Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show off your Rattan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

Yeah, we don't buy from there just go and check out the cool stuff and get ideas. I just picked up a real nice art deco style lounge suite today for $140 from an op shop, not realy tiki but looks real cool and to good to pass up.

I just scored a great old rattan bar from a local thrift store.

Have not seen one like this before with the rounded shelves on each end.

The back is nice with lots of room and two rattan drawers.

Going to use as sofa table for now until the Tiki Room gets up and running.

DC

H

Beautiful bar Dusty, you are a lucky one.

On 2012-09-13 19:32, hiltiki wrote:
Beautiful bar Dusty, you are a lucky one.

Thanks Hiltiki,

Lucky indeed. My Mom was visiting in town and sent me a text to go check out the "Tiki" stuff at her favorite thrift/recycle store.

DC

Great find, DC

Not my vintage rattan , however well worth the mention .Saw two different auctions yesterday on ebay with two very rare pieces of rattan for sale .The first is a 1940's twin bed with headboard.Note-the headboards are usually missing and disconnected from the bed frame .Very rare indeed !

Wow the second auction I found really blew me away.This is a set of 1940's Paul Frankl eight band arm club chairs with very unique arms...yes you heard me right... eight band ..not six band ! These chairs restored with cushions in the right economy would sell for $2000-$2500 each .The design on both chairs is intended to hold magazines so they built magazine holders on both chairs..ultra cool and very rare !

the V design built in magazine holders in the outside of the arms

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2015-09-10 11:36 ]

PD

Never expected to get a set of these in the UK...

Currently having new covers made for the cushions.

T

I picked up this 6 band pretzel arm set up on craigslist a few weeks back. The 6 seating pieces can be arranged however you like it. It also has 2 wedge end tables, one foot stool, & a vintage amoeba coffee table (not shown). Not true vintage. The seller said he bought it about 15 years ago from a store on 4th in Long Beach. Does anyone remember that store?

TT

On 2012-07-12 04:44, Tiki Trav wrote:
So back in 2007 I picked up this set of 2x 2 seaters & 2x single seaters for $200,
Regretably sold it a year later...

then shortly after I found this set "lovingly restored" with blue enamel, I passed these up..

now fast forward to July 2012 & I just bought this set on ebay for $300.. now just a quick 1200km (800mi?) drive each way to pick them up..

Now to October 2013, just picked this set up for $500,

Still have the last set but have only partially restored, anyone that has tried to work on this stuff knows the pain involved....
Oh, and found the peacock chair below on the side of the road on the way home from picking up the set above...

8T

Vintage 4 band rattan childs sized chair.

Easier to tell the size with a cat in the shot.

A thrift store find and only $10.
Now to get it recovered in a much better fabric.

On 2014-04-22 20:24, 8FT Tiki wrote:

THAT CAT IS HUGE!!

I've heard of that breed before.

DC

WOW 8ft!! A chair that size is always rare. add the rattan and you may BEVER see another one!

I love that small chair--great find!

H

On 2008-07-29 22:37, TikiPops wrote:
Found these at a Goodwill store today. They were $9.99 each. There are no cushions & a few scratches & the banding is coming off one leg on one chair. Anyone know how to, or where to have these refinished. Also any info on the style or the age. There are no tags or labels anywhere on them.

These are fabulous, They were made by hand , very beautifully primitive due to drilling a hole for the ends of the wrappings.

T

Harvey's
Thanks for the info. Do you know what year they from? Do you do restorations?

8T

Picked up a very cool chair today. Made by Ritts. It is not Tropitan but Wroughtan. It is a sort of "mixed media" chair because it has a wrought iron metal base/frame. There is a large circular rattan band which works as the armrests. Some call this a saucer chair. It is all original with no restoration. It swivels and the cushion seat and back are attached to each other by a fabric hinge. It is a thin cushion but is surprisingly comfortable. My cat decided it would look better with him in it as a model. Well I guess Halloween isn't that far off.

That is a very cool chair.

Found on Craigslist and got them for $15. A little cleaning, sanding, re-spray on the rattan and recover the cushions with barkcloth, and they will be good as new.

H

Javadrinker, I have a similar piece that my husband found in the alley behind the house and brought it back to life.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2015-09-08 13:41 ]

On 2015-09-08 13:39, hiltiki wrote:
Javadrinker, I have a similar piece that my husband found in the alley behind the house and brought it back to life.

Looks great! I love the print you chose for the cushions. Looking for more pieces here...lol.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2015-09-08 13:41 ]

H

Merry Christmas Hilda. All the objects in your pic are great on their own. Assembled together as they are-dat’s one awesome pic!
mahalo
Btw, could you post a pic of the table thats under the tree ounce you take the tree down please? Now I’ll really push it. Do you have the box that the tree was originally sold in?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-26 13:42 ]

H

Here you go David.

S

Found a pair of these chairs for an absolute steal a few weeks back and just recently had the cushions re-upholstered. Old on the left and the new fabric on the right. Would have cost me a fortune to use the same fabric on both sides of the cushions so i just went with a matching green for the undersides. There was enough left over however for three extra small cushions. Purchased from Spoonflower, the artist is Woody Miller.

Nice choice of fabric Robbie.
Luv that table Hilda.
Cheers

Last month, on Facebook, I posted some pictures of a five band sofa without cushions and table that I picked up in Northern California. I had the cushions done in a poplar fabric I selected from the garment district in downtown Los Angeles. One side has a red background and the flip side has the same pattern but a black background. I had planned to sell the coffee table but now I think I will keep it.

Showing off MY rattan here...

This is a salesman's sample set of Paul Frankl rattan furniture. Not as impressive as the human-sized stuff, perhaps, but my living space and budget aren't all that big.

As you can see, I had to build a display for this stuff (and make tiny cushions).

M

You did great work. It almost looks life size.

T

Actually...those salesman samples are pretty rare and always seem to go for a ton of money... This is awesome...love the miniature lamps as well!!

MaukaHale - Thank you! This was a real challenge to do, since I usually work in a much smaller scale.

tikilease - This is only the second Paul Frankl sample set I have ever seen, anywhere. The other was for sale in a pricey Venice Beach shop with the ominous "call for price" label (dealer-speak for "you can't afford this, peasant" - and it wasn't as nice as this one). Glad you like the lamps; they were a LOT of work, but I think it was time well spent.

Hey Swizzle, I've been debating using Spoonflower fabric for re-upholstering the cushions in my tiki room. How would you say the print has held up for you? Are you happy with the quality? Which fabric did you use (as they have a few upholstery choices)? They certainly have lots of great tiki patterns to choose from.

8T

Picked this set up a couple of days ago to replace a similar but less impressive set. It's made by Calif-Asia.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies