Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Beware, more tiki going mainstream!

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

RR

From IMDB.com

The West Wing star Allison Janney is considering marrying her fiance Richard Jenik in a tiki bar she's had built in her back garden - because she can't find anywhere else to do it. More than a year ago, Janney announced her engagement to her beau, but admits that schedules and other commitments have obstructed her efforts to find the perfect place to wed - so she's considering using her home's palapa (an open-sided structure thatched with palm leaves). She says, "We've been thinking about getting married at the palapa 'cause it's so festive and fun... We've been having a hard time finding the place, with the West Wing schedule and my movie schedule and trying to find a location." And Janney guarantees that once she and Jenik host their family and friends in their hillside open-sided dwelling, they'll all want one of the thatched roof constructions on their properties. She adds, "It's one of those things that you don't know you need until you have it. And now everyone who's gonna come to my house is gonna say, 'Oh my God, I need a palapa!' Everyone needs one."

I figure if it hadn't been big and mainstream the first time around, then we wouldn't have all this cool stuff now.

That's fine if it hits the big time again, it'll just give me more fodder to choose from.

Plus, if it hits the mainstream, the next Witco or Martin Denny may be exposed to Tiki and might not have otherwise.

More shirt options is always cool, too.

I spoke to my sister the other day, who is a buyer for a high street fashion chain. Although not necessarily 'Tiki', the big look on the street for next summer is being dubbed 'Aloha'.

Secret is evil.

It is made by Proctor & Gamble which actively conducts horrible, unmentionable laboratory tests on animals (not just mice and rats, but dogs, cats, bunnies, etc).

Don't let their tikis fool you...

Just my 2 cents.

S

Oh well. I can always carve Santos [but Tikis are just so much cooler and fun to make]

T

On 2005-06-24 07:51, Deery Luau wrote:
Secret is evil.

It is made by Proctor & Gamble which actively conducts horrible, unmentionable laboratory tests on animals (not just mice and rats, but dogs, cats, bunnies, etc).

Don't let their tikis fool you...

Just my 2 cents.

Well, that fits in with the Satanic logo they use!

My old man worked for P&G untill he retired. P&G put food on our table and clothes on our backs.

I have fought over discussions like this... I will not deny or acknowlage the animal testing, because 95% of major industries stil do it to some extent. But what is nasty is that the same chemicals that are used to make crisco and zest soap.. is also used to make dr. pepper and other consumable products. Disgusting.

read this:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_283.html

P&G has the tesamony somewhere, but I haven't the time to look right now.

I see that Crest has a new Toothpaste flavor (one of four to be voted for or against) called Tropica Exotica. I guess they probably already squirted that in some Poodle's eyes and found out it was okay (for poodles, anyway). I just wonder... If they're trying to win us over with different flavors, why don't they just go into the Cocktail business? From now on, instead of brushing my teeth, I think I'll just have a Zombie.

Not to worry, I hear the next big thing is not Tiki/tropical at all but Safari. (I don't know who decides these things)Tropical, but less humid. I remember the desert boots and Safari jackets of the sixties. Ooooh, can't wait until they are back in style.
If you have any doubts just look at Domestication.com's website (budget class marketers of linens) In the past two years their summer catolog was almost all Hawaiian florals and tropical reef fish prints, now the majority of new summer designs are African animal images and patterns. Most of the basic materials will be the same; bamboo, ratan, grass cloth, with maybe a fake zebra skin and a few tribal masks thrown in, but no tikis. Watch and see.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 25, 2005 4:25 AM

On 2005-06-25 03:11, nuimaleko wrote:
Not to worry, I hear the next big thing is not Tiki/tropical at all but Safari.

I just can't wait to be able to wear my pith helmut in public again!

W

'Oh my God, I need a palapa!' Everyone needs one."

That's just so Hollywood.....heh

I just hope they can find time to stay married, what with their busy schedule and all...

Hey...I have a palapa...it's a small one, and it has a slide out the side for my son...but we love it......so it's not just Hollywood...

but.....errr....we used to live there....

ugh....well....we love it!

Pages: 1 2 59 replies