Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show off your Rattan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

T

Wow, you did a fantastic job on refinishing those, that had to be a big job! The cushions look fantastic as well. Nice work!

C

found this one at a thrift store a few weeks back. still needs to be cleaned-up & polished a bit, but the cushion is intact & in good shape:

I have had this for about six years or so.I have not come across another one like
it in the twelve years I have been collecting and selling .1950's blonde rattan
three band- three quarter pretzel with three position notch back chase lounge chair.
I guess you could call it a 333 chase lounge.The floral bark cloth on the centipede
cushion would not have been my number one choice, but it looked recently redone and
was in perfect condition so I left it alone.BTW its currently on the market.

The coffee table is a round Frankl style with real mahogany top w/the rattan banding
detail around the edge of the table top.Most square and round Frankl style coffee table
that I have seen or owned or sold -you would not find the rattan detail on the edge.

Super rare round Paul Frankl style coffee table w/ mahogany top and rattan
banding detail on the tables top outer edge

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-23 16:16 ]

TD

my rattan booth at the vintage dept store

I

I saw Bamboo Ben's post about the difference between rattan and bamboo. Wikipedia bore him out. On the other hand, I also have a book (it's author could be wrong, I'm sure) about working with rattan, which shows thick rattan.

So who knows what I have here. But I do know it's not hollow. The canes are solid.

Found this yesterday in a moment of TIKI CONVERGENCE when hubby and I walked into our favorite resale shop here in Athens and there was Basement Kahuna restocking his inventory. Our first meeting.

The gregarious and fantastic proprietor of the shop, a woman, guided us over to a photocopied sign of the "rattan" set, which I had been pointing out to hubby for many months, and him always rejecting it. But this time he looked (she is really cute! HAH!). As we were standing there, the owner of the set called to say he was bringing it over to finally display in the shop.

We wound up getting it. Basement Kahuna advised us to keep the upholstery. Hubby loves it too. (sob...I do so want some floral barkcloth).

We paid $225.

This is a 5 pc set, the sofa can be separated to be chairs.

M

I agree! Floral barkcloth would definitely make it pop!! Besides, I'm not fond of sitting & lounging on some unknown person's upholstery!! Make it yours!

I

Thanks for the vote for floral, Mimi!

This is 1960's rattan.Since men are not big on flowers and women are you can
compromise and go with a nice geometric or a banana leaf looks nice.Always nice
to find original vintage bark cloth if possible.Here are several examples of
original bark cloth patterns .Looks best when you do solid side panels and
then the welting is a color pulled out of the print.Note ; none of these are
flower patterns.PM if you have questions or need help.
Aloha,
Trader Bill

Here are some pix of the LowBrow Lanai..our covered patio area in the backyard. All of it is thrift store finds. We lucked out and found the entire Frankl pretzel arm set, table and chairs, and the bar for super cheap. Got the Heywood Wakefield Ashcraft barstools off of Craigslist, they didn't know what he had. I only wish we could use it more than 4 months out of the year!

M

I totally agree with the leafy look, but definitely something nice and tropical that everyone could live with. There are some beautiful colors and patterns that aren't too feminine, yet look tropical and breezy!! I saw some recently at Joann
Fabrics that were soooo beautiful. Good luck!!

T

Sputnikmoss, that's a beautiful patio area! Where did you get the little triangular tables next to the butterfly chairs? I'd love to have those to go next to our butterflies as well. Also out of curiosity, what do you do with everything when the winter weather hits? Do you move it inside, or cover it, or leave it to brave the elements? :)

On 2008-07-22 15:02, TikiTres wrote:
Sputnikmoss, that's a beautiful patio area! Where did you get the little triangular tables next to the butterfly chairs? I'd love to have those to go next to our butterflies as well. Also out of curiosity, what do you do with everything when the winter weather hits? Do you move it inside, or cover it, or leave it to brave the elements? :)

Thanks! We found the triangle tables at a garage sale. They fold up and lie flat and have a hook for hanging on the wall. I saw some more on Ebay a while ago. They are pink, green, blue, and yellow formica on a thin veneer. When the rain hits we take all the pads off and put them in the shed. They are naugahyde so nothing really hurts them. We stack the rattan frames close to the house and they don't get wet. We take down all the pictures and store them too. So far we have had really good luck..I just hate having to put it all away in September.

T

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find some of those tables! Yeah, that sounds like a drag to put everything away, but hey it gives you something to look forward to in the spring :)

Congrads on the great scores Sputnik.You have made your out door living-like indoors .
Very Very coooooool.

Found these at a Goodwill store today. They were $9.99 each. There are no cushions & a few scratches & the banding is coming off one leg on one chair. Anyone know how to, or where to have these refinished. Also any info on the style or the age. There are no tags or labels anywhere on them.

You might want to try Frank's Cane and Rush. I'm not sure of the town, but it's inland from Huntington Beach. ( I think) ? I've gotten some rattan repair items once about 10 yrs ago. They also have an webpage. Hope this helps.

[ Edited by: lennieguys 2008-07-30 07:53 ]

I finally found a couple of rattan chairs for my office. Now I gotta find some cushions... or at least some fabric.

Just got this set of 3 chairs and 2 tables from an auction...however, the photo only shows 2 of the chairs 'cause I'm too lazy to set up a photo of the whole set...

...Anyway, you get the idea. But check out that fabric!

I have alot of rattan, anybody interested in trading for something interesting? OLd diving helmet or...?

On 2008-07-18 08:47, irishf wrote:
I saw Bamboo Ben's post about the difference between rattan and bamboo. Wikipedia bore him out. On the other hand, I also have a book (it's author could be wrong, I'm sure) about working with rattan, which shows thick rattan.

So who knows what I have here. But I do know it's not hollow. The canes are solid.

Found this yesterday in a moment of TIKI CONVERGENCE when hubby and I walked into our favorite resale shop here in Athens and there was Basement Kahuna restocking his inventory. Our first meeting.

The gregarious and fantastic proprietor of the shop, a woman, guided us over to a photocopied sign of the "rattan" set, which I had been pointing out to hubby for many months, and him always rejecting it. But this time he looked (she is really cute! HAH!). As we were standing there, the owner of the set called to say he was bringing it over to finally display in the shop.

We wound up getting it. Basement Kahuna advised us to keep the upholstery. Hubby loves it too. (sob...I do so want some floral barkcloth).

We paid $225.

This is a 5 pc set, the sofa can be separated to be chairs.

IrishFWhat you have there is pseudo rattan manufacured during WWII when Japanese cut off the rattan supply to the West.

It is most likely Ashcraft brand and made of ASH or possibly hickory. This is why there are hardly any curved pieces. To get the curved pieces they would steam the wood until it was pliable.

Nice set!

S
T

" Weldwood " Rattan???

Anyone know any info of this co./ stuff ?

We bought this Frankl set a few years ago at an antique mall. We were working on putting together the room, went to OA to get matting, etc, the weekend before (drove from Sacramento) and found this set as we walked into the mall that was next door to OSH where we just went to get bamboo to trim out our wall and ceiling work.

we were quite surprised and both knew we had to buy it, although it was way out of our budget... sometimes you just have to do it!

We love it!!! We spend many evenings listening to tiki music with some fine cocktails, or read the paper on weekend mornings with our coffee, the only thing that could make it better is if we actually lived in Hawaii.

The set is vintage, however, it was all re-covered and not all of the peices match, some are 4 strand and others are 6. It's really sturdy too.

What a great set! I'm jealous. All I have is a bunch of mismatched stuff. Great find!

Tiki mookie -the prior owners of your rattan set had good taste and had
the cushions covered in Chris Stone bark cloth in a banana leaf pattern
design which is discontinued and no longer available .Here is a set I am
about to redo the bark cloth with the exact original material I recently
found .I have always liked the vintage bark cloth designs, they just seem
to pop and give the furniture that nostalgic look.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-01-21 13:02 ]

P
Pyro posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Bar & sofa inherited from my grandparents. They originally bought the set (used to have end tables and coffee table that have since fallen apart) in Cuba in the pre-Castro days when my grandfather was a commander at the naval base. After being passed around to many family members, the bar and sofa made its way to me. My husband and I have been adding to the collection. And the bar is what started us on collecting tiki mugs in the first place.

Great story Pyro. My mom used to live in Miami and said that Cuba was one of the most beautiful places she'd ever visited.
What is the top of the bar made of? The patina on all of the pieces looks fantastic.
Aloha,
:tiki:

P
Pyro posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 6:21 PM

Actually, I have no idea what type of wood the top of the bar is made of. I'm hoping to get it refinished at some point, so hopefully I can find out.

TikiPops - I have no idea where your chairs come from either but I really like them. They're going to look fantastic when you get the seat cushions.

Here's my submission. Where I would have liked to shop for Rattan:

That bar a page back looks familar:
before:

after:

P
Pyro posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 10:04 PM

wow, never seen anyone with my bar before. That looks great!

Here is a set I picked up yesterday off craigslist. The guy I bought it from purchased it in the Philippians back in 1950; the set overall is in excellent shape!

This bar was purchased off of ebay

This is a 3 band pretzel frankl set i purchased off craigslist

Just a few pics more to come as i refinish and reupholster.

T

tiki David tiki

NICE set think I saw this also on Craig's List.
Assume you paid some serious $$ for the rattan
furniture grouping?

Was the bar a local Ebay pickup or did you have it
delivered. Majority of those items when they are
listed are always local pickup?

Mahalo,

Thortiki

Hey Thortiki,

I actually got that set for a steal! The asking price was $3,000.00 and considering the shape and band count it was well deserved. I watched the set on craigslist for about a month before offering the seller $1,000.00 after several rounds of negotiation I ended up purchasing it for $1,100.00 :wink:

As for the bar, I bought it from a seller in San Diego CA. The buy it now price was $400.00 which included the shipping cost. When I picked it up from the arrival destination the shipping receipt totaled $250.00 dollars which meant I bought it for $150.00 and paid %250.00 for shipping. The secrete when buying non-locally is to find products that include shipping.

This frankl 6 band couch is located in Silver Spring on ebay, you should check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Century-Modern-Paul-Frankl-Rattan-Sofa_W0QQitemZ350101219008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiques_Furniture?hash=item350101219008&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

This couch has been listed several times on ebay, which means they have not had any luck selling it, you should try and contact them locally and negotiate the price :wink:

David

[ Edited by: tikidavidtiki 2009-01-24 20:51 ]

T

tiki David tiki RATTAN

David, you really SCORED on that set,
you furnished your Tiki room @ $1,500.00
WOW!

Some pics of early 1940's chairs, loveseat
& ottoman's we got on Balt. Craig's List
last month!

Thortiki

WOW! Nice stuff, guys. You're making me very jealous. It seems like everytime I find a complete set, some design genius has painted it a nice pastel color & ruined it, like the awful 80's makeovers the polynesian restaurants got around here. I'll keep looking & when I do find my set, I'll be posting it right away.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2009-01-25 07:52 ]

Hey Thortiki and Big Kahuna

Thanks for the love.

Thortiki - I love the pink cushions, they rock!!!!!

Big Kahuna - A good trick I have used in the past looking is to search craigslist globally. You can go to google for example and type in frankl rattan and craigslist and should get some good results. If you find a good deal shipping it will be no issue.

David

My new couch and coffee table for the basement... I bought the couch new on closeout for $500, the coffee table for $12 at a thrift store...

L

SO I just completely scored on Craigslist!!!!

I just bought this 3 band pretzel chair for $15.00!!!!!!!!

I can not believe it.

The chair is in brand new condition---just need to wash it down---but it is sturdy and there is not a chip or crack or anything wrong with it.

The cushions need to be replaced...but I have some atomic printed barkcloth for that and will start looking around for someone to assist me since I know nada about sewing.

But regardless $15.00!! I am so beyond stoked.

Nice score! OK, that does it! I've got to start surfing Craig's list! Just what I need, a new way to accumulate stuff!

Liz, that chair rocks! I'm mean it's a really nice chair. Does it actually rock?

L

Thanks BK and BB. Nah it doesn't rock :wink:

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 9:20 AM

I've got this set that I got as an xmas surprise this year - needs some re-habbing, for sure.

In fact, the cushions on the chair have turned into SOLID material - some sort of petrified foam at this point.
Most of it is still my grandmother's basement for now.

There's also a 2-tiered corner table that goes with the amoeba table that I don't have a picture of.
The tables & Chair say "?Ritts co "Tropitan". I haven't found a brand on the couch, yet, but haven't had a chance to look real hard, either.

T

We picked up this 5 piece set a few years back at a yard sale for $100. The couch is 3 separate pieces. It has been sitting in one of our sheds ever since then. It had two layers of covers, both were in floral prints with blues & pinks. I should have taken a picture of it before hand, but I couldn't take the look of the print. Even the table has flowers on it. While we were in PA recently we went to a few shops and picked up this great vintage fabric. So the covering of the cushions has now been completed and I'm very happy with the results. So off to the cabana it went. :D

:oops: the 5th piece is the plant stand.

[Over the hill and scraping my way up the other side, but I'll be damned if I'm going down with out a fight!]
MYSPACE

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2009-03-08 18:40 ]

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2009-03-08 18:44 ]

L

$100 is a great bargain. Good score!

I really like the fabric... you've got a good eye!

I second the fabric, nice stuff. Looks like a fun room to hang in. And I think that's the point!

george

On 2009-03-21 18:58, Kamaina Kraig wrote:
Just scored this great 5 shelf wicker shelf at a shop today. It is in great shape and I love the tight weave of the wicker on the side. The color of it is excellent. Hope everyone else is finding what they like also.

Here are a couple pics of it.

Have a Tikimongous day!!

Craig

Kraig, you've got the start of a terrific tiki bar!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies