Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Why Disneyland Sucks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 225 replies

TM

On 2007-12-27 10:54, Cammo wrote:
Part 3

Disneyland has always been overcrowded.

Opening day in 1955 was estimated at 15,000; the amount of invite-only tickets made. 28,154 showed up, famously climbing over the embankments and printing literally thousands of duplicate tickets to get in. This both scared and enticed Walt, who went to work with his planners to design new walk areas & line queues to allow Disneyland to hold 30,000 people.

Nowadays, low attendance days are anything under 30,000. Ask a Cast Member, any cast Member, they always know the daily totals. It gets around the grapevine really fast; “We’re up to 25, 35 projected.” The workers physically relax when they know less than 30,000 are coming into the park that day. They know it will be an easy day, a fun time for everybody.

Because the moderate-busy days are up to 50,000. A normal weekend, a regular Friday night in May, that’s the average attendance, 50,000 to 60,000. The staff gets keyed up on these days, they know they can’t devote much time to the niceties, and they all start working more like machines. You can see it in their eyes.

But it’s the busy-day attendance numbers that scare everybody. Employees dread working in the park on those days, especially the ones who have to work out in the crowds. On a busy day, there can be 70 - 85,000 guests in the park. At 85 or 86,000 Park Managers seem to be required to actually call the County Fire Marshall, who officially closes the front doors. Why have they picked this number? Why not 75,000? It can’t be based on exit strategies, in case of a fire, say. There seem to be no exit plans. Or on the inability to get emergency vehicles anywhere into the park, because on busy days you simply can’t move anywhere.

Maybe it’s based on food reserves that can be served. Who knows?

But here are the real numbers; *85,000 doesn’t count Cast Members! *It’s an attendance figure only.

So with 5000 – 10,000 Cast Members in the park (Disney won’t release figures on any of this, so it’s really hard to pin down) working above and below ground, coming and going, running parades, security everywhere, the actual numbers in the park can be up to 95,000.

But – that doesn’t count those BIG STROLLERS. Because they take up the room of two to three people. And it doesn’t count Fatmobiles, the electric cars those old fat people ride when they can’t fit into wheelchairs anymore. They as well take up the room of 2-3 people. As a matter of fact, the only way of getting yourself any room in Disneyland on a busy day is to ride a Fatmobile and charge directly at a crowd. People run! It’s great sport!

So – if 1 person in 10 brings a huge stroller, and 1 in 20 bring a Fatmobile, on a busy day the park is crowded with in effect 107,750 people! And this is a lowball estimate.

The problem is, it’s the job of Disney Management to get more people to come to the park, not less. High attendance is of course seen as a good thing. A profit of as little as $10 per guest can be as high as 800,000 in profit per day on busy days! At 15,000,000 per year attending, that’s $150,000,000 in profit per year. Every year. For ever.

And that’s why you see all those billboards on Highway 5 trying to get more people to come to the Park. They want more people. It’s their job, and they do it very well. More people come there every year. It ruins the experience, but nobody cares. Even visitors don’t seem to care, even when they can only go on 3-5 rides a day. And how do you make people NOT come to Disneyland? And why?

The problem is, there may be no solution to any of this. People think that if they really look at any bad situation long enough and ponder hard enough, an answer will pop up that will solve everything. But maybe this just isn’t solvable. Maybe there’s no way to fix it.

So –

What Would Walt Do?

God-DAMN! You are SO right! I take particular issue with the size of the strollers and the fat people carts.

Somewhere I have holiday photos of the place in the 70's, and they show so few people...you can actually see and appreciate the place they'd built. It's really a beautiful sight if you get the crowds of people out of the way. It's unlikely a person will get to see such a thing unless you're there for the very early opening moments of the day.

Disneyland hits capacity and stops sales
December 28th, 2007 · Post a Comment · posted by stully
The week between Christmas and New Year’s Day traditionally is the busiest of the year for Disneyland. And this week is no different.

At least three times this week, Disneyland had to stop letting new visitors in because too many people were crowding the park. This afternoon, electronic readers on roads in the Disneyland area warned visitors that tickets were sold out for the day. When that happens, Disneyland has to turn people away, sending them to the sister park at Disney’s California Adventure or elsewhere.

“This is the time of year we are extra popular,” said Rob Doughty, a Disneyland spokesman. “We get to a point, to protect the guest experience, we will divert people to go to Disney’s California Adventure.”

The park is expected to stay crowded through Tuesday. Doughty suggests that guests arrive early before noon so they can get in.

Hours are 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. Overnight on Monday - New Year’s Eve - the park will stay open from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.

ocregister.com

I did get turned away last year 2006 x-mas season, Fire Marshall Orders! I did go to Ca. Adventure instead. Always call first so you will not experience a let down. The ball is always in your court, ask & they will tell you of less crowded times or dates. I don't think this is too much to ask.

I just ran away from home
Now I'm going to dizz knee land
I just crashed my car again
I just robbed a grocery store
I'm going to dizz knee land
I just flipped off President George

I just tossed a fifth of gin
I just got cuffed a gin
Shot my gun into the night
I just saw a good man die

Hey

Kicked my ass out of school
Rolled me out into the street
Hitched a ride on a monkey's back
Headed west into the black

I'm going to dizz knee land!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-31 12:02 ]

The sad part about the overcrowdedness is that, according to the annual Disney stockholders report, Disneyland itself loses money every year. Those expensive tickets are not enough to support the cost to operate. Even with the overcrowding. I think this is why on "moderate" days they shut a lot of stuff down. Also why they push the overpriced merchandise on you everywhere. It is hard, I imagine, to run a failing business whose motto (and/or advertising promise) is the "Happiest Place on Earth."

And yet, would you prefer it to close down? I, for one, would not.

TM

Not close down. Improve it, though. I think the idea of deep-sixing the annual pass is the best one. If everyone had to pay a chunk for one day only, they would be less likely to sit around clogging main street waiting for a parade.

If I knew the Disney experience would be like it was when I was younger, then I would gladly pay 60-70 bucks for a one shot deal. I would not get to go 98 times per year, like I have in recent years, but the day spent would be a better one.

On 2008-01-03 20:28, lucas vigor wrote:
Not close down. Improve it, though. I think the idea of deep-sixing the annual pass is the best one. If everyone had to pay a chunk for one day only, they would be less likely to sit around clogging main street waiting for a parade.

If I knew the Disney experience would be like it was when I was younger, then I would gladly pay 60-70 bucks for a one shot deal. I would not get to go 98 times per year, like I have in recent years, but the day spent would be a better one.

Ridiculous

TM

Uh, why? Care to elaborate?

Getting rid of the annual pass eliminates the "cheap skates" who just go to Disneyland to babysit their kids and watch a parade, eat churros and change diapers in the middle of main street.

Disneyland operated just fine for years with tickets. And you can now sell them on e-bay. So define "ridiculous".

T

On 2008-01-04 08:17, lucas vigor wrote:
Uh, why? Care to elaborate?

Getting rid of the annual pass eliminates the "cheap skates" who just go to Disneyland to babysit their kids and watch a parade, eat churros and change diapers in the middle of main street.

Disneyland operated just fine for years with tickets. And you can now sell them on e-bay. So define "ridiculous".

Unfortunately, getting rid of the annual pass also eliminates the people who just like to go to the park for a couple of hours just to shop and have lunch.

I go once a month and generally spend less than three hours. I like getting there right as the park opens on Sunday morning. Sometimes while I'm making the 65 mile drive to Anaheim, I'll pick a land, and that's how I'll spend my morning. I'll do all of the rides in Fantasyland and then hit the Bengal BBQ as soon as it opens and grab a table on Main Street and eat lunch while reading Harry Potter or whatever novel I have on me...unless those damn pin collector freaks have taken up all of the tables.

Without an annual pass, I would probably go once or twice a year. I hate the pressure of feeling like you've got to cram everything into one day. I love to simply stroll around and enjoy the park.

Let's just outlaw the uberstrollers and the fatmobiles. That would fix things, wouldn't it?

TM

That's generally what I do too. A couple hours right after work. I arrive before the 5:30 "surge" and then pick a land, one land, and that's all I do. I will examine every door, window, shrub, tree, etc..really get into the details.

Yeah. I agree with get rid of the fat carts and strollers. Make them illegal. That would solve 90% of the problems.

On 2008-01-04 10:21, lucas vigor wrote:
That's generally what I do too. A couple hours right after work. I arrive before the 5:30 "surge" and then pick a land, one land, and that's all I do. I will examine every door, window, shrub, tree, etc..really get into the details.

Are you familiar with the book Where In Disneyland Park? It came out in the early or mid-90's. Full of pics of all the little details and minutia from around the park. Swell book.

TS

They are removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion of the ride.

On 2008-03-12 14:27, Tom Slick wrote:
They are removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion of the ride.

I'm sorry to see it go, I especially liked the way they dressed up the section during the Holiday Season :( I do have to wonder & keep in mind, if Walt were here today if a small world would still exist? Walt was always thinking forward & "It's a Small World" is a attraction that uses a vast amount of useful land. I know the attraction was one of Walt's favorites in the day, (all is relative) and culturally, people from everywhere else love the attraction probably more than us. Never the less, change is often difficult & sad.

edited for spelling

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-12 18:51 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 8:12 PM

"removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion"

See? Disneyland SUCKS!

The whole point of "Small World" is to celebrate the OTHER countries of the world (even though Canada only gets a Mountie hidden under a doorway), while the rest of Disneyland (main Street, Frontierland, et all) celebrated the Good Old U.S. of A.

Putting in a "Go Team USA" section is a kick in the pants of the whole ride's concept. It also breaks up the 'travel round the world' flow of the ride, which takes us eastward around the globe, sort of.

What's next? Make the Mary Blair doll into a Chargers Quarterback?

GO USA!

Go Chargers!

Disneyland sucks?

I don't think Walt would have gone in the direction of adding a animatronic mickey here, an animatronic stitch there, just to "fluff up" a ride and call it "New and Improved. He was too smart for that. I truly believe if Walt were still here, he would have left Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Small World unscathed...I'm sure he was much too wise to add moviestars to the attractions...Afterall the attractions themselves are like Walts own moviestars. Drawing attention to Jack Sparrow within Pirates, Dilutes all the other magnificant details of that ride. Almost everytime, I'd spot something new in that attraction....minute decorations, to set design, to Walts signature forced perspective. Now when I've ridden the ride, Its true, there is always someone in the boat reminding you that, "Theres Johnny"!....."Look, Theres Sparrow again"...

The setup is almost as bad as the corny scripts on the Jungle Cruise ride....Its predictable, and the script is already spoiled to seasoned DL'ers who've ridden the boat a few times....

"Ever seen the backside of Water?"
"Trader Sam is in the Head Shrinking Business, and He's always trying to get ahead!"

I still admire the Jungle Cruise,though! :P

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-03-12 22:44 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 2:13 AM

My favorite Jungle joke is when you see the native villagers dancing, the guide says;
"They're doing the 'I can't find the bathroom' dance. That's why they're called Headhunters.
Mahalo,
Al

Is "Team USA" anything like "Team America", now thats got to be worth seeing if it is,
put alongside countries like Afganastan and Iraq. :wink:

I'm glad I took pics at the Small World of the tropical area last year~

I think this idea of changing It's A Small World yet again is absolutely horrific. Re-recording the music made sense from a technical standpoint, maybe (although I miss the music tracks as they originally were). I wasn't happy about the music change but I figured, "Well, they could do many worse things." And here we are. That's a lousy idea, it does go against the concept of the original ride, and it is likely to look cheesy and "inserted." Not to mention, that's one of the coolest areas of the ride to destroy! Sigh.

For a guy like me, growing up in the suburbs of suburbia, I had zero chance to experience exotic scenes and jungle foliage. What DL did was recreate, with a few simple strokes, the element and flavor of an exotic locale. They did it with cheap ingredients, but it worked. The fake rain is just colored strips of material, but when I was 7, they looked real enough and sparked something in my imagination, something that has lasted to this day: a love of all things exotic.

When the soundtrack on that ride turns tropical, I instantly get excited. The jungle drums, and then steel guitar on that track are awesome! You can hear the agogo bell going "tink tink tink, tink tink-a-tink" and it's very cool.

Ah, yes. I remember when I was a little kid going on that ride, and that moment when the boat goes around the bend and you are immersed in the rain forest...those little strips of wiggling cellophane. So simple but a wonderful illusion. A magical moment, if you will. It's a shame that anyone would want to redesign that section.

Here's the details on the changes:
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2008/03/world-of-tears.html
(Besides, what's one less rainforest? It's not like they're endangered or anything.) :roll:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 8:04 AM

Vintagegirl is SO cool she'd freeze espresso in August.

Here's a picture from her link of exactly what will be replacing the tropical section on Small World!!!!

It's a FARM and the Statue of Liberty! No cowboys, no gangsters, no fun anywhere. Even the stupid horse looks bored. And the colors & design are just terrible.

And apparently the whole idea of redoing Small World includes inserting Mickey and Friends into sections of the rides, making it into one big "window display" for more plush toys!

This has angered designers at Disney so much there's already a campaign on within the company to stop it before it's too late!

This is pretty horrible. I haven't scanned the entire thread, so, where do I write? Who do I write? I want to be vocal about this. I will send a letter ten feet tall if I have to.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 3:32 PM

Lets find out who's responsible, write to that person, and write to their boss as well. Then do it again.

What would really burn their executive butts is to have a big legal rally right at the main gate, with protest signs reading "Disneyland SUCKS" and "Bring Back It's a Small World" and "Walt is Crying up in the Big Amusement Park in the Sky".

They HATE protests. It gets in the news and they look like money grubbing third rate carny barkers, driving black BMWs of course.

TM

Yeah, that farm scene seems pretty "third rate carny". In fact, I think I saw the same display at Busch Gardens, texas.

Please tell me that was just a horrible joke! They are not really putting that in the ride, right????????

Please?????

God?????

C

I've been looking at that picture. It isn't all about the farm.

It's a horse's ass. That's the joke. It's a butt joke. The horse has a big butt. It's supposed to be funny. No kidding, that's what they want you to laugh at. The big horse ass.

Mary Blair is one of the greatest designers of all time. This ride was her dream come true, her and Rolly Crump worked on it late every day. It's perfect. She's a genius. They did an art book on her recently, with a forward by Roy Disney. It's an amazing book, inside you find she even designed a jazz opera by Duke Ellington.

It's getting violent there, too!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340229,00.html

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2008 7:39 AM

Y'know, Pixar's John Lasseter must know about these changes to Small World. He's the new Disneyland creative head, supposedly.

Is he good creative head, or a bad creative head?

Time to find out.

Are Pixar movies genuinely funny, original, and full of progressive animation, or cheap, crude and full of stolen ideas?

Hmmm...

I'm writing John Lasseter and Imagineering, both. Maybe some others.

I urge anyone writing to emphasize the POSITIVE in their letters: The reason so many people are concerned about this is that they LOVE the original concept of "It's A Small World" and LOVE its scenes as they were originally created. Emphasize what Disney did RIGHT the first time around, and, to my thinking, this will help the current staff to understand the importance of leaving this section of the ride as it is.

The original ride is a perfect, balanced vision of friendship and harmony. It's a joy to behold! It should continue to be this way.

[ Edited by: procinema29 2008-03-22 09:13 ]

I’ve just read through this entire thread. Really good reading, thanks to all of you. So much has changed at Disneyland since the last time I was there, which was some time in the 80’s.

During the 1960’s my father was an Aero Space Engineer for Lockheed here in Burbank. They had Lockheed Day at Disneyland where the park was open only for Lockheed employees and their families. We had never been to Disneyland before and were simply amazed by the wonderment of it all. What fun and magic it was for my two sisters and I. We went wild running from ride to ride and land to land. There was no waiting in line and no tickets to give so some rides we went on two or three times in a row. My favorite was Mr. Toads Wild Ride. My family stayed all day and into the evening until closing. Being my first experience of Disneyland and I had no idea that on regular days there were many more people. My later visits to the Magical Kingdom were fun, but could never top the joy we had on our first time to Disneyland, on Lockheed Day.

MrsHoptiki

H

I miss the early days, when the costumes were much more sinister.

CJ

I wasn't sure where to ask this since there's no threads that pertain to the topic but what ever happen to the awesome tiki show they used to have? I remember it was in the lake/pond on the grounds of the disney hotel which had a fire dancers, outriggers, and hula girls with big boobies. I watched this show several times since my church (Melodyland) was just across the street going up. I would love if someone could share something and let me get my childhood jollys covered.

Regards,

Joe me is drunk

On 2009-01-26 21:04, Coco Joe wrote:
I wasn't sure where to ask this since there's no threads that pertain to the topic but what ever happen to the awesome tiki show they used to have? I remember it was in the lake/pond on the grounds of the disney hotel which had a fire dancers, outriggers, and hula girls with big boobies. I watched this show several times since my church (Melodyland) was just across the street going up. I would love if someone could share something and let me get my childhood jollys covered.

Regards,

Joe me is drunk

I remember a Polynesian dinner show next to the Tiki Room with fire dancers and hula girls. It was "sponsored by Kikkoman" and had mediocre food but the best coffee. Sometime in the early '90's it became the Aladdin dinner show. I don't remember one occuring on the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel.

On 2009-01-26 21:04, Coco Joe wrote:
... what ever happen to the awesome tiki show they used to have? ...

Regards,

Joe me is drunk

The Tahitian Terrace show?

Yesterland: Adventureland

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2009-01-27 11:27 ]

CJ

It wasn't the Tahitian Terrace show.

There used to be a small lake in the middle of the Disneyland Hotels where at night they would start the show by rowing out a outrigger (or maybe just a canoe) then would have fire dancing and hula dancers.

I've been to the Disneyland Hotel Hundreds of times over the past 20 years and have never seen what you are talking about.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

On 2009-01-27 21:32, bigtikidude wrote:
I've been to the Disneyland Hotel Hundreds of times over the past 20 years and have never seen what you are talking about.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You'd think you'd be able to find something online about it which I can't. I feel like I'm crazy but I know what I saw...I'll start asking hotel staff next time I visit.

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 12:25 AM

On 2007-11-28 18:22, lucas vigor wrote:
Adventureland: They had the tahitian terrace restaraunt. What more needs to be said.

They used to sell shrunken heads and spears in front of the Jungle Cruise...

Coco Joe....The Disneyland Hotel does in fact have a few bodys of water. One was most recently used for the 50th anniversary and had a dancing water show. There is a cement stage to it as well, all outdoors. It is a medium/large sized area. Then there is the waterfalls/lightshow that you can pass under at the hotel by way of a path that twists through, and finally their main swimming pool area, next to the remote controlled boats.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see this show that you speak of, but when I was a kid in the 70s, there was a park not too far called Enchanted Village, with plenty of bamboo, another body of water that you could take a boat ride on, and a lagoon creature(some dude in a seaweed covered scuba suit would try to board the boat, and rock it back and forth, making you think you were all plunging into the depths of creature hell. That "monster" scared the shit! outta me, and I still remember to this day, I was about to jump out and make a swim for land, until my pops grabbed my arm. So then I made the next move to crawl under the open boat seats to hide under other people. Ahh, yes....and they had a luau type show at dusk with firewalkers,jugglers and fine wahines shakin' it all up...I got on stage with them when I was a kid and hula'ed with them. According to my folks, I had the whole place busting up in hysterics, including the band/dancers. By the sounds of it, I wonder if I inadvertantly, invented the booty shaking contest....? :lol:

Oh yea....Disneyland sucks for me now because they did not offer enough Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary special event ticket packages! Those bastards sold out in less than 2 hours, and the event isn't until September 9th! BOOO, DISNEY!

L

On 2009-01-30 10:08, Tom Slick wrote:
Oh yea....Disneyland sucks for me now because they did not offer enough Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary special event ticket packages! Those bastards sold out in less than 2 hours, and the event isn't until September 9th! BOOO, DISNEY!

Damn!

I really want the Haunted Portraits print by Shag.

I didnt even realize that the ticket packages went on sale yet. My bad.

I am going to have to bribe someone now to try to get me one or hope to hell he doesnt sell out.

L

Came across some vintage Disneyland postcards while out and about thrifting. Thought some of you might want to see them. Sorry I do not have a scanner so I hope the glare isn't bad for you.

KEEL BOAT IN FRONTIERLAND

POLYNESIAN RESTAURANT THE TAHITIAN TERRACE - ALL THE TABLES ARE EVEN COVERED IN TAPA (OR FAUX TAPA)

SKULL ROCK AT PIRATE'S COVE IN FANTASYLAND

SKYWAY

THE HAUNTED MANSION

There were lots more mostly of the Castle and the Submarine ride. Since I have never been to Disneyland not sure of how much it has changed since the photographs were taken but I can only assume it has at least a little bit.

Um, I've never seen that Haunted Mansion,
and I have been going to D land since 73.

is that possibly the Florida Haunted Mansion?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

L

The back of the postcard has the Disney Land logo and even states that is where it is located.

I have been to Disney World about 100 times (being from Florida) so I know that it looks like that.

So I guess the card is a misprint then--interesting esp since the card is older . I didnt even notice because I have never been to Disneyland.

Ok so nix the Haunted Mansion card from above! :)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-02-10 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-02-10 20:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 225 replies