Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where is the Tiki?

Pages: 1 9 replies

My fellow Polynesia enthusiasts,
I was courteously directed to this site by Tikifishlady in search of an answer to the following question: Does anyone know where the closest Tiki bar is to Minneapolis, Minnesota? I saw on various sites that there may be some in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. Does anyone know of one closer in proximity to Minneapolis? The Red Dragon in Minneapolis does NOT fill the bill. It is a run-down dump but at least they still serve pu-pu and strong tropical drinks. Thanks for your time- Doug

[ Edited by: slovakdjh 2015-01-20 15:15 ]

S

Ask King Kini. If anybody knows, he knows. Is it ClubVelvet.com???

FG

Yes... you are looking for Club Velvet!

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:37 ]

[ Edited by: slovakdjh 2015-01-20 15:21 ]

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:37 ]

S

A good friend of mine used to spin lounge at a club or two in Minneapolis a few years ago. That went by "For Lovers Only." He did a weekly radio (cable) show too. Then there was Vic Volare who had a thing going too.

It was good to have the chance to spin the old records, but he said noone dressed lounge, even at his lounge night at the club. He was pretty suprised when he came to Atlanta and found people coming out to MJQ and dressing lounge and playing lounge.

From what I understand, King Kini got tired of spending much effort on Club Velvet without a lot of interest and return enthusiasm. I can understand that.

We have long wanted to do a DJ gig here in Knoxville. Our biggest problem is that the places we know we could play are beer bars or more dives and we want a more upscale liquor bar. We still hold out hope. But we also realize we can't expect others to fuel our interest. They are actually going to drain us. If you want to spend the energy to do something like that, you have to get the real energy from yourself.

Thus my Internet Radio broadcast. It's great to have listeners, but really, I do it because I enjoy the music and listen myself. If I tried to do it to please someone else, I'd be over it real quick.

FG

Keep your eyes open for the Chin Tiki to reopen in Detroit some time in the near future.

Thanks for the shout-out, Dane. I should point out that while I do play ukulele and have a penchant for Hawaiian shirts (I am, in fact, wearing one now), and while I collect tiki mugs and other items of Polynesian kitsch, my music is mostly Tin Pan Alley-based--so those looking to hear "On the Beach at Waikiki" on ukulele will be disappointed.

Just as I have been int rying to search out tiki culture here in the Twin Cities. There used to be a few bars, particularly up until the Sixties (there was a massive bar/restaurant in Minnetonka), but they are all gone, alas, alas.

On 2002-05-30 08:21, Swanky wrote:

We have long wanted to do a DJ gig here in Knoxville. Our biggest problem is that the places we know we could play are beer bars or more dives and we want a more upscale liquor bar. We still hold out hope. But we also realize we can't expect others to fuel our interest. They are actually going to drain us. If you want to spend the energy to do something like that, you have to get the real energy from yourself.

Thus my Internet Radio broadcast. It's great to have listeners, but really, I do it because I enjoy the music and listen myself. If I tried to do it to please someone else, I'd be over it real quick.

Buddy, I have the energy and the willingness. How about you lending me the money and we can really get something accomplished?-Douglas J. Hann(Slovak DJH)

[ Edited by: Douglas J. Hann on 2002-06-29 17:30 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies