Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Complete Tiki Spain

Pages: 1 2 3 137 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Apr 25, 2011 8:57 AM

Lonely Planet review for Mondo Tiki

Unwind to the soothing sounds of lounge in gay and gay-friendly Mondo Tiki .

Calle Méndez Núñez 3 Old Town Malaga Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jun 24, 2011 1:00 PM

Zombie
Made in Spain
From the "Super Monstruos" coleccion especial.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2011 6:49 PM

On 2008-10-16 14:39, Zeta wrote:

On 2008-08-14 07:36, hiltiki wrote:
Zeta, I have to agree with you on the fact that old tiki mugs are made much nicer than the new ones. I try to collect vintage tiki mugs. One thing I like the best besides the design factor is the fact that the old mugs in general with the exception of some of the coffee grog mugs are real thin and lighter in weight and it is easier to hold and drink from. I have some new mugs but usually I don't serve drinks in them, they are pretty thick, I wonder why?

Aloha caballeros!

The main difference between vintage American and Spanish mugs is that American mugs are made of clay, that's why they are lighter, Spanish mugs are made of porcelain and that's what make them heavier.

A picture of another vintage mug from my collection...
Hasta luego amigos!

Z

on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270793475425

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Oct 19, 2011 8:51 AM

This thread deserves more action... It's like it's being kept silent on propose for some secret private interest. If you read this, and you want some more Spanish Tiki Action, just clap your hands and say yeah!
Almost 20.000 views on this thread, but almost no feedback! Come on you lurkers! I know you are out there! Just show your face and say Hi! It's Ok, you can blog about my investigation without crediting me, but at least say hola to me. Otherwise, I don't even know if there's an appreciation for the Spanish Tiki Theme! It's like the tree that falls in the middle of the woods. If there's nobody there to listen, does it make a sound when it falls?

Anyone, just say, "I want some more" and I will keep this gorgeous thread alive! I still got tons of tiki beauty to share here with you.
Does anyone have a question for The artist that created the style 50 years ago? It's my personal friend, I will be happy to ask him!

T

Well I like it. I like Spanish Tiki and I like pictures and there are a lot of pics to oogle at. I don't have a lot to

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Dec 20, 2011 10:36 PM

This post is for teaKEY!

I just want to tell anyone into Tiki international that the Maestro creator of the Spanish Tiki Style is sad because his deserved credit in the Tiki History is not credited.
Almost all Tiki bibliography, museums and mainstream collectors guiltily ignore it.
The Maestro is old. He wants to tell the story straight. Once and for all.
Tiki brotherhood, Please help me write the Spanish Tiki History book.
Please ask Him anything Spanish Tiki.

He wants to revitalize the international tiki scene, he just don't care about computers or English.

Zeta, I so agree! I think it's just hard to ask questions for folks here when they don't know HOW and WHERE to even begin:

Spanish Tiki history is a complete mystery to almost all of us, me included. To ask intelligent questions, one has to have some basic knowledge, context, and reference. You have to set up a basic structure, a timeline perhaps, like:

WHAT was the first Tiki bar in Spain? When and where did it open? (I know you answered some of this previously, but let's start from zero, please)

WHO opened it, and WHY?

Did your man have any connection with the place or people involved?

(These are just ideas to keep the dialogue going)

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2012 8:09 AM

Aloha Bigbro,

So let's make a book together.

"El Maestro" the artist himself, (which means NEW ORIGINAL ART by his holy hands) Mister Naufrago, You and Me.
And of course our friends at Tiki Central. (Dustycajun, KC, Sabu, Hummuhummu, Kate (R.I.P.), Mimi Payne, TikiNomad, Etc...)

Deal?

We need a tiki lawyer.

...and a Tiki agent, and most of all: a Tiki sponsor! Then I can come over, and rent some lights and we spend several weeks touring and shooting the bars in Spain and Portugal!

There is a Tiki Bar on Fueteventura in the Canary Islands called Waikiki, quite a big modern place with a few different bars and a restaurant, they have mugs too.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 5:49 PM

Thanx CheekyTiki, anymore details? ...

So, BigBroTiki... No Sponsor, no deal? I think we have waited enough on this one. We need a selling pitch anyway. A draft.

95% of Spanish Tiki Bars are long gone anyway.

The four of us, El Maestro, Mister Naufrago, BigBroTiki (you representing the TC clique) and Arizaleta Myself (formerly known as Zeta), could make an OUTSTANDING book with 200+ pages.
I cannot wait any longer. I have to publish that book while the Maestro creator of the Spanish Tiki Art is alive. Right now he is great, but he is in his eighties and anyway, WHY WAIT!?

Nobody sponsor me and my field work. I have traveled far and wide in Latin countries in the search for tiki. It's the time to share it COMPLETELY.

BigBroTiki.
It's our Tiki duty and you know it.
We are waiting for you.
Tiki is in a political immobility crisis!

¡Viva la Tiki Revolución!

I agree there is no time like now to do it. But it's not like I am sitting on my ass waiting for someone to kiss it. I am simply broke. I cannot travel, and without a few basic lights, I cannot adequately photograph the places. At this point, I would do it to simply document the places and people before they go way, and think about publishing later, but I am unable to do - verdad!

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 6:42 PM

BigBroTiki, I believe you. I am not suggesting you want kiss ass. I don't need to anyway... I need you to make this book as COMPLETE as possible.

If you cannot go to the mountain, let the mountain come to you.
Your German jaw would drop if you saw the art/story/pictures we have collected in a 50+ year period.
All you have to do is exemplify everything tiki outside of Latin Countries (Spain/Mexico mostly). Tell the story of tiki in America before the Spanish contact. Also TIKI IN EUROPE (like in Germany and France). Then, we put it together as a book, then we win.

DO IT.

You know you want it.

We could start a private forum maybe, to prepare the book, as a draft/database.

Tiki Central Unite!!!

The Waikiki Beach Club, Corralejo, Fueteventura

Tiki Restaurant, Lounge and Bar, Paseo Maritimo 21, Torremolinos.

Don't know much more that the photos.

Books with pictures are nice.

DC

The way I am envisioning the book is that the only CONTEMPORARY photos in it will be of:

A.) Glamour photos of the many fantastic mugs

B.) Portraits of the surviving artists, and bar owners perhaps

C.) Interiors and exteriors that show ONLY authentic, vintage 70s Tiki elements, so that we do not blur the line between original, unique Spanish Tiki and today's nouveaux Tiki.

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2012 1:37 PM

CheekyTiki, Mahalo for sharing. I have never been there... Seems kinda new. What else do we know about it? Why don't you start a thread.

DustyCajun. Thanks for the support as always. Real tiki diplomat. I agree, books with pictures are nice. :)
I been to that place in Torremolinos. It's new and "chill-out""Ibiza" spirited. No tiki mugs. No classic Polynesian cocktails. They have napkins with the logo printed on it put pretty much that's it. The kind of place "normal" people go to. Not my type. Give me dust, give me moldy tikis.

BigBroTiki

A) I want as little contemporary photos as possible. In that, we all agree. The older, the better.
The mugs already have GORGEOUS illustrations and pictures of them in situ. Anyway, we definitively need some of your Hollywood tiki style of lighting for many of them, so don't worry, there's hundreds of them to picture.

B) Portraits of the artist, there's just one main creator, and some other rare cases, but mainly just one person. I have a picture of him from the 70's where he is next to a tiki! Good book material. There's many other artist and famous people related to tiki in spain, but in a superficial way. Visitors, tikiphiles etc...

C)The few remaining Tiki bar owners really take care of their temples, so we can still get mostly unchanged environments, and detail shots. But also, the artist has MANY super high quality concept drawings of the fassades and construction details, decor... There's just so much material to choose from that we could put it all together online... Choosing only the very best.

The way I picture the book is we go Mondo.

Mondo Tiki.

5 continents 1 tiki god

Chapter 1 THE REAL THING / OCEANIA

Chapter 2 between wars avaunt-gardes (dada, surrealism, cubism, etcisms and tiki,) Museum stuff. Gaugain, Picasso, etc...

Chapter 3 New origins. USA the hyper real thing

Chapter 4 Tiki Spain (The cult exemplified)

Chapter 5 Tiki Europe

Chapter 6 Rest of the world Tiki (Mexico, Japan, Middle East, etc...) This chapter with a little help from our tiki friends.

Did you know that the 4 of us, el Maestro, Mr. Naufrago, Bigbrotiki and myself come from 4 different countries? Isn't that cool? International style. NOTE: (The Maestro wouldn't have to appear as one of the authors. He just deserves a whole chapter.)

I need you to orchestrate it. And to be responsible for the rest of Tiki Europe and the USA chapter.

Let's set a date for a first draft. We could publish them as fascicles and in the end bind them together as a book. (just an idea)

Let the new tiki golden age begin!

Zeta, I am very sorry but right now I cannot spend any time on this very worthy project. I have THREE very real deadlines to meet with writing and researching to be done. Plus I need to figure out how to make some money for my mortgage. These are very pressing concerns that need to be addressed first and foremost.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Feb 23, 2012 8:36 PM

Bigbrotiki,

after 5 years of privately talking about this book project with you, your answer sucks.

If you plan to write about Tiki in Spain in the future (which I know you will), please ask me first. I'm willing to help. I'm the expert and I legally represent the artist who created 95% of the art. He is still alive and kicking. remember that.

Just like you warn visitors about copyright infringements on your tikieurope.com webpage, I warn you. I will not tolerate fake or false credit on future tiki books, exhibits etc... on the Tiki Spain subject.

The artist deserves his credit. No more pretending he doesn't exist. No more playing dumb like Jay Strongman on his Tiki Mugs book... No more "innocent" ignorance.

Porcelanas Pavon are fake, like your Contemporary Idol mugs. You are stealing from the original artist and that is not cool.

Where is your urban archeologist rigor?
You cannot/should not document Incomplete Tiki Spain. This is the last unexplored tiki region and you know it.

My door is always open for you or anyone who wants to write a serious piece on the subject.

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME AND MR. NAUFRAGO WRITING THE MONDO TIKI BOOK? We need/want an American/USA partner. Tiki author wanted. (If nobody is interested, we will do it on our own, but I really want the American collaboration because it's fair, necessary and needed. We want our book COMPLETE.)

Also, Hakalugi, if you could help us organizing a tikicentral group collaboration, I would be really thankful.

TIKI CENTRAL PEOPLE. I need your help to make this book and get it published in AMERICA. Home birth of the new Tiki cult.

This is serious.

Aloha or die.

Look pal, you got the passion, I give you that, but you gotta cut out that paranoid macho B.S.!!! You just accused me of "stealing" on my main public forum! When I had that limited number of mugs produced by P.P. years ago, I knew nothin' of no other artist. And you know what? I still don't know much more, only some vague claims you have been making about you knowing the originator of it all. That is wonderful! Now go do something with it! I have no idea what TikiEurope says, it is not my website. I have never made any "innocent" claims that P.P. or Kon-Ids were originals, because: Who really cares? Until you have not written and outlined the whole history of Spanish Tiki, it does not exist - except in your head. You have to educate and inspire people first to make them care.

I feel your pain for not feeling empowered to do this, but I am not holding some magic key to your ability to do so. I have pledged my support for the project, but first there has to be a project. Second, you gotta drop that persecution complex about the great injustices committed to your friend and get a sense of humor about it all. Tiki culture was also a business, in business there was always competition, and competition also meant copying, which meant stealing. You wanna concentrate on the negative? Be my guest, you and the other miss-understood artists of the world can wallow self-pity, but I tell you what: No one wants to hear it. If I would have written the History of Tiki from that angle, it would have been one long bitch session about how Donn Beach was ripped off by everyone, and how everyone tried to chisel in on everyone else's business, yada yada yada - what a load of fun reading that would have made! A real laugh riot, I tell ya!

Look: I know it's frustrating to have no publisher and no distribution, and I know you feel like time is running out. But I have no magic spell that will make it happen, I only got lucky a couple of times myself. In this world economy, our passion is a luxury that no one wants to go out on limb for. You gotta do it yourself or it won't get done. And I am doing the things that I know I CAN do with my limited resources and that WILL happen. YOU make something happen, I will pitch in, but it's gotta be more than indignant proclamations of all the perceived wrongs perpetrated on you.

I Concur.....

M

It is 2012 now. Is the maestro still alive?

V

zeta, why don't you want to make a book about tiki Spain only ? what's the point of incorporating USA and other countries wich clearly have not the same roots and identity on it ? you could just make an introduction on the tiki movement worldwide, but I don't see the need to talk about European Tiki or Mexico on the same book. Just make a book about the Maestro. When it's done, find a publisher, I'm sure you'll find one. You know we'll all buy it.
Why don't you interview the Maestro for that book, take pictures, then, you'll have all the answers you want and you won't be time pushing.

just my opinion.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, May 10, 2013 1:09 PM

Kona Lei
Madrid

T

Any closer to getting this book done?
Looks like there's tiki in Spain.

You still working on this Zeta now that your back?

T

On 2012-02-23 20:36, Zeta wrote:
Bigbrotiki,

after 5 years of privately talking about this book project with you, your answer sucks.

If you plan to write about Tiki in Spain in the future (which I know you will), please ask me first. I'm willing to help. I'm the expert and I legally represent the artist who created 95% of the art. He is still alive and kicking. remember that.

Just like you warn visitors about copyright infringements on your tikieurope.com webpage, I warn you. I will not tolerate fake or false credit on future tiki books, exhibits etc... on the Tiki Spain subject.

The artist deserves his credit. No more pretending he doesn't exist. No more playing dumb like Jay Strongman on his Tiki Mugs book... No more "innocent" ignorance.

Porcelanas Pavon are fake, like your Contemporary Idol mugs. You are stealing from the original artist and that is not cool.

Where is your urban archeologist rigor?
You cannot/should not document Incomplete Tiki Spain. This is the last unexplored tiki region and you know it.

My door is always open for you or anyone who wants to write a serious piece on the subject.

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME AND MR. NAUFRAGO WRITING THE MONDO TIKI BOOK? We need/want an American/USA partner. Tiki author wanted. (If nobody is interested, we will do it on our own, but I really want the American collaboration because it's fair, necessary and needed. We want our book COMPLETE.)

Also, Hakalugi, if you could help us organizing a tikicentral group collaboration, I would be really thankful.

TIKI CENTRAL PEOPLE. I need your help to make this book and get it published in AMERICA. Home birth of the new Tiki cult.

This is serious.

Aloha or die.

"(If nobody is interested, we will do it on our own)"
Lots of new tiki books coming out this one needs to be next.
You can do it!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2016 4:32 PM

Gracias Tikiskip! I appreciate it!
And Yes! the book is coming! Dr. Alderete agreed to design it and I already have some publishers interested (still open to offers)... BUT! I need all the help I can get from all of you fellow tiki friends! Hi Res images mainly. And support! Its hard to do PRO BONO Tiki work in this day an age. So, please, share your thoughts, ideas, hopes and dreams! Tiki needs us!
Maybe we could crowd fund it and publish it all together.

PM me if you want my email to send me images or whatever. All contributors will get their credit and a special Tiki blessing... maybe a signed copy or a date if you are a pretty girl. :wink:

T

Well don't see much tiki from Spain/Mexico here in Ohio but if I do will post it here for sure.

"maybe a signed copy or a date if you are a pretty girl."

Have always had the most fun with them, good plan.
A place with no women is many times a placed called prison here in USA.
Not good.

Just surfing the internet to see if I could find more on the mysterious C. Martinu (pre Arte 4 and Porcelanas Pavon) and I ran across these pictures (two of which have already been shared in this thread, but the lion foot mug is intriguing!).

I found them here:
https://es.wallapop.com/item/porcelana-calidad-firmada-por-c-martinu-34511018

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2017 6:21 PM

Well done Trader Tom!
Once I saw a real elephant foot ashtray!!! in Mexico´s Lagunilla flea market. Cra zy. Guess the lion foot is the same concept.

I launched a comic book called Mota Comix (we are on facebook), and thats why I been away from Tiki... BUUUT, I will go back to the spanish tiki book soon.

Mahalo for the interest!

All secrets will be revealed!

I

Hi Zeta!

I'm an American tiki junkie living in Javea. I'm also a photographer, so if there is any help I can provide, by all means let me know!

Best,

J

I've been through the Spain visiting: Hula Hula and Maui Bar in Lloret de Mar; Kahiki, Aloha and Kahala bars in Barcelona; Hawaika in Valencia; Aloha in Alicante; Mauna Loa, Hawai Waipahu Paradise and Tiki Chateau in Madrid; also Bora-Bora in Lisbon, Portugal.

Both bars in Lloret de Mar I cannot classify as tiki bars. Hula Hula was old time place with good tiki decor (common in Spain), Maui Bar was modern one, but none of them had anything more than decor. Cocktails were all awful, very simple, propably didn't content more than two ingredients, disrespectfully they used names of classic tiki cocktails (Maui Bar had Zombie as tequila-cocktail for example). Music was awful in both of them. Both places were only meant for party kids of rich german parents. For me these are not tiki bars.

Kahiki, Aloha, Kahala, Hawaika, Mauna Loa and Bora-Bora... ain't much tiki bars also. Cocktails (disrespectfully occasionally using names of classic tiki drinks) are total crap, the worst one I got from Bora-Bora, pure blackberry syrup was given me as Dr. Funk poured directly from plastic container. Barmen do not know nor do not want to know nothing of real tiki cocktails nor real tiki culture. Music is crap, in every one of them! All they have is good tiki decor and porcelain spanish-style tiki mugs (mostly Pavon and Arte 4, in Bora-Bora there was also Vicente Munoz mugs, mostly without sign of manufacturer on the bottom, that were came from previous Bora-Bora located in Madrid) from the past.

Hawai Waipahu Paradise is latino bar located in latino area of the city, cocktails are same fruity crap as in most of Spanish tiki-kinda-bars, it's a place for beer. Hawai Waipahu Paradise strongly reminded me those local bars from Ecuador to Guatemala, where, you know, wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am... They should just remove all that tiki-stuff and be only a pure latino-bar and in this case it would be even outstanding latino bar (being outside of Latin America), but now as a tiki bar - crap.

But real tiki culture in Spain still exists... thanks to following two places:
Aloha bar in the center of Alicante... The place is made and run by young tiki enthusiast who's mixing more-or-less authentic real tiki cocktails and having his own tiki drink named Mistery Drink which I'd say was really maybe the best tiki cocktail that I've ever had, perfectly balanced and rich of taste. The place is shy by decors and music ain't much tiki, easy carribean style instead, but has deep tiki soul.
Tiki Chateau in the dive bar area of Madrid... This is a "must go" tiki spot for all tiki-people. Place is done and run by true tiki enthusiast, who is experienced on tiki mixology and tiki culture as a whole, real nice guy, very interesting to talk with. Drinks are authentic, music is soft '60s rockabilly including lot of movie-era Elvis tracks. Music selection is due to local customers for whom the exotica melodies just doesn't work. Anyway... a real great place.

So... There ain't much tiki in Spain (if we are not talking about history, but present!), only few lonely rangers swimming upstream.

Wow! It seems what we have here is e a stellar example of the "New Cocktailian" generation that believes that Tiki culture is all about COCKTAILS:

"...Kahiki, Aloha, Kahala, Hawaika, Mauna Loa and Bora-Bora... ain't much tiki bars also. All they have is good tiki decor and porcelain spanish-style tiki mugs..."

Talk about putting the cart in front of the horse! Cocktails are but ONE FACET of the art genre of Tiki. These places are amazing time warps that speak of the boundless inspiration that American Tiki style provided beyond its borders. I agree with you about the lack of quality of the cocktails - it's what it is. Before you come on here and insult these authentic examples of Tiki culture, do your research!

Your attitude of entitlement is a sad show of the ignorance and arrogance of over-tourism.

J
Jürka posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2019 4:49 PM

In my opinion there is 3 criteriums which makes a bar to be called tiki bar or not (I'm not saying "good tiki bar", but just "tiki bar on lowest limits"): decor, music and cocktails (2 of 3 would be fine). And these spanish classic tiki bars have only decor (and history), that's all. These bars don't even care about tiki (it's not a same as being proud of their own business history). They have a place in hand which they just keep running, a business. I am talking about present, not history. It's a treasure from past that is not taken good care of, archeological site, not a tiki bar.

And if we are talking about bars, ofcourse drinks are the base of it. Some are more into carving, some are into music, some in history of origin etc., I'm into whole soup, but it's hard to run cervezeria if you have no cerveza, or to keep cafe if you can't offer coffee... Pop-tiki culture bases on restaurants/bars, not bowling or theme parks or home decor styles etc.

T

A few people like TC folks here will go to tiki bars of old just for the décor and be ok and find that a good night out.

BUT the rest of their clientele is going to want more than that and will not support places that don't also have at least good drinks and food.

Plus I have at events and other tiki bars seen tiki people that don't buy a damn thing when they go out, if they have a drink in their hand nine times out of ten it was bought for them or is Ice Tea for the free refills.

I can tell ya these places can't stay open selling Ice Tea and a handful of drinks to a few tiki nutz.

So we do need to spend money at these places for them to stay open.
Would you make tons of tiki mugs if people only looked at them and said "wow those are nice"

People here would get all boozed up before going to one tiki bar here to save money, that place is closed now.

You need to support our tiki bars (As in with cash)

Disclaimer, if a new tiki bar isn't that hot I don't go there that much as my thing is mostly the old ones, we don't even go to new other restaurants/bars.

A few new tiki bars have wowed us.

On 2019-01-09 05:45, tikiskip wrote:
A few people like TC folks here will go to tiki bars of old just for the décor and be ok and find that a good night out.

The Wife and I will go to a place for the history of it. And we can be wowed by it. The Alibi in Portland is a great example. The drinks were not great. They weren't awful, but nothing we couldn't get at any other bar. The music was 70s rock and it felt more like a biker bar than anything. I know some folks adore it for what it is, but we won't be back, unless we have an urge to soak up that history. It's just too depressing to see what it should be as opposed to what it currently is. Sounds like Spain's tiki establishment are suffering from this, only turned up to 11.

If there is one thing the Spanish and Portugese Tiki bars are suffering from it is a new generation of spoiled craft cocktail imbibers that do not appreciate the fact that they have come upon amazing TIME WARPS, rare spaces full of original, unaltered pop art that have survived night club fashions from disco to grunge. Yes we all know good cocktails are needed to keep a place going, I don't need to hear that. These places INCREDIBLE TEMPLES TO TIKI!!!- see for yourself!:

To behold the above, and then proclaim that "there ain't much Tiki in Spain" because of lack of cocktail knowledge is nothing short of petty ignorance!

J

Tiki bar with bikers' music... That's what I'm talking about... I would like to have a beer in bikers' bar, but it's totally another thing than going to tiki bar. What's the main idea of tiki bars? Ok, maybe not even tiki cocktails... but giving that exotic far away exotic feeling... And the music is the number one detail that makes the mood (depends on person). Even if everything else is right, but '90 disco fills the room, sorry, that kills everything... Decor doesn't matter any more, even not drinks... It's the same as you try to read the book, newspaper or to study, and somebody is just screaming non-stop in your ear (or your apartment neighbor is rehearsing for his next gig and he is a player in heavy metal band)... You read one word for twenty times without understanding what you are reading and then you switch back to previous word, because you don't remember it any more, and even worse, you get confused which page you are presently reading... That's the efect of wrong music in tiki bar... For now I've been in about 20 tiki bars in around the Europe, and this same effect is pretty much in all of them, so... I really don't believe I will waste much more my money in any tiki bars, I'll leave my aloha shirts at home next time I go for travel... European tiki bars just cannot offer this main idea, feeling, for what I would step into tiki bar. I would step into Münich Trader Vic's again, and I did not cry a one tear of any euro I spent there. That's the point of spending money... 7 euro drink in spanish classic tiki bar is more expensive than 15 euro drink in Trader Vic's...

J

Bigbrotiki! That's the point - "see"! But I have more organs in my body, I have ears, I can feel taste, I can feel and I can think... These are great places for photography, but being a tiki bar means something more... It's not only visual... About cocktails, times are changed... Well, but in Valencia, in Madrid, I stepped into cocktail bars who offered really good cocktails, classics, also their own... and nothing like "do it cheap but fancy"-style. This are honorable cocktail-bars, tiki bar should be cocktail-bar, at first, which does its thing in exotic style, polynesian style, as it was times ago. Simple. These bars which we are talking about... is nothing like that... In my first post... Tell me, about what I was wrong about? Decor, yes, spanish mugs, yes, history yes, present no, cocktails no, music no, attitude no. I have nothing personal against them, but how they manage their thing, it's very wrong, lousy way and gives only deep dissappointment when visiting tiki for its purpose.

J

Incredible temples... I didn't say otherwise... Point is in following. Long time ago different cultures has built their temples to worship their gods and to do their rituals. These places are still temples, but covered by tourists clicking tourist photos or selfies, licking ice-cream and some dreaming of what there was long time ago before us. Still temple, but purpose is changed, it's not about gods and rituals, but history and tourism. Similar to those tiki temples, in other words "well preserved ruins" (ok, "ruins" is not correctly said as these are very much in original condition, but the point is the same, it ain't serving as temples for what it was built).

[ Edited by: Jürka 2019-03-18 15:53 ]

S
santa posted on Thu, Mar 21, 2019 1:22 AM

Anything more in the last six years?

J

Yes, well, talking about spanish mugs... I believe that this monkey mug (left one on photo, smaller, is ceramic) is shaped after or at least strongly influenced by Gibraltar barbary macaques (Spain has no monkeys in their country, maybe in Ceuta only)... Every time I see a Gibraltar macaque holding this mug, drinking cocktail... I have no doubt...

Pages: 1 2 3 137 replies