moai but I have a couple so I'm already contradicting myself which is going to happen so please add to Tiki Hypocrite to my list.

*The Balinese Tikis I have aren't all toothy. Which is nice. :D

What? I LOVE you guys!

You know what I appreciate in people? Passion! Passion for tiki, passion for well- made drinks, passion for your job, whatever! This site reeks with passion!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2007 7:48 PM

Im less of a tiki snob, and more of a cheap tiki slut :D Hey tiki is slim pickings down here in Australia, so I pretty much take what I can get :lol: I also dig the lowbrow/monster/hot rod side of things, but I'm the first to admit they're not 'traditional' poly pop, and some tiki folks dont like em.

For me, it's about having a good time and having cool stuff related to what makes grin. My tiki bar will be peppered with hot rod art, because I wont be rich enough to have a tiki room and a hot rod room (and the other half wants some room for her stuff too - I cant have the whole house!). I think some people take the whole tiki thing too seriously, but at the same time I'm jealous of some of their collections! :lol:

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2007 8:49 PM

Kate's right again, back at her original post she points out that half the stuff being thrown up are alerts that someone isn't coming to an event. That bugs the crapola out of me. I mean, we assume people aren't coming to Oasis, or HukiKookyLau or the Tonga Pup or Thursdays at the Orange Garter Snake. There's like 7438 TC members right now, it's like a mathematical impossibility that everybody will be showing up to TikiTony's backyard bash.

The question is, who IS coming?

I'm a snob about useless posts. Funny ones are more than welcome, as Hanford would say.

I guess it all comes down to the details...

Witco or no? Carved tiki with big teeth or no? Leilani and carved wood mugs or no?

Vintage or new? Coco Joes or no? Finely crafted rum drinks or beer?

Exotica or Jimmy Buffet? Velvet paintings or no? Ceramic or plastic?

Non-tiki mugs vs. tiki mugs? And the most obvious, white walls/ceilings or no?

The list goes on...

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am or no)?

In a nutshell, isn't the CORE of the "TIKI" scene just about having fun with a group of people who at least understand you just little bit better than the stuffed shirt, suit wearing, "martini snob" crowd? Now everyone, let's grab a wahini, a tall cocktail (with umbrella, etc.), slap a martin Denny record on the turntable, get drunk, and paint our ceilings! :P Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It was the rum talking, I swear! :wink:

Tiki Bill.

On 2007-09-27 10:20, Tiki Bill wrote:
... a tall cocktail (with umbrella, etc.) ...

Umbrella or no?

TB, stop drinking and get busy finishing that exotica CD of yours!! You can drink when you're done. :wink:

J

On 2007-09-27 10:20, Tiki Bill wrote:
Now everyone, let's grab a wahini, ...

Wahini ... or kane?

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-09-27 11:57 ]

On 2007-09-26 18:05, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Yes. If all you post is fluff, what are you honestly adding to the site? Humor does not count as fluff if it's actually funny to other people.

[ Edited by: Daves Not Home 2007-09-27 12:41 ]

If you think too much about it you won't have any fun.

Bora Boris it was good to finally meet you Sunday.

On 2007-09-27 22:26, Jungle Trader wrote:
If you think too much about it you won't have any fun.

Bora Boris it was good to finally meet you Sunday.

Jungle Trader the pleasure was all mine.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 27, 2007 11:42 PM

On 2007-09-27 22:32, Bora Boris wrote:
Jungle Trader the pleasure was all mine.

He must have shown you his 6 foot penis.

On 2007-09-26 18:10, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Bungalow, see rule #2.

Wanker!

Hey Vic~

Don't want to sound like a snob or anything, but I throughly enjoy the fountain you carved for me everyday and make a point of showing it to everyone that visits my house. It is awesome!

PTD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 154 replies