Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where are we with the Tiki Gardens Memorial fund?

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Kahona was much cooler, don't like Lono much. It did seem that the carver decided which was going to be made.

On 2003-02-19 16:30, Trader Woody wrote:

tweedtone wrote:
my understanding is that was more or less decided upon by the carver, who rejected the notion of Kahono (I believe) as it was a bastardization in his view and not a "true" tiki.

Mmmm, I mentioned at the time that this was a ludicrous statement. Both Kahona & Lono are 'bastardizations' - you'd be very hard pressed to get any depiction of a Tiki that isn't.

Trader Woody

Very good point Woody, especially when you consider that the carver's personal style is a bastardization of tiki itself! Last time I checked, the Jimmy Carter style wasn't considered very traditional.

On 2003-02-19 17:17, Kailuageoff wrote:
You know, I also have to ask this question of some of you -- what the hell is the big deal of spending $20 on the vague chance something good might happen? I sure as hell spend more than that at my local watering hole and don't think a thing about it. I spend more than that on any given week on ebay. Sometimes I give a dollar to a bum even though he just might go buy a beer or a pack of cigarettes. Granted some of you may not have $20 to your name, but I kind of doubt that goes for most of you rum drinking, mug collecting, tiki carving crazies. Geez.

With all due respect KG, what, why and how we spend our money is nobody's business but our own.

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-19 18:43 ]

MC

Thanks Kailuageoff,
I in no way want to offend others, especially people who care and know much much more about tiki than I. When people have criticisms, observations, suggestions it's best for these complaints to be expressed directly, I believe. I'm sorry for making people feel defensive, but I'd rather share my opinion in hopes that something better could happen. I'll always volunteer! I'm a firm believer that if I'm gonna talk the talk, I better walk the walk.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow...
Manic C

On 2003-02-19 17:43, midnite_tiki wrote

Thanks to Holden and Mig for the option. It is appreciated, along with all the other work they do here.

midnite

Thanks for the kudo's Midnite... um, Hanford thanks you, too!!
Holden

Kahona is a very cool tiki indeed, but that tiki was part of the torchlighting area, and was hollow- i think there may have even been fires lit in his mouth, I don't know.

But as far as which tiki WAS TikiGardens, through and through, it is certainly Lono. Lono appeared everywhere as the "golden arches" of Tiki Gardens. Not using Lono would be like doing a Mcdonald's memorial and using Mayor McCheese instead of Ronald..

that being said, Lono was also likely to have been the first tiki constructed at TG (I suspect) and also a very "do-able" tiki in terms of construction- whereas Kahona is more involved and harder to accurately duplicate due to its size/hard lines and Hollow features..

I don't think it was the carver that chose Lono

Kailuageoff suggests we should donate $20 in the anticipation that 'something good might happen' with someone carving a tiki in a place I will mostly likely never want to go.

I contribute approximately $600 a year through payroll deductions to the United Way, where good things DO happen.

(but thanks for the very insightful suggestion)

With all due respect KG, what, why and how we spend our money is nobody's business but our own.

Hey PolyPop,
You're right, of course. I obvioulsy lost my mind (and Aloha spirit) for a minute.

By the way, if you see me panhandling on a street corner, I hope you will consider slipping me buck so I can get a bottle of Demarara.

And Bong, please don't throw anything at me from your car window.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 11:59 AM

On 2003-02-19 19:22, manic cat wrote:
Thanks Kailuageoff,
I in no way want to offend others, especially people who care and know much much more about tiki than I. When people have criticisms, observations, suggestions it's best for these complaints to be expressed directly, I believe. I'm sorry for making people feel defensive, but I'd rather share my opinion in hopes that something better could happen. I'll always volunteer! I'm a firm believer that if I'm gonna talk the talk, I better walk the walk.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow...
Manic C

I did not mean to imply that your previous quote made me feel defensive I was just trying to drive home the point that it would be very difficult to email everyone who pledged. I do appreciate your offer to email them. Hanford noticed this offer and stepped in to offer assistance as he would be able to obtain email addresses more easily than myself. So that is taken care of if we want to persue that. Manic Cat, I think you have contributed a lot just by posting a thoughtful reply on the subject and not getting inflamed and causing strife. Thanks again for your offer to help

[ Edited by: Otto on 2003-02-20 12:00 ]

On 2003-02-20 09:38, Kailuageoff wrote:
By the way, if you see me panhandling on a street corner, I hope you will consider slipping me buck so I can get a bottle of Demarara.

And Bong, please don't throw anything at me from your car window.

What if I threw you a $5 if you were panhandling?

MC

Otto, thanks. Good luck with all your hard behind-the-scenes work.
MKitty

On 2003-02-17 17:18, Alnshely wrote:

Ok, now I have some questions.
Tikigardner, did you sign us up to pay for this in it's entirety?

No. Before I started pitching the idea for a memorial, the idea was to see what the cost would be, the figure of $2,000.00 was arrived at after talking to Wayne Coombs, and seeing what it one could get for that. It translated out to about an 8' Kahaona.

This amount is based on one conversation with Mr Coombes, at the very inseption of the idea. And is in no way construed as a final agreed upon amount for the aforementioned 8' tiki.

I figured that this was a possibly attainable figure, and that even to try and fail was better than nothing at all.

Before the details could be hammered out, Cy entered into the picture with the tiki extending up to the 12' range, with a tiered base for tourists to stand on to have their photos taken with the tiki.

I never said TC would ever foot the 5,000.00 tab.

As to it being a business deal, thats what soured me on how it began to go, I started the idea as a way to thank The Original Trader Frank for the times I had at Tiki Gardens as a child. Not to sell $10,000 dollars worth of product on my desk. Which in no way implies that I have $10,000 dollars worth of product anywhere.

Now I'm back to calling my doctor on the fact that while having a camera snaked through my nasal cavity, he makes comment about tonsilechtomy scar tissue, while no one in my family recalls my having my tonsils out.

Maybe its them pesky aliens taking samples.
TG

Let us know.
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-02-17 17:28 ]

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-02-17 17:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 58 replies