Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Donga Punch from Sippin' Safari

Pages: 1 6 replies

Just made Donga Punch tonight. Anyone else pour it right down the sink? I used something called Cinnamon Dolce from Starbucks. It reacted with the grapefruit juice to taste like Alien pee. Maybe it was lacquer thinner. Was this the right stuff? I think I hurt my drinker on that last one. Oh for the sweet taste of an Old Milwaukee to wash this taste away....

Ouch, that sounds painful! You need some of Professor Lyman Lemon's fresh cinnamon syrup from the Royal Consqueezatory. At the Royal Consqueezatory, it's all about the taste!

Wrong cinnamon.

see here

and

here.

Go to the mexican section of your supermarket and grab some "canela" -- it's real cinnamon. put 2 sticks (broken apart with your hands -- easy with real cinnmaon) with 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Stir and heat on med-high just till it starts to boil. Immediately remove the pan to an 'off' burner and turn off the heat. Let it cool, then strain the syrup. Your Donga punch will be saved.

-=C

Thank goodness! and thank you.

Melintur is absolutely correct!
I make my "Don's Mix" using Badia Canela en Rama (Cinnamon Sticks). I usually make a fairly generous amount of the cinnamon-infused syrup which I keep in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. I mix up quantities of Don's Mix as needed for immediate consumption because I use fresh grapefruit. The balance of the finished product works perfectly. The left-over cinnamon-infused syrup can be used for many other things.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2007-12-28 05:13 ]

It's really amazing what ceylon cinnamon and grapefruit do together. Tasting blind, I'd never guess that Donn's #2 was a simple 2 ingredients.

-=C

A

See link to post below. No cinnamon in the later version:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=54053

Pages: 1 6 replies