Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Seagoat's pieces *update 10/31/16- p.5

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2012 2:42 PM

wow that's really a great piece, the bend certainly adds much character. great job!

Ya gota love that sidewalk wood.
Awesome Moai.
I've yet to try one,
Maybe now is a good time.
Great step by step pics.

Jon

S

Thanks guys. Yeah, I like the curve of the wood.

Moving on to something bigger and have started working on a chunk of palm to see what that is like. Any tips or suggestions for treating/finishing palm for leaving it outdoors?

Nice! love the wood flow.

Nice! Like the birdman detail as well...

P

I like it!

Looks like he should be riding a really fast motorcycle...

As said before, nice use of the curve.

S

Another moai finished. My first carving with palm and it is just under 3 feet tall. Certainly different than carving the eucalyptus branches from before. I have three other pieces of palm left. May attempt a different style with the next one.

Kool

S

Hey Gang,

Here is a tiki-ish update since my last post. A while back I decided to make some custom frames for some Doug Horne prints I bought. I based the pattern on designs found in the artwork.

Some time after that I made a 'hops' tap handle for home. Yes, this is non-tiki but throwing it in here anyway.

Most recently I finished this relief type carving of a swordfish and sea scene. I'll call this one tiki-ish since the Beachcomber still has the old swordfish out front. :wink:

Maybe a real tiki again next...

P

I like it!

what kinda wood?

That swordfish is the bomb.
Not so EZ.
I did a shark like that around pg 37.
Nice job.

A
amate posted on Mon, Nov 11, 2013 4:09 PM

Exceptional work on the billfish piece!!!

S

Thanks everyone. PJC, not sure what kind of wood it is, found it laying in the bushes while out on a walk and grabbed it. Will, I'll check yours out too.

P

well hell, that makes it even cooler... 8)

C

Great work! I love the frames too

S

New 'root head' tiki.

S

Hi all,

Here is the latest work. A swordfish bill with New Zealand Maori style patterns.

S

The newest swordfish bill. Made for Mr. Crazy Al based on some of his designs and artwork.

A
amate posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2014 7:38 AM

Those swordfish bills are super cool and great carves! VERY NICE!!!

S

Thank you Amate, appreciate it.

C
cy posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 8:00 AM

Great. intricate detail on the swords seagoat!

S

Thanks Cy.

Looks like I haven't updated in a while. Worked on a few things here and there, trying different things. A friend dropped off some short palm chunks and asked if I could make him some tikis. They are the biggest things I've tried working on so far. Roughed them out with a chainsaw which I hadn't used before and then back to using chisels. I think they turned out ok but not great.

Found this banksia pod and thought I'd try a moai out of it. May try some more with this stuff.

Made some beard and moustache trophies for a local competition and then tried another moai with a little Bosko style out of the leftover wood.

Not tiki, but tried a Celtic pattern pepper grinder as a gift.

K

Damn! Your swordfish bills are awesome!

Banksia nuts? Now that's think'n outside the box.
Have tossed many of those on campfires, and folks do make artsy stuff
out of them here, but your treatment of one(?) is outstanding. Love it!

S

Thanks komohana! Since you are in AUS, maybe I should hit you up for some more banksia. :wink:

S

New update, bottle opener tiki...

S

Torch holder. This part of the palm log was a lot stringier than the other chunks I worked on. Kind of strange to work with but turned out alright.

Kool
Like em

Pages: 1 2 74 replies