Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Why Disneyland Sucks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 225 replies

The Skull Rock and Skyway postcard images are coooooool.
Nice views of that stuff.

I totally forgot about the Keel boat ride.
Probably because it was boring anyway.

K

Ahhh the Tahitian Terrace. I drove the Jungle Cruise in the summer of 90 and always enjoyed the view as they were getting ready to start the shows. Then they made it "Aladdin's Oasis" or some thing like that. Not sure what it is now though.

Swiss Family Tree House was changed to Tarzan's Treehouse - not sure what it is now.

I was really pissed when they changed one of the scenes in Pirates. Now instead of Pirates doing what they do - chase women - they chase women because they are carrying food. Although I haven't been to DL since the movies came out and they made even more changes. Dead Men Tell No Tails

The sky buckets were AWESOME! Except that people kept trying to climb out and fall to their deaths.

I am still pissed that they changed the Enchanted Tiki Room!

Keith
Jungle Cruise '90

On 2009-02-12 09:42, Unga Bunga wrote:
I totally forgot about the Keel boat ride.
Probably because it was boring anyway.

It's not boring when they overload one and let it tip over:
http://jungleis101.blogspot.com/2008/07/mike-fink-keel-boats-may-1997-accident.html

you know all ragging aside.
and there is alot of stuff to rag on Disney about.

the 1 thing that they did that I thought for the better was.
The remodel of Fantasyland. and the addition of the Pinochio ride.
old pics of Fantasyland make it look like a Cheap circus.
now it looks more like a European village.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-03-11 09:22, bigtikidude wrote:
you know all ragging aside.
and there is alot of stuff to rag on Disney about.

the 1 thing that they did that I thought for the better was.
The remodel of Fantasyland.

Unless you happened to really like Pirates' Cove, Skull Rock, and Cap'n Hook's Jolly Roger (aka the Chicken-of-the-Sea restaurant -- sure the cuisine was a tad mediocre, but that full-scale ship was a beautiful sight...) sigh...

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-03-11 20:31 ]

TS

Had they only incorporated the Pirate Ship Restaurant into the new fantasyland....That was one piece of eyecandy that looked good day and night! In Fact it was so well themed, that it was a great piece of "escapism", without having to get on an actual attraction, so long as you were facing the lagoon side of the ship!

I thought the ship was ok, not great, not horrible.
but the Lagoon, and Skull rock was amazing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 7:29 AM

Went to Disneyland two days ago for my visiting Aunt's birthday.

Now I was all prepared to run the place down, smirk at the crazy changes they've made over the years and generally have a superior attitude about the whole experience.

But - we had a really great time! There were a lot of changes made that were new to us, and we LIKED them! I LIKE the Nemo ride, it's perfect for little kids. It's popular, its fun, the new sub costumes are cool, and the colors of the yellow and blue subs are perfect! It was FUN! Picking over details like the loss of the giant squid just seemed out of place.

The new bride at the top of the Haunted Mansion is freakin' scary!

So are the little dioramas/view boxes in the Pirate Island cave, the guy chained up at the end is really frightening and dead looking, when his face changes it scared the little kid in front of us so much he ran out screaming. Tht's gonna be one big emotional scar. He he heeee!

And the merch was really good. Well designed shirts are back. There was a pretty nice women's one with a 30's era Mickey and Minnie exiting a movie theater, Minnie gushing "I loved that movie! It was so romantic!" while Mickey just scowled at her. It was genuinely funny.

Somebody is doing everything he or she can to eradicate the Pressler Era at Disneyland, and it's working.

Our take on the whole park was so radically different, so upside down, that it really made me think and look at what the people working there were actually doing.

Most of the time they were cleaning up after people who litter.

And here's the very strong impression I got everywhere in that park; it was really made to make people happy. They try hard, they really do. Jeez, they've built a big pink and gold castle for you, there it is, right over there, and you can go up in it again. It's really cool. Here's a ride that takes you into outer space. Here's one that goes into deepest Africa. And it's all free once you get inside. If it's your birthday, heck, its all free anyway! And there's a big fireworks show at the end. What else ya want, ya bunch of bananas?

But are people happy? Do they go around smiling all day and having fun with their kids?

Mostly, nope.

I've never seen such bad parenting. It's disgusting. It's shameful. Kids scream for attention everywhere. They are yelled at, mostly ignored, yanked from one ride to another and I mean YANKED. Parents bring gigantic strollers so they won't have to carry their own children, and so they can strap them into a movable prison when they 'act up', meaning run around and have fun. I saw kids that were 8-10 years old who were banished to the stroller & locked in. Over and over and over, hundreds of kids. It was weird.

We saw kids screaming in restaurants for the entire time their parents ate lunch. At the end of the lunch the mom would give the kid the very last corner of her corn dog. The kid went dead silent while he'd eat it, then scream for more. He didn't get any. This would happen all day, everywhere.

Dogs are treated better.

And I can't tell you how many times I saw a parent shake a kid in furious anger. Or kids break into tears when they did it. Or parents promise kids that they were "... never ever coming back here!"

It was all way scarier than the Indiana Jones ride.

But .... we had fun anyway!

I agree the last few times I went to D-land, the screaming kids, and the insane parents were really a big turn off.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

but seriously,Jeff..

What doesn't BUM you out?

Besides Surf bands, I can't think of anything else.....
:)

L

I think going to Disney brings out the worst in parents.

The one blessing you all have in SoCal vs going to DisneyWorld in Orlando is that you don't have to stand in long lines surrounded by screaming children in ungodly heat and humidity.

Try hitting a theme park in mid-August when it feels like 105 with 90% humidity and THEN you will really see the worst parent/child relationships come alive.

I watched a parent dump their soda over their kids head after 2 hours of him complaining of the heat while standing in line for Big Thunder Mountain.

I dont know how it is in Disneyland but in Disneyworld BTM is all these winding lines that take you in areas with little air circulation and everyone standing hip to hip pretty much.

I have also seen parents punch their kids before while they stood in line and complained.

AT least children grow up associating Mickey with family violence!

I have been at Disneyland in Ca. many times as a kid and teen, where it was 90 plus degrees and pretty high humidity.
and everybody sweating like stuck pigs
not a picnic at all.
but I'm sure its not as bad as Florida.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It's great to hear that people are going and having fun. I have annual passes for my daughter and myself and we go probably about once a month. The best thing about the passes is they take the pressure off to have to do everything at the park in one day - you can always come back another time!
I will tell you this for certain about going with kids, they are a pain in the keister! My daughter likes to start the day by arguing with everything I say. Then she moves on to complaining about everything she's experiencing. After several hours of too many people, too many lines, and too many OTHER people's whining kids on top of the crap from my own, it's easy to lose it. Don't get me wrong, there are days when we have a happy sunshiney fun blast of a day (actually most of the time), and there are days that just suck like a black hole. Usually the more people there (like now during spring break) the worse it gets. Happy place or not, that's just life with kids, and Disneyland is a place where people take their kids, so ya gotta get past it.

I admit I have taken my daughter firmly by the arm and hauled her ass to the sidelines to have a "serious" talk with her about her behavior, and threatened to "leave right now" between clenched teeth. I love ya honey, but if you don't shut up, I'll have to take you out! (just kidding- please don't email me about what a crappy parent I am). BUT, there is absolutely no excuse to ever, ever punch, shake, or put your kid in lock down. I think if I saw that, I would say something to the parent, then they can be pissed at ME instead of their kid. I do think people get under pressure to try and do too much and their kids don't get naps, or eat right, or even eat at all (those hot dog tidbits could be beacuse the darling refused to eat their own food earlier), or go to bed on time because they're trying to do too much in the day. It's sad to see for sure. But kids get way stressed out too by all the same stuff adults do, they just don't have any coping mechanisms. Parents should be better equiped to handle it. Thank god I can go over to California Adventure and get a beer and chill! Mommy needs her medicine! :wink: Then we go on California Screamin'! Wheeeee! And it's all better. I say, let's put the FUN back into the disfunctional family!

So for me the one thing that Disneyland doesn't do right is manage all the people they let in the gate every day. The lines to get in the gate, the lines for rides, the lines for food, the lines for the bathroom. It makes me cranky just thinking about it. I would be happier if they just had a lower daily "maximum occupancy" and then the people inside might actually enjoy themselves more. If I didn't get in on busy days, then so be it. I can go back another time. People who are on vacation should allow more time because it does get REALLY crowded during peak seasons. Learn how to really work the Fast Pass System and you're half way there. Take a kid with you that has a special assistance pass and you're home free! No lines for rides! Whooo! But ya still have the kid issues, regardless.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-04-03 00:28 ]

I find that a quick stop at the UVA bar or the wine tasting area in DCA helps take the edge off the crowds, etc...

TS

On 2009-04-03 00:24, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
So for me the one thing that Disneyland doesn't do right is manage all the people they let in the gate every day. The lines to get in the gate, the lines for rides, the lines for food, the lines for the bathroom. It makes me cranky just thinking about it. I would be happier if they just had a lower daily "maximum occupancy" and then the people inside might actually enjoy themselves more.

I'll also add that, Disneyland has taken away every open area possible to accomodate more shops/vendors/carts to sell, sell, sell....They even reworked the whole walkway(s) at Rivers of America, just to cram more people into a much more confined area, for the fireworks and shows. The multiple paths are in essence smaller, but there are more of them. The overcrowding is rediculous, and makes for more stressful visits. Maybe that is one of the leading factors of frownie faces! I know I get upset at dodging crowds, strollers, uncontrolled kids, obese people carts, and the vendor lines that stick halfway out into a major walkways...For me, the crowds are the only thing that really burn and bum me out on my visits. I have yet to go on a rainy day, but it looks like I may give it a try one of these days.

MR

Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you. Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with youDisneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you. Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you. Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you. Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you.Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you. Disneyland rules. My kids rule and are always well-behaved. The number of people crammed in just ups the rate of people happy to be there with you.
This works for me.

"Your eyelinds are getting heavy . . . You are getting very sleepy. . . .when I count backwards from 10 you will awaken and feel refreshed . . . "

if I would have acted up as a kid there, my dad would have smacked the shit outta me. and deservedly I think.
of course I was a well behaved kid out of fear of being beat to hell.
maybe that's whats wrong with me now.

as for going to D-land, when its busy.
F**K that.
I live to close and have been there to many times.

if I am gonna go back,
rainy weds. in Nov.
period.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll just add this to my rant above and then I'm done - there are a lot of adults with very bad manners. They push, they try to cut in line and pretend they don't understand, they use their strollers as battering rams to get through a crowd, blah, blah, blady-blaaaah. . .
So you pretty much know who the poorly behaved kids belong to now, dontcha? I don't blame the children! I blame the parents who taught them how to behave!
Get a bunch of THOSE families at Disneyland on a crowded day and you've got a recipe for a pretty stressful day.
That is all. I'm going tomorrow to buy a Rongo bowl if there's any left!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 10:20 AM

So we went to California Adventure yesterday and haven't been there for quite a long time.

They're going to do a giant overhaul on the whole thing pretty soon, so we wanted to see it while it was still in the original presentation.

It was actually a LOT more fun than the average crowded day at Disneyland, more people were smiling, there were no bad tempers on display; it was strange. Cause California Adventure just isn't THAT interesting. Disneyland has about 1000 times more craftsmanship and imagination poured into it, no contest.

What California Adventure does have is lots of outdoor fun, lots of walking, not too much commercialization, and really great soft ice cream that has flavors swirled in with it. What's not to like? We spent at least an hour in the Grizzly Peaks area, running up and down rope ladders and getting wet on the river ride, burning off energy and having lots of fun. No lines.

It works.

But here's the deal – they’re gonna change the whole thing. Which could be really great with more rides, better theme areas, etc. But it looks pretty bad, cause they had a little presentation area that shows you exactly how they’re going to change the park.

And here’s what they’re planning.

They’re just going to give the whole thing to PIXAR.

And they’re going to change the whole entry area from California to 1930’s BURBANK.

That’s correct, its gonna be the wild wonderful, world of 1930’s BURBANK! They’ll have stores just like in the depression! Pharmacies! A shoe store! WOW!

“Hey, mom, I don’t want to go to Pirate Island or Space Mountain! I wanna go to 1930’S BURBANK!”
“We can’t go there first, son, your dad wants to go on Thunder Mountain.”
“WAAAAH! I wanna go to Burbank!”
“We live in Burbank, son.”
“But I wanna go to 1930’s Burbank!”
“No.”
“WAAAAAAAAH!!!!”

Somehow it doesn’t make sense, y’know?

And the biggest problem at CA has always been the heat and lack of trees, and any shade anywhere. So the giant new area at the back of the park they’re planning on building real soon is going to be CARLAND, just like in Pixar’s Cars movie. And like 95% of the area and ride will be set in the Route 66 desert. I’m not kidding. Now the real Route 66 goes through some of the nicest farmland, prettiest hills and most amazing scenery in the nation, but for some reason they’re choosing the Arizona badlands to compress the whole theme into. Just like in the movie.

“Waaaah! Mommy, I want to get in a car!”
“We left our car in the parking lot, son.”
“NO! NOT THAT CAR! THAT CAR!”
“Uh, we don’t want to get in a car and drive on a blazing hot desert highway, son. We can do that anyday on the 5 freeway.”
“WAAAAAAAH!!!!!”

I don’t know, maybe it’ll work...

"why Disneyland Sucks?"

Toy Story on Ice
anything on Ice

it's just wrong...

If Disney REALLY wanted to give California Adventure authentic magic --

• A LOT of tikis; a whole super Polynesian Pop restaurant destination: TV's-meets-Crane's Luau-meets-The Tikis-meets-Bahooka -- on steroids... (and tie it in to a renaissance-restoration of the Tahitian Terrace over in the Magic Kingdom.) Donn Beach and Vic Bergeron walk-arounds (arguing with each other over who created the Mai Tai)...

• A RADICAL expansion of the "Soaring" area, ramping-up an awesome collection of vintage "Right Stuff"-era aviation: multiple simulator rides, immersive interactive media, Chuck Yeager and Howard Hughes walk-arounds... (they would ALSO offer RAY-BANS for sale, the numbskulls, and realize they have a MAJOR tie-in opportunity with all the vintage WW II/South Seas themed goodies at Downtown Disney's "Island Charters" shop -- e.g., hot babe-bomber nose art-leather flight jackets, and model B-24's, and X-15's, and -- oh why don't these people GET IT...?)

• A TOTAL HOT-ROD "Cruise Scene" -- Van Nuys Blvd-meets-Bob's Toluca Lake-meets-American Graffitti-on the Sunset Strip: a Peterson Museum-style immersion into the cars of yesterday and tomorrow ("Hydrogen Hotrod", baby), with Willow Springs-style simulator racing, interactive "design your own hot-rod" souvenir stations and custom VonDutch-style personalized apparel; George Barris, Big Daddy Roth and Rat Fink walk arounds...

• Weird O's*, and Universal Monsters* (*they made a deal with Lucas, didn't they? Well then...), and a "Summer-of-Love Herbal Tea Garden" where you can paint flowers on your date's face listening to Jefferson Airplane, and squeeze your own orange juice...

• and SURF! -- A whole Beach-Blanket-Bingopalooza, where today's killer surf bands can play with yesterday's greats (Dick Dale, Dick Dale...), just around the magnificent rock-and-palm faux-beach point (that SHOULD be there), that the TIKI stuff is on the OTHER SIDE OF (so the surf and exotica music don't clash), and you can TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF and wade around in the sand and foam, and meld between both scenes...; sim-surfboard rides and old woodie safari souvenir pics, with after-dark beach campfire sing-alongs (remember when it wasn't illegal to have real after-dark-beach campfires? Sigh...). Muscle Beach bods and Frankie and Annette walk-arounds...

That's what I believe "Disney's California Adventure" should include; that's what MADE California an adventure.

None of this is beyond Disney's technical capabilities, but, sadly, it does seem to be beyond their current imagination...

So what do we get? Pass and Alameda, and Mickey in black & white? These guys need to bring in some talent that knows how to dream on Walt's scale -- but then I suspect they'd be afraid to risk that. Maybe take another meeting about it...

Sheesh.

They rent too many dog damned strollers! I swear I'm not going to take my future children until they are at least 5 years old! I know the place is for kids, but there is an abuse of strollers.I seen more than a few kids who seemed to be over 5 years of age sitting clamshelled in mommy's stroller. And if that isn't enough, you see people bringing in their own "double-wides" to mow down more ankles at a time....I seriously wanted to punch people, but then I had a Dole Whip float and everything seemed bliss again...

On 2009-04-21 00:28, Tom Slick wrote:
They rent too many dog damned strollers! I swear I'm not going to take my future children until they are at least 5 years old! I know the place is for kids, but there is an abuse of strollers.I seen more than a few kids who seemed to be over 5 years of age sitting clamshelled in mommy's stroller. And if that isn't enough, you see people bringing in their own "double-wides" to mow down more ankles at a time....I seriously wanted to punch people, but then I had a Dole Whip float and everything seemed bliss again...

I said the exact same thing as you - we managed to hold off for 2 years and couldn't wait any longer (my husband would have taken her when she was 6 months if I would have let him). And having a stroller is my revenge for all of those years of getting hit with other peoples' strollers. Bwa ha ha ha.

Terra
[email protected]

On my visits to D-land, I have wondered how very young children (infants and toddlers) percieve the place. Is it a magical wonderland where their favorite cartoon characters come to life? Or is it an unfamiliar noisy place full of strange noisy people and the costumed characters are seen as big scary 6 foot mice/ducks/dogs with frozen expressions on their face? There are always lots of crying infants and toddlers at the happiest place on Earth.

on Ca. adventures on sun.
there were some of the nosiest screaming kids I had ever heard/seen.

and then a couple cool kids.
I saw this one, about 1 year old.
walking about 25 feet away from his parents, just with the biggest smiley on his face, and all he was looking at was a hill with grass and trees on it.
and not making a peep, just diggin the day.

wish there were more like that.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-04-21 11:51, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
There are always lots of crying infants and toddlers at the happiest place on Earth.

I think the crying is not as much about Disney, but rather stupid parents who don't pay attention to their kids' cues. It's a big place with a lot going on, and it's a parent's job to make sure their child isn't getting hungry, overwhelmed, and stressed out. I used to be totally anti-Disney before the age of 3 or 4 but have found that it is an absolute joy to take our 2-year-old. Annual passes are a godsend for people with young kids that can only hang for a couple of hours at a time.
If I was being dragged around, waiting in lines all day in a place that is crowded and often hot, having nothing to eat but ice cream and french fries, I would want to cry as well! The poor kids' nerves are just raw!

CJ

On 2009-01-27 10:04, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2009-01-26 21:04, Coco Joe wrote:
I wasn't sure where to ask this since there's no threads that pertain to the topic but what ever happen to the awesome tiki show they used to have? I remember it was in the lake/pond on the grounds of the disney hotel which had a fire dancers, outriggers, and hula girls with big boobies. I watched this show several times since my church (Melodyland) was just across the street going up. I would love if someone could share something and let me get my childhood jollys covered.

Regards,

Joe me is drunk

I remember a Polynesian dinner show next to the Tiki Room with fire dancers and hula girls. It was "sponsored by Kikkoman" and had mediocre food but the best coffee. Sometime in the early '90's it became the Aladdin dinner show. I don't remember one occuring on the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel.

This talks about the show I was speaking of

http://tikiarchitecture.blogspot.com/2011/06/trader-sams-disneylands-new-tiki-bar.html

On 2011-06-17 12:13, Coco Joe wrote:

This talks about the show I was speaking of

The Pacific Terrific! revue at the Disneyland Hotel

http://magicalhotel.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Not a whole lot of documentation on it. Probably because it's not within the official boundaries of Disneyland.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

J

On 2011-10-10 12:01, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2011-10-10 11:15, JOHN-O wrote:
:D >

Sorry John, not good enough. You have to use this.

Unga,

The last time I used a Disney icon to make a point I got a beat down by Disney lawyers. Here's a true story...

Several years ago I was making a sales presentation to an IT group at Disney's HQ in Burbank. Now it's always good selling to personalize your Powerpoint presentation with your prospect's brand. I happened to use some images of Mickey Mouse and (my favorite character) Pluto. I was promptly informed by Disney procurement officials in the audience that I had no authority to leverage their characters in that way. They were NOT joking.

That's when I learned that the "magic" in the Magic Kingdom is trade-marked, copy-righted, and backed by an army of lawyers.

Just don't tell the 6-year olds. :(

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-10-10 13:52 ]

On 2007-11-28 20:31, Hiphipahula wrote:

On 2007-11-28 18:32, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2007-11-28 18:04, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Four words. Adventure Through Inner Space. It was my favorite ride of all time. Still haven't gotten over that one.

AND THERE! IS THE NUCLIOUS OF THE MOLICULE! (BUCKET SPINS AROUND & SHOWS YOU THE BIG RED LIGHT BALL)

Well ditto on what has already been said, but when I was Disneylanding as a teen in the 60's (my drug years) this was my traditional first ride of the day as it was fabulous for peaking on acid and then later in the day for necking with the cute guys me and the girlfriends picked up that day at the park.

VampiressRN, You drugged out slut! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-10-10 16:29 ]

Damn you Chuck...you know you enjoyed it!!! :lol:

Is it true that...
Disneyland thorough security includes security cameras on all rides and that amorous teens thought that they were hidden from view inThe Adventure through Inner Space but were actually giving a little show to Disneyland cast members?

So that is where the Video "Hot, Wet & Nasty Disney Sluts" came from!

UB
C
Cammo posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2012 12:23 PM

Went to Disneyland yesterday for the first time in about 2 years.

More things have been changed, and I thought the new changes sucked before but the NEWEST ONES REALLY SUCK NOW.

Here's the thing; the more I talk to people now about how cool Disneyland used to be, the more they think I'm lying! They just don't believe that New Orleans Square had a real Voodoo shop, or that every store was a theme store with actual theme goods, or that almost no rides had locking doors, or that the Golden Horseshoe had sexy shows, or that you could splash people on the Jungle Cruise, or heck, man - that you could simply park right in front of the main entrance.

I'll try to post the recent batch of misdeeds, but co-Tiki-Centralists don't forget that I am posting this because I LIKE Disneyland, not because I hate the place or have anything against that lovable little scamp Mickey.

Here's a question for now - are Pixar characters truly Disney characters?

Are they?

And even if Disney bought Star Wars for 4 billion, does that make it Disney too? Because forget about Tomorrowland now, it's gonna be Star Warfare Land for the rest of your life. Just letting you know.

ABC and Disney are the same company, right? Does that mean that ABC shows will start having rides at Disneyland, Hannah Montana and Lost (why not) because that's the first thing they handed us at the parking lot; cheesy ABC advertising flyers...

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2012 1:47 PM

Oh, and by the way, WHY DOES DISNEYLAND SUCK?

Here's why; because it's just as easy to make the wrong decision as the right one. And it's just as hard, too.

Because it actually does NOT take only brains to make the correct decision, it takes something more. It takes an almost supernatural ability to foresee the future, and it takes TALENT, which is something they definitely can't teach you at the best colleges.

There are dozens of good reasons quoted for every bad decision. History is full of them.

There's usually only one reason for a good decision, and it takes the cunning of a lion hunting bastard to see that reason before it's invaded your camp.

Walt Disney was hounded every inch of the way when he asked his "Imagineers" to build him a giant treehouse. They said they couldn't and more - that it shouldn't be built, for literally hundreds of reasons. People would fall to their deaths! Kids would try to climb the branches! Walt said, nah, just put cool looking fences beside the path you climb up. The stair are too steep! they warned him. Hah, said Walt, people will want to climb. It's fun. They'll enjoy the exercise.

Finally Walt had to tell everybody the real reason he wanted them to build it; cause he wanted the biggest damn treehouse in the world and shut up and START BUILDING IT YOU &%@$HEADS!!!!

TM

I am kind of torn these days, for the disneyland I loved during the 70s and that I wish they had never changed...and some of the positive changes and new things they have done recently.

For example, Indiana jones is an excellent ride!

And california adventure has become really cool...if you don't mind pixar related rides, that is!

Pixar, especially their CEO John Lasseter, is tiki. There is a tiki office at Pixar and Lasseter has a collection of over 800 Hawaiian shirts. Maybe they'll incorporate some Pixar tiki elements into California Adventure. Quite a few tiki Easter eggs are in Pixar movies.
I think Buena Vista Street is gorgeous. The architectural detail and the hand painted tiles are amazing. Cars Land is also very impressive.
It's interesting that Disneyland doesn't have more original souvenirs. When the Adventureland Bazaar had some painted wooden tropical birds on metal rings a few months ago those things sold out fast.
The last time I went to Disneyland was in October and I was surprised to notice that the drunk pirate wallowing around in the mud with the pigs was gone from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Maybe he was out for repairs? Hopefully he wasn't a victim of the PC police like other parts of Pirates have been.

TM

On 2012-12-03 10:35, tikilongbeach wrote:
I think Buena Vista Street is gorgeous. The architectural detail and the hand painted tiles are amazing. Cars Land is also very impressive.

I agree. So far, I have found almost every "land" in CA to be very cool, with the exception of the paradise pier area near the rollercoaster, and the airfield section near "soaring over california".

The art deco styling of Buena Vista street is expecially nice. Bugs land has a LOT of ornamental tropical foliage, (the kind used in tiki restaurants and venues since the genre was created) and hollywood land is also really cool. The "Cannery" section is visually appealling, and of course Cars land is super awesome. I even like the Grizzly rapids area, finding it to be an improved version of what Knott's has to offer.

But really, the biggest thing to watch for is how great these places look at night, all lit up.

TM

ahhhh, NOW I remember why I have not had a pass for years. I tried to go yesterday after work....now, you would think on a freezing Thursday night with people out supposed to be xmas shopping, that it would not be too busy. Wrong.

The line of cars into the parking structure was long. Took me about 20 minutes to get to the attendant. I could not turn around because once you get in line, you are fully committed.

I asked the attendant what was up with this huge, fracking crowd....and he said that the dec 21st people all wanted to get one last disneyland day in, before the world ended. So, because of these dismal idiots, I was in for a rough ride!

After driving 3 times around the perimeter of the parking structure's level I was on, I gave up. There were no parking attendants (the ones that normally guide the parking) and no way to ascend to a higher parking level....so I was stuck, driving in circles. There were NO spaces available on the level I was on. Not one. There were a about 20 spaces I COULD have parked in if the lazy scumbags with their huge trucks had not parked at an angle, thus covering two spaces.

All I can say is, this was a trip fail. Good thing I did not pay 15 bucks for this.

The crowds are why I didn't renew my pass after having one for the past 6 years. That, and the huge price increase just made it not worth it to me anymore.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 225 replies