Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Critiki Update?

Pages: 1 46 replies

Does anyone know if there are any plans to update Critiki? It doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

Ya know, I've been asking for months where Humuhumu has been. She has not posted since last summer on TC and her other haunts are quiet...there was some talk about that "she's fine but undercover for a while" Well what the heck does that mean? Did she give up on us? Were relationships strained? Or was she shanghaied and on a junk in the China sea? When someone is a celebrity and hangs with another celebrity then it ends, the fans want to know what happened. Not that I'm saying that it's any of our business or anything...I just want to know where she is and if she is coming back or what. We should know that anyway, ya think? We don't need any gory details, Hey! If anyone else just stopped we would be clamoring about where they were, So?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2008 8:09 PM

I've also noticed the Ooga Mooga link that used to be in that little profile box (just to the left of this post) has disappeared into the aether sometime in the last few days. Is OM no longer affiliated to TC in any way?

Yeah, Ooga is not on the features page and Critiki is absent from the links. Hmmmm...

I don't know anything about all that. But people do have burnout occasionally.
But Hey Joe Banks, did you know that a Joseph Banks was a world class botanist on a few voyages with Capt. Cook back in the day? He also took a ride with Capt. Bligh of "Mutiny on the Bounty". REAL.

JB

Yes, actually...I did know that. My "Joe Banks" TC name is really after Joe Banks in "Joe vs. the Volcano"...(but I read recently that his character name was named after the historical Joe Banks of Capt. Cook fame).

"Take me to the volcano (bowl)!"

The Ooga-mooga mug count is broken; it was showing "0" for everyone's mugs, regardless of their mug count. So I took that offline till I have a chance to fix it, but there are bigger fish to fry on the Tiki Central servers. Regarding Critiki not being updated ... well, you'd have to ask Humu, but I can tell you that Critiki, and to a lesser degree Ooga-mooga, aren't businesses for her, they're hobbies, and she works on them when she has free time. And she doesn't have the free time she used to. Maintaining a database the size of Critiki is not as easy as it may seem.

~Hanford

Yes, I have noticed this too. I had sent pics for a couple of places I had been recently and they aren't being posted. One for a place that had no pic gallery yet so it would have been cool for folks to see the inside & all. I guess time will tell! hugs~ tink

JB

Thanks Hanford...I appreciate the response. A site that elaborate and the time it must require to maintain it is totally understandable. I'll be patient.

Critiki has been updated! I am so thankful that they are back as I love the site! have a great tiki-filled day~ hugs~ tink xo

Anyone know about the status of Critiki.com these days? The site/database hasn't been updated since May 2009.

I've emailed Humuhumu through the Critiki site to offer assistance/support (since I, too, am a web developer); but haven't heard back.

On 2010-02-17 10:07, Capt. R.H. Falernum wrote:
Anyone know about the status of Critiki.com these days?

[raises hand] Ooh! Ooh! I do!

It's still good ol' Critiki, and yep it's due for an update. Per usual, other life-y type things are also demanding my attention: the current biggies are the Smuggler's Cover website, dealing with new house ownership (new to me, it's an old house, hence the "dealing"), and getting married in just a few months. Over. Whelmed.

However, a nice vacation to Hawaii has me refreshed and retiki'ed. Your offer of assistance is very kind and much appreciated, but right now I need a wedding coordinator and a handyman--the programming I have covered. :)

Oh. Ms. Humuhumu - I completely understand.

I, too, just moved into a very-old-but-new-to-me house and know how it is to "deal" with the many charms of an aged house. I wish you the very best with that!

Thanks for all the great work on Critiki.com; I look forward to the update whenever it happens. It's definitely more important to focus on the house, wedding & your beautiful new Smuggler's Cove site.

Cheers!

Humuhumu,

Congrats on all of the other life stuff. Let me know when your ready for another couple hundred images and some new historical Tiki sites.

DC

If the commute wasn't so rough, I'd be your handyman.
Congrats on the Humuhumu 1.2 upgrade.

Hey Humu,

I came across some old photos of that time we met up at Kon Tiki years ago and thought to myself, "What the hell happened to Humu"? Glad to hear you're still alive an kicking!

Humu,

Do we need to be thinking of where to send house warming and wedding gifts?

Congrats on getting hitched and buying a house!

I did the same thing recently and it has taken me about 2 years to come up for air again, man was I busy, especially because we did our own wedding top to bottom.

This year we will be reaping the bounty of the new garden at the new (built in 1924) house which we got started late last year but still kicked in hard.

Fresh limes, lemons and mint was always a good thing for the drink recipes and we anticipate more of the same.

By the way, you can count on at least one drink for you and your groom on me at any Tiki establishment in the greater SF Bay Area.

Give me a heads up and I'll hitch up the Tiki-Lander and voyage out from Point Reyes or Petaluma to the watering hole of choice, Tonga Room good for you?

Cheers!

Coruscate

Ke nono au, e kala mua mai, i keia manawa ho'i.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2010-02-25 12:32 ]

T

Critiki is a bit dead in the water again, I'm afraid. It won't allow new users to register (SQL error).

S

Is there anything that we can do to help Critiki resume its amazing service? I'm new to this tiki thing, but I've found critiki an invaluable tool in exploring my area (Massachusetts.) There have been, unfortunately, some closures out here, as well as some tiki bars that are not in critiki yet. I would love to help update this, but I cannot even create a membership.

TT

Humuhumu's contribution to the world of tiki in my opinion is up there with people like Sven. When I really started getting into Tiki, it was without a doubt one of the two(Tiki Central being the other) most important sites I referenced. I will always be thankful to her for that. It really opened my eyes to what tiki was/is. On top of that from a functionality/design stand point its a great site.

My hope is that Humuhumu will come back to it. There aren't many people that can do what she did as well as she does. However I do honestly believe the world of Tiki is missing out not having an up to date Critiki or equivalent. I believe an updated resource is important for people just beginning the journey. I also feel that a site that appears to be the go to resources for existing tiki does not reflect closings over the last couple of years and more importantly all the great establishments that have opened in that time. It would be nice to know if Critiki is truly dead or not and if there is a need for someone else to take the torch and provide a needed important resource for the world of Tiki.

T

My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went. Her tiki related projects and postings stopped around that time, as is evident on her various blogs and websites. I know a few people have reached out to her at various time without any response. But a few of her personal friends are here on TC and can probably shed some light on the situation.

Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement—I'd like to see her pass the reigns on to someone else who is willing and able to keep them updated and relevant, whomever that might be.

S

Or if she wants to remain in control of these sites, but add some fellow administrators so all the burden does not fall on one person... that would be awesome.

BK

I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life, but I had to go online to find out where Byfield was! I know Humu is busy raising a beautiful, little girl, named Wanda, but she is also, very much, still into Tiki. She's actually been doing some great work on her home bar. As for Critiki, it surely has taken a backseat to Wanda & understandably, so. If you're looking to help, try contacting her. I think her contributions to the World Of Tiki have been immense & I think she's just taking a break to spend quality time with her daughter.

TT

On 2014-03-02 16:31, TikiTacky wrote:
My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went. Her tiki related projects and postings stopped around that time, as is evident on her various blogs and websites. I know a few people have reached out to her at various time without any response. But a few of her personal friends are here on TC and can probably shed some light on the situation.

Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement—I'd like to see her pass the reigns on to someone else who is willing and able to keep them updated and relevant, whomever that might be.

She still seems to be very much into tiki, but as you said she is a recent parent and children and family should always come first. In the end there are only so many hours in a day.

S

And just to be clear: I am not complaining. I think her sites are absolutely amazing and have definitely contributed into my taking a passing interest, and then falling down the rabbit hole of awesomeness. I just would love to see these continue in whatever form she is comfortable with.

T

Likewise, I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again—and the fact that people are still visiting those websites, even though they're not being actively developed, is a statement to their usefulness. But outwardly, there's not much sign she's still into tiki:

• Her personal tiki news blog (linked from her website at humuhumu.com) is gone: http://humukontiki.com
  • Critiki.com hasn't worked for over a year as far as I can tell
  • Ooga-Mooga was due for an update (her words) in April, 2012
  • The last time the word tiki appeared on her personal blog at trottomatic.com was in July of 2013
  • Her last post here on TC was in April of 2012

This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way. It's merely an observation that her commitment to her tiki projects has seemingly ended, and it might be time for someone else to take up where she left off.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-02 17:20 ]

BK

Sigh!
If you want to help, I think that's great, but there are ways to contact the woman, without "calling her out" on TC. Plenty of her friends are still on here. Ask one of them if they can contact her for you or just continue with your Tikipedia, which is a great idea. Humu is a much beloved member of the Tiki community & you are sure to ruffle feathers if you are not respectful & tactful. Oh, and, by the way, your detective skills need work. She was at Trader Vic's last night & Smuggler's Cove on Tuesday. She is still very much "into" Tiki.

P.S.: I love your T-shirts!

S

I honestly cannot believe I just read this:

On 2014-03-02 17:19, TikiTacky wrote:
Likewise, I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again—and the fact that people are still visiting those websites, even though they're not being actively developed, is a statement to their usefulness. But outwardly, there's not much sign she's still into tiki:

• Her personal tiki news blog (linked from her website at humuhumu.com) is gone: http://humukontiki.com
  • Critiki.com hasn't worked for over a year as far as I can tell
  • Ooga-Mooga was due for an update (her words) in April, 2012
  • The last time the word tiki appeared on her personal blog at trottomatic.com was in July of 2013
  • Her last post here on TC was in April of 2012

This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way. It's merely an observation that her commitment to her tiki projects has seemingly ended, and it might be time for someone else to take up where she left off.

Talk about one hell of a "tacky" post!

Rick thank you for writing this ....nice to see some class!

On 2014-03-02 17:57, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sigh!
If you want to help, I think that's great, but there are ways to contact the woman, without "calling her out" on TC. Plenty of her friends are still on here. Ask one of them if they can contact her for you or just continue with your Tikipedia, which is a great idea. Humu is a much beloved member of the Tiki community & you are sure to ruffle feathers if you are not respectful & tactful. Oh, and, by the way, your detective skills need work. She was at Trader Vic's last night & Smuggler's Cove on Tuesday. She is still very much "into" Tiki.

Come back and visit but this time up in NorCal--you have to see Trader Vic's in Emeryville my friend!

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2014-03-02 18:25 ]

T

On 2014-03-02 17:57, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sigh!

P.S.: I love your T-shirts!

Sigh is right!

I'm not "calling her out." Did you read my posts?
"I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again"
"This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way"
"My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went."
"Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement"

How am I calling her out? Her websites are fantastic, and all I lament is that they're falling apart while the tiki community is still actively trying to use them. I would imagine if the same was true of a physical tiki location, people would do the same.

I know her friends are on here. I said so, and also said they could comment on what her plans might be for the sites, but was repeating what others have said.

I'm frustrated because—despite all of my comments to the contrary—you think I have some vendetta against Humuhumu. I have nothing but respect for her and the work she's done. Is it not fair for me to try and respectfully lament that I think it's sad that all of her hard work is falling into disrepair because she's focused on her family (which, in case I didn't make it clear, IS INFINITELY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THIS SILLY TIKI THING WE ALL ENJOY)?

Do I need to use more emoticons? Do people think I'm being sarcastic?

PS: Thanks.

Edit: And I did try and contact her. Other people have commented that they tried as well and she never responded.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-02 18:30 ]

L

On 2014-03-02 16:38, scottxwl wrote:
Or if she wants to remain in control of these sites, but add some fellow administrators so all the burden does not fall on one person... that would be awesome.

That is exactly what has happened on ooga-mooga, with Trader Tom taking on adding new mugs, and keeping the site current (BTW HUGE mahalo again for him taking that on!!!).
Tiki establishments do not change nearly as fast, so the stagnation on Critiki has not been as obvious. It is a wonderful resource, hopefully Humu or another will get in there soon, so that it stays relevant for all of us, and attracts new people into the love and lifestyle of Tiki.

T

Trader Tom definitely deserves more kudos for this. With the number of items added to Ooga-Mooga, that's a big undertaking.

On 2014-03-02 18:38, TikiTacky wrote:
Trader Tom definitely deserves more kudos for this.

I want to echo this. I've been visiting Ooga-Mooga frequently the past few weeks and, my gosh, hardly a day goes by without Trader Tom adding some new templates. Sometimes LOTS of new templates. This takes time and no small amount of effort.

For example, a long time ago I got this souvenir Hurricane glass from Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans and I happened to see a picture of it in Beachbum Berry Remixed. Tom researched it and wrote up this whole paragraph on the history of the Hurricane drink, Pat O'Brien's, and the glass. It's superb. Check it out here.

Great work, Tom! Thank you so much.

T

Her sites are 8 shades of awesome.I'd love to participate in Critiki. I sent her an email, but I remember those days of early parenting. I'm no rush. Best wishes to her!

H

Oh my goodness, you guys are so sweet. All of you.

Please don't squabble on my account! The speculation and where-do-we-go-from here are so understandable given the lack of info I've put out there.

Yep, priority one these days is my darling little girl, Wanda. We don't have any family in the area, so I'm her only caregiver. The down time I have isn't enough to wade into programming waters at the moment (try to accomplish too much in a short time, and you get bugs. No bueno.)

But you bet your sweet, sweet okole I'm still into tiki. In a pretty fierce way. I use nearly every scrap of Wanda's nap time working on my home tiki bar. I go to Smuggler's Cove every Tuesday night. And I'm organizing a great big crazy week-long tiki event in San Francisco this September. Tiki is going to have to try harder to get rid of me.

But you really want to know what the plan is with the sites. Critiki I'm planning on getting fixed and up-to-date before I go to Tiki Oasis in August (see you there?). Ooga-Mooga is absolutely still getting a massive, massive update. The work was about 90% done before Wanda came along. No way in hell I'm going to abandon all that work. It's still coming, but not until I can make it a really good experience. My husband is also a developer, so we're now working on that together. I can't make timeline promises right now, all I can say is that it is definitely coming. In the meantime, YES, let's sing Tom's praises! He has been an absolute hero.

Anyway, love you guys. Come have a drink with me some time.

Great news indeed and thanks for all of your hard work and the update on the progress !!!

YAY! Glad to hear you're alive and kicking. Can't wait to see what you're up to. :D

Hooray!

P

Exciting!

Great to hear! Thanks for letting us all know.

S

Great to hear! Nice to meet you, electronically.

P

I was beginning to think Humu was just a legend. :)

R

Sweeeeeeeet super stoked..

Mahalo for all the enthusiasm, folks! I think getting Critiki updated is going to be particularly fun, and has the potential to be shared as a group effort some weekend. I've been thinking about what online tools I would want to use for that (something like a cross between a chat room and a to-do list). When I come up with something, I'll give a shout so that anyone who wants to join in can.

That sounds great. I know a lot of people have a lot of great ideas of things they'd like to be able to do with the sites. I've got a few suggestions myself. :)

Great to hear from you Humu! We all understand. I've been watching Wanda's exploits on FB. What a cutey! Thanks for the update.
Mahalo,
Rick

For anyone searching:

https://mytiki.life/tiki-bars

Quoting Trader Tom:

All the 1,000 locations from Critiki are still covered here and an additional 400 or so of newer and vintage locations that weren't on Critiki. There's no map or user mark-off list, but we have been busy updating the database with more history, current social media links, better photos, and menu images. So there's plenty to have fun with! 🙂

Pages: 1 46 replies