Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SurfBEAT group art show!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 246 replies

B

Oh Yeah, and a HUUUGE thank you to HOLDEN from TIKI FARM for providing FREE TIKI MUGS to early visitors!

75 lucky folks grabbed stylish and unique stoneware from which to sip their libations.

Mrs. BigToe brought home a very stylish (Squid sculped?) skull stack mug.

Mahalos! bT

BOY-YOI-YOI-YOI-YOING!
the SHOW went OFF!
Despite the glitches, mostly unnoticed by the attendees,the show went beautifully and turned out to be a SUCCESS! on a very grand Scale!The joint was FULL...BRIMMING with artists,art lovers,Freaks,Geeks,Hells Angels,Surfers, Skaters,and lotsa LEGENDS all the way til Closing Hour...and then some!Bummed i missed meeting Mr. Vitale,but did get some face-time with the legendary Roy Gonzales and Drew and Maria Brophy,and a surprise intro to Tiki_Kiliki,one of TC's and Tikidom's finest! And finally got to attach a face to a name with Odd Rodney!!!Thanks Tom and Candy for puttin on this GRAND EVENT and for dealing with all the speedbumps!Your Hard Work and LUV showed thru! Thanks Steve...for providing the gallery space and attending! Thanks Jeff for being the behind-the-scenes Ambient Surf Subliminator up in the DJ booth! Great tunes all night!!! And thank you Kate,for adopting the SURF MODERNE piece! I hope it fills your home with happiness and luv! (i just realized...I forgot to write something funny on the back! Next Event!)
I'm still AMPED!
And thanks to all y'all who showed up and helped us to drink all DAT BOOZE! Zoinks! Well, here's some pix-I'll throw comments up where necessary....
and remember...drink ZIPFIZZ!!!

FULL HOUSE!

BIGTOE in SEPIA...

Go BigTikiDude!

Calm before the Storm with jeff and Sperm Whale....or is it Sammy Hagar?

Rad Melvins tee!

Clysdalle doin penance at the bar....

Ozzy Osbourne from the Tikiyaki Orchestra....look! I see JonPaul's dame back there!

TikiBong kevin with his fake tan.....
Hey Look! it's the notorious Bamboo Ben!

the ladies loooooves my big board!

Speaking of love....zee louvers Squid and Bai cuddle by the beer banner...

Hiphipahula on zee prowl!

Boris and Tiki-Kate lost in a world that never understood them....

Another show shot with Ed'sGone Tiki (center-profile)all the way in from Arizona! Good Times!

TikiBong and Lucas Vigor....One word....
TROUBLE! :lol:

Kevin did win in the Coolest Shirt Department!

Dee Snyder played some acoustic Twisted Sister tunes after hours...Here he is preppin for the show....

Crowd shot with DorR-enamel-slinger extraordinnaire! And check out Dave's Not Home's Pale Profile to the left! What a shiney Dork!

Bamboo Ben's mind is dangerous.....

Bill 13:11..my artistic nemesis...well, one of 'em!

Tom(deer in the headlights) BigToe moments before that cord flew up his nose!

The lovely Candy....curatin' at the show!
Hey Candy! Yo Mama! :lol:

Holden gives his approval of the event....

Boris contemplates Al's masterpiece....

my ride.....

Big Toe's ride...

Bamboo Ben's ride....

Al's attention to detail and research are TOP NOTCH!

BUT...can he decipher RONGO-RONGO?

Dirty Deeds done.....DIRT CHEAP!
and on a final note....

Here's Clysdalle proudly showing off his wee baby board...
Good Times....
especially since GROG didn't show up! :)

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
Ain't I'm Clean?

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-03-17 11:01 ]

Friggin Fantastic Show!

The end

Man, I missed seeing everybody. I got to the show around 10:30 after the O'Hurley art show up on Placentia... Good art though. I'm gonna have to come back and take another look at all of the stuff. By the time I got there, I wasn't quite seeing as straight as usual. Can't wait for more shows at the Light.

Great Pix LLT,
thanks for postin,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

R

Awesome Kin!
ZIPFIZZ!

On 2008-03-17 09:44, little lost tiki wrote:

Here's Clysdalle proudly showing off his wee baby board...
Good Times....
especially since GROG didn't show up! :)

:lol: two-in-one! ba-ZIIIIING!

Good Gravy almighty!! Looks and sounds to me like y'all had a heckuva of a good time! Congrats and thanksys to everyone who made this show an awesome show to be a part of. Thanks also to you that posted the pics. Its nice to see all the crazies out and about! I thought about all you a lot over the weekend as I sat at the beach drinking beer, surfing and workin on a few new pieces with my toes in the sand. It helped ease the suffering a bit.

BTD... You go girl! I heard you TRY to plug the show on "Day at the beach" but forgetting the address...DOH!

Missin' all ya I hope to see you all again soon!

Chongz

P.S Did my art make it? Did it get hung in a bathroom stall like LLT promised?

Myspace
Barefoot bloggin'

WOW THAT WAS A GREAT SHOW WE TOO ARE HEADiNG BACK ONCE WE CATCH OUR BREATH

IS was fun meeting so many of the names we see here on TC and seeing the Art work everyone did live rather than on line.

Look forward to the next event !!

[ Edited by: Polly Neezsa the one eared Whaine 2008-03-17 13:54 ]

On 2008-03-16 23:45, Hiphipahula wrote:

On 2008-03-16 07:29, Tiki-Kate wrote:
It was a great show. Tons of art. Tons of people.

Mad props to bigtikidude for creating the perfect atmosphere.

Here's what I bought. Surf Moderne by Ken Ruzic.

So how does it look hanging in your house Kate???? :) Pics?

Umm, Kelly. That's the wall in my living room. It's hanging right next to the bar. Probably shouldn't have gone for the close up, huh? :)

On 2008-03-17 16:20, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2008-03-16 23:45, Hiphipahula wrote:

On 2008-03-16 07:29, Tiki-Kate wrote:
It was a great show. Tons of art. Tons of people.
Mad props to bigtikidude for creating the perfect atmosphere.
Here's what I bought. Surf Moderne by Ken Ruzic.

So how does it look hanging in your house Kate???? :) Pics?

Umm, Kelly. That's the wall in my living room. It's hanging right next to the bar. Probably shouldn't have gone for the close up, huh? :)

well.....you DID post this at 4:20 Kate! :lol:
you two crack me up!

Here you go. See. The painting is next to the bar, near to the Shag print, around the corner from the Tiki Tony painting, above the Bird of Paradise mug...yet all I see is that I desperately need to move the bar stools and run the Swiffer around the room. I think I'll go do that now.

When is everyone going back

to actually see the art?

Another get together (small) or a fend for yourself thang?

Anyone know the hours?

JV

Bummed i missed meeting Mr. Vitale,but did get some face-time with the legendary Roy Gonzales and Drew and Maria Brophy,and a surprise intro to Tiki_Kiliki,one of TC's and Tikidom's finest!

And thanks to all y'all who showed up and helped us to drink all DAT BOOZE! Zoinks!

Well, I guess that proves what kind of night it was....... I introduced myself AND talked with you a few times throughout the night you srewball!! Maybe we'll meet again next time?? That's great.

So besides meeting Ken it was real cool to be out there and get to say hello to a lot of people, and meet some amazing artists. Always great to see the Bamboo's (even with a dead painted rat), Holden, Sir Squid, and the Brophy's who gave me the BIG hook up all weekend (especially Dylan for giving up his bed). It was really a fun night. See you next time.......

On 2008-03-17 19:35, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Here you go. See. The painting is next to the bar, near to the Shag print, around the corner from the Tiki Tony painting, above the Bird of Paradise mug...yet all I see is that I desperately need to move the bar stools and run the Swiffer around the room. I think I'll go do that now.

Kate, where did you get that great shelf above the bar ?

I could really use one of those.

On 2008-03-17 19:35, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Ok so Kate, The painting looks very proportioned in that spot. I know how anal you are about keeping everything all even & balanced :D: Actually real cool bar it's been a while since anyone sat at it I see :roll: maybe you need to have a party. I see you have awesome "firewood" on your hearth.. you know I am kidding......right...?

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-26 01:34 ]

Thanks for making "Surf Moderne" look like it was born to be in your bar,Kate!

Bummed i missed meeting Mr. Vitale,but did get some face-time with the legendary Roy Gonzales and Drew and Maria Brophy,and a surprise intro to Tiki_Kiliki,one of TC's and Tikidom's finest!
And thanks to all y'all who showed up and helped us to drink all DAT BOOZE! Zoinks!

Well, I guess that proves what kind of night it was....... I introduced myself AND talked with you a few times throughout the night you screwball!! Maybe we'll meet again next time?? That's great.
So besides meeting Ken it was real cool to be out there and get to say hello to a lot of people, and meet some amazing artists. Always great to see the Bamboo's (even with a dead painted rat), Holden, Sir Squid, and the Brophy's who gave me the BIG hook up all weekend (especially Dylan for giving up his bed). It was really a fun night. See you next time.......

DUH! :lol:
WOW....I met Joe Vitale and can't even recall it.... So Sorry Mr. V! I'm trying to recall and don't have a face to visualize for reference....It usually takes a couple introductions til it sticks...... Maybe i should've drank more booze and smoked less weed in the parking lot! :lol: Anyways, once i get ahold of a picture of you,the recall will operate better.....i look forward to REALLY meeting you and REMEMBERING it next time.....:(
Note to gallery patrons:
BORROW MONEY FROM KEN DURING RECEPTIONS-HE'LL FORGET TO ASK FOR IT BACK! :lol:

Ken,

Joe V is in the blue plaid....

{img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4956/47de9270.jpg[/img]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2008 9:27 AM

On 2008-03-18 09:19, RevBambooBen wrote:
Ken,

Joe V is in the blue plaid....

DOH!
Yeah...I did meet him, but didn't realize it was JOE VITALE!
NEXT ARTSHOW....NAMETAGS for all the Artists!
Thanks Ernie!

B

tee hee...Lil Lost Tiki is a Space-Cadet-blond.

But a genius too. Name tags for the artists!

Re: Ben's idea, i do want to put together a smaller get-together to talk art and possible toss back a coldy.

should we make it a TC-only event? Or open to all but "13:11"?

regarding hours, Steve is there most days by noon or 2pm, but appointment is HIGHLY advised, call Steve at 714-878-4088.

alohas, toe-truck

TM

Do you ever have one that hangs on for 2-3 days?

Great art. Great people. Great time!

On 2008-03-17 22:15, tikiyaki wrote:

Kate, where did you get that great shelf above the bar ?

I could really use one of those.

The shelf came with the bar. I bought it in '99 in Redlands at a vintage store called The Blues. It's originally from Tropic Isles Furniture in Honolulu.

I think my favorite art show moment was getting to meet Clysdalle's parents and asking them what went wrong. (They seem like such normal people.)

Yaaaayyyyy!~ What an awesome show! Total sensory overload.
I will definitely have to be back for another viewing. Looking through peoples pics I keep seeing things I missed!

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to get this Juggernaut of an art show together!

Thank to everyone who came out and made it such a stellar evening of art, music, conversation and raspberry mojitos!

Met so many fantastic and talented people-I am still in re-call mode (all those biz cards help jog the memory!)

On to the pics!

SOME PEOPLES. . . .

SOME ARTS. . .

SOME SHENANIGANS. . .

T

DAMN !!!!! That was a hell of a show . But there were so many people there you couldnt see the art . I had a great time but I had to leave early .Thanks to ALLLLLLLLLL !

it was nice to sit down on the couches and barber chairs after midnight to actually take in the art.

The Smokin Menahunes are playing this Friday in Fountain Valley.
7 to 9 I think, we should go over to the gallery after.
whaddya think?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 19, 2008 2:59 AM

Thanks for the pics all :D I knew it was gonna be a killa show when I saw the line up - and it didnt disappoint! And a number of TC artists more than held their own over some VERY talented artists - well done guys :D :D :D

The photos are great..so bummed Carson and I missed opening night and seeing some of our TC friends! BigToe and my girl Candy- the show looks fantastic, thanks for letting us be a part of it. If there is a closing night shindig we will be there fer sure!!!
-Megan

B

tee hee, we totally had 2 of my favorite artists, Meghan Besmirched and Carson in our show!

Carson's painting of a healthy young lady on an overcast beach was one of the first to sell.

and YES, Meghan, we will have a closing reception on 4/5 (sorry Grog and BigTikiDude).

bT

I wanna KWAWFEE cup and a MOUSE pad! :lol:
Hilarious Ben!
Who'd of thunk that THIS is the way you make your Millions!!!!!!!
PISS-FINK Trucker cap...
:lol:

Hey I know I'm late in getting this posted but....
Holy Crap that was fun. First gallery show I have been involved with for 10 years or so! It was more like a night at the club.

Thank you to everyone! The introductions, the beer, and the comments on my work. I had about 4 hours of sleep the night before and by 8:00 it was showing. Names...some. Faces...all.

So many people were there that I wanted to meet. I think I stepped on some of their feet not even knowing who it was.

For the record, I left inspired ( how could I not be with all of that great art and artists around). I'm working on a couple of top secret projects that will see the light of day in May....and I filled half a sketch book with ideas that I got at the show for the future.

Special thanks to Big Toe! I don't know how he found me but he did, and the invitation was too much to pass up.

Keep inviting me and Ill keep showing up.

Thanks

E

Well this is my first time posting here, but want to send out A Huge Thanks to everyone who rolled thru for SurfBeat. I have a feeling it will be remembered as one of the funnest gathering of Krazy's ever assembled under one roof, (only to be surpassed by the SurfBEAT closing reception on APRIL 5th!)
There was so much entertaining and Inspiring work to see, I am still soaking it all in.. :o
It was a lot of work just trying to coordinate everything, but was well worth it seeing the stoked reactions to all the art!

The LightGallery couldn't have pulled it all together without the tireless assistance of the bigTOE, The Candy, the LLT (now better known as big Kahuna Kinny),Battleborn Jen, Nibbler, Link and all the participating Artists who helped make it happen! A special thanks to the BIG Tiki Dude for providing so many killer tunes thru the evening. All those years of unearthing classic vinyl lp's and 45's really gave the night an authentic feel, and we hope to have him back soon. Perhaps we'll put together a happy hours of surf/exotica/garage evening in the near future?? Special thanks to Holden of Tiki Farm for providing the mugs for everyone's libations! We had planned to give out Don Ho commerative souvenir glasses,but they were buried in the storage room. Which means lucky for you, we'll be serving cocktails in them for you all at the SurfBEAT closing reception! We'll have some more artwork that didn't arrive in time, another chance to see what you missed opening night, as well as some more surprises in store for ya!
Cheers,
Stvn

ETseven

Bangkok!
Are you taking our sales and flying to Exotic locales?
You'll be back for the Closing Reception i hope!
If not FED-EX Toe the key to the gallery! :lol:

Im very proud to be a part of this great show ! Sadly i couldnt be there ! Thanks to Big Toe and Tok-Tok for everything !
Krazy Tiki from germany

On 2008-03-19 21:06, ETseven wrote:
Well this is my first time posting here, but want to send out A Huge Thanks to everyone who rolled thru for SurfBeat. I have a feeling it will be remembered as one of the funnest gathering of Krazy's ever assembled under one roof

A special thanks to the BIG Tiki Dude for providing so many killer tunes thru the evening. All those years of unearthing classic vinyl lp's and 45's really gave the night an authentic feel, and we hope to have him back soon. Perhaps we'll put together a happy hours of surf/exotica/garage evening in the near future??

Cheers,
Stvn

Hey Steve,
Wow!! thanks for the compliment man.
I am sorry I cannot be at the closing night reception,
But yes, please keep me in the loop for future tiki or surf shows.

Blushing,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-03-21 08:18, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2008-03-19 21:06, ETseven wrote:
Well this is my first time posting here, but want to send out A Huge Thanks to everyone who rolled thru for SurfBeat. I have a feeling it will be remembered as one of the funnest gathering of Krazy's ever assembled under one roof

A special thanks to the BIG Tiki Dude for providing so many killer tunes thru the evening. All those years of unearthing classic vinyl lp's and 45's really gave the night an authentic feel, and we hope to have him back soon. Perhaps we'll put together a happy hours of surf/exotica/garage evening in the near future??

Cheers,
Stvn

Hey Steve,
Wow!! thanks for the compliment man.
I am sorry I cannot be at the closing night reception,
But yes, please keep me in the loop for future tiki or surf shows.

Blushing,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

BTD,

Can you burn some discs for them to play??

Maybe they can put a picture of your face on a stick up in the booth.

Better than nothing.....

Yeah I can Make them some cdrs to play.

and while I'm at it, I'll make you some too,
which I promised you a year ago.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-03-21 18:09 ]

On 2008-03-21 18:06, bigtikidude wrote:
Yeah I can Make them some cdrs to play.

and while I'm at it, I'll make you some too,
which I promised you a year ago.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-03-21 18:09 ]

Cool!

.....and while your at it.....you might want to burn several, and kinda sellem' on daside!!

Your pourpose has been found!!

why that would be illegal Ben....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Its only illegal if you get caught . Personally I would like a copy of the music someone put together for the show . But I dont want one of those illegal copies......(wink, wink )

D

Jeff, just make the copies as your own "back up copies". It is always a good idea to make back ups and keep them in a safe place.

B

For those of u local to the OC, Pick up this weekends OC WEEKLY.

The SurfBEAT show is the LEAD story in the "calendar" section. with a half-page photo of Scott "Space Ghost" Aicher's dead elvis surfer painting. Candy's beatnik girl is in table of contents, and Dirk Haye's fabulous bongo-playing monkey is with the article. mad pub!

alohas, Toe-nail

T

Hey Toe-Nail,
why don´t you make a copy of this and post it here? I´d love to read it.
It all looked like big fun to me, sadly I wasn´t there. Does anyone have some more pictures to show?

Special THANX to BIG TOE & CANDY for their hospitality at SURFBEAT, quite a splash!

It was a pleasure to meet, ATOMIC KITTY, what a doll, BAMBOO BEN & his perished pet, SPARKS & her fatefull cards, COOL CRAZY AL, DAMIAN & ASHLEY, & TRISHA, if I knew she was going to take a rat home, I would have had even a better night!

Was nice to sea, RUZNIC, KATE, BORIS, D-LO, DAVE & KIM, RUSTY & all the rest!

SURFBEATEN

~LINK DAVID
FRAME FETISH

B

EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR TIKI CENTRAL PEEPS:

We had 2 submissions to the SurfBEAT show that were not able to be included in the show due to a "contractural conflict".

We are offering these 2 unique paintings on the 'down-low' to our friends on tiki central as a set.

The first is a Rick Reitveld interpretation of the famous Phil Roberts portrait of Dale Velsy for the cover of the self-same's biography "The Hawk".

The companion painting is a Phil Roberts re-imagining of the famous Rick Rietveld mermaid painting called Spring, and includes an amazing likeness of Mr. Rietveld.

The paintings are offered at $800 for the set, plus shipping.

the offer will go to wider distribution in a week or so.

Please contact me for more info.

alohas,

tom

[ Edited by: bigtoe 2008-03-24 12:51 ]

pics?
Can we at least see some PICS?
PUH-LEASE!?!?
:lol:
EDITED! THANK YOU!

Visit http://www.kenruzic.com
Ain't I'm Clean?

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2008-03-25 09:52 ]

um, nice camera phone pics Ansel Adams now is that how you sell art???? :wink:

B

i'm not gonna tell u who took those shots, but i think he was stoned.

but they are better than the shots i didnt take.

ansel adams...tee hee

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 246 replies